Sponsored by:

I officially hate my tint shop!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
I officially hate my tint shop!!!

Here is the story.

I got my TL and had read about the tint scratch problems. So when I went to the tint shop I asked them about applying felt, but they said it should be fine and they only had one case were a TL had that problem. So I said fine, since they have lifetime warranty anyways. Sure enough about two weeks later I saw a multitude of vertical scratches.

I take the TL back to the shop and show them the problem. At first he wanted to make me pay but I told him there was no way, especially when I brought the problem up before the tint was applied the first time. Since I didnt have time to drop it off that day, and they did not have any moleskin, I said I would bring it back and I would do them the favor of bringing in my own.

Everything was agreed, and I went back about a week later on a weekend. I run on a very busy shedule and I'm busy M-F. I take the TL in with the moleskin strips I ordered. I drop it off and he said it would take about 2 hours. Fine, I needed to go to Fry's anyways, and had my friend pick me up.

Before I left, I asked him, do you want me to show you how to put it on? Since its a bit different because there are 2 blades and I dont want it to streak. He said no its fine, he's done it before. I wasn't too certain, but my friend was waiting so I just left it at that. I come back, pick it up and ask him if everything when on fine. He said yes, but the strips were too short, so he wasn't able to cover the entire stretch of each blade, and was only able to do the majority of the middle portion. He said it was the only portion that was necessary anyways.

This is were the shit starts to hit the fan. Recently, I ordered some sound deadning to get rid of the certain vibrations in the door and trunk. I removed the door panels because I needed to apply the deadning to the back of the panel and the door itself. What I find is that he did not only NOT apply the moleskin to ANY of the windows, but he CUT off the wipers. He didnt cut the entire wiper off, but he cut off the 2 parts that move up and down, where the moleskin attaches to.

I haven't had time to go back there yet, but I've been doing business with them for a very, very long time, and never had any problems. I did business with them starting 6 years ago, and throughout the years even sent 10 rsx's in at one time.

I just couldn't believe why the hell he would do that. At first he lied to me about putting it on, even making up a story that it was long enough. Im sure acurakid at the forum knows how much a TL needs, with him owning one. Second, not only did he not use it, he CUT off something off my car without my consent, and didnt even tell me about it!!

Like I said, I'm on a very shedule weekly, like most of us, so I really do not want to waste my day going back and fourth. I'm ALREADY seeing small scratches and its only been 3 days.

I've been thinking of going down and giving them 3 options.
One, scream at them, and demand them to replace my tint, buy new wipers, pay for the moleskin they did not use, and install it using moleskin, or even letting me install it.

Two, scream at them, tell them to pay for the moleskin, pay for the new wipers, give me a FULL refund back for the tint.

Three, if they don't want to do any of it, call better business bureau and report them.

I want to know if there is anything I can do, incase they dont want to comply. Legally, or any other options that come to mind. I really did like them, friends never complained, but when it comes to my own car...something HAS to go wrong.

I dont know much about any legal solutions, like contacting a lawyer or police officer. What would you guys do?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:24 PM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow...that really sucks! I would go with all three options in this order, 2 - 1 - 3. First give them a chance to rectify the situation, if they dont agree then see if they will let you partially help, if they still say no, then tell them you already hired a lawyer and are willing to prosecute to the fullest extent possible for essentially fraud!

Good luck man, I hope this works out for you.

PS: Did they replace the tint that was scratched when you took it in?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
wow...that really sucks! I would go with all three options in this order, 2 - 1 - 3. First give them a chance to rectify the situation, if they dont agree then see if they will let you partially help, if they still say no, then tell them you already hired a lawyer and are willing to prosecute to the fullest extent possible for essentially fraud!

Good luck man, I hope this works out for you.

PS: Did they replace the tint that was scratched when you took it in?
Yes, they did replace the 3 windows that had scratches. What legal cause could I get them for?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
1. Find a new tint shop.
2. Suck up the cost and buy wipers.

I've dealt with this - only remedy is to find someone that can do it properly.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aznbo187
Yes, they did replace the 3 windows that had scratches. What legal cause could I get them for?
You have grounds for vandalism and fraud. I would talk to a lawyer.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:29 PM
6MT & LSD

Man, that's terrible...

But, why do you wanna scream at them so much? What would that do besides get them worked up and make the situation worse?

I'd confront them about it, and see what they say. You know what you want - the tint and the felt installed with the weather seals in original condition. If they can't meet that or compensate you somehow, then you have to take actions accordingly.

Small claims court should take care of it - take pics of the weather seals on other TL's, and yours, collect all documents.... unless the weather seals/labor costs more than $500 (I think that's the max $$ limit in small claims)

I don't see why you want them to refund your money for the tint AND pay for new weather seals. If you demand that, I'm sure he'd straight up deny it. Stay reasonable.

Good luck. Hope it works out.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
I would go with option 2 then 3. I'm getting mine done tomorrow & now you have me worried , as I was told they would apply moleskin also. If you don't mind me asking, would you give up their name or general area they are located?
Old 02-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ndx2
Man, that's terrible...

