3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Lighting Defaults to Maximum?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Question Instrument Lighting Defaults to Maximum?

Is it just my TL?

Everytime I get in it, I have to dim the instrument lighting again because it has defaulted to Maximum Brightness. Day or night.

Is that normal? The owner's manual doesn't say.

Is it part of the memory settings?

XP
Old 04-26-2004, 12:44 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The MAX button toggles you between MAX and "whatever you want" mode. Next time, try tapping the MAX button (to turn it off if my hunch is correct and it's locked in the 'on' position) and then adjusting it down a bit. Do it for both the daytime setting (headlights off) and nighttime setting (headlights on) then turn off the engine. Count to 20. Start her up and see what happens.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
You don't have to hit the MAX button before adjusting. Pressing the + or - will start the adjustment process. You can set the lights on independently from the lights off setting, so the only time you would need MAX is if you needed to turn your headlights on during the day, like in rain or fog, or if you were someone who liked to keep them on all the time.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had this problem soon after I got my TL and finally figured out that I had reset the seat memory button on a dark day when I was driving with my lights on.

Set the lights the way you want them, then reset the seat memory button. The default will become what ever you set the brightness level for your remote.

Sometimes these gadgets get too smart for us.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jime
I had this problem soon after I got my TL and finally figured out that I had reset the seat memory button on a dark day when I was driving with my lights on.

Set the lights the way you want them, then reset the seat memory button. The default will become what ever you set the brightness level for your remote.

Sometimes these gadgets get too smart for us.
The seat memory does not have anything to do with the light setting (and the a/c setting). The computer remembers which driver's key was in the ignition when the setting was adjusted. If you set the brightness to one level and your other key fob person sets the brightness to their level, then it will change when the specific key fob is used only immediately after it has been activated by the other fob .

So, if you set the seat memory, or anything else, the brightness will not change the next time you get in the car unless the other key fob was used in the meantime.

This is kind of complicated for me to explain in writing so excuse the rambling.

Ron
Old 04-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Racer

Ron,

You didn't understand my response. I had the identical problem that xpdiator42 described!

I drive to work in the dark and come home in daylight. Every time I turned the lights on first thing in the morning the dash lighting was at the maximum level (not MAX setting) and I had to manually adjust it. I thought there was something wrong with the car. This went on for several days.

Then I realized that the key fob set the dash backlight level (not MAX setting). I adjusted the dash to the desired level and then re-set the seat memory setting. Problem fixed! Then I remembered driving with my lights on the day I picked up the car (with the back lighting turned way up), and then resetting the seat memory as soon as I got home before shutting off the car.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Ron,

You didn't understand my response. I had the identical problem that xpdiator42 described!

I drive to work in the dark and come home in daylight. Every time I turned the lights on first thing in the morning the dash lighting was at the maximum level (not MAX setting) and I had to manually adjust it. I thought there was something wrong with the car. This went on for several days.

Then I realized that the key fob set the dash backlight level (not MAX setting). I adjusted the dash to the desired level and then re-set the seat memory setting. Problem fixed! Then I remembered driving with my lights on the day I picked up the car (with the back lighting turned way up), and then resetting the seat memory as soon as I got home before shutting off the car.
Let me see if I understand this correctly. If my settings are....

Daylight (headlights off) one click below the maximum brightness on the scale.

Evening (headlights on) two clicks below the maximum brightness on the scale.

.....if I reset my drivers seat the TL will memorize the above two settings every time I get in the car with the fob. Correct or incorrect?

If the answer above is "correct", then.....

What happens if I tap the MAX button during the evening the next night? Does it remember that I hit the MAX button and go to the maximum on the scale every night thereafter until I hit the MAX button again, or does it go back to the last seat memory entry instead?

Same thing for daytime.....are daytime and nighttime mutually exclusive events or does hitting the MAX button override both the day and night settings?

(I'm going to need two aspirin and a shot of Zaino to get through this one.)

BJ
Old 04-26-2004, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Before I sent my first reply, I actually went to the car and tested all of this, and I can unequivocally (this can be the word for tomorrow) state that it works as I wrote. No matter what you do with your keyfob, the light settings will not change until someone locks and unlocks the car with the other keyfob.

I tried this every way possible and couldn’t get setting the memory seat to affect the lighting settings.

The memory seat, described as “The driving position memory system” in the manual on page 93, says “the current position of the driver’s seat and outside mirrors are now stored”. Nothing about air conditioning or dash light settings.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Racer

Ron,

OK, I’ll take you up the challenge. But I am going to use the MIDI too.

Damn, it sucks getting old. I just can’t remember what I did 4 months ago when I so excited about getting the car, and disappointed that I was going to have to explain to the service rep how the dash lights came on too bright every day. I might have used the other key fob one time. It WAS the first day I got the car home.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Ron, OK, I’ll take you up the challenge. But I am going to use the MIDI too.
I accept. Don't quite understand about the MIDI. The only thing the MIDI does is display the dash light settings, but it has nothing to do with any other setting in the MIDI.
Damn, it sucks getting old. I just can’t remember what I did 4 months ago...
Try yesterday!
Old 04-26-2004, 04:52 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

(Forgive the repost, but I'm still kung-fused. BJ)

Let me see if I understand this correctly. If my settings are....

