3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Comment From a Maxima Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"You talk about the "same class". The TL lacks fog lights and has trunk hinges which intrude into the luggage space. The rear seat does not fold down -- there is only a small center ski pass-through. The front seats lack room because of a "cockpit design makes for cozy feel", i.e., a wrap-around dash which knocks your knees when you enter. The Maxima has all the features which the TL lacks. Since the TL is seriously lacking in torque, it is "best above 3500 rpm". See: http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...x.cfm/id/37492

So, enjoy your supposed "prestige" with your upscale Honda. I will enjoy my 2004 Maxima with 16 pounds more torque on a car which weighs 143 pounds less, which is 4.2 inches longer, sits 1.6 inches higher, has 1.0 inch more front headroom, has 0.8 inch more rear shoulder room, 0.8 inch more front leg room, 1.0 inch more rear hip room, and 1.6 inches more rear leg room. Plus, a 3 gallon larger gas tank and a 3.0 cu. ft. larger trunk. And, I don't have to first wind the engine to 3,500 RPMs in order to move quickly.

Yes, I agree. The 2004 Maxima isn't really in the same class as the TL."

This is what I say to him... :thefinger lol[/QUOTE]

Kind of reminds me the old car commercial (either GM of Ford) stating that their car had more leg room than Cadillac "X" model, more shoulder room than Chrysler "Y" model, more trunk room than... You've got the picture.
Also, using this fellow logic, Maxima is bigger than BMW540, and some models of M-B, and, what the heck is indeed bigger than the Ferrari and a like....
Hey, Maxima is in class of its own!!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:43 AM
I Want CD Text for 35k

This is one old thread.

I had an '03 Altima and traded it in becasue it was a cheap, plasticy POS.

I didnt get a new Maxima cause it looks fugly and they took a step BACK with the interior.

The G35 I wouldnt touch after my bad experience with its little brother.

My parents have a Murano and while the exterior is sweet, the interior look like a cheap POS and feels that way as well.

The TL is NOT an Accord.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Racer

Okies, the Maxima does have some features that are worth adding to the TL, namely the motorized entry/exit system they have built into it. But almost everything else, including the interior and the motorized side mirrors (which break rather frequently) are substandard IMO.

As for the other comments, the Altima has the problems with the trunk hinges, not the TL (notice how it is impossible for the hinge on a TL to damage your luggage? Try that with an Altima).

The one point made, which I agree with is the low end torque... and it should be improved with the TL to make it a bit more sporty. But other than that, considering that the two vehicles are the same price, you get a nicer, more elegant, quieter car with the TL.

And if nothing else, for those who want to dispute that the TL is actually a nicer car, please drive both of them in the rain or snow. That alone is what kept me away from the Maxima.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recall back in 00 I drove an anniversary max with 227 ponies. I had the 99 tl with 48k on it and was thinking of trading. Now typically you would want to think that the new car feel better since it is newer than the older one. I drove the max in the rain and thought sure it has a stick, but my 99TL felt much better. I went to acura and traded in for a CL S.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:04 PM
G35 Freak

I don't get it when you guys say the G35 = an altima or a maxima. It is totally not the case. But you do have to agree that the TL = Accord and TSX = Euro/jap Accord.

Please get your facts straight when you are posting. It is making you sound very uninformed and ignorant.

If you guys have sat in the '05 maxima, you would be surprised. The seats are really nice, the suede like inserts on the doors are beautiful and so is the suede like headliner. Personally, I think the Max has a much better interior than even the '05 G35 and TL.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
If you guys have sat in the '05 maxima, you would be surprised. The seats are really nice, the suede like inserts on the doors are beautiful and so is the suede like headliner. Personally, I think the Max has a much better interior than even the '05 G35 and TL.
Whatever you're smoking....pass me some. The interior of the G35 and the Max are the ugliest interiors. The small difference in HP and Torque between the 3 cars are so insignificant it doesn't matter to me. I don't plan on drag racing the car. As long as I have the power on tap when I need it who the f#*k cares. The more important thing to me is the interior since I will be spending so much time driving and all the standard features that the TL comes with makes driving that much more enjoyable. I'm glad you guys love your G's and Max's. Good for you. That's why you bought the car. And that's why I bought my TL. If you guys want to continue bashing each other go right ahead. It only proves how immature you guys really are. Just enjoy the cars that you each have. There's a reason why you bought it.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:38 PM
G35 Freak

