3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If steering is off by a hair, could I just move it one spline over?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
If steering is off by a hair, could I just move it one spline over?

I've been to the dealership multiple times for an alignment, each time I brought it in they say it's in spec. Tires are fairly new and everything checks out. Now on the highways it's a hairline off to the right which is annoying, would it be possible to just take the steering wheel off and move it one spline over to the left? Trust me, I've tried to get this done the right way but "I'm in spec" thoughts?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
I've been to the dealership multiple times for an alignment, each time I brought it in they say it's in spec. Tires are fairly new and everything checks out. Now on the highways it's a hairline off to the right which is annoying, would it be possible to just take the steering wheel off and move it one spline over to the left? Trust me, I've tried to get this done the right way but "I'm in spec" thoughts?
They're being lazy. They should use a holder on the wheel itself to hold it perfectly straight while doing the alignment. They're just using the "in spec" as an excuse to not do it right. Put some pressure on the dealer to do it right or take it to a different shop.

Now if you're talking about a very slight pull to the right, that's a different story.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Racer

I brought it to the dealer twice, the thing is that this dealer is always busy making you wait for a long period of time. They said it was in spec and showed me the papers, I'm just pissed because I paid for this service and was given "warranty" obviously they are not doing anything about it making me having to resort to this, also I don't really want to spend more money on an alignment if tire wear is perfect, just that hair off on long drives can be annoying as your struggling to hold the steering wheel at a slight angle.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Team Owner

I brought it to the dealer twice, the thing is that this dealer is always busy making you wait for a long period of time. They said it was in spec and showed me the papers, I'm just pissed because I paid for this service and was given "warranty" obviously they are not doing anything about it making me having to resort to this, also I don't really want to spend more money on an alignment if tire wear is perfect, just that hair off on long drives can be annoying as your struggling to hold the steering wheel at a slight angle.
That's the thing, it's not "in spec" if the steering wheel is slightly off. I understand that most people only look at the spec sheet they're given but that's because it's assumed the steering wheel is straight. Making sure it's straight is right in the manual of any alignment book.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Once again, as per usual, IHC is correct.

There is an Acura procedure to check and adjust the steering wheel straightness. It's exactly for cases like this - alignment numbers are good, but the steering wheel is off center.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:24 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
call corporate
Old 09-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
^I would. Or customer care and complain. It's important to them.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
This is getting scary as we agree once again, this time about the dealership being lazy.
Although it can be done on some cars, don't ever change the wheel position as it will take it out of the R&P center position, or steering gear center.

Just for your info, to adjust the wheel properly back to the 12 o'clock position, they need to put it on the alignment rack and straighten the wheel by adjusting the tie rod ends, one side in a specific number of turns and the opposite side out the exact same number of turns. This can also be done without an alignment rack, but common sense would dictate the final setting be checked to ensure the toe is within the factory values.

You've paid for an alignment twice, and with no adjustments needed everybody came away happy, except for you. As it was a quick money maker for the dealership and Tech, it is now time for them to correct the situation, so go back and tell them you want the wheel straight. If it's been a while, they probably won't do it free gratis, but I would certainly push for consideration in the matter as you have receipts that it's been done twice before and neither time correctly.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:32 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
agreed; if the alignment if the wheel is straight (where you would like it to be) and it's pulling to a side. Something's off..I actually work at an Acura Dealership and they have a bar that holds the steering wheel in place while it pushes against the seat so it won't budge during adjustment.ask to speak to service manager;and if they also give you the run around say very politely "who's your general manager here?". I can almost assure you you'll leave with a straight steering wheel and a car wash.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Racer

The thing is that the person who is pushing me around is the service manager! Anywho I just don't have the time to drop it off and wait, they made me wait an hour and a half last time just to tell me their in spec. I was hoping to fix this myself on my free time if I could.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
You have been dealing with the SERVICE Manager. You need to contact the General Manager.

Call corporate. They love getting involved when customers are displeased. Honda/Acura really sticks to the done right the first time approach. And the district goes by how many cases were not done so which lowers their rating.
Call corporate.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

You can fix it on your own, screw in the right tie rod end a a couple of turns and screw out the left tie end the exact same amout, then check the wheel location. If adj. still needed do it again.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Ive done alignments and even with the steering wheel holder the alignment was off, that was mainly the alignment heads going out of wack. There's been many times where after a road test I would say "Shit the wheel is off center" by very little but it's not acceptable in my book so I do another alignment which the 2nd time fixes it. It's better to lose time on a job then to deal with an unhappy customer and a pissed off boss.. Take it back and let them know the wheel is off center and would like the alignment to be checked again.
The following users liked this post:
rhafikjaan (09-09-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbonut
You can fix it on your own, screw in the right tie rod end a a couple of turns and screw out the left tie end the exact same amout, then check the wheel location. If adj. still needed do it again.
Turbonut, if it's off to the right by a hair, do I remove both wheels and take the steering tie rod off the hub and move the left out or in? Kinda worried about doing this lol

