3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idiots trying to start a drag race with you

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
LOL, I was actually reading this thread on my phone in Barnes & Noble parking lot earlier. No sooner do I leave there and pull up to a light on the left of a B7 Audi A4. We're both in front and then we have to turn immediately left and go up a slight grade for about a quarter mile before merging onto the four lane. Well don't you know it, he ends up punching it after we make the turn, get straightened out and start up the hill. I just laugh and let him go. I could have hurt his feelings pretty badly, but it was raining and no sense in spinning and torque steering all over the place in order to do so. Not to mention I tend to look ahead in these situations and I knew his lane ended at the top of the grade and that he probably would have whipped out into merging traffic in order go flying by me after I would have slowed down.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
ILC- Good choice to let the kids go. I had a stock Mustang GT try to race me in my GN and since the road was clear I did a very quick pull up to 80mph, spinning the tires a little on purpose to give a good show. I hit the brakes at 80 to not only slow down but to show him the race was over. You can imagine how many bus lengths I was ahead but as I'm slowing back down to the speed limit this dude is coming up faster and faster and flies by me at full throttle, throws his hazards on, catches the traffic that's a quarter mile ahead, weaves in and out and ends up spinning out. Luckily he didn't hit anyone but I thought about it and realized if he had wrecked into someone, even though I shut it down a mile before, technically we were racing when it began and I could've gotten hit for street racing. After that I got a lot more picky who I raced on the street.
The following users liked this post:
i_love_cars (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I DD my TL-S all over Carmel and I never come across people who bug me to race. I don't understand how people can race on meridian south of Kessler, but I saw a 128i chase a WRX around me as we were heading downtown. That street doesn't forgive any errors, especially in rush hour traffic lol.
es466 (04-15-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had these swinging dicks do that to me in my TL and even my Accord V6 (2012) and each time the light turns green I just sit there with the brake on and let them go. Doesn't interest me in the least.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Series Motor's

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
It's called defensive driving, and I dont let any one mess with me in my 4 cylinder; let alone the TL, and mines is an S.

Just happened the other day with a 04-10 M5, he saw my 4 tail pipes and got irritated, he just pulled up next to me for 10 secs max which is what makes me assume, LOL; made him go into M mode =)

So I just dont see how anyone would let this happen... Love my 4 banger cause it doesn't guzzle gas no matter how hard you go; figure you could do the same with the base model =)

*I am in the worst driver, and congested, cities on this planet...

Plus, what is really funny, those guys flooring it for no apparent reason are the worst drivers EVER, they always do that shit and get assed out by other stupid drivers.... Waste of Gas and HP pretty much; sucks he paid for that much performance and gets none of it
Old 04-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Just happened the other day with a 04-10 M5, he saw my 4 tail pipes and got irritated, he just pulled up next to me for 10 secs max which is what makes me assume, LOL; made him go into M mode =)
lol ok....
Old 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
This is an interesting thread, I'm glad you created it...

My previous car was a Chevy Cavalier and I used to get people pull off from a light all the time. Even Ford 150s and big trucks would try to race me. I noticed now that I got my TL people seem to be scared to even pull up right next to me at a stop light. People must be pretty aware of what the TL is capable of even though they are pretty rare around here. I usually just cruise but sometimes if somebody is being annoying I'll have to floor it!

Off the top of my head the cars that have tried to race me in the 6 months I've had the car:

Ford Contour- This was probably the funniest one because it was winter and I just gunned it while doing about 40 and my traction light was flickering like crazy but I still made his car look like a brick.

Ford Probe- No Comment

Honda Fit "R/T"- I was in Indianapolis today and I'm not sure if he was trying to race but this Honda Fit with an R/T emblem on the back of the car (I don't why you would put R/T on a Fit, isn't R/T for Dodge?) and tinted windows kept slowing down and speeding up next to me. I just ignored him like a little fly.
es466 (04-15-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
ILC- Good choice to let the kids go. I had a stock Mustang GT try to race me in my GN and since the road was clear I did a very quick pull up to 80mph, spinning the tires a little on purpose to give a good show. I hit the brakes at 80 to not only slow down but to show him the race was over. You can imagine how many bus lengths I was ahead but as I'm slowing back down to the speed limit this dude is coming up faster and faster and flies by me at full throttle, throws his hazards on, catches the traffic that's a quarter mile ahead, weaves in and out and ends up spinning out. Luckily he didn't hit anyone but I thought about it and realized if he had wrecked into someone, even though I shut it down a mile before, technically we were racing when it began and I could've gotten hit for street racing. After that I got a lot more picky who I raced on the street.
was the stock Mustang white and driven by a gangled, googly-eyed little shit spouting off about how his 4.6 is "american muscle" and that your GNX "is like what 1.3 cylinders??!?" - please confirm and if so I will be ever so happy to know that he wiped out and hopefully there is one less crappy Mustang GT on the road.