Originally Posted by willz822
The small difference in HP and Torque between the 3 cars are so insignificant it doesn't matter to me. I don't plan on drag racing the car. As long as I have the power on tap when I need it who the f#*k cares. The more important thing to me is the interior since I will be spending so much time driving and all the standard features that the TL comes with makes driving that much more enjoyable. I'm glad you guys love your G's and Max's. Good for you. That's why you bought the car. And that's why I bought my TL. If you guys want to continue bashing each other go right ahead. It only proves how immature you guys really are. Just enjoy the cars that you each have. There's a reason why you bought it.
Obviously that is why you bought the TL. The differences in performance and handling is why I bought the G35. I couldn't justify the 350z without the back seats, so I got the G35. I autocross and plan on doing a track event next year. I wouldn't even be looking there i I was driving a TL or a MAX. I think all 3 are great cars, with different purposes. I just chose the one that was more purposeful for ME!

The thing that really bothers me is the ignorant posts about:
Nissan = CRAP
G35 = Ugly
G35 = Altima
Nissan = cheap plasticy interiors

They are just plain ignorant statements.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Racer

Old 02-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Yes, he did that

As an owner of a 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, I would have to say that the Altima only beats the TL in interior space. The build quality (mechanically) in the Altima is excellent, but the interiors quality of materials is ho-hum. I love my Altima, but I will be getting an '05 TL this summer since I want to upgrade to luxury. That Maxima owner needs to chill out. The Maxima and TL are good cars that cater towards different people, no reason to bash the other (unless the owner reaaally deserves it ).
Old 02-02-2005, 01:39 PM
05 BMW 745i, 07 BMW 335i

Exclamation

All aforementioned ratings for Maxima, Altima, G35 and TL are utterly subjective and reflect personal opinions that are most of the time geared towards protecting the decision that was made buying respective cars.
I bought my TL just simply because this car fits best my taste and needs.
I respect all people that bought Nissans or G35s, etc, because their decision was based on personal preference.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KrgTL04
The funny thing is, I NEVER said the Maxima wasn't in the same class as the TL...I said the ALTIMA wasn't.

::cough cough:: you're all wrong, Maxima is NOT in the same class as TL.... mind you that Maxima is still a NISSAN... Nissan is compariable to HONDA, like toyota.. now Acura , Infiniti and Lexus are in similar class. I test drove the Maxima before I purchased my TL, from my own experience, Maxima is an OK car... I dont spend $26k+ for an OK car, an OK car for me is a CIVIC...

I bought the TL because I like it, people who bought Maxima because they like it. To each its own.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Racer

Nissan = CRAP
G35 = Ugly
G35 = Altima

There's nothing ignorant about those statements. Ignorance means you don't have the facts, but here we have plenty of observations to base our opinions on. We've seen the Nissan/Infiniti cars. We've sat inside them. The statements above are informed opinions.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:17 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
I don't get it when you guys say the G35 = an altima or a maxima. It is totally not the case. But you do have to agree that the TL = Accord and TSX = Euro/jap Accord.

Please get your facts straight when you are posting. It is making you sound very uninformed and ignorant.

You've got to be kidding me right? My friend has an 04 Maxima, and just like every other nissan product, the interior quality/plastics/trim are HORRENDOUS. Even the doors close similarly to an Econoline Van. Absolutely one of the cheapest thumps ive heard in a long time.

Get your Nissan/Infiniti bias out of the way when posting comments like that because its you that looks like the ignorant one.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Shift_faster

Nissan = CRAP
G35 = Ugly
G35 = Altima

Only one of those statements is ignorant. That is the G35=Altima. The G is on the 350Z, FX45 platform. The Altima, Maxima, Murano share a FWD platform.

The rest of those statements are not ignorant, they are opinionated. You can't quantify or "correct" opinions. As a wise man once said, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and they all stink.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Only one of those statements is ignorant. That is the G35=Altima. The G is on the 350Z, FX45 platform. The Altima, Maxima, Murano share a FWD platform.

The rest of those statements are not ignorant, they are opinionated. You can't quantify or "correct" opinions. As a wise man once said, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and they all stink.
Well stated.

