Sponsored by:

Interesting Comment From a Maxima Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Comment From a Maxima Owner

Thought this was interesting...although I DO NOT agree at all,

I posted the same question that I did here, about the Maxima vs. TL and which should we get, over on Freshalloy (the Nissan forum)

Anyway, One of the responses I got was, why don't you look at the Altima?

I very nicely said something like, We did look at the Altima when we were at the Nissan dealership, but my mom wants something a bit more upscale.

Then some guy with a Maxima replied with this:

"You talk about the "same class". The TL lacks fog lights and has trunk hinges which intrude into the luggage space. The rear seat does not fold down -- there is only a small center ski pass-through. The front seats lack room because of a "cockpit design makes for cozy feel", i.e., a wrap-around dash which knocks your knees when you enter. The Maxima has all the features which the TL lacks. Since the TL is seriously lacking in torque, it is "best above 3500 rpm". See: http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...x.cfm/id/37492

So, enjoy your supposed "prestige" with your upscale Honda. I will enjoy my 2004 Maxima with 16 pounds more torque on a car which weighs 143 pounds less, which is 4.2 inches longer, sits 1.6 inches higher, has 1.0 inch more front headroom, has 0.8 inch more rear shoulder room, 0.8 inch more front leg room, 1.0 inch more rear hip room, and 1.6 inches more rear leg room. Plus, a 3 gallon larger gas tank and a 3.0 cu. ft. larger trunk. And, I don't have to first wind the engine to 3,500 RPMs in order to move quickly.

Yes, I agree. The 2004 Maxima isn't really in the same class as the TL."

This is what I say to him... :thefinger lol
Old 04-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Instructor

The funny thing is, I NEVER said the Maxima wasn't in the same class as the TL...I said the ALTIMA wasn't.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:41 AM
What's a TL?

Can't say that everything he said is not true, cause it is. However, when you need to bring up things liek intrusive trunk hinges, it seems you are a little desperate for criticism to make you feel better about what you own. I will agree that the Maxima has a great engine, but thats about it. What an ugly, ugly car.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:42 AM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by KrgTL04
The funny thing is, I NEVER said the Maxima wasn't in the same class as the TL...I said the ALTIMA wasn't.

He felt like he had something to prove and lost track of the point of your comment...had to make himself better about buying the Maxima.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
He felt like he had something to prove and lost track of the point of your comment...had to make himself better about buying the Maxima.
Yep...sad
Old 04-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Nissan has unfortunately struck out with the new Max design.......kind of surprising after the great hits they had with new Altima and Murano designs. The most disappointing thing to me was how "cheap" the interiors looks on ALL of them. That was what immediately led me to eliminate Max & Murano from my list when I went loooking.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
lacks fog lights? says who?! The TL was voted the best upscale sedan. Do these nissan idiots know that the TL has one of the HIGHEST resale values out there? Seat doesnt fold down, so what? you wont see me bringing 2x4's in my TL. Nissans have shitty interior materials, who cares about 16 more lbs of torque if the one place i spend most of my time i.e. IN THE CAR is made of crappy plastic. Some Nissan owners are idiots and don't know what they are talking about.

-Acura AND Nissan owner
Old 04-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
Can't say that everything he said is not true, cause it is. However, when you need to bring up things liek intrusive trunk hinges, it seems you are a little desperate for criticism to make you feel better about what you own. I will agree that the Maxima has a great engine, but thats about it. What an ugly, ugly car.

You're absolutely right. He probably spent some time to figure out every tiny details in order to make him happy. It's good for him.

As he said: "Yes, I agree. The 2004 Maxima isn't really in the same class as the TL", reviews in Consumer Guid he quoted said Maxima is in "midsize car" and TL is in "near-luxury car"... I see the difference...
Old 04-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Cruisin'

Even the Infiniti interiors have cheezy interiors, which caused me to drop the G35 from my list of potentials - nevermind anything with the Nissan logo on it.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

The least expensive Mercedes is more presitgous than the most expensive Toyota even though the Toyota also costs *more* and has better features. After all, it's a Mercedes.

