3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If your TL was ruined.. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:16 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
If your TL was ruined.. What would you do?

If your TL was violated as mine has been, what would you do?

A) Fix it back to how it was and keep it
B) Trade it in on something else
C) Other

If you picked B, what other cars would you consider if you did not get an Acura?

My thoughts are to fix my car, not back to the way I had it, but to stock and trade it in on a Cadillac CTS-V.

Thought? Opinions?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, that depends on you. For me, if the car is damaged really bad then I'll sell it. But if it's only minor cosmetic stuff then I'll fix it and keep it. If you want to get a new car, BMW is coming out with the coupe (1 series) which I think it's gonna be my next car.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Ruined? You mean as in Totalled?

I'd buy a new one.

If you mean a few grand in collision-type damage, I'd probably just fix it an forget it (option A).

If you mean violated by a bunch of asshole surfing punks - probably still Option A.

Your car is not *that* heavily damaged (AFAIK). It's not the car that's the problem, it's your emotional attachment to the car. You have to do what works for you.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:37 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think i'd go for a CTS-V
Old 08-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Pro

Either get a new TL-S, a new G35, or if I could find one at the right price either a couple or sedan 335i. I think I could live with any of those choices but I would miss all of the goodies in the TL that are extras/not available in the TL. The CTS-V sure looks good and is very fast as well but...its American...and the quality of everything inside just isnt even close to the TL and that to me would be a let down. Keep us up to date on what you decide.
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Ruined? You mean as in Totalled?

I'd buy a new one.

If you mean a few grand in collision-type damage, I'd probably just fix it an forget it (option A).

If you mean violated by a bunch of asshole surfing punks - probably still Option A.

Your car is not *that* heavily damaged (AFAIK). It's not the car that's the problem, it's your emotional attachment to the car. You have to do what works for you.
Exactly...
Instructor

Like everyone said, if its minor then fix it and keep it. If not, sell it and get something else. I would love to get a BMW 5 Series but they don't come in manual.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow...you had to throw the CTS-V in there didn't you...THAT makes it a tough choice, especially since you live far enough south to enjoy the RWD power. Don't get me wrong, I love my TLS...BUT if I lived where there was no snow....CTS-V is what I'd be driving right now. I've had the opportunity at a GM event to drive that car on a closed course right before driving a new C7 Vette...and IMO, the experience was nearly identical...except the CTS-V is a stealth mobile with 4 doors. No it didn't handle quite as well balls out around very tight turns...but it has just as much giddy-up. And it SOUNDS like a Corvette. That is one fun car.
Get one a year old with under 12K miles (they aren't hard to find) for about $35K.

Of course, I've seen Consumer Reports that rate the TLS as an equal to the C7 Vette on Skidpad and Slolum testing. If that isn't a great testiment for a FWD car, what is?

So yeah...very very hard choice.

For me it was a lot easier...I live in the snow and ice capitol of the midwest. No branier...TLS for me.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:51 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
I would just pick up a TL-S or a G35 sport. I just ran some insurance quotes and these two were the only reasonable rates(a 335i and IS350 were almost double and triple what I'm paying, no go for me).

It would either be that route or just get a used Civic or Integra that would be paid in cash, save some money and wait around for the 4G TL to come out.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:57 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I had a similar problem with my first TL '05 NBP. There are no other cars out there that I want, other than a 15 year old Landcruiser. So I got me a 06 TL, if I were in your shoes today, Cadillac no way, not reliable, G35S or TL-S would be my only choices.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I venture to say that either Acura (corporate or dealer) or you USAA insurance will pay to have your car fixed back to the way it was. A-Spec sides, RJ wheels, nice tires & fix the door (if there really was damage). That is what is owed to you because that is the condition of the car when you left it there. Unless there is major damage to the suspension and brakes, I would keep the TL. If there is damage, hopefully someone can talk some sense into the GM at the dealer and they can put you in a TL-S for a small difference. But, if you don't want another Acura, although they really are great cars for the money, I would get a 328/335 or G37/G37.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:08 PM
How may I help you.....?

So basically I just need to suck it the fuck up and fix my ride...

make it even sexier than before....
Old 08-08-2007, 02:13 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

The CTS-V is a bad ass car. Go to www.cadillacforums.com some great info there. I think the new CTS-V will be out in '09 or '10 which hopefully will have a differential that can handle the power.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by jmbnova

Yeah, basically that.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:14 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
The CTS-V is a bad ass car. Go to www.cadillacforums.com some great info there. I think the new CTS-V will be out in '09 or '10 which hopefully will have a differential that can handle the power.
Yeah, I have been all over those forums checking it out...

there just isn't another car out there that I like as much... I just feel like my ride got raped...