I still don't know why people in regular street cars would try to mess with a Grand National, lol. My first encounter with that car was 13 years ago now when I first met the guys who run C&S Performance here in Milwaukee, Clint and Gino. This guy Gino had a Grand National with a turbo that was much bigger than my head, and was making some 900-odd horsepower. That car was a monster at the strip. A couple years after that I caught 2 (two!) at the same time going to race at the (unofficial) drag strip on-ramp around here. I followed them to watch the two cars take off and when they hit it, I couldn't see anything but smoke around my car for 30 seconds, lol.

It as at those pivotal moments that I learned to respect a GNX whenever I see one on the road, lol. Obviously those cars were all worked over quite a bit, but still at this point in the game you gotta assume if you see one on the street, it probably has SOME work done to it, and even if it doesn't, weren't those things good for like 13.7 or something? at least the 1987 IIRC. ok story time's over.

bottom line is - lol @ stupid kids who don't know a fast car when they see one.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexns05

My previous car was a Chevy Cavalier and I used to get people pull off from a light all the time. Even Ford 150s and big trucks would try to race me. I noticed now that I got my TL people seem to be scared to even pull up right next to me at a stop light. People must be pretty aware of what the TL is capable of even though they are pretty rare around here. I usually just cruise but sometimes if somebody is being annoying I'll have to floor it!

Off the top of my head the cars that have tried to race me in the 6 months I've had the car:

Ford Contour- This was probably the funniest one because it was winter and I just gunned it while doing about 40 and my traction light was flickering like crazy but I still made his car look like a brick.

Ford Probe- No Comment

Honda Fit "R/T"- I was in Indianapolis today and I'm not sure if he was trying to race but this Honda Fit with an R/T emblem on the back of the car (I don't why you would put R/T on a Fit, isn't R/T for Dodge?) and tinted windows kept slowing down and speeding up next to me. I just ignored him like a little fly.
ford probe? seriously? bhahahahahaha that was my first car. let me tell you that thing was one grade-A pile of shit. I blew a piston ring in it at like 90k miles (granted I flogged the hell out of it).

Man that brings back memories - I bought the j-spec version of the MX-6 motor for that thing (rated at 200 hp vs 164 in america) and swapped it in at my buddy's garage. I brought it back to life with a vengeance and beat the piss out of it some more and by 115k miles it was already blown up again, lololol.

oh man, Ford F'ing Probe. God that takes me back. I'll never forget that steamer.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
Whenever this happens I usually take the bait (foolishly). However, I try to never exceed past 20mph or so past the speed limit. The TL's not the most torquy thing around but with the MT, reduced weight and bolt on's, I can get to 60 pretty quick. Once I beat them to 50-70mph (depending on the speed limit), I shut it down. I've taken on a WRX, A6 Supercharged and 335i just recently. Won the WRX, barely edged the A6 to 60mph, but the 335i just edged me out to 60mph. However, I had a full car (5 adults) with that beamer. Extra weight FTL!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by i_love_cars
was the stock Mustang white and driven by a gangled, googly-eyed little shit spouting off about how his 4.6 is "american muscle" and that your GNX "is like what 1.3 cylinders??!?" - please confirm and if so I will be ever so happy to know that he wiped out and hopefully there is one less crappy Mustang GT on the road.

I still don't know why people in regular street cars would try to mess with a Grand National, lol. My first encounter with that car was 13 years ago now when I first met the guys who run C&S Performance here in Milwaukee, Clint and Gino. This guy Gino had a Grand National with a turbo that was much bigger than my head, and was making some 900-odd horsepower. That car was a monster at the strip. A couple years after that I caught 2 (two!) at the same time going to race at the (unofficial) drag strip on-ramp around here. I followed them to watch the two cars take off and when they hit it, I couldn't see anything but smoke around my car for 30 seconds, lol.

