Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate that 6 Speed (speaking my mind)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:24 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by violarx
My problem is difficulty getting into 3rd. Never has it popped out but perhaps the problems are related.

Here's the angle from my particular dealer that I haven't seen in this thread:

Push the clutch solidly to the floor & make a deliberate shift. Might be the placebo effect, but it seems to work, at least some of the time.

He says that the design basis from their F-1 racing trannies was used for our 6MT

Anyone care to weigh in on this explanation?
I wrote about this very thing not long ago as a possible consideration for the cause of some of the problems. It has been my experience with other manual TLs I've driven that the initial engagement point is quite close to the bottom of the pedal travel. It is a fact that some people (we all do this from time to time I suspect) do not fully depress the clutch pedal on every shift. When this happens, there is still a small amount of clamping pressure exerted on the clutch disk which can make shifting action more haphazard and difficult. It can also bring about premature synchronizer wear.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
I leave for work around 4:45am every day. This morning when I went into my study to grab my keys and things, I checked the outside temperature (I have one of those remove wireless units for inside/outside weather info) and it was 9.5 degrees. In my garage, it was 26 degrees. I wanted to pay strict attention to my gearbox behavior under these conditions so that I could report on this thread what I found.

From the moment I backed out of my garage (about 45 seconds after starting the engine), the shifting action was smooth and as expected with no notchiness, grinding, or sluggishness. In other words, the cold temps had no affect on its operation whatsoever. The same held true all the way into work.

SB you arent experiencing this issue. why are you even testing its affect in the cold weather? just wondering
Old 01-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by jchcmax
I've tried the GM synchromesh and Amsoil for the trans fluid. The Amsoil is a lot better than the GM sh*t.

If they both work how is it that one can be better then the other?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by trancemission
SB you arent experiencing this issue. why are you even testing its affect in the cold weather? just wondering
Some people have reported their problems increase with the cold. And it is quite common for a manual transmission to feel more "sluggish" or offer increased resistance in really cold weather. Just wanted to pay more attention to mine to see if I could notice anything of the sort. That's all.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:49 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rdGenHybrid
Gm Synchromesh Fluid.....$9 Bucks A Quart....

Labor For Fluid Change.....free...i Work At The Damn Dealership...

Having 3rd Gear Catch Everytime....priceless....so Far So Good I Guess...its Been About 20 Degrees Outside...and It Still Catches Smooth....i Could Even Put It Into First Without Having To Come To A Complete Stop...
Hahaha...doesn't that feel good? Like magic right? Glad you finally crossed over and gave up the "good fight"! Another satisfied customer!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by violarx
My problem is difficulty getting into 3rd. Never has it popped out but perhaps the problems are related.

Here's the angle from my particular dealer that I haven't seen in this thread:

Push the clutch solidly to the floor & make a deliberate shift. Might be the placebo effect, but it seems to work, at least some of the time.

He says that the design basis from their F-1 racing trannies was used for our 6MT

Anyone care to weigh in on this explanation?
This is not a problem that only occurs because of operator error. If it was, changing out the tranny fluid to the GM stuff would have no effect. If this problem was in any way related to operator error it would occur in more than just 3rd gear.

Every report on the issue is the same: I have trouble getting it to shift into 3rd gear.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Registered VTEC junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If they both work how is it that one can be better then the other?
Had a notchy 3 gear shifting , it went away with GM stuff but came back after several days. Amsoil solved the problem-I have ZERO problems shifting and it's still smooth since day 1 .GM stuff was a waste of money.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Had a notchy 3 gear shifting , it went away with GM stuff but came back after several days. Amsoil solved the problem-I have ZERO problems shifting and it's still smooth since day 1 .GM stuff was a waste of money.
Are you sure you used the GM Friction Modified fluid? You're the first person I've heard of that didn't have success with the GM FM fluid.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Are you sure you used the GM Friction Modified fluid? You're the first person I've heard of that didn't have success with the GM FM fluid.
He's was not using GMSFM.. many who have replied on this thread aren't either. They're just using GM Synchromesh fluid (??)> Were they using the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid, they would have said as much.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

