Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm in

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 02:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in

Alright ladies and gentlemen, I'm in your club. Drove home in my new antrocite/quartz 6mt with Nav.
I was very impressed with the power. I had been very critical on my two test drives, driving the car very hard with somewhat dissapointing results. I bought the car because the luxury features are so outstanding at that price, and the general ride was decent. comming from a 350 Z I was prepared to settle down.....But Today I was practically amazed. In normal (for me) freeway driving how much extra power was there, even keeping below 4000 rpm. of course the interior is phenominal as is the stereo. the nav...well jury is still out.

thank you all for helping me make the decision to buy this car.

I'm happy enough to be writing this at 1:26 am ....just three more hours till I need to get up so I can drive again
Old 01-16-2004, 06:50 AM
Racer

Your dealer had the Anthracite/Quartz 6MT Navi on the lot?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:04 AM
Racer

Congrats on your new ride. I have 1600 miles and it only gets better. I have mastered the clutch and shifter and as you noted even during break in, it has a lot of punch. After break in - WOW. I was at the dealer yesterday and had a couple of small issued fixed. I was looking at all their TL's and wondering if I chose the right color. I decided that I had made the best choice. I think you will really like the anthracite and quartz. It is subtle, classy, and has that German look. It also is a little stealth.

The Navi and voice commands (VC) take a while to get used to, but as you learn the commands and how to move around the system it is great. I have a favorite Navi feature. It is being able to see the switchback and curves ahead when dring in the mountains. A favorite feature of the VC is to set an XM channel - just say "XM Channel 72" No knob fiddling. (You almost never have to touch the radio - that is a safety feature because I have had an accident once due to fiddling with the radio. )
Old 01-16-2004, 07:08 AM
BOOK EM

You get up at 430 in the am? You a garbage man?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:09 AM
Racer

goofy md, Did you get the HPT's? Anything is miles better than the EL 42's. I just reset my pressure to 36 front and 30 rear and my TL has better grip and less understeer than the suggested setting.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:16 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by greenseed
Your dealer had the Anthracite/Quartz 6MT Navi on the lot?
Yup. I was considering buying goofy md's car last weekend. The 6MT just woudn't be a good idea for my long daily commute through rush-hour traffic.

Congrats on the TL, goofy md!
Old 01-16-2004, 09:57 AM
What's a TL?

Congrats....keep us updated on what you find you like/dislike about the car. As was mentioned previously, it only gets better with time...6 weeks in I am finding myself happier with the car eveyday, especially because I am now comfortable with the car so I can exploit its performance a bit more now
Old 01-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Banned

Congrats, and welcome to the club.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Congratulations on joining the club and damn, you get up early in the morning.

4700 miles and still smiling.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Congrats Goofy Md.

I love the smell of 04TL in the morning--It smells like victory!
I got the same flavor, the only variance is the Ebony.

I am starting to believe that the Navi voice system likes to be spoken to in a fast pace--that way for me anyhow.
Could depend on phonics.

Welcome to the 6MT club.
NathanSilver
Old 01-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

Greenseed- yes it was on the lot, thanks to Got Jazz. (wouldn't have done it without the 6MT.

Danno- I feel like a garbageman sometimes,but I get more colds...I'm a pediatrician

Lakeman- yes I have the HPT

The one thing I'm not sold on is the Nav. there are roads Including in my neighborhood that aren't on the system. even some freeway exits that have been open for at least five years!!

On the flip side, my wife is upset, I get in my car and have a sexy woman to talk to, who always listens and never tels me I'm wrong.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Racer

Originally posted by goofy md

The one thing I'm not sold on is the Nav. there are roads Including in my neighborhood that aren't on the system. even some freeway exits that have been open for at least five years!!

On the flip side, my wife is upset, I get in my car and have a sexy woman to talk to, who always listens and never tels me I'm wrong.
I also have seen some errors in the Navi, but I am told by a friend that at best any Navi database is 96% accurate. Maybe updates will be available in the future. Another feature of the Navi I like is that it will automatically recalculate a new path if you accidentally or intentionally go another way. (I sometimes have to turn the voice off so I don't keep getting "make a U turn" over and over.)

Again Welcome!!
Old 01-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

this is true, it recalculates very rapidly, and without the anoying anouncments "Recalculating route" souding out over and over
Old 01-16-2004, 06:17 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome and Congratulations Goofy md. Now the fun begins. 6MT is the best I've ever driven in my whole life.