Daylight (headlights off) one click below the maximum brightness on the scale.

Evening (headlights on) two clicks below the maximum brightness on the scale.

.....if I reset my drivers seat the TL will memorize the above two settings every time I get in the car with the fob. Correct or incorrect?

If the answer above is "correct", then.....

What happens if I tap the MAX button during the evening the next night? Does it remember that I hit the MAX button and go to the maximum on the scale every night thereafter until I hit the MAX button again, or does it go back to the last seat memory entry instead?

Same thing for daytime.....are daytime and nighttime mutually exclusive events or does hitting the MAX button override both the day and night settings?

BJ
Old 04-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Administrator

boltjames-the answer is "incorrect". Easy enough to test
1. Turn on ignition
2. Set dash lighting to lowest setting-1 bar showing
3. Press memo and press the memory button that corresponds to the key fob you are using
4. Set dash lighting to highest setting by pushing the + (not MAX) button
5. Get out of the car (some remote actions won't work if you are sitting in the car)
6. Lock the door
7. Unlock the door
8. Get in the car
9. Turn on the ignition
10. Check the dash light setting-it will be with all the bars lit, not with the 1 bar lit when you reset the memory position
11. Do it again if you don't believe this
Old 04-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Just read the earlier post (sorry) so I get the fact that it's not about the seat anymore.

So....

Does the car retain the LAST setting (bar 3, MAX button, etc) for BOTH the heads-on and heads-off or for EACH?

TIA
Old 04-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Administrator

boltjames-missed your last question.
Both correct. If by daytime you mean lights off and nighttime you mean lights on, then yes, daytime manual setting is different than nighttime manual setting, but MAX on will override both and will not go off until you do so manually by pressing the MAX button again.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Ron A
boltjames-missed your last question.
Both correct. If by daytime you mean lights off and nighttime you mean lights on, then yes, daytime manual setting is different than nighttime manual setting, but MAX on will override both and will not go off until you do so manually by pressing the MAX button again.
So....if my settings are:

Daytime (lights on) bar 4 brightness.

Nighttime (lights off) bar 3 brightness.

Does the MAX button "stick" or does the MAX button get rendered meaningless once you shut off / restart the car?

BJ
Old 04-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by boltjames
Just read the earlier post (sorry) so I get the fact that it's not about the seat anymore.

So....

Does the car retain the LAST setting (bar 3, MAX button, etc) for BOTH the heads-on and heads-off or for EACH?

TIA
Yes, it retains the last setting (example only: lights on 1 bar, lights off 4 bars, or MAX setting - both.)

Are we done?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:11 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

So....

If I have 3 bars in the daytime (lights off) and 2 bars at nighttime (lights on) and it's a cloudy and rainy day.....I turn on the headlights, the dash lights up at 2 bars. It's too dark. I hit MAX. After a few miles, I pull off the road to eat a tuna fish sandwich. Some chips, soda, maybe some carrot sticks. That's a bit too much sugar, so maybe it's a celery stalk or something else. Anyhow, I get back in the car and turn on the ignition.

The lights are off, so my dash is set to 3 bars right? And then when I turn the lights back on (still dark out there) the dash remembers the MAX it was set to, right?

TIA
Old 04-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Administrator

[/SIZE]
Originally Posted by boltjames
So....

If I have 3 bars in the daytime (lights off) and 2 bars at nighttime (lights on) and it's a cloudy and rainy day.....I turn on the headlights, the dash lights up at 2 bars. It's too dark. I hit MAX. After a few miles, I pull off the road to eat a tuna fish sandwich. Some chips, soda, maybe some carrot sticks. That's a bit too much sugar, so maybe it's a celery stalk or something else. Anyhow, I get back in the car and turn on the ignition.

The lights are off, so my dash is set to 3 bars right? And then when I turn the lights back on (still dark out there) the dash remembers the MAX it was set to, right?

TIA
Very well put. But of course my writing style says I have to elaborate and not leave it at a one liner.

The dash is still set at 3 bars daytime and 2 bars nighttime. This doesn't change by pressing the MAX button, but the lighting does go to MAX. When you turn the key on it will be on MAX and then when you turn the lights on it will be on MAX, because in both cases the dash remembers the MAX setting because that is what is was on last and will never never never come off MAX until you press the button again, or the other keyfob is used (I am pretty sure about this other key fob thingy but I am wearing out my leather seats testing all this so I will just have to hope its right).
Old 04-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

[/SIZE]
Very well put. But of course my writing style says I have to elaborate and not leave it at a one liner.