I guarantee you that you didnt use the friction modified. I dont know what the hell you used that said GM but it wasnt what we're all using.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

He's was not using GMSFM.. many who have replied on this thread aren't either. They're just using GM Synchromesh fluid (??)> Were they using the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid, they would have said as much.
I'm sorry, people. I was deliberately being a little bit of a jerk with this touch of sarcasm. Please excuse my lost moment.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I'm sorry, people. I was deliberately being a little bit of a jerk with this touch of sarcasm. Please excuse my lost moment.

Are you back? Do I have to come out to Manassas and find you? You aiight SB, don't sweat it!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by darksom1

Are you back? Do I have to come out to Manassas and find you? You aiight SB, don't sweat it!
Yeah, I just couldn't resist a little brevity to lighten things up a might. Had to inject some course humor.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Race Director

Wait, I don't get it?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Registered VTEC junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Yep , got it from the Chevy dealer myself. Yeah, it was wierd..it didn't seem to correct the problem I was having. Oh well, thank God there's Amsoil.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Just cause you got it from the chevy dealer...doesn't mean it was the correct fluid....i went to a GM dealer...and specifically asked for SYNCHROMESH Fluid...he gave me regular M/T fluid..and told me it was the same....at that point...i took the 3qts and threw it on the ground...and told him he was a moron....i then went to a Pontiac/Buick dealer...and the parts guy gave me the right stuff, also told me the GM dealer i went to had incompetent dumbass' working there....and is why he quit and went to the Ponti/Buick dealer...

On another note....its been about 3/4 days...and its still going strong...catching 3rd gear everytime....thanks to all for feedback/answers...another problem solved by 21st century internet searching....
Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Race Director

Yep , got it from the Chevy dealer myself. Yeah, it was wierd..it didn't seem to correct the problem I was having. Oh well, thank God there's Amsoil.
That absolutely doesn't guarantee that you got the FM version. Most of the GM parts guys don't even know the difference.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:29 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I went through similar shit the 1st time I went to a Chevy dealer to buy the stuff. At 1st, the guy had no idea there were 2 M/T fluids. I had to keep repeating the words FRICTION MODIFIED over and over again until another parts guy came along behind the counter who knew exactly WTF I was talking about.

If the bottle doesn't look EXACTLY like this, FUGHETTABOUTIT !!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:58 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DMZ
I went through similar shit the 1st time I went to a Chevy dealer to buy the stuff. At 1st, the guy had no idea there were 2 M/T fluids. I had to keep repeating the words FRICTION MODIFIED over and over again until another parts guy came along behind the counter who knew exactly WTF I was talking about.

If the bottle doesn't look EXACTLY like this, FUGHETTABOUTIT !!

When I bought mine, the guy in the Chevy parts department who helped me didn't even know there was such a thing as the Friction Modified version. I have saved a used container just in case, for my next trip.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:31 AM
7th Gear

TL Manual Transmission problems

My '05 TL 6-speed manual has had the third gear problem intermittently since day one. We mentioned it at our third oil change, the dealer put in a synthetic transmission fluid. It continued to be an intermittent problem. So we mentioned it again. They put a "new" Acura transmission fluid in it. Still no fix, still an intermittent problem.

Then it started getting worse, far more frequent. So we brought it in and they had my car for 6 weeks while they rebuilt the transmission under warranty (yes, I had a loaner, an old TSX - a dog compared to my TL).

I have 43,000 miles on the car and for the most part absolutely LOVE my TL.

Well, when we finally got the car back, the Service Manager himself said he drove the car and it was good as new... great big "BS" - they made it worse... we weren't one mile from the dealer when it started popping out of second, third and fourth gear! And it shifted really rough. Not to mention it was way out of alignment and the brakes all of a sudden are very mushy. I wanted to cry.