It as at those pivotal moments that I learned to respect a GNX whenever I see one on the road, lol. Obviously those cars were all worked over quite a bit, but still at this point in the game you gotta assume if you see one on the street, it probably has SOME work done to it, and even if it doesn't, weren't those things good for like 13.7 or something? at least the 1987 IIRC. ok story time's over.

bottom line is - lol @ stupid kids who don't know a fast car when they see one.
0-60 in 4.7 sec and 13.3 1/4 for the '87 GNX. 0-60 in 4.9 and 1/4 in 13.8 for the regular '86. This was in the 80s when the Vette ran high 15s and the twin turbo Calloway Vette ran 13.9. They're not super quick by today's standards, I hate to say it but a well driven 6mt TL-S would have a fighting chance from 80-120mph against the regular GN. For what it's worth I got one factory stock on factory sized regular tires to run a 13.3 and a completely factory stock Turbo Trans Am to go 12.7 (GNX engines left over from '87 with no home so they did a limited run of 1550 '89 Trans Am Indy pace cars). Still the fastest Trans Ams including the latest LS1 TAs.

I know this is boring but if you like sleepers and cars with little engines stirring up a shit storm you would not believe what I went through in the 90s. The V8 guys said it wasn't a muscle car because it didn't have a V8. I was a kid with a car no one understood and eventually they hated it. It was quiet and smooth and had a tiny engine but I was beating the trailer queens with a big supercharger on top of a 572 cubic inch big block that I had to wear ear plugs to stand next to it. After word spread about me and my fathers cars people would give us these dumbfounded yet curious looks. In the beginning people laughed when I said yes to a race with a nearly stock Camaro. Toward the end I remember approaching a guy up at Sonic about racing his 502 cube Camaro with a 250 shot of nitrous and he says he's heard about my car and there's no way.

It's fun today teaching the dumbasses a lesson with a V6 but the 90s were an amazing time. I lived for destroying rednecks in their nitrous V8s. One night I was following my father in his bottom 10 second GN which happens to be immaculate and still under 20,000 miles. Two guys pulled up to the light in an IROC mullet mobile and I saw one of the guys say something to him. On green they got destroyed as expected. I asked my dad what they said and they said it was "all show no go". I guess they were wrong. Funny thing is my father also hated V6s but when I got mine at the age of 17 in '94 and let him take it to work one day he bought one of his own 2 weeks later. I could write a book about everything that went down back then. All I have left is a video from '01 when it was nearly stock. I really wish I had taken videos and pictures back then.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Ford Probe- No Comment

That's a pretty stellar kill list you have there.
justnspace (04-16-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
Happens to me all the time, I drive normally and always get an idiot tailgating me etc as if they want to race. First chance they get they blow by me showing off. Hello? I'm 48 years old people! My racing days are over.

My 87' GN has a TE44 Turbo, ESP Intercooler, computer chip, 40 lb injectors, K&N filter, Shift kit (2800 or 3800 stall converter, been so long I forget) ATR Stainless exhaust. Probably more things, but I forget. There is one most important thing to remember when driving a Grand National: NO ABS & NO Traction Control lol

Last edited by Steven Bell; 04-15-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
es466 (04-15-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
i was just cruising home one night around 35 MPH at around midnight and some jackass comes flying up behind me and riding my ass (on a one lane in each direction road) then decides to pass me in a non pass zone (that is one of my pet peeves along with passing on the right when there is a clear left lane) so i floored it and took him up to around 70-80 then backed off cause we were coming up on a notorious cop hide out spot (was hoping there was gonna be a cop and he was gonna get busted) but there was no cop and so he proceeded to try to brake check me the next 2 miles then did a hand brake turn and stopped infront of me, FACING ME IN MY LANE. he pulled up next to me (his girl looked like she was flipping out) and i just took off to the police station to report his license plate number. when i told the cop what happened his jaw dropped about the hand brake turn part....

