Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I now have a valet car damage story

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I now have a valet car damage story

Have I told you how much I hate valet services?

Was out at an event tonight, no choice but to valet park. BIG mistake. They took an inordinately long time to bring my car back when I requested it, it took three requests while others were getting their cars quickly. When I finally got my car back, there was a deep scratch and dent on my rear bumper and A-Spec rear lip, all the way down to the plastic.

When I pointed this out, the valet immediately got the manager involved and he, to his credit, admitted the screwup and immediatly filled out paperwork for a claim, and they are supposed to get back to me in within a few days. I will have to take time this week to get an estimate for the damage.

Have I told you how much I hate valet services? Fsckers.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your incident. Though the damage is not that bad, no one wants to have their beloved car damaged. Thank goodness that you checked your car before driving off. Otherwise, it would be almost impossible to nail the valet service.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,147 Likes on 774 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Have I told you how much I hate valet services?
Oww...sorry to hear about your experience!

Same feelings here... I hate places w/no choice but to valet park!

It's worse with a stickshift, where I had valets kill my Integra in front of me. I've had valets take my TL twice since April 2005 ONLY because I couldn't find non-valet parking.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Instructor

nice of him to wait for you to point it out...rather than show you the damage voluntarily. they suck.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kenny5
Thank goodness that you checked your car before driving off. Otherwise, it would be almost impossible to nail the valet service.
This is key. I always inspect the car before and after the valets have touched it, and you all should too.

The damage will likely be easily repaired, but I want their insurance to cover my costs. Everything has been handled in a civil manner so far.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:57 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
This is key. I always inspect the car before and after the valets have touched it, and you all should too.

The damage will likely be easily repaired, but I want their insurance to cover my costs. Everything has been handled in a civil manner so far.

Thats what I should have done...I lost my exhaust tip that way (kind of my fault since I didnt feel like welding it all the way on quite yet). I usually only park places where I know the valet guys but Old Town Sacramento isnt exactly user friendly on weekends. Glad that you caught the damage though sucks you have to deal with it.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:38 AM
Advanced

wow that sucks.

But Good thing for you, you have the right approach(looking the car over before and then after you get the car back)

Good luck getting her fixed!
Old 08-27-2006, 02:51 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. At least you caught it and they will pay.

When we went to Las Vegas last December I refused to valet park my car. My wife stopped speaking to me for a minute as soon as we got to town. She did get over it fairly quickly.

Of course on the way home a kicked up rock broke my windshield. Only way to keep it like new is to garage it and drive something else.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of and see your damage, Bob.

Gentlemen;

There are several ways to keep this from ever happening.

Firstly. NEVER allow a valet to park your car. This simply means, never take it someplace where this may happen. I have only had "valet parking" once in my life and it was my first car when I was 18 years old (the car was brand new - yes purchased by me and not my parents). I swore it would never happen again and it had not, and that was quite a long time ago. Will Y mentions valeys and manual transmissions. Every car but one I've owned has been a manual as was my first car.

Secondly. NEVER allow a valet to park your car. (sounds just like the first item). See if they'll just take their tip from you, but let you do the parking. Or find another lot close by. Or do what I do in item #3 here.

Thirdly. NEVER allow a valet to park your car. Rent a through away car. If you know in advance you'll be going somewhere where the parking is questionable or is valet or is in a place where crime is a problem, don't take your TL or whatever your pride and joy car might be. Rent something. In June 2005, we were to attend a wedding of the older son of my oldest cousin. The reception was to be in Old Towne Alexandria.. not the best place to be since it is Alexandria and it is too close to that garbage dump called DC. A week before, I drove down there to see where the place was and to check out the parking situation. Then I arranged to rent a car the morning of the wedding. I got a 2005 VW Pissant, err Pissat with only 1500 miles on it. Incidently, the Pissant is nowhere the car the TL is. Handling sucks, the A/C left a lot to be desired, and the sound system was crap. Anyway with a rental I no longer needed to worry about parking or someone stealing my keys or some maggot damaging or stealing the car. IT WASN'T MINE!

I even deliberately drive something else when we are going out to lunch someplace at work that has parking concerns for me. We had a going-away luncheon for a co-worker just this past Thursday at a place where I know that parking has been tight in the past. I drove my Ranger pickup to work deliberately that day just so I wouldn't be expected to drive my TL with a carload of people. I have used the TL before to go out to lunch at work with people but it was to a place where the parking was great and the car was safe from damage (door dings, etc.).

