Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I may need to give up my baby.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may need to give up my baby.

I am seriously considering trading my 04 TL for a lesser car.... I may have jump the gun on purchasing this outstanding car. The reason for this is purely financial reasons of which I'm not going to bore you all. Some of you may suggest to suck it up, get a better job, or find a second job. However, my situation is very complicated and those options are currently not feasible...

I am looking at a brand new car $20k or less... Any suggestions? The only car that I can think of that comes close to the TL's feature is the new Mazda 3... My TL does not have a Navi, but a well equipped Mazda 3 with Navi is around $21k, plus it has xenon, 6 disc, homelink, etc...

I really do not want to give up the car, but there are times that I may have no other choice...
Old 03-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Instructor

I feel bad for you but may God help you with whatever you buy. May I suggest a used 2001 CL type S. You can get it from the dealer and it'll be around your price range.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by kinggeorge
I feel bad for you but may God help you with whatever you buy. May I suggest a used 2001 CL type S. You can get it from the dealer and it'll be around your price range.
Thanks, I'll look into it... God bless you too!
Old 03-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

That's what I was going to suggest. Go get a 2002 Type S (TL or CL, but TL is much more practical) at the dealership. You can get a great deal, and it will be less than some lower quality Mazda-zoom-zoom-zoom crap.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by acuraddict
That's what I was going to suggest. Go get a 2002 Type S (TL or CL, but TL is much more practical) at the dealership. You can get a great deal, and it will be less than some lower quality Mazda-zoom-zoom-zoom crap.
... I'm not going to argue with you on that one. The only reason I am looking at a Mazda is because of gas mileage.... I drive 120 miles a day and my wallet is getting thin, especially with the gas prices so hight these days...
Old 03-25-2004, 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: I may need to give up my baby.

Originally posted by ulangca
Some of you may suggest to suck it up, get a better job, or find a second job.
Work two jobs to keep a car that you can't afford? Makes more sense to keep your life and simply get a car you can comfortably pay for based on what you make. Reminds me of the posts around income tax refund time that say "how do I blow my refund on some unnecessary mod". Here's an idea - put the money in the bank and create some savings toward the purchase of something that appreciates, like a house. Thank god you didn't lease or you'd really be screwed.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:18 PM
What's a TL?

While not on the same status/quality level of the Acura, I actually think the Mazda 3 is a cool alternative. I really like the hatchback version. Good luck, and keep us posted
Old 03-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Safety Car

Mazda's aren't that reliable, a friend of mine had a 626 and it was one of the crappiest cars i ever rode in. i dunno if their new 6 or 3 is any better but i would stay away from them. i do like the new styling of the cars but am scared away because of their reputation. Have you ever heard anyone who said they loved their mazda??? I feel bad that financial problems have forced you to sell the TL. but before you do decide, understand that since you already used the TL the value dropped significantly. If you have the non-nav i assume brand new is 30-31K. they will probably give you 27-28K trade in for it(maybe a little more). since the mazda is 21K, you'll have extra 6-7K in your pocket. is this extra cash enough to force you to give up the TL? i can understand if you need to sell it and regain some of the costs. but to trade it in for a lesser brand new car would not net a huge difference in my opinion. i apologize if i seem jaded by the fact that $6-7K is not a make or break dollar figure. I am not filthy rich but from a pure financial standpoint i would not think it was worth it.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Pro

i think the mazda is a good alternative....try it out and let us now. I also work as a Real Estate APpraiser and sometimes i drive really far. Was looking into getting a used accord, but when i saw the mazda 3s they looked pretty good for the money. Theyeven have the NAV option. Good luck and hope somehow you will still be able to keep your TL....
Old 03-25-2004, 04:23 PM
Banned

I'd say get a new Jetta or Golf. 4 year bumper to bumper warranty. With the bullet-proof 2.0 it'll be well under $20 with good options.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by caball88
but before you do decide, understand that since you already used the TL the value dropped significantly. If you have the non-nav i assume brand new is 30-31K. they will probably give you 27-28K trade in for it(maybe a little more). since the mazda is 21K, you'll have extra 6-7K in your pocket. is this extra cash enough to force you to give up the TL? i can understand if you need to sell it and regain some of the costs. but to trade it in for a lesser brand new car would not net a huge difference in my opinion. i apologize if i seem jaded by the fact that $6-7K is not a make or break dollar figure. I am not filthy rich but from a pure financial standpoint i would not think it was worth it.
..... I am well aware of the financial implications if I go through this.... I am still exploring this. I am hoping that the next couple of months my financial situation will change
Old 03-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Instructor

You are short on cash and drive that much everyday, I would suggest something even less expensive, like a used Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla? Or even hybrid car like the Prius. When you have extra cash, then buy something you really like.