another time i was stopped at a red light and this guy in a Chevy SS truck thought i was trying to race him but i was just trying to get to the far left lane (he was in the middle) so it ended up in a make shift race so i had to beat him to get to the far left turn off lane i needed, was still fun beating his modded SS (somewhere around 35-380 hp i think in those trucks)
Old 04-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TVL65
My 87' GN has a TE44 Turbo, ESP Intercooler, computer chip, 40 lb injectors, K&N filter, Shift kit (2800 or 3800 stall converter, been so long I forget) ATR Stainless exhaust. Probably more things, but I forget. There is one most important thing to remember when driving a Grand National: NO ABS & NO Traction Control lol
Which is why I love it. You have a great street combo. My father went 11.2 with a TA49, the TE44's stock appearing cousin. With a similar combo mine used to hit boost so hard the car felt naturally aspirated. How much boost and what chip are you running.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
Instigating road rage is probably not the best course of action.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:32 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by es466
Hey all....

I'm a relatively new 3G TL owner and thought I'd throw this topic out there after something that happened to me this morning on the way to work.

I was at a stop light, first in line, and out of the corner of my eye saw a white car on my left. (I normally stay in the right lane as a rule --- this was a four lane undivided roadway).

Anyhow, the light changes and the person on my left guns his engine and within a few seconds is several hundred yards in front of me and proceeds to yank his/her vehicle into the right lane w/o signaling, as if to say f*ck you. Meanwhile, I'm just relaxedly accelerating and cruising down Meridian St. listening to satellite radio and in no hurry. What was going through my mind was -- whatever. I love my TL for its looks, reliability, Honda engineering, and comfort -- not for showing other motorists up.

BTW, the white car was a 2006-10 BMW 328.

Any of you have experiences like this, where it seems like other drivers view the fact that you're driving a TL as a challenge of some sort? Let's hear your experiences and feedback.
hehe happens to me all the time but i got a loud exhaust and some stickers on my car so i guess its expected. A 328 though? haha youll eat those alive all day, but the races i have gotten in are with fun loving people who are just looking for another car enthusiast, but as far as im concerned that has only happend with other guys that have modded cars. Usually if somebody is stock and they are trying ti pick something with me they are just a douche trying to show me up not appreciate what ive made.
es466 (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 01:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ultimatum127
hehe happens to me all the time but i got a loud exhaust and some stickers on my car so i guess its expected. A 328 though? haha youll eat those alive all day, but the races i have gotten in are with fun loving people who are just looking for another car enthusiast, but as far as im concerned that has only happend with other guys that have modded cars. Usually if somebody is stock and they are trying ti pick something with me they are just a douche trying to show me up not appreciate what ive made.
If it's a 2012+, that's hardly a given. And now that Burger Tuning has released the Juice Box for the 328, I'd be leery. A tuned 328 is considerably faster than a stock 335.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
I think one of my favorite saying of all time, "Any jackass can go in a straight line."

I have idiots pulling up next to me all the time, but I just wave them off. If I want to race, I'll go out on the track.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
I rarely ever have people try and race. As loud as the car is, I guess its somewhat intimidating haha. Im glad though, last thing I need is to be racing around and something happen like an accident or ticket.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by madrussian190
I think one of my favorite saying of all time, "Any jackass can go in a straight line."

I have idiots pulling up next to me all the time, but I just wave them off. If I want to race, I'll go out on the track.
And the jack asses that make that statement have never driven anything even remotely quick.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had that happen to me once in my old car (Black 01 Honda Accord Coupe). I forgot what the other 2 cars were, but I think they were racing before they pulled up next to me at a red light. (One car was an old Chrysler and the other was an Oldsmobile) Clearly 2 young drivers with hand me down cars from there parents.

Both cars reved there engines and (im not sure but) neutral dropped their cars on Green. Me being in a 2 door v6 accord (not a tuner car I know) decided i would join. We are at a red light entering a long 4 lane road with speed limit at 65. I gave my car WOT until about 60 and back up letting both of the cars pass me. (obviously I lost) but the best part was seeing both of the cars pulled over by 4 unmarked cars 2-3 miles down the road....hahaha
Old 04-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bbergero1181
i was just cruising home one night around 35 MPH at around midnight and some jackass comes flying up behind me and riding my ass (on a one lane in each direction road) then decides to pass me in a non pass zone (that is one of my pet peeves along with passing on the right when there is a clear left lane) so i floored it and took him up to around 70-80 then backed off cause we were coming up on a notorious cop hide out spot (was hoping there was gonna be a cop and he was gonna get busted) but there was no cop and so he proceeded to try to brake check me the next 2 miles then did a hand brake turn and stopped infront of me, FACING ME IN MY LANE. he pulled up next to me (his girl looked like she was flipping out) and i just took off to the police station to report his license plate number. when i told the cop what happened his jaw dropped about the hand brake turn part....