So one more time. NEVER allow a valet to park your car. There are ways around it. I've managed to avoid this horror for over 40 years.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know a guy who shoots a few pics with his cell phone when he drops it off with the valet. I thought he was being paranoid...until he got a door ding. They denied it happened with them. He punched up the photos. End of argument.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CobraGuy
I know a guy who shoots a few pics with his cell phone when he drops it off with the valet. I thought he was being paranoid...until he got a door ding. They denied it happened with them. He punched up the photos. End of argument.
I never thought of using the cell phone cam to get pics of the car before leaving it with a valet. But it looks Iike I wll have to so as to protect myself and the car.

If you live or work in a big city and you want to park the car in "mid-town," the only way is leave it with the garage attendant. I don't think they allow you to drive the TL in their garage. They also move cars back and forth because mid-town garages usually have a high volume flow. Sigh!!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kenny5
I never thought of using the cell phone cam to get pics of the car before leaving it with a valet. But it looks Iike I wll have to so as to protect myself and the car.

If you live or work in a big city and you want to park the car in "mid-town," the only way is leave it with the garage attendant. I don't think they allow you to drive the TL in their garage. They also move cars back and forth because mid-town garages usually have a high volume flow. Sigh!!
Yeah, I've heard that about moving your car around several times as the need arises.

This is a good reason to leave New York city.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:15 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by CobraGuy

A buddy of mine is a valet and shoots picrures of the cars (most of them) that he moves with his camera so someone wont try to pass of an already existing dent as one the valets caused. I think its a great idea on both fronts.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by paradigm
nice of him to wait for you to point it out...rather than show you the damage voluntarily. they suck.
PSHHH Good thing he/she didnt say that the damage on the car was there before he parked the car. He could have said that and how would the car owner prove it wasnt there. Atleast the dood admited that he did it.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
NEVER allow a valet to park your car. There are ways around it. I've managed to avoid this horror for over 40 years.
Believe me, there are situations where there is not a choice. Most of the time I simply choose not to attend functions where there is not alternate parking. This one I had no choice, I'm a board member of the organization that hosted the event and I hadda go.

I count myself VERY lucky indeed that the supervisor didn't give me a rough time by claiming that the damage was already there.

I wish I had thought of taking pix with my cellphone or 6MP camera before valet parking, even so.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Racer

The valet parking situation depends on where you live. I think it's mostly a "big city" thing. People that live more in the sticks don't have to worry about it. Even though I've never been to a valet parking place... I'd go out of my way to avoid it. Of course, I also think PAYING for parking in a big city is something to avoid. Do-it-yourself free parking (and the places that have only that) has some advantages. But those places also tend to not have Acura dealers. Hmmm.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by Hybrid
The valet parking situation depends on where you live. I think it's mostly a "big city" thing.
Here in Los Angeles (especially the tonier West side, including Century City, Marina del Rey and Santa Monica), valet parking is the only parking in a number of restaurants and office buildings. Certain areas do have self-parking garages or lots not too far away from restaurants (Santa Monica), but lots of restaurants in Marina del Rey and Westwood don't.
SouthernBoy has a good idea about seeing if the valets will let you park your own car- that works in most restaurant lots, so I've been lucky in that respect.
The problem is in the office buildings which are valet only-- they won't let you drive the car in their area. Usually the entire surrounding area is unfriendly to self-parking as well-- overcrowded/insufficient street parking and surrounding buildings also have only valet parking. The valets will take your car and disappear with it up or down a ramp, around a bunch of corners, etc. I hate leaving any car with valets, even rented cars, where the valet drives off and out of view.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:37 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I was a valet for a number of years in college, fun job, accidents do happen though, had a few myself. Once in a van I wasn't used to driving backed into something, etc. Even admitted to the problem, but the company's insurance tried to screw over the customers and not pay the claim, make it very difficult for them to collect on the claim. Sucks, usually you're fine with valets actually believe it or not, we were all extra careful not to ding anything or what not but since you're not 100% familiar with each car like the owner would be it's easier to back into something like happened to neuronbob.

Here in Chicago you don't have a choice in a lot of the city, it's either valet it or don't park there, period. We get stuck between which Acura do we take when we hit the city sometimes!