Good luck to you.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Instructor

i also would suggest a hybrid... my last car was a vr6 jetta biggest piece of shit car i have ever had whatever car you get look at the vin# that tells you were the car was made my jetta was made in mexico.. the tdi and passat are german made I know...but thats my own horror story...another suggestion move back in with your parents that should save you enough to afford your tl.....hah hah just kidding... i feel for you I hope you get a decent car no matter what the make...ps also ask your boss for a friggin raise 120miles aday, shit i get pissed off at 40miles aday..anyway goodluck
Old 03-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Instructor

I really like the new Mazda line. You might also consider Mazda 6i. It is closer to TL in size if this is an issue for you, but the 6 does not have navi or xenon lights, which I will never understand why a car in a lower class (the 3) has better options than the 6 - the flagship of Mazda.

Are you going to trade in the TL?
Old 03-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When money is tight you also want to consider reliability.

I dunno how the Mazda 3 is for reliability, but you may want to consider a preowned Toyota Camry SE or something. Toyota's are known for reliability, you should be able to get a pretty near new Camry SE for about $21K and I think they're even a bit bigger (interior volumewise) than the TL. It's not as fast, but it's sensible, reliable, sporty transportation. The SE I think has slightly stiffer springs, some gfx, different headlights, sportier interior than the regular Camrys and is available with a great V6.

On Carsdirect a BRAND NEW Camry SE with V6 starts under $21K (with no options, just the typical PW, PDL, A/C, Autom, etc) so you should be able to get a heavily optioned very low mileage Camry SE for that. Navi and leather are both available but I don't think Xenon is.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:45 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear that. If you are driving that far everyday why do not you get a Civic Hybrid or Prius. I know the power will be too less but you'll save a lot in gas and this will fit your $21k range I guess.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Sorry to disagree, but you've got to keep the TL. There is no excuse for letting go of something so good. Suck it up and get a 3rd job. You'll thank me later. BJ
Old 03-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by boltjames
Sorry to disagree, but you've got to keep the TL. There is no excuse for letting go of something so good. Suck it up and get a 3rd job. You'll thank me later. BJ
I agree with what was said before, why work for a car???

If he can get along with only his current job and a less expensive car, what's wrong with that? Taking on a second job to pay for an expensive car is truely worthless.

And with all the travelling he does everyday, a second job would take up just about all of the rest of his time it seems.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Pro

Originally posted by caball88
Mazda's aren't that reliable, a friend of mine had a 626 and it was one of the crappiest cars i ever rode in. i dunno if their new 6 or 3 is any better but i would stay away from them. i do like the new styling of the cars but am scared away because of their reputation. Have you ever heard anyone who said they loved their mazda??? I feel bad that financial problems have forced you to sell the TL. but before you do decide, understand that since you already used the TL the value dropped significantly. If you have the non-nav i assume brand new is 30-31K. they will probably give you 27-28K trade in for it(maybe a little more). since the mazda is 21K, you'll have extra 6-7K in your pocket. is this extra cash enough to force you to give up the TL? i can understand if you need to sell it and regain some of the costs. but to trade it in for a lesser brand new car would not net a huge difference in my opinion. i apologize if i seem jaded by the fact that $6-7K is not a make or break dollar figure. I am not filthy rich but from a pure financial standpoint i would not think it was worth it.
My uncle had a 1989 626 5MT hatchback that never had a single problem. Other than normal maintenance and gas, he never had to put a dime in the thing. It has 250,000 miles on it when he got a new car. Mazdas are reliable IMO, just not the RX series (or so I've heard)
Old 03-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

He needs something to motivate him to earn more, not an excuse to earn less.

Some simple math:

(Acura TL + 3 Jobs) + (Resume Enhancement - Effort) / (1 - Gasoline Costs) = Fuck*ng Hot Girlfriend

Can't argue with that now can ya?
Old 03-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Racer

Re: I may need to give up my baby.

I am seriously considering trading my 04 TL for a lesser car.... I may have jump the gun on purchasing this outstanding car. The reason for this is purely financial reasons of which I'm not going to bore you all. Some of you may suggest to suck it up, get a better job, or find a second job. However, my situation is very complicated and those options are currently not feasible...

I am looking at a brand new car $20k or less... Any suggestions? The only car that I can think of that comes close to the TL's feature is the new Mazda 3... My TL does not have a Navi, but a well equipped Mazda 3 with Navi is around $21k, plus it has xenon, 6 disc, homelink, etc...

I really do not want to give up the car, but there are times that I may have no other choice...
Keep in mind that you'll probably end up losing money if you get rid of the TL so soon. If you want to sell it privately, I can't see people knocking your door down for a used 2004, particularly when the deals on new ones seem to be getting better and better. If you trade it in, you know the dealer will hose you.

If you still must get rid of it, I'd agree Mazda is probably the best bet for your price range.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:07 PM
Lurker

He needs something to motivate him to earn more, not an excuse to earn less.

Some simple math:

(Acura TL + 3 Jobs) + (Resume Enhancement - Effort) / (1 - Gasoline Costs) = Fuck*ng Hot Girlfriend

Can't argue with that now can ya?
I can...this is advanced life sucks.

F*cking Hot Girlfriend screws UPS guy while you work 3 jobs to pay for TL = Life sucks
Old 03-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Thanks all for your responses.... I'll consider each one of them, which I think are all valid....

