Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Footwell Lighting Idea's/Concept's

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Interior Footwell Lighting Idea's/Concept's

Alright, so as many of you know, the good old Acura TL doesnt come with footwell lighting. Ive looked around here, and have seen numerous ways that you can add footwell lighting, be it by single l.e.d's (as seen in DeathMetals car), or by acual led tube lighting.

Sooooo, what I'm tryign to do here is have anyone who did there footwell lighting post in here how they did it, and more importantly, why they think its the best wayt to do it. I am acually looking to do this mod soon, but want the best way to do it.

Things to consider:

- Power: How did you provide power to the lights, what did you tap into
- Product: What led's/tube/lighting product did you use to complete this mod
- Front and Back: Did you do this mod to all four footwells (or rear seats) - I want to do this for the front seats and rear seats.
- Color: What color did you use - Blue, red, hyper white, boring regular white - along with what color your interior is.

Of course pictures are always helpful.

Lets make this thread good, and help out others like myself who want to do this mod!

- Carlo

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 08-06-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Fixed
Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I used 12v LED's that go in commercial signs.. Right under the dash in the front on driver/passenger side. I used hyper white and tapped into the window lock switch in the fuse panel so I can turn them on or off. I'll try to dig up some pics sometime.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
There's dozens of these threads already
Old 08-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 175 Posts
This is what I did on my TL and RL. I uses the strips. Both I uses blue LED because it matches the instrument guages.

Also, I wire it up inside the armrest courtesy light. So when the parking light or headlight is on, the footwell is on as well. Also these aren't as bright so I like it that way. Or else it will be very distracting if you have it too bright.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by cicacci2190
Alright, so as many of you know, the good old Acura TL doesnt come with footwell lighting. Ive looked around here, and have seen numerous ways that you can add footwell lighting, be it by single l.e.d's (as seen in DeathMetals car), or by acual led tube lighting.

Sooooo, what I'm tryign to do here is have anyone who did there footwell lighting post in here how they did it, and more importantly, why they think its the best wayt to do it. I am acually looking to do this mod soon, but want the best way to do it.

Things to consider:

- Power: How did you provide power to the lights, what did you tap into
- Product: What led's/tube/lighting product did you use to complete this mod
- Front and Back: Did you do this mod to all four footwells (or rear seats) - I want to do this for the front seats and rear seats.
- Color: What color did you use - Blue, red, hyper white, boring regular white - along with what color your interior is.

Of course pictures are always helpful.

Lets make this thread good, and help out others like myself who want to do this mod!

- Carlo

There are a lot of threads on this-be sure to use the Search Engine and try underdash lighting.

I've done this to my Type S, so I used red, since the gauges are red in the Type S. Don't worry about the interior color, match your gauges!

I used tube LED's and had it wired in professionally. But I can tell you I had the LED's mounted in the rear underneath the kick plate of the rear bench. That means I had the LED bars mounted where the actual bench/seat meets the pedestal that the bench sits on. That way, you'll less likely to get the bar kicked and broken...if you mount the LED's under the front seat, you'll run that risk. Here's a few pictures for you....

As you can see, I've also done the front doors with red bulbs to match the instrument console. Unfortunately, the lighted door sills are no longer available-so end of discussion on them....
Old 08-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished this mod last week using blue LED strips like others have posted. I tapped the console light under the armrest and added an illuminated switch in the lower part of the armrest. However, I disliked the brightness when turned on (using 6 LEDs per strip for front and rear locations), so I reversed the wiring on the switch and the LEDS are only supplied with the same amount of power that is going to the illuminated bulb on the switch. They give off a very soft glow similar to that of the OEM overhead console blue accent lights. It looks stock as ever and are always on when either the parking/headlights are on and when i unlock the doors. I ran all the wiring through the center console for the front and under the rear carpet for the back.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:43 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I did mine with led strips too but it only has 6 leds on them. they are a bit brighter in person. i got them from autozone and wired them to the factory oem footwell lighting.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/finished-my-footwell-lighting-video-774145/
Thats my thread about how i did mine, including a video, enjoy