One tip... if you give the valet a $10 or a $20...and ask them to park you "up front"...you'll get a prime parking spot right up by the front door where they take extra care of you and your nice ride, often times we'd let the owner park there themselves if we could too (if the place accomodates such a thing). It's not necessarily the nicer rides that get the up front spots like you might think, it's the people that tip extra well! So...moral of the story..take good care of your valets and they will take extra good care of you and your car!
Old 08-28-2006, 02:48 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bob, sorry to hear about the valet, good luck with the whole thing! (PS - three years soon! Looking forward to your write up)

Originally Posted by gqchicago
.........One tip... if you give the valet a $10 or a $20...and ask them to park you "up front"...you'll get a prime parking spot right up by the front door where they take extra care of you and your nice ride, often times we'd let the owner park there themselves if we could too (if the place accomodates such a thing). It's not necessarily the nicer rides that get the up front spots like you might think, it's the people that tip extra well! So...moral of the story..take good care of your valets and they will take extra good care of you and your car!
gqchicago, I have been tipping $10 to $20 when I drop off my car for years, especialy in the NYC garages (even one today), and they always park it up front and when they see me comming, they are running to fetch the car. Makes a big difference when they don't park the car in the bowels of the building (read lower levels).

One time my boss and I drove seperately into a meeting in NYC and I tipped up front and he didn't, he said why did you do that, it is a waste, I said no, just wait when we get back and see where my car is, and where yours is. Sure enough, we get our cars, mine is right there on the first level, and you could hear his tires squealing as they drove it up a few levels, after that he always tipped up front.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by need4spd
Bob, sorry to hear about the valet, good luck with the whole thing! (PS - three years soon! Looking forward to your write up)

gqchicago, I have been tipping $10 to $20 when I drop off my car for years, especialy in the NYC garages (even one today), and they always park it up front and when they see me comming, they are running to fetch the car. Makes a big difference when they don't park the car in the bowels of the building (read lower levels).

One time my boss and I drove seperately into a meeting in NYC and I tipped up front and he didn't, he said why did you do that, it is a waste, I said no, just wait when we get back and see where my car is, and where yours is. Sure enough, we get our cars, mine is right there on the first level, and you could hear his tires squealing as they drove it up a few levels, after that he always tipped up front.
Should one tip again after? I am guessing so?
Old 08-28-2006, 05:56 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
First, to Neuronbob, sorry to hear of your story- I had a similar event happen in Philadelphia with my 00TL- I had no choice but to valet park- they had dinged the paint in my bumper, but it was only a 2mm spot, so I didn't pursue it. At least you didn't lose it (sometimes you want to but can't) as I know some people might. When I got my 06TL, I had to valet park twice in the first week of ownership. I told the valets that it was new, and I REALLY didn't want to see anything happen to the car. My wife thought I was being paranoid and even got mad when I thried to find a spot w/o the valet (it was a hospital formal event at a hotel, and there were no spaces available). I did tip them prior to them parking the car, but feel this this is extortion (even though the valets aren't demanding $$$ from the owner). There is also no guarantee that your car will be intact despite paying the tip. I disagree with the former valet- they should all baby what they are driving, tip or not. The tip is if the job is done right and should not be an expectation, but a bonus if given (don't want to get into a big dissertation about tipping though).

Bottom Line: No one will ever drive your car or take care of it like the owner. I like the digicam idea though- no arguments can be made when you show them the evidence.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear about this latest incident, Bob. You've kinda had a run of bad luck lately. I hope everything gets worked out to your satisfaction.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Instructor

Bottom Line: No one will ever drive your car or take care of it like the owner. I like the digicam idea though- no arguments can be made when you show them the evidence.

It's just too bad we have to go to these lengthes to protect our pride and joys.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:14 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kikaida
Should one tip again after? I am guessing so?
Depends, if it is the same lot lizzard, then no, if a different one, I give a buck or two so their hand is not in my face.

Also, $20 may be too much $$ in some areas (high rent areas like NY, LA, Chicago, etc. call for the higher tip, just a fact of life living in those areas). $10 in NYC works fine if the lot or valet is not busy, but $20 is needed when things are close to capacity

Bob - BTW, the car now matches the condition of your tags/plates - j/k
Old 08-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

My building has Valet, I'm one of the few that can park his own car, cuz of what they did to my BMW before I got the TL. They suck, always walk around the car with the guy before he parks it. if they don't fix it let me know I'll go after them for ya
Old 08-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Pro

In NYC, most valets ask how long you are going to park there. If you say you'd be back in an hour, they will likely park your car upfront, otherwise you car will be in the back at the bowel of a mult-level basement. So, I usually say I will be back soon even though it may take me a few hours or longer.