I am not looking at doing this right away.... I am trying to consider all options. I made a mistake on buying the TL without planning. I don't want to make another swift decision that I may regret later on.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:15 PM
10th Gear

You've spoiled yourself with the TL.

I don't have a TL yet - still convincing myself that I can and should buy one; but if I were in your position, I'd be looking for the best Lexus I could find for ~$20K especially since I'd be driving 120 miles a day - that's a lot of daily miles and a lot of time in the car. Go with reliability and comfort!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

I'm sure a few will flame me but my recommendation is a used Nissan Maxima SE. Anything from 1998 up is a good choice. I think they are sporty, have an awesome engine and are reliable. The 2002 and 2003 also have about as much power and handling ability as te TL. I definetly would take a used Maxima over a used TL or CL, but that is just me.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:17 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Keep the TL and sell your sister to one of those Asian spas found in large metropolitan areas. After six months, the car will be paid off and she'll be more mature and worldly- if you can find her.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Lurker

Originally posted by TheNip73
I'm sure a few will flame me but my recommendation is a used Nissan Maxima SE. Anything from 1998 up is a good choice. I think they are sporty, have an awesome engine and are reliable. The 2002 and 2003 also have about as much power and handling ability as te TL. I definetly would take a used Maxima over a used TL or CL, but that is just me.

Certainly no shame in a Maxima. They're great cars.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:19 PM
User Registered

What's a job? You're not independently wealthy like me? Oh.

j/k

ulangca - Something else to consider about a car in addition to reliability... retained value. A vehicle that retains value is always a good investment.

My suggestion? 96 - Present Honda Civic. Maybe not seem as cool or flashy, but neither is trying to pay for things with pocket lint.

Best wishes!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Lurker

Thanks all for your responses.... I'll consider each one of them, which I think are all valid....

I am not looking at doing this right away.... I am trying to consider all options. I made a mistake on buying the TL without planning. I don't want to make another swift decision that I may regret later on.
No chance of refinancing? Maybe if you didn't get a great rate (like just took what the dealer offered) when you first bought that you can shop around and save money that way.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:15 PM
10th Gear

I GO WITH NIP HERE

look at used 2002-2003 maxima or honda accord w/ v6. also 2002 sabb turbo
Old 03-25-2004, 10:16 PM
Pro

Originally posted by TheNip73

The Maxima is a nice car, but I don't think the handling is close to the TL. Still a great choice though.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Drifting

Buy a bucket, like an old Civic or something for a year catch up financially and get the 05" TL.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:45 AM
Racer

I'd look at a used Maxima. No, it isn't as nice as a TL, but

It is around the same size
It is somewhat sporty
They don't seem to hold their value very well, so a nice used one
can be had for 15-20K
I can vouch for how reliable they are . . . I have 147K on mine!
Old 03-26-2004, 07:47 AM
Instructor

Keep the TL and sell your sister to one of those Asian spas found in large metropolitan areas. After six months, the car will be paid off and she'll be more mature and worldly- if you can find her.
- I would if I have a sister.... Can you lend me yours?.... Wait. That may not be a good idea. If you lend me your sister, then I owe you as well, that's another extra expenses I have to worry about....
Old 03-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

ulangca- I see you live in So Cali, so certainly you can entrap some illegal Mexicans into a slavery-for-hire arrangement that will enable you to keep your TL. Be creative. The car is way worth it.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Racer

Ulangca,

The cost of living there is a killer - I recently priced some home for possible company job transfer and was shocked at the prices (1200 sq ft for $500K+). I also know that some LA folks are moving out to smaller towns in the vicinity and cashing out of their expensive homes. I don't know if you are a home owner so I maybe speaking out of turn here. The car is just a transportation and nothing more at this stage in you life. What you need is a reliable transportation that won't dictate your life style. By your progression, you'll find your self in a nice ride some day (near future probably), but sounds like you're making the logical sense at this time - not too many can or will. Good luck and hope that you will get a reliable transportation that will suit your needs.

boltjames, just shut the hell up and go away. Are you as stupid as you make your self sound? At least you're an equal opportunist and offend everyone.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:07 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

You are going to take a hit selling the "almost new" TL of several thousand dollars. As long as you realize this, then I would recommned you "step back" to an old Accord. maybe a 2002 from someone in a similar position. That way you have a very similar car with good gas mileage and the hit from the early turn in can be offset by the acquisition of the other "earlier" turn in car (at an agressive price assumed)
Old 03-26-2004, 10:19 AM
jmo
Intermediate

With all the driving you do why dont you get a Prius? Great gas mileage and great for the enviroment as well.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by jmo
With all the driving you do why dont you get a Prius? Great gas mileage and great for the enviroment as well.
- I'll take a look at it....
Old 03-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Safety Car

or a civic hybrid, it gets better mpg than the prius, plus i think the prius is butt ugly(sorry to anyone who has one).

Quick Reply: I may need to give up my baby.