The dash is still set at 3 bars daytime and 2 bars nighttime. This doesn't change by pressing the MAX button, but the lighting does go to MAX. When you turn the key on it will be on MAX and then when you turn the lights on it will be on MAX, because in both cases the dash remembers the MAX setting because that is what is was on last and will never never never come off MAX until you press the button again, or the other keyfob is used (I am pretty sure about this other key fob thingy but I am wearing out my leather seats testing all this so I will just have to hope its right).
Just to make sure I'm getting this correct....

It's daytime so the lights are off on the 2 bar position. My wife enters the car with the other keyfob, turns on the lights, increases to 3 bars and hits the MAX button. She comes back after a trip to the market (beef is on sale it seems) and doesn't hit any buttons whatsoever....

Later that evening, I'm on my way to see my steady prostitute and use my keyfob to enter the car....it remembers me, and sets the lights back to the 2 bar position, correct? It ignores what my wife did (3 bar + MAX), right?

Also, what if neither of us used the REMOTES in this situation? Just stuck the key in the ignition WITHOUT touching a keyfob button? What then? Is it KEY sensitive or is it FOB sensitive?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Correct. It will remember the last setting by the other key fob. I had already written that it is keyfob sensitive, but then I went out and checked the car. IF you open the door with the lock cylinder in the door, the MID says Driver 1 detected, just like when you use the key fob, so it must retain the settings. I'm too lazy to get the other key fob and check this out, so do some work for me, please.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is confusing, and I want to make sure I understand perfectly.

IF I hit the MAX button BEFORE I floor the gas pedal, the Sport Shifter will or will NOT search for the lowest safe gear?

WHEN I turn UP the volume on the DVD-A, the fog lights DO or DO not stay on as long as the moonroof is open?

AS my head spins from the possibilities, DOES or DOES NOT the steering wheel move to the left as my puke spatters the dashboard? Damn, should have used Vinylex first!
Old 04-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TLGator
This thread is confusing, and I want to make sure I understand perfectly.

IF I hit the MAX button BEFORE I floor the gas pedal, the Sport Shifter will or will NOT search for the lowest safe gear?

WHEN I turn UP the volume on the DVD-A, the fog lights DO or DO not stay on as long as the moonroof is open?

AS my head spins from the possibilities, DOES or DOES NOT the steering wheel move to the left as my puke spatters the dashboard? Damn, should have used Vinylex first!
This is bad because what you said makes perfect sense, but the rest is very confusing. Should have bought a Maxima or a G35.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:29 PM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Thank you gentlemen for giving me a nice little chuckle at the end of the day.

boltjames you seem to have way too much going on in your life. You either need to get the wife to pick up more of the slack or get rid of the prostitute.

-phil
Old 04-26-2004, 09:56 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by PhilB
Thank you gentlemen for giving me a nice little chuckle at the end of the day.

boltjames you seem to have way too much going on in your life. You either need to get the wife to pick up more of the slack or get rid of the prostitute.

-phil
Thanks Phil....truth is, I just type fast and I'm a frustrated comedian stuck in a 9 to 5 life.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Correct. It will remember the last setting by the other key fob. I had already written that it is keyfob sensitive, but then I went out and checked the car. IF you open the door with the lock cylinder in the door, the MID says Driver 1 detected, just like when you use the key fob, so it must retain the settings. I'm too lazy to get the other key fob and check this out, so do some work for me, please.
(Ron....had to ask.....if neither person uses the KEY *or* the REMOTE, do the settings stick? Is it the physical key in the ignition that equals "wife" or only if she puts it in the lock and/or uses the remote?)

Also, what if neither of us used the REMOTES in this situation? Just stuck the key in the ignition WITHOUT touching a keyfob button? What then? Is it KEY sensitive or is it FOB sensitive?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Are we having fun yet???
Old 04-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Exclamation Wtf!

I had no idea I would come back a day later to my (seemingly) simple question to find some 30 replies and concerted efforts to solve my quandry.

I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. And you guys haven't even broached the topic of pressing the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously on the fob to store settings. Where does that come into play?

Just tell me what I need to do to SET my instrument level brightness for KEY 1 so that it isn't at Max. Do I sent it twice? Once with the lights on and once with them off?

XP
Old 04-26-2004, 11:42 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by xpditor42
I had no idea I would come back a day later to my (seemingly) simple question to find some 30 replies and concerted efforts to solve my quandry.

I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. And you guys haven't even broached the topic of pressing the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously on the fob to store settings. Where does that come into play?

Just tell me what I need to do to SET my instrument level brightness for KEY 1 so that it isn't at Max. Do I sent it twice? Once with the lights on and once with them off?

XP
Ron did a great job in explaining this to me, so I'm confident I can answer your question:

1. Turn the headlights off. Set the level to bar 3 (or whatever you prefer).

2. Turn the headlights on. Set the level to bar 2 (or whatever you prefer).

3. Push the "A" logo on the reverse of the keyfob whilst tuning the XM radio to channel 0 and depressing the 'talk' button on the steering wheel.

4. Use the following voice command: "Display Nearest Zaino™ Dealer"

5. Done!