When I first got my car many years ago, I did not know about the above trick. One day, I could not find parking in the upper east side (upscale neighborhood) where I worked, and I had to valet park. At 9 am, I told the valet that I would pick up the car at 5 pm. BIG MISTAKE!!! After I picked up the car at 5 pm and drove for a few blocks, my car started to hesitate even though it was a new car (no more than 6 months old). When I took the car to the dealership for warranty service, I was told that my new carb. had been exchanged with an old and defective one.

So, parkers be aware. Valet emptor!!
Old 08-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

You people in New York gotta start killing these maggots who are messing with your cars. Take enough of 'em out and you'll cull the herd.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:29 PM
'02 NBP TL-S

hey man that really sux about what the valet did to your car. i live outside of cleveland and i was curious where you were parking when you had problems???
Old 09-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Update

Originally Posted by Frazman
hey man that really sux about what the valet did to your car. i live outside of cleveland and i was curious where you were parking when you had problems???
Can't say the name as I'm considering legal action, but it is a large hotel in the Cleveland area.

I got a letter today from the valet company's insurer. They basically told me to fuck off.

"Please be advised that a review of this incident indicates that XXXXXX Parking is not at fault. the damage you are claiming was noticed and existed prior to the vehicle being parked. Based on this informatin, we can only advise that the claim be denied.

We regret the incident, and wish to assure you of our cooperation whenever possible."

The claims adjuster sent her email in the letter, and I emailed a picture of my car from an hour before the event (verifiable time stamp in the EXIF part of the file )I had to park at. Boo-yah! If they still say "no", I'm going to lawyer up.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:11 PM
One on the right for me

That was expected. Their job is to say "no" for as long as they can. Thats great that you have the picture, fucking idiots probably didnt expect that. Best of luck with everything. Hope it works out for you.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Pro

Bob, I hope the insurer is not Allstate. From what I heard, despite their ad which says that "you are in good hands with Allstate", they give you the finger when you submit a claim.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Racer

Allstate are bast*rds. A lady with Allstate insurance rear ended my wife on the freeway and they played games right from the beginning. They even tried to make my wife take the lowest level rental car saying "our policyholder's limits only allow $20 a day for car rental". Well dips*it, my wife is not an allstate customer so we are not bound by YOUR clients policy limits when it comes to rentals which in CA you get an 'equivalent' vehicle to the one damaged. When I told the allstate adjuster that, she said a ford focus was equivalent to my wifes brand new Prelude SH (this was back in '97). I told her that if she does not stop playing games, the next contact will be from my lawyer. She still played games so we sued and won three times what we were expecting the payout would have been if they just played nice.

Google allstate horror stories and you will see that they are BAD... even to their own policy holders.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
Here in Los Angeles (especially the tonier West side, including Century City, Marina del Rey and Santa Monica), valet parking is the only parking in a number of restaurants and office buildings. Certain areas do have self-parking garages or lots not too far away from restaurants (Santa Monica), but lots of restaurants in Marina del Rey and Westwood don't.
Maybe you don't look hard enough I've been known to park 5 blocks away...

I've never had problems finding close self-park in Century City and Westwood tho. Where did you eat? (Just curious)
Old 09-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gqchicago
One tip... if you give the valet a $10 or a $20...and ask them to park you "up front"...you'll get a prime parking spot right up by the front door where they take extra care of you and your nice ride, often times we'd let the owner park there themselves if we could too (if the place accomodates such a thing). It's not necessarily the nicer rides that get the up front spots like you might think, it's the people that tip extra well! So...moral of the story..take good care of your valets and they will take extra good care of you and your car!
Didn't Ferris tip the valet a $20 in the Chicago structure when dropping off the car?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:17 AM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Can't say the name as I'm considering legal action, but it is a large hotel in the Cleveland area.

I got a letter today from the valet company's insurer. They basically told me to fuck off.

"Please be advised that a review of this incident indicates that XXXXXX Parking is not at fault. the damage you are claiming was noticed and existed prior to the vehicle being parked. Based on this informatin, we can only advise that the claim be denied.

We regret the incident, and wish to assure you of our cooperation whenever possible."

