3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just gave my TL Type S back to dealer after only 30 days of ownership!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by tiffyglows
I know this thread is a little old but I came across it during my search for all that is wrong in the third generation TL’s MT, specifically 3rd gear grinding and sticking. I want to make sure I have all of my homework done before I arrive at the dealerships (both Honda and Acura will be seeing me) tomorrow morning. Especially since Acura has had my car since yesterday and they say they have not been able to duplicate the 3rd gear problems I’ve been having, subtly implying user error. Up until now I was sure that I wanted them to fix everything according to the TSB, and I have been working on what I need to do to get to that point. But now after reading some of these stories it seems like by doing so I’d be playing Russian roulette with my transmission. I really don’t know if I could go through with it. I only got my car a few months ago, and like the OP...car of my dreams, a 2008 Acura TL Type S 6MT black on black. We're still in the honeymoon phase and I'm not sure when I'll ever come across another one exactly the same so I think I’ll just take my chances and try the GM synchromesh for now. Unless there is another way? It would be tragic to have the work done and get my car back worse off from when I left it, especially if it was an issue like not being able to reverse. Ironically, my 98 integra had problems getting to reverse at the end of her years with me so when I just got my TLS I thought it would all be smooth sailing and smooth shifting, but then BAM 3rd gear grinds, screeches, sticks, and hisses at me...all of it mainly on the road where plenty of other people are around to witness. Speaking of, on one particular day I was having another disagreement with 3rd gear and could not get it in to save my life. I was going about 35mph as I kept trying to make 3rd gear happen and when I gave it one final good shove in it slipped right in to 1st. Gaaah! That was the only time I’ve ever wanted to crawl out of my own moving vehicle and let it run me over. Sorry to rant but I have been talking to Honda and acura about this for a little while now with very little feedback. Anyway, please let me know if you get your TL fixed and if it comes back in decent condition. I’d really appreciate it. Good luck to everyone else. -T
Nice first post. Welcome to AZ I hope you get your tranny problem resolved.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
does this problem is common in acuras? I have heard about transmission problems in some models. does anyone knows the history of transmission for tls?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:06 PM
www.colradodetail.com

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by eduthesamurai
does this problem is common in acuras? I have heard about transmission problems in some models. does anyone knows the history of transmission for tls?
I think all cars have there problems..... Try to find when the car was made....M T W R of F. Friday cars seem to be the worst.....

I have had my TL-s 6spd MT for over a year now and i have had no problems with gears slipping. I did however add the short shifter, shifter bushings, Slave Cylinder Valve delete, and switched to the GM Sync!....

First off the GM SYNC is a MUST!!! after about an 1hr of driving the car shifts with ease! 2nd gear was tough with SS installed but after i switched to GM SYNC its a breeze! THIS IS A MUST DO!!!

SS - i dont know if i would do it again if i had the opportunity. WHY? well it changes the lever arm the car was designed for and makes it a little harder to shift. Still on edge with this one.

Shift bushings... not a must but it does feel more solid with shifting!

Check slave valve delete....i would do this every day of the week..... i dont ride the clutch anymore to make smooth shifts and it feels like my 91 civic. Also the best part of it my wife is much happier when driving with me!!

Just my 's
Old 08-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Yup with 29,xxx miles on my tl-s 6mt I have already made the change to GM fluid. Tranny goes into gears so much smoother. Noticeable instantly.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:34 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Nice first post. Welcome to AZ I hope you get your tranny problem resolved.
Thanks!! Me too. Since my post my tranny has been demoted on my list of BS to take up with the dealer. Believe it or not I’ve got bigger fish to fry now. After a lot of patience and trying to work with the dealer…and getting nowhere, I’m becoming militant.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Cruisin'

I bought my type S a month ago and I noticed the third gear issue. When I test drove the car, I thought it was just me not press on the clutch all the way. Should I try GM syncromesh fluid friction modified and see if it fix it or just let the dealership take a look at it.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 AM
www.colradodetail.com

Originally Posted by 08WDPTL-S
I bought my type S a month ago and I noticed the third gear issue. When I test drove the car, I thought it was just me not press on the clutch all the way. Should I try GM syncromesh fluid friction modified and see if it fix it or just let the dealership take a look at it.

YES, it makes a world of difference
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 08WDPTL-S
You see what the dealer did for the OP of this thread. GMSM friction modified and call it a day.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Cruisin'

Well do. I just order some, so should be here in a week or so.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
OP made the right decision IMO.
Even though the tranny issue is known for this gen, he made the decision to buy based on his understanding that the car was issue free.
He didn't make his decision to buy based on a bad tranny that he could live with.
Kudos to you for exercising the 30day.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Series Motor's

Best of luck to you bro, hopefully you do find that dream car of yours, I am extremely happy with the auto type S, I think you would be as well. I am extremely surprised the idiots fucked up the MT, when generally it is so much easier than AT. Just that with such limited supply they love to over charge
Old 08-18-2012, 08:27 PM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
On the bright side of things, at least the dealer owned up to it. It would have sort of added insult to injury if they tried to deny messing up your tranny or tried to give you a hard time about returning it. There are definitely some dealers that would do that....
Old 08-18-2012, 08:44 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very informative thread.. If I were you I would've tried the syncromesh first... buuuut I completely understand where yo uwere coming from and I also agree that they should've done it right the first time