Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ink in leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 01:28 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ink in leather seats

Please forgive if this is something that has been covered in another post. I searched but could not find this specific issue.

Despite my constant cautions to not do this, my wife has a habit of leaving "stuff" (books, magazines, papers, flyers) sitting on the back seet of our 05 TL with Camel interior. I keep telling her the leather is delicate and using the back seat as a storage shelf is asking for trouble.

Well, trouble came. She left a program from a concert of local vocalists we attended friday night sitting on the backseat, under a heavy book she left back there. When I discovered it late Saturday (hot 82 degree day) and removed the items from the seat, some of the ink from the program had transfeered to the seat. Water and vigorous scrubbing doesn't get it out, and neither does leather conditioner.

Before I use something harmful, does anyone have any good reccomendations for a cleaner that might remove the ink... any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:30 PM
6MT & LSD

if you post this in the Wash & Wax section, you'll get more/better response.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:06 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
that's why my lady drives an accord and i take the tl.......
Old 06-14-2005, 06:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Slum Puppet
Please forgive if this is something that has been covered in another post. I searched but could not find this specific issue.

Despite my constant cautions to not do this, my wife has a habit of leaving "stuff" (books, magazines, papers, flyers) sitting on the back seet of our 05 TL with Camel interior. I keep telling her the leather is delicate and using the back seat as a storage shelf is asking for trouble.

Well, trouble came. She left a program from a concert of local vocalists we attended friday night sitting on the backseat, under a heavy book she left back there. When I discovered it late Saturday (hot 82 degree day) and removed the items from the seat, some of the ink from the program had transfeered to the seat. Water and vigorous scrubbing doesn't get it out, and neither does leather conditioner.

Before I use something harmful, does anyone have any good reccomendations for a cleaner that might remove the ink... any help would be appreciated.
Unfortunately, i don't know of anyway to get it out without redying the seat :-(. When I had my maxima, I ended up with a blue jean stain on my tan leather seats. I got some of it out with leather cleaner because I recognized it immediately. But there was always a bluish tint from where my jeans were on the seat. I took it to this leather place and they told me that the only way would be to re-dye the leather. I forgot how much they qouted me though. I never got it fixed, and when I sold the Maxima, I don't think the guy I sold it to even cared.
There is some stronger cleaner online that claims to be able to remove dye stains and ink spots from leather, but I never used it.

You need to lay the smack down on her so this doesn't happen again!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
try the magic eraser...it got ink from a pen off of my seat.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Advanced

Had a friend tell me that hydrogen peroxide takes it out. Have daughter's crayon melted in wife's Explorer. I'll try it tonight and get back to you if it works.