And a perspective on Nissan's cheapness: My 2002 Maxima (35k) doesnt have ANY rattles; seems the same cant be said for a number of 3G TLs here.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:21 PM
G35 Freak

The only reason you all think the interior looks cheap is because you have an different car. I am not interested in arguing with you about the so called cheapness of the interior, I can argue with my 7 yr. old niece aobut petty comments.

Grow up.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverBulletCLS
Obviously you have no clue what you just said, because it doesn't. Going by the ratings on the last TL it wasn't the best. The new one hasn't been rated yet.
Obviously you didn't read the post. He said "one of the highest" not "the highest" and he said Acura, not 3rd gen TL or anything specific. If you're going to blow smoke at someone get your own shit in order first. Argue about that.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverBulletCLS
Obviously you have no clue what you just said, because it doesn't. Going by the ratings on the last TL it wasn't the best. The new one hasn't been rated yet.
Obviously you didn't read the post. He said "one of the highest" not "the highest" and he said TL, not 3rd gen TL or anything specific. If you're going to blow smoke at someone get your own shit in order first. Argue about that.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Racer

Okies, you are officially flagged... no more drinks for you.

IF the TL = Accord (and yes, it is built on the same platform) then the G35 = Altima for the same reasons. Both are built on the Front midship platform...

BTW: the "suede" is nothing more than a form of carpeting and wears out rather quickly, as Oldsmobile has learned. The Altima has a better interior, although not as many perks.

And both have their share of common problems... so it's 6-to-one, half-dozen-the-other
Old 02-02-2005, 03:39 PM
G35 Freak

Originally Posted by Yoda117
Okies, you are officially flagged... no more drinks for you.

IF the TL = Accord (and yes, it is built on the same platform) then the G35 = Altima for the same reasons. Both are built on the Front midship platform...

BTW: the "suede" is nothing more than a form of carpeting and wears out rather quickly, as Oldsmobile has learned. The Altima has a better interior, although not as many perks.

And both have their share of common problems... so it's 6-to-one, half-dozen-the-other
actually the TL DOES = Accord (same platform). The G35 DOES NOT = Altima since the G35 is built on the FM platform shared with the 350z, FX, and now the new M, and the Altima is built on a FWD platform shared with the Murano and Maxima. Just like what has been stated about 10 times in this thread already.

Even though the 'suede' is nothing more than carpeting, it looks damn good and has excellent feel to it. Do you have firsthand experience with it wearing out?? Just like certain PLASTICS has excellent feel and look to them, but they are still PLASTIC. Basically the point that everyone is trying to say here!!
Old 02-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Racer

you're right on the Altima... got bad info from freshalloy.com

And yeah, got firsthand experience with it wearing out, both with olds and nissan

yes, the TL has a bit of plastic (more than I would prefer IMO), but it is also easier to replace that (and to clean)

Tis a shame that Nissan couldn't just keep the Skyline and use it here instead of rebadging it and charging more.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Systems Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan dropped the ball when they remodeld the Maxima. I have a 2000 SE Anniversary Edition (Which my wife still drives) and love the car. There is a chance that if the build quality and style were still what they were back in 2000 that I mave have purchased another Maxima. The 6th Gen Maxima styling leaves something to be desired. The Skyview moonroof is ugly. The optional sunroof takes too much headroom away for some of us taller drivers. The interiors look cheesy and plastic on most new Nissans. The blind spots are just as bad, if not worse than the TL's.

As for G35, the build quality is better than Nissan, the interiors are still a bit too much plastic for my taste. Not to mention that whoever desgned the seats only considered people with narrow asses. The G35 is more of a sports car than the TL and I may have bought an 05 if the seats were a bit wider. All in all the TL was a better fit for me. It's all a matter of personal taste.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Prolanman
Not to mention that whoever desgned the seats only considered people with narrow asses. The G35 is more of a sports car than the TL and I may have bought an 05 if the seats were a bit wider.

Keep in mind, the V35 Nissan Skyline is sold in the home market where non-Sumo asses run smaller than American butts.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:36 PM
05 BMW 745i, 07 BMW 335i

Red face Just so you know..