Purely emotional as my darling wife keeps trying to tell me...
Old 08-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Advanced

Not to slight anyones personal or emotional attachment to their car, but in the end, it's just a car. It's a thing, not a person, and while I've been devistated in the past by the loss of a computer (moreso the files on said machine), and would be quite saddened by the loss of my own car or even our house, I know it's just a object that can be replaced.

You get good insurance coverage, you treat your things with respect, you put in the amount of time and care that you're willing to devote to making that thing bring you the joy that you hope to get out of it, and if someone screws that up on you mailciously or through apathetic actions, you make them pay for the hardship they've caused you. Still, it's just a thing, and it can be replaced.

Now if I were to lose my wife, or a good friend (again), then I would be very very saddened.

I would probably eventually get a new wife, though.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:44 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Yeah, I have been all over those forums checking it out...

there just isn't another car out there that I like as much... I just feel like my ride got raped...

Purely emotional as my darling wife keeps trying to tell me...
It is in a way.

I was strongly considering a CTS-V about a year ago. I did right by getting a TL I'm not compelled to modify the car and it is just my commuter (there are some days I just want to lower it, a-spec body kit, bbk, and some 19" volks, but that comes and goes). I'd probably be hating life using a 400hp RWD car for traffic duty. It wouldn't be fair to either party.

You have a bond to your car, we all do since we are on here. Maybe try something new, a change could do you good. Do what you feel is right. As the above poster mentioned cars, houses, computers can all be replaced, people can't.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Fix it and keep it. If you want a CTS-V, wait until the 08...or the 09 when it gets the LS7.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=101188 (article on the CTS, but you can see the design changes...the V will look very similar)
Old 08-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
At least the TL wasn't in a collision that would be cause for concern. The side skirts will be factory painted, and the wheels and tires will be new. Don't remember the other problems, but the car might be better than when you dropped it off, as it will have new parts that you so desire, plus a fresh detail along with the trans install.
Keep it unless the want for another car is overbearing. Anything can be fixed, but it is the quality of workmansip that makes the difference.

A local fellow purchased a 3 month old Boxster with 2,700 miles that needed $31,000 worth of repairs. He fixed it, his brother drives the car, and you can't tell it was ever hit, but it's got to be done correctly.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Advanced

My advice: get unstuck

You'll feel better when you have this chapter behind you. The critical path has to include fixing the car. I don't think you want it anymore, after what's happened, so fix it stock. Next, find something you like and get it. Life's too short to dwell on the bad things that happen to us, so close this chapter.

For the CTS-V and BMW advocates, remember that these cars are not as trouble-free as Acuras. If you know what you're getting into, enjoy. If you've only had Hondas and Toyotas, you're going to be in for a big disappointment when you see the boatload of trivial things that just fail for no good reason on these cars. I've had 10 BMWs and a Mini and that's what it took to cure me. Go to the boards on the cars you are considering and see what the other owners are saying about them. I love the CTS-V, just the idea of it. But I don't think they are very well made and they can wear you out.

If it were me, I think I'd fix the old car stock, drive it until the new TL and TSX come out and then get one of those. Depends on what you want in a car, but I really like the TSX. It doesn't have the brute force of the TL, but it has great handling, feel, steering and brakes. Plus it's made in Japan, and I believe there is a difference. Good luck with whatever you decide. Listen to your friends and your wife and walk away from this unpleasant memory.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:52 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Dude, tide yourself over with whatever until the 4g comes out.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:03 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

B) Since your looking for one around $50k , I say BMW 335ci .
Old 08-08-2007, 05:51 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

I would probably cry and then trade it in on a new one!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:49 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Jeff, we can fix your car for about $3500-$4000...

New rims tires = Legends/Inspires + Tires $2K
New WDP side skirts and rear lip = $500...
Rocker repair, ??? 500 guess
Paint (shop) = $3-500

There's probably no real damage to the underbody, or the rotors...

Look at it this way, you've about got a supercharger out of the deal.

BTW, what's up with the tranny?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:04 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by blacktls07
Like everyone said, if its minor then fix it and keep it. If not, sell it and get something else. I would love to get a BMW 5 Series but they don't come in manual.

Off topic but the 550 has a 6sp manual
Old 08-08-2007, 09:23 PM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cry
Old 08-08-2007, 09:40 PM
TL N YA

Keep it Jeff!

Jeff i know how you feel! But get it fixed and keep on riding. That a rare color
"Damm" i like the way your car looks. Your feeling bad right now, but once she
all back together, so will you. Keep it! Keep it!