So my TL is back at the dealer... they have had it for 3 weeks (yes, I have another loaner... at least this one is a new TSX - not as much of a dog). They are once again rebuilding the transmission. They are telling me Acura does not replace entire transmissions. Although Acura's Customer Service says that is not true.

We mentioned all the posting on various websites we found about the transmission problems and they said they've never seen or heard anything about this problem. We mentioned the GM Fluid we've read about as being the solution and again they know nothing about it. I'm afraid to put it in myself - not until I am out of warranty.

After this repair if it is not better I will get Acura’s Customer Service involved and find a new dealer to work with. I'm tempted to sell it or trade it in, but I have conscientious problem with unloading it on someone else. And I'm almost done paying for it AND like I said above for the most part I LOVE my TL.

I feel this is not a rare problem, from what I've read on most websites at least 25% of the people with manual transmissions are having problems. And that's only the ones posting. At Christmas dinner at my sister-in-laws we were telling our TL woes and someone at the table with a '05 TSX manual transmission has the exact same problem... she thought she was not driving right and not pushing the clutch in all the way or something... I wonder just how many others out there think it's them, not the car... I think a manufacturer's excellent reputation can do that, make you think it's you.

Thanks for letting me vent.
SLS
Old 01-23-2008, 07:55 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Sharon Shoemaker
My '05 TL 6-speed manual has had the third gear problem intermittently since day one. We mentioned it at our third oil change, the dealer put in a synthetic transmission fluid. It continued to be an intermittent problem. So we mentioned it again. They put a "new" Acura transmission fluid in it. Still no fix, still an intermittent problem.

Then it started getting worse, far more frequent. So we brought it in and they had my car for 6 weeks while they rebuilt the transmission under warranty (yes, I had a loaner, an old TSX - a dog compared to my TL).

Well, when we finally got the car back, the Service Manager himself said he drove the car and it was good as new... great big "BS" - they made it worse... we weren't one mile from the dealer when it started popping out of second, third and fourth gear! And it shifted really rough. Not to mention it was way out of alignment and the brakes all of a sudden are very mushy. I wanted to cry.

So my TL is back at the dealer... they have had it for 3 weeks (yes, I have another loaner... at least this one is a new TSX - not as much of a dog). They are once again rebuilding the transmission. They are telling me Acura does not replace entire transmissions. Although Acura's Customer Service says that is not true.

We mentioned all the posting on various websites we found about the transmission problems and they said they've never seen or heard anything about this problem. We mentioned the GM Fluid we've read about as being the solution and again they know nothing about it. I'm afraid to put it in myself - not until I am out of warranty.

After this repair if it is not better I will get Acura’s Customer Service involved and find a new dealer to work with. I'm tempted to sell it or trade it in, but I have conscientious problem with unloading it on someone else. And I'm almost done paying for it AND like I said above for the most part I LOVE my TL.

I feel this is not a rare problem, from what I've read on most websites at least 25% of the people with manual transmissions are having problems. And that's only the ones posting. At Christmas dinner at my sister-in-laws we were telling our TL woes and someone at the table with a '05 TSX manual transmission has the exact same problem... she thought she was not driving right and not pushing the clutch in all the way or something... I wonder just how many others out there think it's them, not the car... I think a manufacturer's excellent reputation can do that, make you think it's you.

SLS
SLS, use it, discover it works like the OP found out, and avoid all those trips of pending frustrations! There are so many people here that have tried this stuff and it has "set them free" with no warranty concerns. To each his own, but no way you read all of these testimonies and still go without. Just think of it like this...if there was a known cure for an illness you had - wouldn't you want it? Well, your car is waiting on you "Doc"!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 AM
7th Gear

Thanks... I totally understand your analogy but I do not necessarily agree with it.

This is not my body or my health. It is a very expensive luxury sports sedan with an inherent manufacturing problem.

Don't get me wrong... I will probably buy and take the medicine.

To use your own analogy... if I bought a food product and it made me ill and a bunch of other people ill... not only would I take the medicine to cure myself... I would try to get the product changed or off the market or at the very least make the manufacturer accountable for making people ill.