Ok guys, comparing Maxima to TL is a mistake because as per Consumer Reports web site, Maxima is in Family Sedan category whereas Acura TL is in Upscale Sedan category.
Consumer Reports tests about 55 vehicles a year, using the most comprehensive consumer-oriented auto-testing program in the U.S. About 45 individual tests are performed on every vehicle to evaluate its performance, safety, comfort, convenience, interior quality, fuel economy, cargo capacity, and more.
In family sedan category Maxima is on 8th place after names like Honda Accord,Toyota Camry or VW Passat (6 cylinders).
In Upscale Sedan category first place is occupied by 2005 Acura TL which outscores cars like BMW 330i and Lexus IS300.

This is what CR has to say about Maxima:

"The Maxima is an improvement over the previous model, but several shortcomings keep it from being among the best in either the upscale- or family-sedan categories. The quick and refined 265-hp, 3.5-liter V6 gets high marks, but that power produces a fair amount of torque steer in this front-wheel-drive sedan, which causes a tug on the steering wheel. The ride is stiff and jiggly, and while handling has improved, the car still feels less agile than its competitors. A 44-foot turning circle hampers maneuverability. The interior lacks an upscale feel befit a $30,000 car. The rear seating is very spacious."

This is what CR has to say about 2005 Acura TL :

"The TL is the highest-scoring car we've tested in the upscale-sedan category. It's based on the Honda Accord V6 and is a significant improvement over the previous version. The TL is among the few models in this class that provide a near-ideal blend of comfort, convenience, and sportiness--all at a reasonable price. It delivers taut, agile handling, though ultimately it's not as nimble as a BMW 3 Series or Mercedes C-Class. The engine delivers very quick acceleration and commendable fuel economy. The TL has a taut but comfortable and quiet ride. A wide turning circle is one of the few negatives. Interior quality is impressive."

Any comments?
Old 02-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Licking Platters Clean

As usual, I'd say CR is dead on. I had an 04 Max before my TL and I agree completely with consumer reports on every point. I love that 3.5 liter Nissan engine though. Not better that the TL, but very different and equally pleasing.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:15 PM
G35 Freak

Whatever Consumer Reports says must be true!! Hahahahaha
Old 02-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Whatever Consumer Reports says must be true!! Hahahahaha
Did you mean to type in "freshalloy.com," dude (since you're a self-admitted G35 freak)? hehheh Obviously, you're gonna get Acura-biased responses here, including from myself. Go over there (or to a maxima forum), and you'll get a pro-Nissan/Infiniti response.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:46 PM
G35 Freak

Nope, I mean to be here. I am looking at the TL to replace my other car.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:03 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Nope, I mean to be here. I am looking at the TL to replace my other car.
Why not buy another G35 or Maxima that you think so much of, just curious?
Old 02-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boltjames
The least expensive Mercedes is more presitgous than the most expensive Toyota even though the Toyota also costs *more* and has better features. After all, it's a Mercedes.

Same logic applies. Whether more or less expensive *any* Acura is more prestigious than any Nissan.

I can buy an Apex 27" TV, fully loaded, for $199 at WalMart. I can buy a Sony 27" TV, not loaded at all, for $499 at Best Buy. My friends would snicker if I invited them over to watch an Apex TV. End of story.

Acura = Sony
Nissan = Apex
Old 02-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MR1

repeating D_Nyholm:
I am looking at the TL to replace my other car.
I pressume that he hasnt decided just yet and wants to sample the field.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:45 AM
G35 Freak

Originally Posted by MR1
I can't get over the exterior styling of the Maxima or G35 sedan, hence the Acura TL. I don't think there is another car out there that offers everything that these three do, with the look to go with it. Audi and BMW are just too expensive for a comparable car. Oh well.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:26 AM
Instructor

Obviously that is why you bought the TL. The differences in performance and handling is why I bought the G35. I couldn't justify the 350z without the back seats, so I got the G35. I autocross and plan on doing a track event next year. I wouldn't even be looking there i I was driving a TL or a MAX. I think all 3 are great cars, with different purposes. I just chose the one that was more purposeful for ME!

Nissan = CRAP
G35 = Ugly
G35 = Altima

Dude, did you know the TL has outperformed the G35 in EVERY car magazine road test. The G's a nice car but I wish everyone would stop thinkingt the TL ia a slug compared to it.
Oh................and the interior of the TL is as nice as any car out there, period.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rontatuaf
Dude, did you know the TL has outperformed the G35 in EVERY car magazine road test.
Subjective. In a head to head comparo (C/D 3/04), the TL was quicker than the G35S (6MT vs 6MT) from 0-60. But in 0-100, 0-120, 30-50, 50-70 and topend the G35S beat it. Although both cars seemed to underperform, both were tested under the same conditions.

