insatllation????

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004 | 12:11 PM
Racer

insatllation????

Hey guys,

Just wondering . say i do save the money and buy an intake supercharger and jet prformance chip . will i have to install becasue i doubt any shops in staten island know anythign about 04 tl's. if anyone knows any shops in jersey near the outerbridge that wuld be great.

and sum1 please send me a link to jet performance website.
Old 07-24-2004 | 12:35 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by RavingStyleZ
Hey guys,

Just wondering . say i do save the money and buy an intake supercharger and jet prformance chip . will i have to install becasue i doubt any shops in staten island know anythign about 04 tl's. if anyone knows any shops in jersey near the outerbridge that wuld be great.

and sum1 please send me a link to jet performance website.
Don't even think about JET or any other chip until you see some independent verification. No one, not even the dedicated Honda tuners, has come out with anything yet. I think it pays to be a skeptic on this one.

Call Comptech and find an authorized retailer in your area. They should be able to point you to an installer.

Are you sure you are willing to toss your warranty for a supercharger? You mention having to save up for it. You need to realize that there is an increased chance that you will break something and you will probably not have saved up for that. Just my $.02, but I'm speaking from experience on this one.

Finally, be careful and safe. I'm sure you've read the other posts of guys having hot cars they can no longer afford to drive.
Old 07-24-2004 | 01:02 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Aegir
Don't even think about JET or any other chip until you see some independent verification. No one, not even the dedicated Honda tuners, has come out with anything yet. I think it pays to be a skeptic on this one.
Exactly my sentiments.

Originally Posted by Aegir
Call Comptech and find an authorized retailer in your area. They should be able to point you to an installer.

Are you sure you are willing to toss your warranty for a supercharger? You mention having to save up for it. You need to realize that there is an increased chance that you will break something and you will probably not have saved up for that. Just my $.02, but I'm speaking from experience on this one.

Finally, be careful and safe. I'm sure you've read the other posts of guys having hot cars they can no longer afford to drive.
Comptech does have many installers in NY. I'm not sure if Park Avenue Acura (in Maywood, New Jersey) would install the supercharger, but they do install other Comptech authorized goods (i.e. intakes, springs, etc.) IMO, they might not just because supercharger installs are a lot more complicated, and they might not want the risk. If they did do it, getting it at an Acura dealership is a plus because they might be more lenient with warranty issues (the key word is "might").

If you had plenty of money, and had other backup cars, I might say go for it. But I would advise against it, just because:
1. You are probably still getting used to driving such a powerful car (I know I am).
2. You might want to see how other's experiences are with a supercharger (i.e. any bugs in the system, how much power they have actually gotten, their views).
3. 270 hp should tide you over nicely for at least a year (maybe more), while you ponder this issue.
4. I'm 22, but the way I do things is to put aside money in my 401(k), save a little bit more just to be sure that I have some money in case things go awry, and have a dedicated amount that I put aside as "leisure money"...that money I can safely spend on my car. I would not put all my savings into a car, because you never know when you need that. (Then again, while writing this I remember the money I spent on things when I was 15-18... )

All I'm saying, is be careful in using the money. And definitely research all options before adding something to your car (this forum does have a lot of useful info). Good luck!
Old 07-24-2004 | 01:18 PM
10th Gear

umm... isnt the compression on these motors like 11 to 1 or something ridiculous like that? if you supercharge it or turbocharge it you aren't going to be running much boost.

not worth the warranty imo.
Old 07-24-2004 | 01:36 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

im gonna have to go with the others on the thread. its not worth voiding your warrenty.
Old 07-24-2004 | 06:24 PM
Racer

Are u guys sure it voids it .... And i wuld think that the supercharger wuld run a lot more bost then people think .. Thanx for the info guys i appreciate .... Type s Lady if ure out there post some good stuff

Just wondering type s lady what is your 0 - 60 time after the supercharger?? Thanx alot guys keep them comin
Old 07-25-2004 | 08:04 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by RavingStyleZ
Are u guys sure it voids it .... And i wuld think that the supercharger wuld run a lot more bost then people think .. Thanx for the info guys i appreciate .... Type s Lady if ure out there post some good stuff

Just wondering type s lady what is your 0 - 60 time after the supercharger?? Thanx alot guys keep them comin
It voids the Acura warranty on the parts affected, and when it is a supercharger...a lot is affected by it (i.e. the whole drivetrain). Still, Comptech has been pretty reliable.

Type S Lady has not taken in to a track after getting the supercharger (at least last I saw her post on the issue). Maybe you should search in the 2nd gen forums, I'm sure she spends more time there...or perhaps PM?