I think that we all love our TL’s so much we’re willing to take the medicine and move on… But, there is a part of me (the part that paid $34,000 for a car) that thinks it’s wrong to do so.

Thanks again for hearing me out.
SLS
Old 01-23-2008, 08:21 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

To use your own analogy... if I bought a food product and it made me ill and a bunch of other people ill... not only would I take the medicine to cure myself... I would try to get the product changed or off the market or at the very least make the manufacturer accountable for making people ill.
Hmm...Proactive is the key here. You can, like the OP, fight the good fight and hope that it catches on with corporate...or...you can take matters into your own hands, apply the simple solution, and fix it yourself so that the headache is gone! Certainly not to be crass, though probably not avoidable, but as a friend of mine once told me:
"You can hope in one hand, and sh*t in the other - see which one fills up faster!"

Good luck on that Sharon!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 AM
7th Gear

I'm a novice with abrieviations... what does "OP" mean?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:52 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I'm a novice with abrieviations... what does "OP" mean?
Original Poster
Old 01-23-2008, 09:07 AM
7th Gear

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never had an issue with the tranny, but I switched to the GM's Synchro Mesh and added a Comptech short shifter and that has added to the fun in driving.....nice crisp shifting and never pops out of gear as my Jeep Rubicon has a few times....
Old 01-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Racer

SLS
Sharon,
I have gone through almost the exact same scenario as you have outlined. I had the problem from new with my car but it was very infrequent and only 3rd gear. After several trips to the dealer and a couple of fluid changes the problem was not any better. My dealer tried replacing the 3rd gear syncros and when I got the car back suddenly I had probems with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. At this point, I crafted an email to the service manager outlining the problem. They replied back that they had ordered a new transmission. The tranny was replaced about 1 year ago and I have not had a single probe in that time.

You need a new tranny and do not settle for anything less.

Good Luck.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:54 AM
7th Gear

I believe you are correct and I won't settle.
Thanks you...
Old 01-23-2008, 12:21 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe you are correct and I won't settle.
Thanks you...
I think that we all love our TL’s so much we’re willing to take the medicine and move on… But, there is a part of me (the part that paid $34,000 for a car) that thinks it’s wrong to do so.

I commend you Sharon,
If more people "wouldn't" just settle for crap in their hand we all would be better off as consumers.

Don't get me wrong however - I like fixing my own car just like many on this forum, but I have no issue calling a spade a spade. My 04/5AT TL has given me a few headaches with rattles but all the dealer/Acura has had to do is replace a seat cover and swap the hands free link module for me. I've been very pleased with it.

The fact that the GM SM fluid has been the snake oil fix for many here is awesome. The fact that MT owners had to figure that out on their own let alone a manufacturer that states there isn't a problem,, there lies the issue...

Either way, sure hope your issues work out in the short/long term!
Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well you better go ahead and dump it then

but syncrhomesh will make that problem go away for good.
I have to agree, do this and it will be a different car all together!! I did it with about 6k miles on the car and now have 43k, no issue since I did it.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 PM
'06 6MT WDP

I can't believe people are still out there stressing over this 3rd gear problem. GM synchomesh + comptech short throw shifter makes this tranny one of the best I have owned.

For the record, I had the 3rd gear problem 3-4 times per week for about the first 9K miles I owned the car. Switched to GM fluid and never had it again. At 46K now. Probably need to do a drain/refill soon but it still feels like new.

Switch the fluid out, say FU to the dealer, move on and enjoy your life.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike 06 TL
I can't believe people are still out there stressing over this 3rd gear problem.
Switch the fluid out, say FU to the dealer, move on and enjoy your life.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Cruisin'

I don't have personal experience with the transmission problem but found this quote today on another WEB site.

We were able to confirm today that Honda has been advising their technicians that a TSB will be released in the next 30-60 days. This time frame is subject to change depending on parts availability.