But, why do you wanna scream at them so much? What would that do besides get them worked up and make the situation worse?

I'd confront them about it, and see what they say. You know what you want - the tint and the felt installed with the weather seals in original condition. If they can't meet that or compensate you somehow, then you have to take actions accordingly.

Small claims court should take care of it - take pics of the weather seals on other TL's, and yours, collect all documents.... unless the weather seals/labor costs more than $500 (I think that's the max $$ limit in small claims)

I don't see why you want them to refund your money for the tint AND pay for new weather seals. If you demand that, I'm sure he'd straight up deny it. Stay reasonable.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

I'm not actually going to scream at them, but they will be able to tell that I'm frustrated.

I was a bit unclear about refunding the money. If they don't go with option A, which is replace the tint, buy new seals, and pay for the moleskin, then I would just have them pay for the moleskin, strip the tint, and bring it back to stock, AND refund the money since they can't get the job done, properly.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
I would go with option 2 then 3. I'm getting mine done tomorrow & now you have me worried , as I was told they would apply moleskin also. If you don't mind me asking, would you give up their name or general area they are located?
Just review the threads on how to install the moleskin, and look at the pictures. When you get it installed, tell them exactly how you want it done, and watch them install it.

I do have the courtesy of not releasing the name, or shop location, YET, because I want to give them a chance to redeem themselves.

I really would not have made this into such a big deal, but the employee, or owner, had the guts to lie to me. He even put up an effort to create a story, a whole world around the moleskin and how there wasnt enough to install it so he only put it in the center of the wipers.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lindros2
1. Find a new tint shop.
2. Suck up the cost and buy wipers.

I've dealt with this - only remedy is to find someone that can do it properly.
Only that the new tinted windows that were redone for a second time, are STILL scratched. Not only that, why would I need to pay for wipers? I never told him to cut it, I was never even informed. He had my cellphone number, and even was provided material (moleskin) to apply on the wipers.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:23 AM
AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn thats sad news...what shop is this? my tint guy threw in the felt for free...hes a really cool guy...if u need tints in nyc i can reccomend him
Old 02-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Here is the story.

I got my TL and had read about the tint scratch problems. So when I went to the tint shop I asked them about applying felt, but they said it should be fine and they only had one case were a TL had that problem. So I said fine, since they have lifetime warranty anyways. Sure enough about two weeks later I saw a multitude of vertical scratches.

I take the TL back to the shop and show them the problem. At first he wanted to make me pay but I told him there was no way, especially when I brought the problem up before the tint was applied the first time. Since I didnt have time to drop it off that day, and they did not have any moleskin, I said I would bring it back and I would do them the favor of bringing in my own.

Everything was agreed, and I went back about a week later on a weekend. I run on a very busy shedule and I'm busy M-F. I take the TL in with the moleskin strips I ordered. I drop it off and he said it would take about 2 hours. Fine, I needed to go to Fry's anyways, and had my friend pick me up.

Before I left, I asked him, do you want me to show you how to put it on? Since its a bit different because there are 2 blades and I dont want it to streak. He said no its fine, he's done it before. I wasn't too certain, but my friend was waiting so I just left it at that. I come back, pick it up and ask him if everything when on fine. He said yes, but the strips were too short, so he wasn't able to cover the entire stretch of each blade, and was only able to do the majority of the middle portion. He said it was the only portion that was necessary anyways.

This is were the shit starts to hit the fan. Recently, I ordered some sound deadning to get rid of the certain vibrations in the door and trunk. I removed the door panels because I needed to apply the deadning to the back of the panel and the door itself. What I find is that he did not only NOT apply the moleskin to ANY of the windows, but he CUT off the wipers. He didnt cut the entire wiper off, but he cut off the 2 parts that move up and down, where the moleskin attaches to.

I haven't had time to go back there yet, but I've been doing business with them for a very, very long time, and never had any problems. I did business with them starting 6 years ago, and throughout the years even sent 10 rsx's in at one time.

I just couldn't believe why the hell he would do that. At first he lied to me about putting it on, even making up a story that it was long enough. Im sure acurakid at the forum knows how much a TL needs, with him owning one. Second, not only did he not use it, he CUT off something off my car without my consent, and didnt even tell me about it!!

Like I said, I'm on a very shedule weekly, like most of us, so I really do not want to waste my day going back and fourth. I'm ALREADY seeing small scratches and its only been 3 days.

I've been thinking of going down and giving them 3 options.
One, scream at them, and demand them to replace my tint, buy new wipers, pay for the moleskin they did not use, and install it using moleskin, or even letting me install it.

Two, scream at them, tell them to pay for the moleskin, pay for the new wipers, give me a FULL refund back for the tint.

Three, if they don't want to do any of it, call better business bureau and report them.

I want to know if there is anything I can do, incase they dont want to comply. Legally, or any other options that come to mind. I really did like them, friends never complained, but when it comes to my own car...something HAS to go wrong.