Same logic applies. Whether more or less expensive *any* Acura is more prestigious than any Nissan.

I can buy an Apex 27" TV, fully loaded, for $199 at WalMart. I can buy a Sony 27" TV, not loaded at all, for $499 at Best Buy. My friends would snicker if I invited them over to watch an Apex TV. End of story.

Acura = Sony
Nissan = Apex
Old 04-28-2004, 10:10 AM
My name is RL.

Looks like it's all about who has the biggest and the longest with him. He's a good candidate for a convertible or a corvette.

This is a compensation mechanism some people exhibit when they are experiencing buyer's remorse. This guys is starting to show the cracks from the pressure.

Also, the TL does have fog lights, they are built into the headlight cluster. I'm not even going to address the torque comment. Anyone on this forum knows the TL does NOT lack torque.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rets
You're absolutely right. He probably spent some time to figure out every tiny details in order to make him happy. It's good for him.
Yeah...I mean, who cares that the Maxima has 0.08" more shoulder room? He's obviously desperate.

What's up with this wraparound dash he's talking about? He referred to it in another post on that site also.

I didn't find the TL hard to get in/out of at all.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah...I mean, who cares that the Maxima has 0.08" more shoulder room? He's obviously desperate.

What's up with this wraparound dash he's talking about? He referred to it in another post on that site also.

I didn't find the TL hard to get in/out of at all.
You could just as easily bring up all the "things" that the TL has which the Maxima does not (or at least I don't think it has) like Bluetooth, DVD-A, etc...

He brings up those things which the Maxima has over the TL....but do I really think that an inch here or 0.8 of an inch there will make a difference to the person shopping between a TL and a Maxima? No.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

I agree the newer maximas are not particularly good looking, but I will say that Nissan can build a long-lasting car! I'm bideing my time for an 05 TL, but my current '91 maxima has 194k miles and is still running. She needed a tranny rebuild at around 110k and recently new brakes, but other than that, pretty much trouble free.

It's sad when I test drive something like a TL and see how far automotive technology has come, and how nice the ride is, but when the end of the month comes with no car payments it makes it a little easier to swallow.

The max has convinced me that someone in Japan is designing these things quite well!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
You can tell him that the TL does have fog lights, and that you wish him luck in his upscale Datsun (that should get him going)... :p Tell him you'll be enjoying your DVD-Audio Surround Sound system, voice-operated navigation, climate & audio controls, sun-sensitive climate control, standard XM radio, Bluetooth phone integration and reverse-tilting side view mirrors. Wish him luck getting any of that (besides the XM) from a Nissan dealer, and give him all our best regards from Acura-TL.com.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by elessar
You can tell him that the TL does have fog lights, and that you wish him luck in his upscale Datsun (that should get him going)... :p Tell him you'll be enjoying your DVD-Audio Surround Sound system, voice-operated navigation, climate & audio controls, sun-sensitive climate control, standard XM radio, Bluetooth phone integration and reverse-tilting side view mirrors. Wish him luck getting any of that (besides the XM) from a Nissan dealer, and give him all our best regards from Acura-TL.com.
or better...I could just give him a link to this whole thread

nah...that would be too mean
Old 04-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
The fact Nissan chooses to offer models that accept stolen headlight from other models that have xenon headlights put the icing on the cake for not even looking at the Maxima. Who wants a car you have to live in fear over.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
not to mention, Acura is the ONLY manufacturer that makes their automobiles with almost everything except acessories STANDARD. Even Mercedes you have to pay extra for a moonroof, or hids, or an engine . If if I wanted a sunroof in the G35, i'd have to add the premium package and 1 other thing, taking the price of a 700-800 item, and turning it into a 2000 option... stupid... you can have your 16lbs of torque and less than an inch larger headroom...
Old 04-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

The Maxima is competition for the Accord, it's not in the same class at the TL in any respect.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pug
The Maxima is competition for the Accord, it's not in the same class at the TL in any respect.
Accord coupe V6 6mt VS Max 6mt, well its a good race, but I think the coupe will rape the max.

anyone else think so, this is just an assumption. My friend's Accord coupe is fast as hell.

