Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior L.E.D. lights...nice or rice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:21 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior L.E.D. lights...nice or rice?

ok... the modding bug has hit me... first the drop, then wheels. then tires, then tints, and tailights... now i'm considering L.E.D. interior lights. in particular the 9 led lights package from tektoyz (in blue)

my question is do you think it is a "clean" look, or more "ricey"

I don't want a "ricey" look, and that's not to offend those who might have the lights already. I personally think it looks very unique. I also think monitors on the visors are unique, i just wouldn't do it myself...

so to each their own.

I guess what I'm asking is for the general consensus among tuners and "lay-folk" are modded Interior lights (color or otherwise) looked upon as "ricey"

PS. in the kit from tektoys, I know (or think I do) where the 6 wedge bulbs go... but the 2 single LED's... where are they used?

-sequoia
Old 08-28-2006, 07:25 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Except for factory LED interior lighting, I'd say rice.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:38 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Have you seen em in person? Looks clean and luxurious especially in white. I'll post some pics soon.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:50 PM
now with four rings

definitely not ricey...i think the white makes it look very clean and stands out in the night...i don't think any color except white would look good on the inside and even the white has a tint of blue to it...unless you're a neon-lighting whore, it won't look ricey...here's a pic of mine...looks better in person...

Old 08-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I have them in blue and they look great. Do and search and see for yourself.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
as long as it's good quality LEDs and the coloration isn't too flaky, it's a nice difference, where people notice them at night.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
It's not rice if done tastefully. Check out all the pictures. And remember it is you who must be happy with them, and if you decide you like them, go for them. This is one of the easier and cheaper mods to make your TL a little distinctive and unique.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:08 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
If you consider 'Rice' to be standing out, then Red might be considered 'ricey' and to a lesser extent Blue (I think it looks fine though). White looks like a bright, crisp, clean light though.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:09 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron A
It's not rice if done tastefully.
Very true. I've seen great looking TL's with both blue and white interior lights and the "rice" thought was the last thing that came to mind.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
rimz, from the picture...it looks like the OEM lighting looks brighter. How is your in person ? Is it brighter than the OEM? I like the OEM bulbs since they seem brighter than the white bulb ones...although those hyper whites are super nice especially if you have a lighter color interior, I have WDP with Parch btw.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:51 PM
now with four rings

Originally Posted by coykiam
rimz, from the picture...it looks like the OEM lighting looks brighter. How is your in person ? Is it brighter than the OEM? I like the OEM bulbs since they seem brighter than the white bulb ones...although those hyper whites are super nice especially if you have a lighter color interior, I have WDP with Parch btw.
see that orangeish hue hanging around my car in that pic...? it's from a light right behind my car and i wasn't up for moving it when i took the picture...it kinda took away from the hyperwhite color in my car...like i said, it looks a lot better in person...honestly, i don't think they are AS bright as the OEM lights, but it's still clearly visible in the car when they are on...i actually prefer this kind of lighting -- it's not as bright, more dim and low-key with the unique lighting compared to other cars...i love it! here's another view...yes it's a lil blurry (i didn't use the tripod)...mmmmmaybe it'll give you a better idea...

i got mine from brian at tec-toyz...he's easy to get along with and ships fast to you...believe me, people will do a double-take at night when they see your interior lights fade on and the doors open...all the while you play it off like a P.I.M.P. and drive off...
Old 08-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Racer

Ive gotten a ton of compliments on my white LEDs. They definitely look nice. Blue might be a bit much and obviously aftermarket
Old 08-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just my , but I think the LEDs look great.
For my TL, I went with Platinum SuperWhite PIAAs for the domes (I thought the white LEDs looked too cold and 'clinical', but your results may vary), but used PIAA blue LEDs in my doors:

I get compliments on them everywhere I go.....
Old 08-28-2006, 10:47 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
ok this makes me want to get them, now i cant decide whether to go with blue or white
Old 08-28-2006, 10:58 PM
VS#03

