Sponsored by:

I'm a Service Manager at a Honda Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Warning....

Trustin,

Obviously, you are not living up to your name. There is no need to berate someone, let alone a new member on Acurazine (as you are, basically).

Jeff is simply offering his advice to members here. He says he has worked in Honda Service for 16 years. If that isn't good enough for you, so be it. There is no need to act the way you've acted with your posts in this thread.

So this is a Warning to you. If you continue with this beratement and sarcasm, I'll give you a week's vacation from Acurazine to cool down. Plain and simple.

And, it sounds like, from the previous post to this one, that some of you are skeptical about the OP's offer. So I say to all of you....if you don't think the OP can offer you legitimate answers to your questions-YOU DON'T HAVE TO ASK ANYTHING.

But you also don't have to trash his thread AND his offer either. What I'm basically saying here is-if you don't like the OP's offer-fine. Just don't ruin it for others.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 08-19-2012 at 09:30 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Steven Bell:
08TList (08-23-2012), chardness (08-22-2012), GKinColo08TL (08-20-2012), j2thad2thac (08-20-2012), NBP04TL4ME (08-20-2012), nj2pa2nc (08-20-2012), paperboy42190 (08-22-2012), Pat04TL (08-20-2012) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts
Thank you, ^^^.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by j2thad2thac
Ive been at the same dealership for 16 years. Im new to this board but if you guys ever have any questions I will do my best to help.

If your getting your car serviced at a dealer and ever have any questions feel free to contact me.

Jeff
Welcome Jeff. What's it like being a service manager? Sounds like a very challenging job with constant hate thrown your way, what's your biggest challenge? What do you like about your job? What percentage of customers are challenging?

Last edited by leedogg; 08-20-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Welcome to the site, your input would be appreciated.

Terry
The following users liked this post:
j2thad2thac (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 705 Likes on 538 Posts
Welcome aboard Jeff!
j2thad2thac (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Welcome Jeff!

Got a simple one for ya (I think). My '04 TL 6MT has the famed Honda/Acura clicking clutch pedal. Single click near the bottom of pedal travel and a single click back on the return. Can feel it in the foot. I've tried lubing the spring with white lithium grease and it doesn't last for more than a day. Understand there is a TSB out for this. If I get it fixed, I figure I'm on the hook to pay for it as I'm way out of warranty with 126,000 miles.

I'm the original owner and have taken the same issue to two different dealers a total of 3 times. Clutch assembly was replaced twice and relubed once while it was still in warranty. Problem went away for a few years and now came back this summer with a vengence. Guessing it'll go away when it gets colder around here (based on other forum members' history with this issue).

Question: Does any of this history matter? I figure I'm screwed, however, is there a chance Acura would go for some deal like 1/2 price? Just throwin' it out there. I'll live with it until the clutch blows up if it comes to that, but it certainly is detracting from an otherwise near-perfect car...

Thanks in advance!
r/Pat
Old 08-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by leedogg
Welcome Jeff. What's it like being a service manager? Sounds like a very challenging job with constant hate thrown your way, what's your biggest challenge? What do you like about your job? What percentage of customers are challenging?

Leedogg, no disrespect intended, but guys-ask Jeff car questions...legit car questions. Let's not dilute this thread with non-car related observation type stuff.

If this thread is to go anywhere, we need to stick to the original theme of the OP's posting.

Thank you....
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
Welcome Jeff, thanks for offering your advice...I pm'd you a question because some of the guys here were being dicks, but I appreciate your offer.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 AM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
Welcome Jeff, my question comes about a recent trip to the local Honda dealership here (the Acura dealership sucks here) we were talking about a transmission fluid change as I don't have enough time to do it myself and asked if they could do a drain&fill. His response is that Honda now has new equipment for them to do a flush safely, unlike what all warnings never to do it this way. Do you know anything about this new method and could elaborate on it?

Sorry for errors I'm on my phone
Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Series Motor's

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I do not know what to tell you my man, I am in no way looking to target anybody I do not know. All I did is ask a simple question and didn't get a response that was reasonable. You are telling me I am "berating" someone, and they are and did only turn around and SAY MY QUESTION IS UNREASONABLE OR POINTLESS. What type of an adult response is that? and point being from a service advisor, I was not rude in the first place.

Pohljm is tripping out on me, calling me a dick; I do not understand what grounds that is on, as once again mentioned all I wanted was a simple answer, plus you obviously need to go back to my previous comments, since I already cleared myself. I think my response, below, is not rude at all actually justifying my position and clearing it up for all to understand. If that is an issue for you guys, as I already said below in same comment, I am genuinely sorry. I could honestly careless about any of this, this is a waste of all of our lives, and I already answered my own question. End of Story. So I already resolved your issue, so I do not understand why you are warning me.