:tflamer: MAXIMA
Old 04-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Nissan = Cheap

Can't argue about that.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:32 AM
Banned

I agree with him to a point. It isn't in the same class due to the fact it is now a full size sedan. He is right about everything on the TL though.

Thought this was interesting...although I DO NOT agree at all,

I posted the same question that I did here, about the Maxima vs. TL and which should we get, over on Freshalloy (the Nissan forum)

Anyway, One of the responses I got was, why don't you look at the Altima?

I very nicely said something like, We did look at the Altima when we were at the Nissan dealership, but my mom wants something a bit more upscale.

Then some guy with a Maxima replied with this:

"You talk about the "same class". The TL lacks fog lights and has trunk hinges which intrude into the luggage space. The rear seat does not fold down -- there is only a small center ski pass-through. The front seats lack room because of a "cockpit design makes for cozy feel", i.e., a wrap-around dash which knocks your knees when you enter. The Maxima has all the features which the TL lacks. Since the TL is seriously lacking in torque, it is "best above 3500 rpm". See: http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...x.cfm/id/37492

So, enjoy your supposed "prestige" with your upscale Honda. I will enjoy my 2004 Maxima with 16 pounds more torque on a car which weighs 143 pounds less, which is 4.2 inches longer, sits 1.6 inches higher, has 1.0 inch more front headroom, has 0.8 inch more rear shoulder room, 0.8 inch more front leg room, 1.0 inch more rear hip room, and 1.6 inches more rear leg room. Plus, a 3 gallon larger gas tank and a 3.0 cu. ft. larger trunk. And, I don't have to first wind the engine to 3,500 RPMs in order to move quickly.

Yes, I agree. The 2004 Maxima isn't really in the same class as the TL."

This is what I say to him... :thefinger lol
Old 04-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Do these nissan idiots know that the TL has one of the HIGHEST resale values out there?
-Acura AND Nissan owner
Obviously you have no clue what you just said, because it doesn't. Going by the ratings on the last TL it wasn't the best. The new one hasn't been rated yet.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Life is good.

I pulled up to a new Maxima on Sunday at a light and reved, he punched it and I pulled ahead of him, but he did give me a little run off the line. At the next light I pulled into the left turn lane and he pulled beside of me, he said something like "That must be a 10 second car huh", I responed "nope", he laughed and said "...well it sure is ugly" then his fat girlfriend laughed, I responed with "your mom over there is ugly too!" :thefinger
Old 04-28-2004, 11:38 AM
You touch my tra la la...

Wow what a moron.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pug

Actually your wrong. The Altima is with the Accord. The Maxima is with the Avalon. Honda doesn't have anything bigger thant he Accord, so the Maxima is by itself.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DARK6mt
Accord coupe V6 6mt VS Max 6mt, well its a good race, but I think the coupe will rape the max.

anyone else think so, this is just an assumption. My friend's Accord coupe is fast as hell.

:tflamer: MAXIMA
Sure it will. A Auto stock Maxima ran 14.2-14.3 at Maxima.org. I don't seen Any hondas doing that.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverBulletCLS
Sure it will. A Auto stock Maxima ran 14.2-14.3 at Maxima.org. I don't seen Any hondas doing that.
Well, I have gotten accustomed to not believeing anything YOU say.

SO ALL I HEAR IS " BLAH BLAH BLAH.......BLAHBLAHBLAHBAH.

You already saying that since maxima.org says 14.2.....every max can do 14.2?

I bet my frined's accord coupe will beat your g35 with little mod.

for $ 8,000 less, still better looking car.

you got robbed buddy.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Racer

Actually your wrong. The Altima is with the Accord. The Maxima is with the Avalon. Honda doesn't have anything bigger thant he Accord, so the Maxima is by itself.

SUCH BULLSHIT,

you are saying that accord isn't a match for maxima, but it is for TL.

