I have a question....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005 | 10:34 AM
2nd Gear

I have a question....

I have been reading this forum and the TSX one because I am contemplating buying an Acura. I keep seeing on the boards how people are demanding there deposits back. Now I understand that sometimes there can be an issue where the dealer lied or couldn't get the car and they want the deposit back, which I understand. What I don't understand is that when someone leaves a deposit and then goes to another dealer and then tries to cancel the previous deal. How much more are people getting off the original deal that they would want to cancel there deposits? Is it that they are going to another dealer and they are beating the price buy $100 or $200 or are we talking into the thousands? I work in the computer industry and deal with this all the time, not the cancellations but the negotiating of deals and the such.

I am just curious. I would figure you would make the best deal you could and not leave a deposit until you were completely satisfied.
Old 02-16-2005 | 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Hi there,

I just purhcased a 05 WDP with navi, and just went through the negogiation stage, I think on a brand new car there really isnt that much wiggle room, I paid about 1200 below msrp, and did NOT pay any PDI charges so thats about it. a couple of dealers wanted a few hundred more but its def not thousands of dollars difference, I guess the with TL the demand is there, but I did see the new chevy truck convertible for 11,000 less than msrp!!!!
Old 02-16-2005 | 12:20 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by hefe4711
I have been reading this forum and the TSX one because I am contemplating buying an Acura. I keep seeing on the boards how people are demanding there deposits back. Now I understand that sometimes there can be an issue where the dealer lied or couldn't get the car and they want the deposit back, which I understand. What I don't understand is that when someone leaves a deposit and then goes to another dealer and then tries to cancel the previous deal. How much more are people getting off the original deal that they would want to cancel there deposits? Is it that they are going to another dealer and they are beating the price buy $100 or $200 or are we talking into the thousands? I work in the computer industry and deal with this all the time, not the cancellations but the negotiating of deals and the such.

I am just curious. I would figure you would make the best deal you could and not leave a deposit until you were completely satisfied.
At the risk of getting flammed, you have to consider the source(s). I would just do as you stated; make your best deal after doing your research, get it written to your satisfaction, fulfill your part ie. accept delivery. Return of a deposit is not guaranteed unless it's written into the contract or there is fraud IMHO. There is pleanty of pricing information available for TL's here on this forum, it depends on your location to a large extent. Best deals seem to be about $2K below MSRP in places other than California. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2005 | 01:37 PM
Racer

I'd recommend sticking with the dealer that treats you well, has a good sales ethic and works for you... If you read my previous post regarding Thomas Acura in West Covina, you'd just want to them....
Old 02-16-2005 | 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

I can understand what you mean about the source, but all I hear is how to go to the dealer and bitch and moan until you can get your money back from them. In reading some of the posts, it almost seems like the people deserve it because they are only saving a few hundred dollars.

Though I would have to assume that most of the people who are bitching about losing a deposit because they pulled out of a deal, never worked in any retail field. I would never do business with someone ever again if we decided on a deal, I got a deposit, but because one of my competitors beat my price, after we made the deal, by a few bucks they would never due business with me again.

I could understand if I screwed up and couldn't deliver what I promised, then I would be understanding.

On the other hand, I wonder what these guys would be saying if the dealer decided that they didn't make enough money because someone else came in and offered more for the car that he had a deposit on and the dealer decided to sell to the other person and return the deposit to the first customer. Would they say how that is not fair and they had a deposit on the car then?