I would love to take it back but I don't really have the time and it's my only transportation besides my bike since it's raining I can't take that. I might call corporate, the thing is that I haven't been back to them since I noticed it in like 2 months so I don't know if coporate will care because of that. I'm afraid to take it back just incase they dog the car or not torque the lug nuts like they did last time or just not giving a damn about my vehicle.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Kinda worried about doing this lol

I would love to take it back but I don't really have the time and it's my only transportation besides my bike since it's raining I can't take that. I might call corporate, the thing is that I haven't been back to them since I noticed it in like 2 months so I don't know if coporate will care because of that. I'm afraid to take it back just incase they dog the car or not torque the lug nuts like they did last time or just not giving a damn about my vehicle.
This is the problem, you'll be taking time to adjust the wheel, just unlock the steering wheel with the ignition switch, loosen the tie-rod lock nut, put a caulk mark on the threads for reference, turn the nut on the rack a few turns to shorten the right side and elongate the left side, but if not done correctly you'll be in for another alignment. You'll have spent time trying to adjust the wheel, and then you'll also be spending time and money for another alignment. Call the dealership and explain your situation that you can't live with the wheel off-center anymore, see what they can do for you and set up an appt. rather than taking it in and wasting time negotiating. If they won't do anything, take time out and go elsewhere. Just don't leave if it's not to your liking.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Turbonut
This is the problem, you'll be taking time to adjust the wheel, just unlock the steering wheel with the ignition switch, loosen the tie-rod lock nut, put a caulk mark on the threads for reference, turn the nut on the rack a few turns to shorten the right side and elongate the left side, but if not done correctly you'll be in for another alignment. You'll have spent time trying to adjust the wheel, and then you'll also be spending time and money for another alignment. Call the dealership and explain your situation that you can't live with the wheel off-center anymore, see what they can do for you and set up an appt. rather than taking it in and wasting time negotiating. If they won't do anything, take time out and go elsewhere. Just don't leave if it's not to your liking.
I fully agree with you. Sometimes people are intimidated by getting under the car and adjusting tie rods but moving the steering wheel one spline is not only the wrong way of doing things but it's more time consuming.

I still think he needs to demand they do it right and/or move higher up on the dealer food chain with his problem. Maybe he can bring in a copy of the manual with the part about centering the wheel highlighted. It's sad but maybe it's necessary.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Racer

Ok I finally brought it and dropped it off at the dealership at 9am and they had it for 4 hours. I haven't had a chance to drive it at highway speeds yet but I went for a ride with the tech and he said everything checks out and in spec on the alignment rack. Then he said he adjusted the tie rods a little bit just so I wouldn't have an issue. He even braked hard a few times to show that the car is not drifting away. I told him I'll drop him off and bring it back if it keeps doing it when I test drive later.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, i'm experiencing the same problem. I took it to the dealer already and they too have said the alignment was "in spec". Obviously they havent driven my car around town. It steers slightly to the right on center. It was such a pain to make the appointment to get it serviced too.. ugh
Old 09-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
I'm always sort of scared to have my car aligned because of stuff like this. Way too many times I take it in with the wheel nice and straight and get it back all jacked up, but "in spec" Trouble is most techs don't give a shit. If you know people who autocross, find out where they get alignments done. Typically they're used to doing non-stock specs *and* having picky customers that want the alignment perfect, not 'close enough'
Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
mine is off a little also has been since I bought it. I was gonna fix problem after new rims/tires but have time off for 2 weeks so gonna fix it.

I know a guy locally that is soo busy he lets me pull on alignment rack and sets out the tools for me to do it.

I used to reset and check alignment on my hatch every time I took it to the track to make sure I wasn't off.

It seems intimidating but really isn't that scary. But I am a firm believer if you are not confident in doing it then DON'T. Let someone that is and/or has the correct machinery to do the job correctly.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by geekybiker
I'm always sort of scared to have my car aligned because of stuff like this. Way too many times I take it in with the wheel nice and straight and get it back all jacked up, but "in spec" Trouble is most techs don't give a shit. If you know people who autocross, find out where they get alignments done. Typically they're used to doing non-stock specs *and* having picky customers that want the alignment perfect, not 'close enough'
Agreed. I take my car to a local shop that does all of the race cars in the entire county. There's a 2 month back log but you can drop the car off and pick it up in a day or two. It sounds pretty crazy but it's worth it. There's a night and day difference in a good alignment and an "in spec" alignment. The guy used to build chassis and suspension components from scratch. Now he does just alignments so doing a great alignment is easy for him.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I don't mean to jack the thread, but I have the same issue.

but when i'm in the first lane (banked toward left) I have to steer right by a hair.

then when I'm in right lane or anywhere banked toward right, I have to steer little to the left to make the car go straight..

Try in different lanes,, i guess.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 4drviper
I don't mean to jack the thread, but I have the same issue.

but when i'm in the first lane (banked toward left) I have to steer right by a hair.

then when I'm in right lane or anywhere banked toward right, I have to steer little to the left to make the car go straight..

Try in different lanes,, i guess.
Can't very well make any conclusions when testing is done on a crowned roadway. You'll need to find a flat strech and then see if any problems, drifting or steering wheel centering.