Originally Posted by erok72
Just my , but I think the LEDs look great.
For my TL, I went with Platinum SuperWhite PIAAs for the domes (I thought the white LEDs looked too cold and 'clinical', but your results may vary), but used PIAA blue LEDs in my doors:

I get compliments on them everywhere I go.....
I have the same setup and I'm very happy with it too
Old 08-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go for blue

I also have the blue LEDs. They match perfectly with the blue in the dash instruments and the ambient blue light from above the center console!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
iv'e got 9 LEDs in superwhite for the interiors and 6LEDs in blue in the doors from tec-toyz...i agree it's not as bright as stock but to me it gives off a more subtle brightness to the interior...not ricey at all..i'll post pics when i get a chance...
Old 08-29-2006, 05:32 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

DEFINITELY not rice, they are beautiful, clean and professional

I have the white 9LED from tech-toyz...can't comment on the blue though, and mind you, mine's royal blue pearl...

get the white, they really are beautiful, clean and far from ricey....BLUE though may be a bit more ricey, not quite uncle ben's, more like minute rice
Old 08-29-2006, 06:20 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm strongly considering this too. I already bought some blue bulbs for the doors and dome lights, then I saw the interior lights and started considering it. I think it will look good, and if not I'll just remove them. They don't cost much at all (don't know the cost of installation though) so I think its worth a shot.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:24 AM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
this is my set up...9LEDs interior/superwhite...6LEDs doors/blue...
it looks pretty much like this in person...not as bright as the yellowish stock bulbs...but to me it's bright enough in a subtle way...i love it everyone thats been in my car after seeing it...wants one in their car....

Old 08-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, I'm 56 and I put the led's in my car. I have all hyper whites in all the interior lights, except for the doors where I have blue. I've got them in my backup lights and my license plate lights. I've also become an expert at taking off the trunk liner. The license plate lights are a b*tch to do!

I'm the last person you'd think would be driving a riced car.

Dave
Old 08-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Bring Blink Back!

Go get 'em tiger.

The white looks pretty classy to me. I just thought the oem yellow looked so dull and jumped at the chance to chage 'em out to the leds. Loved it the second I put em in.

Besides, if you dont like them take it out. Its only a few bucks per light if i remember correctly ;0)
Old 08-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Pro

Personally white=nice blue=rice.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Rebourne

Originally Posted by drigo
it looks pretty much like this in person...not as bright as the yellowish stock bulbs...but to me it's bright enough in a subtle way...i love it everyone thats been in my car after seeing it...wants one in their car....

I would like to have this same set up, did you have to e-mail Brian to specifially order 9LEDs interior/superwhite and 6LEDs doors/blue? By looking at the website he only offers one package either blue or hyper white, could I mix and match?

p.s. and does the package include the license plate light as well?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:52 PM
RIP Dime...

Originally Posted by drigo

I have the same set up right now. I drive a lot of clients for work and receive nothing but compliments. It's definitely not ricey and has a clean look.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:13 AM
tuning / modding newbie.

Originally Posted by TerminaderTL
I also have the blue LEDs. They match perfectly with the blue in the dash instruments and the ambient blue light from above the center console!
pictures????

i have a wdp with parchment interior, if anyone should have that combo with the blue lights, I'd love to see pictures...

:-)

-sequoia
Old 08-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Instructor

I agonized about this ad nauseum for my husband's new TL. Blue or hyperwhite. Bought the 9-LED package from Tec-Toyz in hyperwhite with blue for the doors. Tried the blue in the front domes - then ordered some extra blue. We have all blue right now.

First off.... either color is an upgrade IMO. Both look great compared to stock.

We're in our mid-40's and he uses his car for business meetings, etc. If he has to take a client somewhere to dinner, etc., no matter how old, conservative, or stuffy they are - they dig it.
If out with friends and we all walk back to our cars together - nothing but compliments.
I've even asked people, "do you think it's 'too too'?" There is only "no way - it's cool!".
It's not like these lights are on constantly. Just when you get in and out so there's just a short burst of your chosen color.