P.S. I saw a BMW M6 convertable today in Tyson Corner (Nicesssss)
Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking ecliptics

First, I would cry my face off like a little girl.
After somewhat gaining my composure, I would walk around it again and cry some more

I think it all depends on how bad the damage is and if the car will ever be the same. If yes, then keep it. If you can live without the TL, go for another car. If you are emotionally attached like you implied, then stick with the TL if it gets fixed good.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Burning Brakes

B. get a Lexus IS350 or a bmw 335i
Old 08-08-2007, 11:02 PM
B16 Swapped TL

I would thank god I picked a good insurance company.

Then I would get the car fixed and move on with life.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Zoomie ABP

Cry, hope it was totaled and get a new Tundra.

If the damage isn't bad, I'd just keep driving it after it is fixed.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Ev an' Tec

Originally Posted by Johndoyle
You'll feel better when you have this chapter behind you. The critical path has to include fixing the car. I don't think you want it anymore, after what's happened, so fix it stock. Next, find something you like and get it. Life's too short to dwell on the bad things that happen to us, so close this chapter.

For the CTS-V and BMW advocates, remember that these cars are not as trouble-free as Acuras. If you know what you're getting into, enjoy. If you've only had Hondas and Toyotas, you're going to be in for a big disappointment when you see the boatload of trivial things that just fail for no good reason on these cars. I've had 10 BMWs and a Mini and that's what it took to cure me. Go to the boards on the cars you are considering and see what the other owners are saying about them. I love the CTS-V, just the idea of it. But I don't think they are very well made and they can wear you out.

If it were me, I think I'd fix the old car stock, drive it until the new TL and TSX come out and then get one of those. Depends on what you want in a car, but I really like the TSX. It doesn't have the brute force of the TL, but it has great handling, feel, steering and brakes. Plus it's made in Japan, and I believe there is a difference. Good luck with whatever you decide. Listen to your friends and your wife and walk away from this unpleasant memory.
Just try to keep things in perspective (not that it's possible on an enthusiast forum like AZ! ).

No matter how great a car is, and how many mods it has, eventually even if you keep it in mint condition in a vault it is going to get older and depreciate. We try to pretend we can have the perfect car, but on some level it's a losing battle against potholes, birds, rust, $%@ theives and carjackers, and the next-generation's new model of the car with more and better features. Not to mention the truck driving in front whose over-filled load of gravel sprays will spray onto your hood when he hits the first bump on the highway!

You might want to think of it more like a consumable, like food or cigarettes, that gives you something you like but doesn't have the kind of residual value in the thing itself. In other words, it's like a good meal -- you remember the good time but you don't save the bones on your plate to show people the next day. Eventually, especially years after you no longer have the car, it becomes something mythical that seems better than any real car could be.

On the other hand, maybe this whole bad experience gives you more of an excuse to look at upgrading to a 4G in 08 or 09. Or at least an 07 TL-S.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
If you are planning on leaving Acura because of how it was handled by the dealership, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

If it had been a Caddy or BMW dealership, they would have treated it the same way Acura did.

If you think this is annoying, wait until the head gasket is leaking on your Caddy or your BMW has random warning lights on for no reason.

You have to get it repaired before you can liquidate the car anyway. Get it fixed, drive it around for a while and see how you feel once the trauma of having your car violated has passed.

This could be your opportunity to turn your TL into an even more bad ass machine than it was before. You could have the Robocop of the Acura line.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:16 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,396 Likes on 4,075 Posts
One more thing to consider especially if you are considering selling or trading the car, which you'll do eventually anyway.

There is a thread here on AZ called "Diminished Value":
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/mesicans-full-effect-164431/

Post #7 would be a good place to begin reading, especially the links the poster provides. This is something you need to consider when dealing with your insurance co. and the SCUM BAG dealership.

Your car HAS lost value, no matter how you cut it. You should be compensated for that....NOW!

Good luck dude!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:22 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would get an RL
Old 08-09-2007, 03:22 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, you've been given the opportunity to be made whole and a little better. Spending additional energy and money do not guarantee a better short term outcome. It was a random act that you really can't protect your car, any car aganist.

I say fix it better and take the wife on a nice trip.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Rock Chalk JayhawkZ

I would fix it up and make it even sexier than before!!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Racer

depend on how big is your wallet. If its huge and you have cash to pay for any replacement, then knock yourself out, and there are plenty of nice cars, AMG, M-series, Lexus, Infinity. Forget about Acura if you have over $40k to spend.

If you are financing your purchase then keep what you can afford and shutup. Sounds like your car does not have a frame damage (otherwise it would've been totalled) so it actually can be put back nicely. TL is pretty damn nice car, and everyone on here is very fortunate to be having one. There is no real reason not to continue driving it and enjoying it...
Old 08-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
Dude, tide yourself over with whatever until the 4g comes out.
+1
Old 08-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
+1

+2

Quick Reply: If your TL was ruined.. What would you do?