1768 miles in 4 weeks and still smiling.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:25 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by joganjani
Welcome and Congratulations Goofy md. Now the fun begins. 6MT is the best I've ever driven in my whole life.

1768 miles in 4 weeks and still smiling.
Damn I thought I drive alot... So far I got 1790 in 27 days.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Mav
Team Nighthawk Spokesman

Welcome to the Family...Let me give you the lay of the land...

New guy buys the beer. We back in our assigned parking spots and anything left in the frig longer then two days is open domain. Um....raise the seat we have ladies living here now and remember....above all else....we are all one big family.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Cool

gooofy md.

Go to setup screen #3, to the "Voice Guidance" and select female or male voice.

Sounds to me like you and your woman would be happier w/the latter.

NathanSilver

*2004_Acura-TL_Anthracite_Ebony_6MT_Navi_Z600_T-Mobile
*1973_Black_Norton_850_Commando
*2002_Blue/Silver_Schwinn_Aluminum_Strand-Cruiser_7Speed-Internal-Nexus-Hub
*1967_2_Feet(2 left feet)
*:wow: :wow: :wow: :=
Old 01-17-2004, 05:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very good. Which dealer did you purchase, Bell, North Scottsdale or Tempe?
Old 01-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Intermediate

bell. very nice people working there
Old 01-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Intermediate

Nav and living in AZ

I just ordered mine with Nav; however, I don't have great expectations as to its completeness, particularly for AZ. For example, my home (Ahwatukee for Phoenicians) is within 5 minutes of three very new expressways which grow by the day.

I'm still ooking forward to having this feature as i'm constantly lost.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:47 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great purchase!
welcome to the 6MT club also.

I keep my NAVI in Male voice
(for a change, I had an 00tl before and
all we could hear was that female japanese voice).

The best voice is the one from the HFL, very professionally done.

Some cities are better than others for NAVI, Houston is good.
if you live in a new neighborhood like me, your house won't be in the map for a while. (not Acura's fault)
Old 01-18-2004, 04:47 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bell. very nice people working there
I agree! Low pressure. Low price. After establishing a relationship with the salesperson, it was more of a "Here - take the keys, have fun!" kind of attitude.

Originally posted by bgronek
I just ordered mine with Nav; however, I don't have great expectations as to its completeness, particularly for AZ. For example, my home (Ahwatukee for Phoenicians) is within 5 minutes of three very new expressways which grow by the day.
From what I can see, Navtech's database (the one used by the Acura TL's Navi system) is about 1 -> 1.5 years out-of-date for roadwork.

Good thing that nothing's happened in the valley for the last year or two ...
Old 01-18-2004, 09:16 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by lakeman
.......I have a favorite Navi feature. It is being able to see the switchback and curves ahead when dring in the mountains.....
Lakeman,
Could you please explain this feature more? The view ahead is not through a front camera, right? I'm assuming you meant that its just the layout being displayed on the Nav screen?

Thanks!

-Arif
Old 01-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Racer

Originally posted by azobairi
Lakeman,
Could you please explain this feature more? The view ahead is not through a front camera, right? I'm assuming you meant that its just the layout being displayed on the Nav screen?

Thanks!

-Arif

No camera. (Did not mean to imply that) You see the road ahead in "plan view" or layout as you said. It is very accurate and informative. I usually have the Navi in the "heading up" mode, which always keeps the map facing in the direction you are going. A quick glance at the Navi and you can see - for instance - a 180 degree tight switchback followed by a short straight section, a gentle left hand sweeper followed by a long straight. It is like having been on the road before and knowing what is coming. It really helps plan your gear selection, braking, and takes some of the "whats around the next turn" out of the drive.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Mav
Team Nighthawk Spokesman

WHAT? 6MT club? Thats it I quit! I just spent $35,000 to join the TL club and now I find out I was suppose to get the 6MT instead of the 5AT!?!?!? Next thing your gonna start telling me that Honda owns Acura. grrrr!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Intermediate

bgronek- your right about the accuracy of the nav system. my dealer said this disk was loaded in october. as got jazz said probably two years old. alot of the freeways in the phoenix area are not loaded yet. I.E. az51 stops at bell. on loop 101 (NW side) there is no exit at 75, or union hills-although they have been there for 4-5 years. my area in greyhawk is not in the system but it is only one and a half years ole so I expected that.