I dont know much about any legal solutions, like contacting a lawyer or police officer. What would you guys do?
Sorry to hear about your problems.

It's been my experience that people want their money, even when they commit fraud.

So,

If you paid by a credit card call the card company and dispute the charge. They will hold payment to the tinters and you will not be liable for the bill until the dispute is resolved.

If you paid by check you may still be able to cancel payment. Check with your bank now, don't wait.

Just a couple of options not previously mentioned.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Personally, I'd insist on new wipers and the replacement of any scratched tint. Then, I would install the moleskin myself.

Oh yeah, and tell everyone you know to NEVER, under ANY circumstances, use that tint shop. Might even post the name here so other members don't go there.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Why does everyone always say they are going to talk to a lawyer. First of all unless you have a lawyer in the family... they are not cheap, and doubt you're going to find a good lawyer who is going to waste his time on your tint.

Everyone always says they are going to sue, but lawyers are free (last time I checked). The worst thing you can do is file a complaint with the BBB, but you can't just file a complaint. The BBB is going to want to see you tried to work it out, and you need to have something you want them to do for you (and it has to be reasonable). Get them to give you you're money back, and take you business elsewhere (and spread the word about them too).
Old 02-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Sorry to hear about your tint issue . As pointed out, lawyers are expensive and the tinter will know this so even if you tell him you're going to get a lawyer he'll prol'y do nothing and take it as a hollow threat. If you're willing to spend the $$$ then go for it as this situation is definately actionable. Personally, I'd tell them you are going to tell EVERYONE you know what happended to you and how you went out of your way to make sure all was well and you still got screwed over. Then, I'd find another tinter who is reputable and never let that butchershop touch my TL again. Ever, Period.

Hope ya get it tinted up nice with no scratches. Kinda scares me as I'm picking my TL up at the dealer Saturday and taking it to the tinter I've used for 15+ years on Monday.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Safety Car

The reason why I mentioned lawyers was because I didn't know better. I never really dealt with any legal issues which is why I thought a lawyer was a possible solution, but you're right with an issue this small I don't think all this time and money is worth it. I just need something as a "threat" to use just in case they rebut all my requests.

As far as paying by check, I paid with cash which leaves me at that.

At this point, I still haven't made time to go down to the shop yet and don't know what their actions are so I don't want to spread too much news about them, yet. But if you are located in So.Cal near the valley (818 area code) pm me and I'll let you know what shop it is.

I think all I want right now is to have them give me the money back, for the tint and wiper, plus the moleskin, and remove the tint. I believe this is a feasible solution both for me and the shop. I just dont have the patience and time anymore to go back and fourth. What do you guys think about this solution? Reasonable?
Old 02-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Safety Car

The reason why I mentioned lawyers was because I didn't know better. I never really dealt with any legal issues which is why I thought a lawyer was a possible solution, but you're right with an issue this small I don't think all this time and money is worth it. I just need something as a "threat" to use just in case they rebut all my requests.

As far as paying by check, I paid with cash which leaves me at that.

At this point, I still haven't made time to go down to the shop yet and don't know what their actions are so I don't want to spread too much news about them, yet. But if you are located in So.Cal near the valley (818 area code) pm me and I'll let you know what shop it is.

I think all I want right now is to have them give me the money back, for the tint and wiper, plus the moleskin, and remove the tint. I believe this is a feasible solution both for me and the shop. I just dont have the patience and time anymore to go back and fourth. What do you guys think about this solution? Reasonable?
I think it is. Then you will be right back where you started( looking for a tint shop) after being ripped offf and seriously inconvenienced.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
I think it is. Then you will be right back where you started( looking for a tint shop) after being ripped offf and seriously inconvenienced.

Well now I'm in a similar situation.
Windows started scratching around 3 weeks ago I went back to the shop to find that they had gone out of business. Now I have to find someone to redo them. The tinter said he used moleskin, but I'm tempted to remove a door panel and see. I guess it wouldn't matter anyway since he's long gone now. :rippedoff
Old 07-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Racer

I would not even have them remove the tint even if they give your money back and reimburse you for all the damage. Since they know you will probably not be back, they will probably just pull the tint off your back window and not do it the right way which can peel bits of the defroster off the window and leave you with a non working defroster which then you will need to replace your back window.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
aznbo187: So what tint shop did this to you?

I've got my TL tinted w/o any moleskin. I haven't had any scratches on my windows so far. Can someone take a picture of their scratched tint?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Safety Car

This was in the valley...canoga park.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:23 PM
3G TL

i feel ya. i know the "felt" that was applied to my tint wasnt done properly as the road noise as increased 2 fold. And the tint came out F-BOMB green for some reason and i ordered med charcoal.
Next car i tint, i'm not taking it to some shop i've known for x amount of yrs..doing that shi myself
Old 07-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Safety Car

I bet they probably just took out the wiper as a whole, which is why the increased noise. I totally agree with taking it to a shop because I've known it for so many years.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:21 PM
3G TL

u still selling your suspension setup?