"LOL, well as you can tell there is a "?" mark... after I asked a question the reply was a question itself... I do not know who answers a question with another question if it doesn't pertain to the answer... generally means the answer isn't what it should be. All I want is the simple answer to my simple question hahaha, so I can either take the time to read what this gentleman has to say or stop wasting time, nor do I wish to make fun of or put this guy down in any fashion. Pretty reasonable eh...."

Last edited by TrustinHFDJ; 08-28-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Hi there and welcome to acurazine!

Since some of these guys are asking some great questions I'll add in a few of my own that can hopefully help others!

1. If I'm having trouble with my car and out of warranty, what can I do, say or try in order to get some help from the dealership IE Goodwill on a transmission replacement?

2. If I come in to the dealership regularly (IE Oil Changes, brake fluid, etc) and a senario like #1 happens, am I more likely to get some sort of help?

3. What things absolutely make you upset and less likely to help customers (IE demanding replacements of things, bad attitude, etc)?

4. Are there any tips you have for customers when they come to a dealership for faster/better service that makes your job easier?

5. Do you hate it when we bring in our own parts?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
How much labor and cost does it take to bleed all four brake lines from a 2003 Honda Civic?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IamaTL
Welcome Jeff, my question comes about a recent trip to the local Honda dealership here (the Acura dealership sucks here) we were talking about a transmission fluid change as I don't have enough time to do it myself and asked if they could do a drain&fill. His response is that Honda now has new equipment for them to do a flush safely, unlike what all warnings never to do it this way. Do you know anything about this new method and could elaborate on it?

Sorry for errors I'm on my phone
We still do not flush transmissions unless we are replacing one and need to flush the lines. Unless you are having a problem with the transmission and drain and fill will be just fine....IMO
Old 08-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance

Since some of these guys are asking some great questions I'll add in a few of my own that can hopefully help others!

1. If I'm having trouble with my car and out of warranty, what can I do, say or try in order to get some help from the dealership IE Goodwill on a transmission replacement?

2. If I come in to the dealership regularly (IE Oil Changes, brake fluid, etc) and a senario like #1 happens, am I more likely to get some sort of help?

3. What things absolutely make you upset and less likely to help customers (IE demanding replacements of things, bad attitude, etc)?

4. Are there any tips you have for customers when they come to a dealership for faster/better service that makes your job easier?

1. Years ago goodwill was pretty easy to get. When the economy went to crap then Honda really tightened up. Its best to speak to the service mgr first and if he cant help tell him/her in a nice way that you are going to call Honda and ask for some help.

2. If you have a good service history at a dealer that will go a long way with Honda. No service history then it will be a tough deal.

3. Most Honda dealers are going to help people no matter what. Of course its not a nice feeling when someone goes off or cusses you out but thats part of the job. I can say this doesnt happen very often with Honda customers.

4. Try and build a relationship with the service advisor. Once you find one you like always ask for them when you call or go in.

5. We dont mind people bringing there own parts except if there aftermarket. We have been burned so many times putting on aftermarket parts supplied by the customer that it just not worth the hassle.

Great questions!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pat04TL
Welcome Jeff!

Got a simple one for ya (I think). My '04 TL 6MT has the famed Honda/Acura clicking clutch pedal. Single click near the bottom of pedal travel and a single click back on the return. Can feel it in the foot. I've tried lubing the spring with white lithium grease and it doesn't last for more than a day. Understand there is a TSB out for this. If I get it fixed, I figure I'm on the hook to pay for it as I'm way out of warranty with 126,000 miles.

I'm the original owner and have taken the same issue to two different dealers a total of 3 times. Clutch assembly was replaced twice and relubed once while it was still in warranty. Problem went away for a few years and now came back this summer with a vengence. Guessing it'll go away when it gets colder around here (based on other forum members' history with this issue).

Question: Does any of this history matter? I figure I'm screwed, however, is there a chance Acura would go for some deal like 1/2 price? Just throwin' it out there. I'll live with it until the clutch blows up if it comes to that, but it certainly is detracting from an otherwise near-perfect car...

Thanks in advance!
r/Pat
With your history It wont hurt to ask for a little help. But being a 04 and that mileage I wouldnt get your hopes up.
Pat04TL (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You know those coupons you get in the mail for like $200 off timing belt, water pump, and spark plug changes for 100k maintenence? Is it true that they don't just give that out to anybody? The lady i talked to at acura said they're pretty special to get in the mail and i'm 90% sure she was just telling me what i wanted to hear lol.

and the plastic tab on my passenger door handle fell off for the third time now. Should I even try to get them to hook me up with one?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by macKdaddytran
You know those coupons you get in the mail for like $200 off timing belt, water pump, and spark plug changes for 100k maintenence? Is it true that they don't just give that out to anybody? The lady i talked to at acura said they're pretty special to get in the mail and i'm 90% sure she was just telling me what i wanted to hear lol.

and the plastic tab on my passenger door handle fell off for the third time now. Should I even try to get them to hook me up with one?
Most coupons like that are sent out to people that have not been in the dealership for 12 months or longer.