Originally Posted by rontatuaf
Oh................and the interior of the TL is as nice as any car out there, period.
Try out the LS430 before you commit to that one.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:23 PM
G35 Freak

http://www.g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=45

check out that article. Has some good information on road tests.

The TL has a beautiful interior. Not the 'best' interior though. Hell, the Accord is almost exactly the same as the TL (interior wise), without pulling it completely apart for the minute differences

Old 02-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
old info

Where is the 05 stats on the G unlike the TL the Gs have a retuned VQ for more HP /torque...
Old 02-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Sounds like the guy who posted about the Maxima (in the original post) just got done reading the Quick Start sales guide from Nissan. Must be a salesman.

I spent quite a few years at a Nissan franchise, and I really like the new Altima. I DO NOT like the new Maxima. Bleh!
Old 02-05-2005, 10:35 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Prolanman
Nissan dropped the ball when they remodeld the Maxima. I have a 2000 SE Anniversary Edition (Which my wife still drives) and love the car. There is a chance that if the build quality and style were still what they were back in 2000 that I mave have purchased another Maxima. The 6th Gen Maxima styling leaves something to be desired. The Skyview moonroof is ugly. The optional sunroof takes too much headroom away for some of us taller drivers. The interiors look cheesy and plastic on most new Nissans. The blind spots are just as bad, if not worse than the TL's.

As for G35, the build quality is better than Nissan, the interiors are still a bit too much plastic for my taste. Not to mention that whoever desgned the seats only considered people with narrow asses. The G35 is more of a sports car than the TL and I may have bought an 05 if the seats were a bit wider. All in all the TL was a better fit for me. It's all a matter of personal taste.
I agree the 5th gen has a quality interior in it especially the 02/03 Maxima's adn 5th gens were never knocked for "low quality" interiors as the 04 + Max is sometimes) the 04's aren't as good quality wise. 03-04 G35's don't match the quality of the 5th gen Max interiors but the 05 G35's are a great improvement over the older ones. The 5.5 gen was jsut right for the Max a good sporty look, with a good interior.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Dkrudop
Nissan has unfortunately struck out with the new Max design.......kind of surprising after the great hits they had with new Altima and Murano designs. The most disappointing thing to me was how "cheap" the interiors looks on ALL of them. That was what immediately led me to eliminate Max & Murano from my list when I went loooking.
Not to mention Nissan does not stand behind their vehicles at all. I've had 2, and my family has also had a few. Every problem I had I was treated like shit, like I broke their car or something. Nissans just seem to fall apart after time. They also wanted way too much money for the Max, IMO. I really didn't like the way the 6MT drove at all.

Thank God I didn't get another Nissan. I hear Infiniti is a different story, but that could be smoke and mirrors for all I know.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:59 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by apwalsh
Not to mention Nissan does not stand behind their vehicles at all. I've had 2, and my family has also had a few. Every problem I had I was treated like shit, like I broke their car or something. Nissans just seem to fall apart after time. They also wanted way too much money for the Max, IMO. I really didn't like the way the 6MT drove at all.

Thank God I didn't get another Nissan. I hear Infiniti is a different story, but that could be smoke and mirrors for all I know.
This whole thread appears to be running around in circles. I may as well throw in my two cents.

1.) Someone said in order to get a sunroof in a G35, you must get the premium package. Which they claimed turned a $700 option into a $2000 option. This is misinformation from the get-go, as you can get the sunroof by itself as a $1000 stand alone option.

2.) Trunk hinges. Someone pointed out that the TL will not destroy your groceries, because the TL's goose-neck hinges is covered. While true, I don't think that was the original point. The original point was that Acura should've used gas struts. Even my Pontiac GTP has gas struts on the trunk. It saves trunk space, and makes the trunk height uniform side to side, which makes things easier. But it's ok. Even lexus has this problem. The ES250 used to have struts, but the ES300 we used to have doesn't. The lexus guys on line said the goose-neck hinges allowed for better fit and finish. Uhmmmm... OK....

