3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm venting...my baby keyed/scratched

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
So it's been about 8 months since I picked up my car and its been coming along well. I've installed the a spec lip kit tinted windows and tiens coilovers. Just picked up the alt v1 roof spoiler pretty cheap at 90$ and though it needs paint I was gonna wait till spring time and get a new front bumper and paint with that (bumper has a small crack above the license plate and a big crack under the lip from previous owner)

So as I said my car was coming alone fine, (I heard my x mas present is the window rain visors) and then I parked my car on the street for one of the few times I've ever had to at work (car is always in my driveway or parking lot at work but bc of holiday traffic my boss made all employees park on the streets) and then come out to a deep scratch in my passeneger side rear door!!!! It's to the metal and even the clear cracked right off!!! So mad about this because I went to the dealer and bought oem touch up as that looks horrible to me.

Basically I'm just venting right now I figure I have to paint the whole door along with the spoiler and front bumper but one time but do you guys recommend I also paint my front passnger side door one time so it matches better??? The guys that painted my a spec side skirts matched it perfectly and I was happy there, I also once saw a tiny rock pebble size dent an paint crack in my front pass side door. Thanks for allowing me to vent a little guys lol

Here's my car two days before I found the scratch out. I hope it wasn't keyed by a jealous individual. I would like to think I don't have enemies but who knows
Attached Thumbnails I'm venting...my baby keyed/scratched-image.jpg   I'm venting...my baby keyed/scratched-image.jpg  

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-24-2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 12-23-2013, 07:49 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Sorry about the scratch OP. Scratches are inevitable unfortunately. KBP
The following users liked this post:
romeotl3 (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,595 Likes on 1,721 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Scratches are inevitable unfortunately
So true
Old 12-23-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts
I'd suspect that wasn't intentional.

Keying is usually so malicious, they'll run down the length of the entire panel and often on to another.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Yeah I figured it wasn't a keying. Probably a biker feel or maybe a Rock kicked up from another car or something. It's just that the scratch is about 5 inches long. That's not normal for just a scratch. Smh. I'm still mad. For a 5 yr old car other then front bumper this thing was mynt when i got it. But wateva
I haven't talked to my paint guy yet but I'd assume I have to paint the whole door right guys?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
yes, paint the whole door
Old 12-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Don't worry so much about it.
If you're like me, just put touch up paint on it.

It's been hard for me to realize, but over time people have just been telling me "it's just a car", and who knows what else might happen down the road. Now if it were a weekend car, it would bug me.

My car has scratches everywhere, few dents, rust too, and people still think my car looks good.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
That sucks man. If you don't plan on getting the door repainted you should deff throw some touch up paint on there so it doesn't rust. If you do it right it wont look too bad. But your car looks great! Nice and clean. Love the drop too.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I personally don't think it would be worth repainting the WHOLE door, get it detailed
Old 12-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Don't worry so much about it.
If you're like me, just put touch up paint on it.

It's been hard for me to realize, but over time people have just been telling me "it's just a car", and who knows what else might happen down the road. Now if it were a weekend car, it would bug me.

My car has scratches everywhere, few dents, rust too, and people still think my car looks good.
It is my daily but I can't stand that I'm vary picky with my cars. I always pay for parking lots or park in ways that other cars don't park near me at te gym or work Thanks for the compliment. I'm def gonna lower it some more in the spring. This seams like a good drop after we had some snow in NYC last week. I had no traction issues or scraping when it snowed I think 2 inches last week. But the spring comes and she's going down another two notches on my tiens lol

Originally Posted by nttstt444
That sucks man. If you don't plan on getting the door repainted you should deff throw some touch up paint on there so it doesn't rust. If you do it right it wont look too bad. But your car looks great! Nice and clean. Love the drop too.
I tried the touch up. I deal with a vary cool guy at the dealer that showed me how to apply it and I still see it in my eyes like nail polish over the scratch lol grr im just anal retentive like that I guess. Fml

Originally Posted by DrTynanol
I personally don't think it would be worth repainting the WHOLE door, get it detailed
. Ok I'm prob gonna sound ignorant for this. But how does detailing help me here? You mean like buff the scratch out?