another time i was stopped at a red light and this guy in a Chevy SS truck thought i was trying to race him but i was just trying to get to the far left lane (he was in the middle) so it ended up in a make shift race so i had to beat him to get to the far left turn off lane i needed, was still fun beating his modded SS (somewhere around 35-380 hp i think in those trucks)
So you were driving too slow and somebody wanted to pass you. Instead of letting them safely pass you, you decided to put both of your lives in danger by driving 30 or 40 mph over the speed limit just to prove a point. Then when the guy gets around you and brake checks you you decide to run a squeal to the police?

And why did you go to the police station instead of calling them? Were you riding a horse?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Level: Noob

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LandCruzer94
I DD my TL-S all over Carmel and I never come across people who bug me to race. I don't understand how people can race on meridian south of Kessler, but I saw a 128i chase a WRX around me as we were heading downtown. That street doesn't forgive any errors, especially in rush hour traffic lol.
I saw a 135 try to race a Diablo on the freeway by my house once. I saw the Diablo for about 3 seconds, it looked like the BMW was standing still.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LandCruzer94
Yep, the intersection I mentioned in my story was none other than Meridian & Kessler. And you're right about rush hour traffic that stretch... there's no room for error!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I get hassled a bit in my 442, by various dipshits, when I'm just cruising around. I'll just sit at the light a bit longer and let them pull away. I normally have my kids in the back seat, because they love just driving around and seeing other cars. Plus, my 442 is a bone stock 350 car, at 8.5:1 CR and a 2.73 non posi rear. It's a great highway car, but not much of a jumper off the line...lol.

Man, I loved the Grand National/GNX. They are still a sinister looking car and I would love to have one. Obviously, the GNXs are getting a way bit out of the price range. I had my chance back in 1995, when a guy I worked with wanted to sell his 87 GN with 5500 miles on it. I think he let it go for $12,500. It was absolutely beautiful.

You have to remember about how craptastic the 80s were when it came to cars. The fact that these cars existed was nothing short of a miracle. The fact that they performed the way they did was even more of a miracle. Then...they were BUICKS! I did love the 89 Turbo T/As too. I still argue with people about them being the fastest T/As. People still have a hard time believing that the fastest T/A had a V6 under the hood!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
I don't like to stereotype but I haven't run across very many Mustang drivers that weren't complete douches. It seems like they're all like that. They throw an exhaust system on them and all of the sudden they have the fastest car ever. Lol. I had fun playing with them when I had my SS. Man, I'm ready to get another LS powered ride. Maybe after this next deployment.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
So you were driving too slow and somebody wanted to pass you. Instead of letting them safely pass you, you decided to put both of your lives in danger by driving 30 or 40 mph over the speed limit just to prove a point. Then when the guy gets around you and brake checks you you decide to run a squeal to the police?

And why did you go to the police station instead of calling them? Were you riding a horse?
you obviously missed the part where he stopped facing me nose to nose in my lane so i could not go anywhere. and i didnt call the police because as i stated i was stopped in the middle of the road blocked in, he then pulled up beside me making threats.

he took it to the next level and i thought he was going to follow me but i couldnt tell because by this time he was driving with his headlights off. this guy must have been on drugs. the police station was about 2 miles down the road thats why i drove, and to make sure i wasnt being followed.