AVALON?????? who cares about that?

accord can be a match for altima, maxima, and your sorry ass g35.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Banned

Well, I have gotten accustomed to not believeing anything YOU say.

SO ALL I HEAR IS " BLAH BLAH BLAH.......BLAHBLAHBLAHBAH.

You already saying that since maxima.org says 14.2.....every max can do 14.2?

I bet my frined's accord coupe will beat your g35 with little mod.

for $ 8,000 less, still better looking car.

you got robbed buddy.
Most autos are mid 14s...6spds low 14s to even high 13s. BTW, I already SPANKED my friends v6 Accord 6MT coupe. It wasn't even funny. He won't even run me again! I am waiting for my friends TL to get past its break in so we can run.

Accord is boring.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Banned

SUCH BULLSHIT,

you are saying that accord isn't a match for maxima, but it is for TL.

AVALON?????? who cares about that?

accord can be a match for altima, maxima, and your sorry ass g35.
Talking out of your ass again I see. :thefinger
Old 04-28-2004, 11:55 AM
You touch my tra la la...

Maxima blows, end of discussion.

kthxbye
Old 04-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Racer

Most autos are mid 14s...6spds low 14s to even high 13s. BTW, I already SPANKED my friends v6 Accord 6MT coupe. It wasn't even funny. He won't even run me again! I am waiting for my friends TL to get past its break in so we can run.

Accord is boring.
Accord is NOT boring.

Give credit where its due, than maybe I say somthing good about yours.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Racer

Talking out of your ass again I see. :thefinger
LEARNED FROM THE BEST. YOU
Old 04-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Racer

I test drove the maxima, but could not stand the interior/exterior. True, the engine was punchy, but the TL is too, if not more. The maxima did not handle well either, especially when I chirped the hell outa the tires going into 2nd gear, the steering was all over the place. I never experienced that in the TL, even when stomping on the gas and power shifting. The sales guy thought it was the greatest car too, obviously he has never visited the Acura lot, *L*. I also test drove the Honda Accord V-6 coupe, Auto since there was not a manual on the lot, much nicer interior/exterior design than the maxima and G35. Power was ok, however, i'd rather a manual to kick in the vtec more often. Nissan/Infinite just didn't do anything for me.

04 TL/SSM/Ebony/6MT On Order
Old 04-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Banned

Accord is NOT boring.

Give credit where its due, than maybe I say somthing good about yours.
Your a waste of bandwidth. Everyone knows the Accord is boring. Why you get the TL? It is more sporty looking. Also better looking. But it still a Accord under the sheet metal, where the Maxima is still a Maxima. Nothing else.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:09 PM
Racer

Honda V-6 Coupe/6MT Car and Driver
The six-speed two-door hit 60 in 5.9 seconds and hustled through the quarter-mile in 14.5 seconds at 98 mph.
Daaaaang, not bad for 240HP/212lbs. I'll be, guess the Accord isn't so boring after all.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Didn't I read somewhere that that Maxima and the Altima are built on the same platform? If so, then I guess the Maxima doesn't just stand by itself. Nissan just goofed on the design with this one....too bad...they did good jobs on the Altima and Murano.I still don't understand why they have to make their interiors so cheap-looking. Turned me off right away.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ensley696
Honda V-6 Coupe/6MT Car and Driver
The six-speed two-door hit 60 in 5.9 seconds and hustled through the quarter-mile in 14.5 seconds at 98 mph.
Daaaaang, not bad for 240HP/212lbs. I'll be, guess the Accord isn't so boring after all.
and that's CONSISTENT 14.5 !!!

SHHHEESSHHH.....so boring......ZZZZzzzzz
Old 04-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dkrudop
Didn't I read somewhere that that Maxima and the Altima are built on the same platform? If so, then I guess the Maxima doesn't just stand by itself.
Yes, the Maxima is built on the Same platform as the Altima, G35, Murano, and 350Z.

So no, the Maxima sure as hell doen NOT stand by itself.

Quick Reply: Interesting Comment From a Maxima Owner