Last edited by romeotl3; 12-23-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:04 AM
David_Dude

I don't think you can buff out a scratch that deep...

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
This.
guitarplayer16 (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 02:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I know it sucks but I honestly expected worse. I would get it fixed personally. It seems like once you start letting things go, before you know it the car is a POS.

I can tell you my story, it might make you feel better. I bought the car in Dec of '05. I was with some chick that I didn't really like but I kept putting off breaking up with her until after the holidays. So I had it planned for the day after Valentines. I pulled the trigger a little early which was the day before Valentines day. She got a little pissed and to make a long story short she keyed the entire side of my 2 month old TL before it had 100 miles on it. To make it worse before I got it fixed some chick in a new BMW pulled up next to me at a light and rolled the window down. She pointed at the huge key mark and said "Ex?" or something to that effect. So at that point I knew it was obvious to everyone.

It was $1,600 I think (it was so long ago). The clear had to be removed, panels repainted, and re-cleared. What they will probably do is blend the nearby panels, paint the damaged one and reclear all panels. It really sucked to have a brand new car with body work. The shop actually did a great job. You could only tell it had been painted because it looked better than the factory paint.
Last Thanksgiving my fiancée's spoiled bitch cousin left a door ding in my car even though we were the only ones in a huge driveway and didn't say anything. I had it fixed within a week because it bothered me so bad every day. My car at 125,000 miles has only one minor scratch and no dings whatsoever. Being black, there's no way I could let a ding stay, it would drive me crazy.

I say fix it, especially if you know it's going to bother you everyday.
The following 2 users liked this post by I hate cars:
Acura_Dude (12-24-2013), romeotl3 (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Instructor

wow i hate cars....i feel bad for you bro. i was pissed at my door being scratched but i can only imagine how you feel or felt! i originally blamed it on my boss like why do we the employee have to park on the street when we have a parking lot but i let that go as in nyc not many jobs offer parking so i shouldnt complain one day out a week. 1600$ is alot! i hope ins helped you? im not going through ins, this is out of my own pocket and it pains me to waiste cash that i was planning to use smh

yeah acura dude i figured that, lol i was a little confused by the logic of a "detail"

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-24-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 12-24-2013, 10:38 AM
David_Dude

Damn IHC, that was one pissed off ex. BTW Romeo (or anyone who actually knows this answer) wouldn't this scratch fall under the comprehensive part of your insurance (no rate increase)?

GL on repairs, dude.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts
Love the KBP TL's! But as people said, scratches and keyed are inevitable. There are people who are just haters and will scratch your car for no reason. How does it look with the touch up paint?
Old 12-24-2013, 07:25 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Take it to a reputable paint shop. They may be able to do something with it. My truck got keyed from stem to stern a few years ago and when I took it to the shop they were able to make it disappear by slowly buffing it out. Yes, you could do that yourself, but a good shop will do a much better job than you could. As long as it's still in the clearcoat anyway.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Sorry to see this, Romeo.
romeotl3 (12-26-2013)
Old 12-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
File a comprehensive insurance claim, vandalism and accidents are covered. That does suck though, Im moving to Long Island next month and im not looking forward to it at all. I actually just hit a fucking huge pothole on the Staten Isl expressway 2 days ago and bent one and cracked another rim. These roads are absolute shit and the people up here have no respect for other peoples cars it seems. I usually park in the very back of parking lots but it makes no difference here when every single spot is taken in the lot.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Sorry to hear about this.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
It seems like once you start letting things go, before you know it the car is a POS.
THIS^^

To people saying it is just a car... yeah it is just a car, and your home is just a home and your job is just a job. A car is a HUGE financial expense for a lot of people. For many, it builds them credit that they will use to buy a home and start a family.

Until you have a home or wife, there is nothing more substantial that you own other than your car (unless youve got a bundle of joy already).
I feel your pain dude. People fucking suck. I worry every day parked at work because your average American doesnt car about their car or the car they park next to. When people spend some much damn money on their cars it boggles my mind when people then just dont care.