Last edited by bbergero1181; 04-15-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bbergero1181
you obviously missed the part where he stopped facing me nose to nose in my lane so i could not go anywhere. and i didnt call the police because as i stated i was stopped in the middle of the road blocked in, he then pulled up beside me making threats.

he took it to the next level and i thought he was going to follow me but i couldnt tell because by this time he was driving with his headlights off. this guy must have been on drugs. the police station was about 2 miles down the road thats why i drove, and to make sure i wasnt being followed.
Damn, that's why you need to always carry a gun in the car. I've never worried about any crazy people following me home.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts
0-60 in 4.7 sec and 13.3 1/4 for the '87 GNX. 0-60 in 4.9 and 1/4 in 13.8 for the regular '86. This was in the 80s when the Vette ran high 15s and the twin turbo Calloway Vette ran 13.9. They're not super quick by today's standards, I hate to say it but a well driven 6mt TL-S would have a fighting chance from 80-120mph against the regular GN. For what it's worth I got one factory stock on factory sized regular tires to run a 13.3 and a completely factory stock Turbo Trans Am to go 12.7 (GNX engines left over from '87 with no home so they did a limited run of 1550 '89 Trans Am Indy pace cars). Still the fastest Trans Ams including the latest LS1 TAs.

I know this is boring but if you like sleepers and cars with little engines stirring up a shit storm you would not believe what I went through in the 90s. The V8 guys said it wasn't a muscle car because it didn't have a V8. I was a kid with a car no one understood and eventually they hated it. It was quiet and smooth and had a tiny engine but I was beating the trailer queens with a big supercharger on top of a 572 cubic inch big block that I had to wear ear plugs to stand next to it. After word spread about me and my fathers cars people would give us these dumbfounded yet curious looks. In the beginning people laughed when I said yes to a race with a nearly stock Camaro. Toward the end I remember approaching a guy up at Sonic about racing his 502 cube Camaro with a 250 shot of nitrous and he says he's heard about my car and there's no way.

It's fun today teaching the dumbasses a lesson with a V6 but the 90s were an amazing time. I lived for destroying rednecks in their nitrous V8s. One night I was following my father in his bottom 10 second GN which happens to be immaculate and still under 20,000 miles. Two guys pulled up to the light in an IROC mullet mobile and I saw one of the guys say something to him. On green they got destroyed as expected. I asked my dad what they said and they said it was "all show no go". I guess they were wrong. Funny thing is my father also hated V6s but when I got mine at the age of 17 in '94 and let him take it to work one day he bought one of his own 2 weeks later. I could write a book about everything that went down back then. All I have left is a video from '01 when it was nearly stock. I really wish I had taken videos and pictures back then.
Those buick V6 turbo's in the 80's were pretty dam fast cars. With some little work they can really fly. Two of my freinds
one with 87 gnx the other 87 mustang coupe heavly modded
I'm talking 351 stroke to a 408 blown vortec S trim 12psi with
NOS 100 shot made 667 RWHP 500 lbs torque. And still lost
not buy much, but still a.... V6 turbo.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by yoks032rs
but still a.... V6 turbo.
You speak of a V-6 Turbo, how about the GT-R modified by AMS, HP available all the way up to 1600HP and all applications can be used as a DD.
Here's some specs:
1/4 mile 8.97 @ 169.5mph
standing mile 232mph 22.779 sec
60-120 mph 3.31 sec

Back to topic. Over the years, many, many stories, and it seems that whenever we drive the RX7 Turbo, everyone wants to race, whether stopped at a light or driving on the highway.

A few years ago the wife and I, while driving her WDP TL on Rt 73 in Cherry Hill, some moron and his girlfriend in a A/T TLS pulls alongside and floors the car, coasts until he's back alongside, then floors it again. At the next light I'm on the outside lane, slightly ahead of him in heavy traffic. The light changes and we proceed forward, but not the nut, he waits until a gap develops, then floors the car, flies by me and slams on the brakes to stop as the next light approaches.

Just driving our kockaround car, but encountered another nut in a WDP TLS on 95 near Great Adventure. Back and forth between lanes and was so stupid that when he dove to the oustside lane couldn't judge the distance/gap of the car ahead and not only had to slam on the brakes, but actually drove slightly onto the shoulder to avoid a collision.

