I really want a TL but I can't afford one

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009 | 12:07 PM
usc
Racer

Um.. yeah. You're 22. It's alright not to be able to afford a TL now. Don't get caught up in superficial crap. That's when people get themselves in deep financial $hit-hole and pay for it for years to come.

I drove my previous car for 14 years (1993-2007). I watched my friends/peers buy new cars over that period of time, as I accrue my $200K in student loan debt. I watched my staff buy new cars over that period of time, as I add on mortgage payment on top of my student loan payment. (And of course on the side, I see kids from 18-25 driving around in TL's, Benz AMG's, BMW M3's, etc...)

And I just take a step back and am thankful I am at a point where I am fortunate and financially stable enough to have a roof over my head, keep food on the table. Cuz when it all comes down, this is just a car. In 5 years, you'll want something else because there will be something newer, better.

So don't get bummed out if you miss out on the 3G TL. Other good crap will come along. In the meantime, get your act together, finish up your education, get a good job and get financially stabilized.

Don't worry about others who have parents that buy them their expensive toys. Life's not fair, that's just how it goes. Your day will come when you can proudly purchase your expensive toys without digging yourself into a financial $hit hole.
Old 07-16-2009 | 12:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Or find a rich uncle to loan you money to buy one
like me lol. I was lucky for a understanding uncle but if he didn't I woudlnt have a car at all while being a medical student (harder and longer than a ee IMO) thankfully this is my first car and I love it!!!
Pretentious much?
Old 07-16-2009 | 01:21 PM
Leather so soft.

with the right state of mind you can afford ur tl.

i am also a EE major graduated fall 07 i bought my car in oct 07.
beforehand had two 94 tegs.

you just gotta know wat you want and work for it.....i had 3 jobs: 2 on campus and one off campus. and i finished college and lived in the dorms and part of a frat..anddd had a girlfriend at the time (and some on the side na mean). wah wah.

if you are a hard worker and dont let laziness get in the way, you can do anything...cuz yo. MY PRESIDENT IS BLACK MY TL IS BLUE.
Old 07-16-2009 | 01:26 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

^ true.. I could only find the time to work 15 hrs /wk while surviving to keep the gpa up, but my aforementioned classmate was doing the same thing as you (also from the bx - must be a ny hustle thing).. you know that ABP is the new black..
Old 07-16-2009 | 01:36 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Lol majofo you know ut medical school is hard
to get into for my undergrad classes I have to take calculus and algebra based physics, organic chemistry (hardest class ever) and 4 hour labAnd others classes even though I may or may not need it but it's going to be hard especially to work at one of the best cancer hospital , UT MD Anderson

fml, at least 7 years of school left
Old 07-16-2009 | 01:40 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

to get into for my undergrad classes I have to take calculus and algebra based physics, organic chemistry (hardest class ever) and 4 hour labAnd others classes even though I may or may not need it but it's going to be hard especially to work at the beat cancer hospital in the world, UT MD Anderson

O-chem is an ass kicker.. You definitely have to be on your game to get into those doors. Let me know if you need me to look after your TL during your arduous studies..
Hit me up with some academic PM's if need be. No O-Chem Q's will be responded to.. lol.

as for how many years you have left... no worries.. your going to get older anyways.. might as well do something worthwhile as you get older. Keep up the good work & grades!

Last edited by Majofo; 07-16-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2009 | 01:54 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Its not easy being in med school and trying to do the car thing.. trust me I know. USMLE Step 1 in a week!
Old 07-16-2009 | 02:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

to get into for my undergrad classes I have to take calculus and algebra based physics, organic chemistry (hardest class ever) and 4 hour labAnd others classes even though I may or may not need it but it's going to be hard especially to work at one of the best cancer hospital , UT MD Anderson

haha, you think Orgo is hard. Wait til you hit up Anatomy. Anatomy is going to drown you in tooons of reading. Med school FTL

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Its not easy being in med school and trying to do the car thing.. trust me I know. USMLE Step 1 in a week!
GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-16-2009 | 03:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sergei
Haha... chicks don't dig guys like me with no money.

A hot 21 yr old babe is far more likely to choose a 40 yr old guy with a nice car and tons of money to spend on her, over a broke guy her own age who can't buy her anything. Girls only care about money, at least until they are older and begin to lose their beauty then they are ready to settle and have a family.
It seems that what you need is not a TL nor money to buy one; but self-confidence. That's something that no one can hand it to you but only for yourself to obtain. A broke student without confidence about himself is obviously not getting any girls let along hot ones. But then again, that's just a stage a lot of us had to go through.