Sure, if you get in an accident Id be worried more about the lives at risk than my car. But when keyed, fuck that, I care more about my car than the fucker that keyed it.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
THIS^^

To people saying it is just a car... yeah it is just a car, and your home is just a home and your job is just a job. A car is a HUGE financial expense for a lot of people. For many, it builds them credit that they will use to buy a home and start a family.

Until you have a home or wife, there is nothing more substantial that you own other than your car (unless youve got a bundle of joy already).
I feel your pain dude. People fucking suck. I worry every day parked at work because your average American doesnt car about their car or the car they park next to. When people spend some much damn money on their cars it boggles my mind when people then just dont care.

Sure, if you get in an accident Id be worried more about the lives at risk than my car. But when keyed, fuck that, I care more about my car than the fucker that keyed it.
Agreed. Once someone does something maliciously the car becomes more important than the person who did it. Nobody cares about other peoples stuff. I've been sitting in my friends $200,000 AMG Mercedes when some chick slams her door into his car and goes ooops. That turned into a heated confrontation and the other people could not understand what the big deal was. It really doesn't matter what the car costs, it's about respect but this Mercedes was clearly a nicer than average car and they thought we were crazy for getting upset.

I probably go a little overboard but I try to keep the car looking like new. I had the front end repainted once I stopped using it as a commuter. The carpet, steering wheel, the aluminum side strips on the console and a ton of other things have been replaced to keep it looking good. I'm glad I've kept it up well because someone hit it in the parking lot recently and the rear bumper has a big scratch and the license plate area is cracked. Money is tight right now thanks to the IRS garnishing wages so it's going to be at least a month till I get it fixed. I'm just glad the rest of the car is nice and there are not 100 things that need to be fixed. Being the original owner I still catch myself thinking of it as a new car on accident.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Holy crap I feel that. Months into owning my current acura, not even 500miles on her yet and Im sitting in my car reading a book at the corner of the parking lot and some dude rolls up next to me. His girl gets out and bam hits my car with her door. I calmly waiting for them to be a few car lengths away and got out with them close enough to realize I was inside. I get out and look with them close enough to get their attention had I found a ding. I did not and they kept walking. I moved my car a couple spots down.

Jerks.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbocoop
File a comprehensive insurance claim, vandalism and accidents are covered. That does suck though, Im moving to Long Island next month and im not looking forward to it at all. I actually just hit a fucking huge pothole on the Staten Isl expressway 2 days ago and bent one and cracked another rim. These roads are absolute shit and the people up here have no respect for other peoples cars it seems. I usually park in the very back of parking lots but it makes no difference here when every single spot is taken in the lot.
i have to check my ins on that....i have liability and i dont know if my ins will cover that. PLUS the problem with ins is that sometimes they do overpay you bc their adjusters are fools and write up the claim so much that the car looks smashed up on the claim and therefor BAD on a future carfax report. FOR EXAMPLE: once my 00 civic Si was hit on the front ds fender and door by a guy who ran a stop sign. the claim paid out almost 5k which was great at first bc it probabaly only cost me 1500 to fix but then when i sold the car the guy car faxed it and he was like "why does it say the whole driver side was sideswapped and 1/4 panel was damaged and a few other things" i was like wth

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Holy crap I feel that. Months into owning my current acura, not even 500miles on her yet and Im sitting in my car reading a book at the corner of the parking lot and some dude rolls up next to me. His girl gets out and bam hits my car with her door. I calmly waiting for them to be a few car lengths away and got out with them close enough to realize I was inside. I get out and look with them close enough to get their attention had I found a ding. I did not and they kept walking. I moved my car a couple spots down.

Jerks.
i feel ur pain...last night i was picking up my friend from the airport and some lady was about merge into my lane IE my lane with my car in it and i swerved to avoid the car. I was flipping out bc i had beeped at her 2x and been in that lane prior for a few mins.. i speed up the throw something at them but then I realized it was 2 girls and i just picked up my friend who was scared by my sudden road rage, also it was Christmas!!! lol i calmed down quicker then i would have

Last edited by romeotl3; 12-26-2013 at 08:05 AM.