Most importantly, I think the real question that's not being addressed is what color is your interior. The blue will look more blue on the lighter colored interior (IMO).
We have Ebony and I feel it absorbs it more. The seats don't change color. It sort of sucks it up. Tho' with the design on the car, the rear top of the seats show it more as it's like a spotlight there.

If on the fence, I would do what I did, get some extra bulbs to play around with. They're only $4 or 5 bucks a pop. Minimally, I'd definitely do blue for the doors. Very cool.

We're sticking with blue for now but have the option to switch out if need be.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:05 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
No, But this is RICE!

These things are all over amazon.com

Old 08-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Cruisin'

I have a NBP with Ebony and have all blue interior (doors, rear seat, front seat, glove box, center console) with the lights and love them. I get so many compliments about them all the time. At night the lights look like a bluish-white because of the interior but looks very good.

Also I replaced my reverse lights and license plate lights with Hyperwhite LEDS. The back up lights are great with LEDs. The stock lights suck at night. Now with LEDs it makes a a great difference. The license plate loosk really good with the LEDs.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:27 PM
now with four rings

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
These things are all over amazon.com

yeah see, now that shit is extremely ricey...that and LEDs on your exhaust tips, calipers, windshield washer squirters and most neon underbody kits are too...
Old 09-01-2006, 06:26 AM
Cruisin'

How does the white/dome with blue/door combination look in person versus having all of the lights the same color (blue or white)? At first thought, it sounds kind of tacky, but it seems to look pretty good in the pictures. Does the blue in the doors go well with the instrument panel? Does the blue light give too much contrast against the white light?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Man of God.....

Cool

I put in the blue LED's except for the vanity lights, glove box, inside console. This is the most talked about mod. I have done.

Talked about in a good way....
Old 10-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Pro

K-Shawn,

What is the color tone of your white PIAA's? I'm looking for something with more of a bluish tone (not as blue as the actual blue LEDS but something on the more light bluer side). I've noticed that a lot of the white 9LEDs have a purpleish tone to them and others have more of a dominant white tone but I don't want either. I was thinking about maybe the PIAA's but you didn't really mention anything about the tone color of the bulbs.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sequoia
ok... the modding bug has hit me... first the drop, then wheels. then tires, then tints, and tailights... now i'm considering L.E.D. interior lights. in particular the 9 led lights package from tektoyz (in blue)

my question is do you think it is a "clean" look, or more "ricey"

I don't want a "ricey" look, and that's not to offend those who might have the lights already. I personally think it looks very unique. I also think monitors on the visors are unique, i just wouldn't do it myself...

so to each their own.

I guess what I'm asking is for the general consensus among tuners and "lay-folk" are modded Interior lights (color or otherwise) looked upon as "ricey"

PS. in the kit from tektoys, I know (or think I do) where the 6 wedge bulbs go... but the 2 single LED's... where are they used?

-sequoia

Just do what you think looks nice in your car and make sure youre happy with it... Fck what they think ya know....
Old 10-24-2006, 11:48 PM
07 TL-S

i've got a black Type-S coming in with the ebony/silver two-tone interior . With the red accents from the Type-S, I was thinking about doing:

White LED front Domes
Red LED rear Domes
Red LED door lights

What do you guys think about this combo? OR should I go all reds or all whites?
Old 10-25-2006, 05:53 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the left is 12LED white. On the right is 9LED white(has a strong purplish hue)
Old 10-25-2006, 11:10 AM
N00b just got here

whites=not rice. i wanna get some but have seen them before. and you can tell by the pics. if u get like a really blue light, it may make it a lil more shrimp fried.

go with white hahaha sounds racist
Old 10-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Pro

It's hard to tell from digital camera pics cause even the white purpleish hue ones turn out blue in the pictures.