The claims adjuster sent her email in the letter, and I emailed a picture of my car from an hour before the event (verifiable time stamp in the EXIF part of the file )I had to park at. Boo-yah! If they still say "no", I'm going to lawyer up.
Man, that really sucks and I'm sure there's a valet parking spot waiting for those people in Hell.

It's great that you have that picture, but EXIF data is easily modified and they could (theoretically) claim that is the case with your photo.

Perhaps in the future, the best course of action is to ask the valet to pose for a photo with your undamaged car before he drives it away.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bluenoise
Perhaps in the future, the best course of action is to ask the valet to pose for a photo with your undamaged car before he drives it away.
That's why I would use a video camera Video cam a walk around of your car, then of you handing the valet the keys
Old 09-07-2006, 04:15 AM
Senior Moderator

No, their insurer is not Allstate.

My insurer IS Allstate and in the 16 years I've used them, I've never had an issue with an automobile claim other than when my wife was given a "chargeable accident" fee when she spun out on an icy day three years ago and damaged her Accord lightly. It took a quick call reminding them that I have a business, homeowners, and dual automobile policy with them to correct their judgement.

So if they claim that the EXIF data is altered, I'm SOL? Bummer.....my estimate to get this fixed is $600+. While I can afford the cost, it's the principle of the thing. They caused it and their insurer basically accused me of lying. I slept on it and am wondering if it's worth paying $100's or more to a lawyer for a $600 repair.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:09 AM
One on the right for me

^-If, in the end, the repair isnt going to be a huge loss might as well fight it as long as you can yourself for the sole purpose of pissing them off and wasting their time. You can always file in small claims court. Also try to see if they will entertain any settlement offers. Might not be fair looking at the situation, but splitting the bill is better than paying the entire thing.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:38 AM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

So if they claim that the EXIF data is altered, I'm SOL? Bummer.....my estimate to get this fixed is $600+. While I can afford the cost, it's the principle of the thing. They caused it and their insurer basically accused me of lying. I slept on it and am wondering if it's worth paying $100's or more to a lawyer for a $600 repair.
That assumes they are technically savvy enough to know that EXIF data can be altered. The insurance drone that you'd likely be dealing with may not know that and the simple threat that you have a photo that proves they are at fault may trigger a settlement. Their initial refusal may just be SOP for them and they usually get lucky that the claimant (sp?) gives up at that point. Once pushed, though, they may just settle as it's the cheapest and easiest solution for them.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Registered but harmless

Avoid the lawyer... sue the garage in small claims.

While I can afford the cost, it's the principle of the thing. They caused it and their insurer basically accused me of lying. I slept on it and am wondering if it's worth paying $100's or more to a lawyer for a $600 repair.
First, let the insurer know that you will be suing its customer. The insurer will have to assign a lawyer to defend its customer per the insurance policy defense clause if the insurer can't settle the case.

In California, we have a small claims court system where claims under $7500 can be litigated. Lawyers are not permitted to represent clients unless they are regular employees of the client, so parties in a California small claims action usually don't have lawyers. If Ohio operates the same way with small claims (justice court??), the garage will have to send one of its employees to represent it, and the insurer-assigned lawyer will not be able to help in the courtroom.

It will cost the insurer more than $600 just to have its lawyer look at and prep the defense of even a small claims case, based on my experience in helping insured and banking clients who were sued in small claims on several occasions (for the maximum limit, though). I'm a litigation/trial lawyer and have worked on insurer-assigned defense of clients.

You can also pick up the small claims action filing forms, fill them out and fax them to the insurer along with the cell phone photo saying "Deal with me know or deal with your defense lawyer and the insured's executives later." Give insurer a time limit- 10 days or so. You might also tell the adjuster about this thread, your participation in Acurazine and ask "See my contemporaneous web posts- why would I be mistaken about my car's condition, given my clear obsessive-compulsive behavior regarding the car??" [You may not think you're a wacko about your car, but everyone else posting knows different, and we would also be put in the OCD-wacko category. ]
The deal with the insurer should be that your repairs are paid for along with a comparable rental car for the duration your car is in the shop (likely at least a week).

Second, don't spend much more time jacking with the insurer. If insurer doesn't respond by the time limit or wants more than a couple weeks to get "more information" about anything, just file the small claims lawsuit, have it served and don't back down.

Hope everything works out without much more effort.

Quick Reply: I now have a valet car damage story