On the plastic tab---be nice and ask...you never know...a tech may have 20 of them in his toolbox and just give you one.
macKdaddytran (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 07:11 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, newbie here. Just got a 2005 TL, love it but I only have a french owners manual. What are the chances of ordering one or getting a hand me down.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Advanced

Transmission Fluid drain and Fill

Jeff I am taking my Acura 2006 TSX to a Honda dealer for a Transmission fluid drain and fill is this OK that I am going to Honda and not Acura do they use the same transmission fluid?
Old 08-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Braz60
Jeff I am taking my Acura 2006 TSX to a Honda dealer for a Transmission fluid drain and fill is this OK that I am going to Honda and not Acura do they use the same transmission fluid?
At my dealership we use the exact same fluid. Just ask them before you sign your repair order just to make sure.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Advanced

At my dealership we use the exact same fluid. Just ask them before you sign your repair order just to make sure.
Just to make sure the Trans fluid should be DW-1?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Braz60
Just to make sure the Trans fluid should be DW-1?
Yes Dw1 is correct.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TrustinHFDJ
I do not know what to tell you my man, I am in no way looking to target anybody I do not know. All I did is ask a simple question and didn't get a response that was reasonable. You are telling me I am "berating" someone, and they are and did only turn around and SAY MY QUESTION IS UNREASONABLE OR POINTLESS. What type of an adult response is that? and point being from a service advisor, I was not rude in the first place.

Pohljm is tripping out on me, calling me a dick; I do not understand what grounds that is on, as once again mentioned all I wanted was a simple answer, plus you obviously need to go back to my previous comments, since I already cleared myself. I think my response, below, is not rude at all actually justifying my position and clearing it up for all to understand. If that is an issue for you guys, as I already said below in same comment, I am genuinely sorry. I could honestly careless about any of this, this is a waste of all of our lives, and I already answered my own question. End of Story. So I already resolved your issue, so I do not understand why you are warning me.

"LOL, well as you can tell there is a "?" mark... after I asked a question the reply was a question itself... I do not know who answers a question with another question if it doesn't pertain to the answer... generally means the answer isn't what it should be. All I want is the simple answer to my simple question hahaha, so I can either take the time to read what this gentleman has to say or stop wasting time, nor do I wish to make fun of or put this guy down in any fashion. Pretty reasonable eh...."
What is the point of this post? You are trying to prove that you weren't being a dick or implying that the OP is just a brainless service advisor, when that's exactly what you meant when you said that the OP couldn't comprehend a simple question.

Go find another forum to try and act hard to people that are only interested in helping each other out in whatever way they can.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnfilice:
j2thad2thac (08-30-2012), pohljm (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

Lol you are already proving why you are a service advisor... "My Only Question....." was to know if you were of any use, as we can tell already you cant comprehend simple question Acurately XD

So I am done wasting my breath, AND WELCOME! This is going to be a wonderful ride for you, I can already tell.
So Ive proved my self to be a service advisor...thats funny...and all you want to know is if im going to be any use to you....your breath has been wasted.

So I guess the only people that can join this board and post anything are the ones that can be of use to you....thats nice to know.

I think Im in for a great ride on here cause it looks like most of the members here arent like you.

I just cant understand why you would even post any of the things you said when I said nothing out of line to you or anyone else. If you dont think I could ever help you than why would you need to say anything? Do you respond to every post made here that doesnt help you in some way?
Old 08-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
"Some men just want to watch the world burn..."
Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
I really cant even believe he came back...............and only to post more crap. Oh well you get all kinds here!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Team Owner

Guys, don't worry about Trustin....just let it go.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steven Bell:
NBP04TL4ME (08-30-2012), pohljm (09-01-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Thanks Steven.

A novel idea of actually letting / making this thread out play out the way it was originally intended and not getting tied up and lost in non-value added bickering.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello Jeff i have a question,

my car is making a chirping noise when on a cold start on low gears and low speed.

It makes it slightly at idle to

Ive changed the serp. belt, tensioner, and the idle pulley and its still making the noise...idk what it is. One mechanic said it could be the a/c compressor. WHat u think
Old 08-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Leedogg, no disrespect intended, but guys-ask Jeff car questions...legit car questions. Let's not dilute this thread with non-car related observation type stuff.

If this thread is to go anywhere, we need to stick to the original theme of the OP's posting.

