Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inaccurate trip computer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Inaccurate trip computer?

Branching off from the "inaccurate mpg" thread...is anyone getting inaccurate readings on their mph? let's say you're going down i-5 (freeway...) and your tac says 65 miles per hour, but when you look at the trip computer (push/hold reset), it reads 60? or maybe 62...I've gotten quite a few numbers outta that thing...58, 59 mph...

anyone? thanks!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is this push/hold reset thing you speak of in reference to speed?

MPG calcs in the info center have been dead accurate for me (just rolled over 10,000 miles today). I track every tank and calc manually, and the info center has never been wrong.

The trip computer in the navi (hack) is about 1.5mpg "optimistic," and it doesn't track miles correctly, either. I'd like to figure out if I can calibrate it.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by T Ho
What is this push/hold reset thing you speak of in reference to speed?

MPG calcs in the info center have been dead accurate for me (just rolled over 10,000 miles today). I track every tank and calc manually, and the info center has never been wrong.

The trip computer in the navi (hack) is about 1.5mpg "optimistic," and it doesn't track miles correctly, either. I'd like to figure out if I can calibrate it.
I agree! I have 14K miles on my 2006 and find the calculated mileage to be dead on with the observations above. The MID mileage is usually < 1 MPG of actual and this has been consistent for me these 1.5 years of ownership. The speed is an average so it will very a little because the speed of your car varies based on traffic patterns etc. Also the MID only shows integer numbers so it can't help but be off by .5- that's just the way the cookie crumbles. The hacked trip computer does show MPG in .1 increments.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Safety Car

is it really an average?...are you sure? cause it's not supposed to be! i'm talking about the "page" right before the "range" of mpg you get under the trip computer; if you push and hold the reset button, it's supposed to give you "mph", "mpg" and the time...can't be an average could it? hope not...i want a new tach! lol
Old 11-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, I see what you did there.

I figure, the way the MID calculates, there's probably a split-second or so where it reads speed as 0. Yes, it's always calculating the average, so that's likely why it comes out a smidgen below the speedo.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Safety Car

oh, but i forgot to mention that i was using cruise control...i redid it like...5 times on the way down to my apartment?...mukilteo to seattle = bout a 35 minute drive...
Old 11-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Just like the MID's Trip computer, the cruise control is not exact either- the speed will fluctuate a little bit on most roads that have any slight dips and such. You would have to be on a level road and it should be close. I'm not seeing the point for continuously resetting the MID anyway. The speedometer is the tool for current speed. If you feel like cross-checking the speedometer then borrow a portable GPS. I think my 5yr old Magellan GPS even shows an average speed setting so you could cross-reference the MID average speed with the GPS possibly.

I know people have given the MID a bad rap, but I honestly see it as being pretty darn accurate. The MID's average speed value is a great data point when quoting your gas mileage. The higher your speed, the higher your mileage. When people complain about 15MPG mileage, I guarantee you their MID will be in the <25 MPH average speed range. The only exception may be cruising 150MPH on an autobahn or something like that.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Drifting

I tried to edit my previous post and got timed out. Here goes again:

I'm certain the MID's speed is an average. Try resetting the MID while the car is idling and let it idle for a couple minutes like it would at a long traffic light. You'll find that once you start moving the MID reads lower than actual speed for some time afterward. It may take minutes before the MID speed converges on being close to your actual speed. I know this because I often fill up at a Costco a mile from my work in the morning. My MID will read 12MPH average speed when I enter my work's parking lot because I might be stuck at 3 traffic lights along the way. While I was moving, I was going 30-50 but the MID reads 12. Once I take the car out to lunch the MID starts moving to the 20s where tends to be for me mostly. I'm not sure of the algorithm, but it appears to be some form of moving average of speed over the time interval. The MID's computer also tracks time of operation and this must factor in the calculation.

Just like the MID's Trip computer, the cruise control is not exact either- the speed will fluctuate a little bit on most roads that have any slight dips and such. You would have to be on a level road and it should be close. I'm not seeing the point for continuously resetting the MID anyway. The speedometer is the tool for current speed. If you feel like cross-checking the speedometer then borrow a portable GPS. I think my 5yr old Magellan GPS even shows an average speed setting so you could cross-reference the MID average speed with the GPS possibly.

I know people have given the MID a bad rap over the years, but I honestly see it as being pretty darn accurate and useful. The MID's average speed value is a great data point when quoting your gas mileage. The higher your speed, the higher your mileage. When people complain about 15MPG mileage, I guarantee you their MID will be in the <25 MPH average speed range. The only exception may be cruising 150MPH on an autobahn or something like that.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.odosettlementinfo.com/
Honda f**ked up