Too many nuts on the road.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Damn, that's why you need to always carry a gun in the car. I've never worried about any crazy people following me home.
Everyone I know here, Phoenix, AZ, drives with a pistol in their car. It's just good practice for situations like that...
Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
couple weeks ago this ~05 VW passat with like 4-5 college freshmens inside tried racing me.. As i was driving i could see them pulling up from behind pretty quick.. I got to a redlight and they switched lanes to be side by side. Light turns green and the punk kid punches it .. we get to decent corner and i overtook him from there and i slowed down after. I guess he got mad after that and started weaving in and out of traffic and holding up traffic with his hazards on waiting for me to catch up.. We caught up and he starts to go crazy again LOL. finally we got to another light and i pulled up next to him.. rolled down my windows and was like wassup?? and gave him a nod. He gave me a thumbs up and the ppl sitting in the back took pics of my car lmaoooo
Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by damaged442
I get hassled a bit in my 442, by various dipshits, when I'm just cruising around. I'll just sit at the light a bit longer and let them pull away. I normally have my kids in the back seat, because they love just driving around and seeing other cars. Plus, my 442 is a bone stock 350 car, at 8.5:1 CR and a 2.73 non posi rear. It's a great highway car, but not much of a jumper off the line...lol.

Man, I loved the Grand National/GNX. They are still a sinister looking car and I would love to have one. Obviously, the GNXs are getting a way bit out of the price range. I had my chance back in 1995, when a guy I worked with wanted to sell his 87 GN with 5500 miles on it. I think he let it go for $12,500. It was absolutely beautiful.

You have to remember about how craptastic the 80s were when it came to cars. The fact that these cars existed was nothing short of a miracle. The fact that they performed the way they did was even more of a miracle. Then...they were BUICKS! I did love the 89 Turbo T/As too. I still argue with people about them being the fastest T/As. People still have a hard time believing that the fastest T/A had a V6 under the hood!
That LS1 vs TTA debate has been going on for years. I can probably find the videos but I took a friend's TTA that she bought absolutely bone stock down to the paper filter and stock boost level. I drove it lined up against a WS6 and a 6 speed Camaro SS. Every single time the TTA won. Not by a lot but even once when I spun I was able to run them down. It's just one car, in one city but in that particular scenario the TTA came out on top every time. I think the Camaro actually had exhaust too. The turbo cars were known for running drastically different times, the ECU had no boost input so it did not know what boost level they were running. I believe varying boost levels were the reasons some GNs ran 14.2s and some ran 13.4 bone stock. Same thing with the TTA except they were programmed to spike 19psi and back off to 16-17psi and I've seen stock ones spike past 20psi with absolutely no mods.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Instructor

so glad this thread was created, can vent dumb stories now
Had some lady in a newer black ML mercedes cut me off about 25 feet in front of me while i was going 40, she had a pink peace sign on here car so i thought she mightve been with children until she tried to break check me. Ended up getting in front of her when she turned onto a road that changed to two lane. I stuck my head out the window and watched her reaction after i gunned it in front of her and slowed down once i was. She backed off promptly, probably not the safest thing in the world though
es466 (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 AM

Received 16,264 Likes on 11,973 Posts
oh the irony of this thread.

OP rants about idiot drivers; thread is full of idiot drivers.
The following 5 users liked this post by justnspace:
anx1300c (04-16-2013), es466 (04-16-2013), ggesq (04-16-2013), THEReeM718 (04-16-2013), tomlinsonj (04-22-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
People are idiots out there for sure, case in point is they will also try to go up against me on my 08' Suzuki B'king which is 1340 cc's (Hyabusa engine) fuel injected, liquid cooled, and I installed a K&N filter, Ivan's Timing eliminator & Two Bros Carbon Fiber exhaust. Stock the bike has 184 Hp at the crank, 162 RWHP. I'm estimating the bike has about 170 RWHP with the mods I have. I've embarrassed many cars, vettes, porsche's etc but I no longer do it anymore, I'm tool old to clown around & I have nothing to prove. I guess as you get older in life you just don't care about certain things anymore.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Instructor

most people that drive modified cars can be found driving in an aggressive manor much of the time, who doesn't want to show what they made with their own hands. It doesn't necessarily mean they are bad drivers, though they may be. In the area i live, there are lots of arrogant people who drive in the middle of the road, cut you off and ignore stop sign and signals. They think the road is theirs and probably don't really care honestly, after a while it can get under your skin a bit. I try to avoid aggressive driving situations as much as possible, but occasionally will want to show an individual that they cannot drive however they please even though thats the cops job. my apologies, but felt like sayin that.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
I pwn type-s' all day every day here on the streets of Columbus...
Old 04-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
How come no one ever tries to line up against my TL??! I end up having to go to canyon roads or autocrosses for my thrills.

Quick Reply: Idiots trying to start a drag race with you