Thank you....
Originally Posted by csmeance

mod vs mod.

battle
Old 08-31-2012, 09:40 PM
Series Motor's

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Of course I came back for more, what do I really have to run from? I did nothing wrong, nor did I try to instigate a battle. I may have been rude, but that was based on the response I got, not being rude for no apparent reason.

I just cant understand why you would even post any of the things you said when I said nothing out of line to you or anyone else. If you dont think I could ever help you than why would you need to say anything? Do you respond to every post made here that doesnt help you in some way?
All I asked you was a simple question as my first response, really? I am still here wondering why you didnt answer my question, so that none of this would have ever happened. I think that's where the point is getting lost amongst the people who are posting in this thread. Do you guys really believe that if he told me that he wasn't certified that I am gona start talking shit? I just dont get it really, and just as much as you do not get why I posted that, I do not understand why you didn't simply just answer my question; you still have no reason to this point, after all this BS occurred, why you did not just answer.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
j2thad2thac, I just want to ask is it truth that Acura/Honda Certified car with 100k miles power train warranty only transferable from owner to owner? What happened if the previous owner bought it as CPO then trade it in and I bought it, do I still retain the 100k power train warranty? thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Ah, hamburgers!

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts
Of course I came back for more, what do I really have to run from? I did nothing wrong, nor did I try to instigate a battle. I may have been rude, but that was based on the response I got, not being rude for no apparent reason.

All I asked you was a simple question as my first response, really? I am still here wondering why you didnt answer my question, so that none of this would have ever happened. I think that's where the point is getting lost amongst the people who are posting in this thread. Do you guys really believe that if he told me that he wasn't certified that I am gona start talking shit? I just dont get it really, and just as much as you do not get why I posted that, I do not understand why you didn't simply just answer my question; you still have no reason to this point, after all this BS occurred, why you did not just answer.

Let it go man.
j2thad2thac (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by truonghthe
j2thad2thac, I just want to ask is it truth that Acura/Honda Certified car with 100k miles power train warranty only transferable from owner to owner? What happened if the previous owner bought it as CPO then trade it in and I bought it, do I still retain the 100k power train warranty? thanks in advance.
If someone trades in a car that was certified than that certification is voided once its traded.
truonghthe (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Jeff, I finally have a relevant question for you. We have a 2000 Odyssey with a blown AC compressor. I believe the refrigerant lines are filled with metal shavings. The mechanic believes he can flush the lines of the metal shavings and clear the condenser as well. I am thinking that condenser will need to be replaced. What is your shops procedure for the compressor replacement? He will be responsible for a new compressor if his method does not work, but the timing will suck as a delayed repair will leave us without AC as we take my daughter to college. Between transmissions and AC compressors this Odyssey is a money pit. Good thing its only used for back and forth to college trips!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pohljm
Jeff, I finally have a relevant question for you. We have a 2000 Odyssey with a blown AC compressor. I believe the refrigerant lines are filled with metal shavings. The mechanic believes he can flush the lines of the metal shavings and clear the condenser as well. I am thinking that condenser will need to be replaced. What is your shops procedure for the compressor replacement? He will be responsible for a new compressor if his method does not work, but the timing will suck as a delayed repair will leave us without AC as we take my daughter to college. Between transmissions and AC compressors this Odyssey is a money pit. Good thing its only used for back and forth to college trips!
If there is metal in the lines than most of the time we see metal in the condensor and sometimes the evaparator. I would make sure the tech will cover the extra expense if his method doesnt work.

Sorry about all your problems with the Ody. 99 and 00 models were not Honda's best work. The transmissions were terrible.

Whats sad is that I put 150k miles on a 92ex accord and sold it to a friend of mine. It now has a little over 400k on it and still has the same engine, trans and a/c comp. Still has the original o2 sensor.

That doesnt happen anymore now a days. Its been sad to watch the quailty of cars from all automakers go so far down.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

3 trannys in the 00 Odyssey and 3 trannys in the 06 TL you dont have to tell me about Honda V6 trannys! They just suck! I will let them flush the lines and see what happens.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:35 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, Jeff. Always nice to have a friend at the dealer...
Old 09-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Racer

I have a question. Today the service manager at my Acura dealer tried to sell me on a cabin filter service even though I already change the filter myself. He says besides changing the filter they also disinfect the evaporator. Is he bsing me or is this something that should actually be done?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rtlltj
I have a question. Today the service manager at my Acura dealer tried to sell me on a cabin filter service even though I already change the filter myself. He says besides changing the filter they also disinfect the evaporator. Is he bsing me or is this something that should actually be done?

Thats a new one on me. Only reason to do that would be if there was a lot of leaves or mildew built up in there.

Quick Reply: I'm a Service Manager at a Honda Dealer