3.) Reliability. That's probably a wash. Both my TL and my G35 have had their issues. However, my TL is currently getting its tranny replaced, which I think is horrible. However, people seem to gloss over that, and ignore it. So ok, I guess I will too... Also, my TL made a very loud BANG whenever I turned the wheel while not in motion. (Car only had like 11 miles on the odometer at the time) I brought the car back to the dealer, and it turns out, one of the steering rack bolts was loose, and another was missing!

4.) Service. I don't know about Nissan. Maybe it's just your city. But here in Portland, Oregon.... The acura dealers absolutely suck, and here's why, from my experience.

a.) Ron Tokin Acura would not patch a flat tire for me. They told me to go to a tire shop. I went to beaverton honda, who patched it for free.

b.) While my car was in for service at Acura of Portland (getting radiator replaced), they told me I needed 4 new tires, as they were low on treads. However, I just bought 4 new Toyo Proxy tires a few days prior. After telling them that, they admitted they didn't actually look at my tires. They made the recommendation based soley on my odometer reading. At this same service appointment, the dealer tried to void the tranny warranty, because they said that the fluid appeared to be very burnt and dirty, and that in order to keep the warranty we "must" have the car serviced regularly by an Acura dealership. After showing them pages in the owners manual that contradicted what they were saying, they retracted their comments. Keep in mind, I brought the car in much earlier to try and have the oil jets installed on the tranny, but they refused to do it, unless I had the recall letter in hand, even though my car's VIN appeared on the recall list, on Honda's web site. They finally installed the jet kit, during this service visit, because I explained to them that burnt fluid was one of the symptoms listed in the recall compain. After they did this, they said that the fluid needs to be flushed. They said to keep the warranty, they (Acura Dealer) need to flush it. (What? Didn't we just go over this?) After again explaining that Acura does NOT require this, they changed their story. They said that the flushing procedure requires special equipment that only they have. I asked for them to show me this special procedure in the service manual, as I told them I have the Acura Service manual, and it clearly and explicitely shows the procedure, and no special tools are required. So then they changed their story again. Said that it was more convenient if I let them do it.

When I tried getting the jet kit installed earlier, both dealerships told me that they do not give out Acura loaners for work that will take longer than one day. (However, the dealership 130 miles south, has given me an RL loaner for a week, while they installed my spoiler... (which they botched... which is why it took a week)

c.) While I was away on business, my wife was dealing with the Acura dealership, because her TL's tranny decided to drop out of gear on the freeway, and stay in neutral. The dealership didn't believe her, and said that they are unaware of Acura having any transmission issues. They also said they were unaware of any extended warranty on the transmission, and that if we purchased it separeratly, we need to bring proof of purchase in, because it won't show up in the computer, because they said that each dealership keeps independent records, and can't access each other's information. When I got home, I brought the car in myself. I was treated completely differently. Without opening my mouth, they asked me if I had the tranny replaced yet. They also said the problem is more common than they would like. And they said the tranny has a 100,000 mile warranty. So, minus one for taking advantage of women. They didn't have any loaners, so they sent me to enterprise.

d.) I get a call from the Acura dealer, telling me that my coolant looks to be very dirty, and that it needs to be flushed. They'd be "happy" to do it for only $80 while they replace my tranny. WTF? They just replaced the radiator ~ 2 months ago. How can the coolant be dirty already? I asked how this was possible, especiallys since this dealer is the one that replaced the radiator, and it was this dealer I had the car TOWED to because it leaked all of it's coolant... They found the service records, but could not explain why master tech said it was dirty and needed flushing.

Now let me go over my Infiniti experience:

1.) My NAV unit went dead. Brought car in. Walked into office. 5 minutes later, was driving an FX35 loaner. Got call later in day, told me new unit being installed, and that my unit was being sent to manufacturer to determine reason for failure, so they can determine if they need to issue a TSB.

2.) When I came back, they said that the part was backordered. Said they would call me when the part was in. I walked over to the parts department. I asked for a new door handle cap, because I wanted to remove my door lock tumblers, for visual asthetic reasons, as well as a deterent to would-be-thiefs from wanted to roll my windows down to break into my car. After I told them this, they said they would give me the parts for free. They even offered to install if for me free of charge when I brought the car back in to have the new NAV unit installed.

I get a call a week later. Brought the car back in. This time they asked what kind of loaner I wanted. They said to just look at the cars that were parked in front, and point to the car I wanted to take out as a loaner.

Quick Reply: Interesting Comment From a Maxima Owner