The TSB details are not specific yet but will be some type of mechanical modification to the main shaft of the transmission or 3rd gear set of the following models:

2006-2008 Honda Civic Si

2003-2007 Honda Accord (6 Speed Manual)

2004-2008 Acura TL (6 Speed Manual)

Please note this information has been provided by Honda technicians and is not in anyway official.

The TSB is not yet released, nor can we verify the specifics of what specific action will be taken.

http://www.automotivearticles.com/123/article_254.shtml
Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Advanced

Question

For those of you that have replaced your tran fluid with the GM fluid, are you taking it in to your Acura dealer and having them switch it for you or are you guys just going to other shops to have it done?

I'm just wondering because I would like to have this done on my new 6MT and would rather have the dealership do this. Would they refuse to do it because it’s a GM product and/or would it void Acura's warranty?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:58 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

my god, I cant believe you people are worried about just changing the fluid to fix this problem

how many of us does it take to tell you that it works and works great. who gives a shit about principal? there is a problem, we all identified it. there is a solution, use it.

you want to get another tranny, by all means have at it. Acura will go as far as changing the tranny. BUT, you still run the risk of having the issue. There are people with 08's experiencing this. So roll the dice and take them on if you must. But 30 minutes of work and you will be right here posting with us how happy you are that you did.

TLMcLovin. dude they wont even know the difference. Just take it to any mechanic and have them put it in or do a search here in the forum. There are some great DIY's on it. Its a very easy job.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Advanced

TLMcLovin. dude they wont even know the difference. Just take it to any mechanic and have them put it in or do a search here in the forum. There are some great DIY's on it. Its a very easy job.
Thanks Trance, I'll have a look
Old 01-24-2008, 01:06 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

and Sharon let me just add one thing. I am speaking from experience. I was right where you were, wanting to take them on. I went through this for an entire year. I had the tranny fluid changed four times. Then they wanted to start replacing syncro's. I know the head mechanic at my dealer very well. They know whats going on. The head mechanic even pulled me aside and told me "Ethan, just put the GM shit in, if thats whats fixing it then do it" So I finally gave into it and bought the GM fluid. I dont regret one thing about doing it. NOT ONCE since I have done this fluid change have I even had a hint of it not going into any gear.

I had this issue bad, it was happening everyday. 3rd gear would not go. But when i brought it to the dealer it would shift ok, not great, but it would shift.

Now it is like night and day. Hell if you lived nearby Id change the fluid for you.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Either way, sure hope your issues work out in the short/long term!
you can write all the letters and make all the phone calls you want.

you either

1. get a new tranny, after many fluid changes and syncro changes.

or

2. put the GM fluid in and call it a day. its really that easy...
Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 AM
7th Gear

I do hear you all loud and clear...

BUT, I wish our Acura dealer told us about the GM fluid when we went to them with only the intermittent 3rd gear problem.

We didn't start investigating on-line until after they made our transmission WORSE it is now popping out of 2nd; 3rd AND 4th and grinding into to all gears... it's rougher then my 1993 Nissan Altima that has 260k miles on the original clutch/tranny and engine.

If I put the GM stuff in and it doesn’t work because they F*cked it up so badly… I don’t want them void my warranty because I used a GM product.

So I will fight for my new transmission and the first thing I will do after it is in the car is buy the GM fluid.

Thank you all for this amazing feed back… I have a printer and will use it.

I must say, though… I am absolutely astonished that so many people are having a problem and so willing to do the fix and move on. Not that I have the time or desire to be Norma Rae or Erin Brockovich… But someone needs to get Acura to be accountable for this problem. They are selling very expensive cars with faulty transmissions and this doesn’t bother anyone?

Yesterday - Darksome1 had this quote for me:

"You can hope in one hand, and sh*t in the other - see which one fills up faster!”

My response is this - if someone sh*ts in my hand I am NOT going to wipe it off with the other hand, or wash it away and walk away (the shit maybe gone –but someone shit on me!)… I believe in pooper-scoopers, people need to clean up their own poop. So I’m going to throw Acura’s sh*t back at them or at the very least wipe it on their sleeve.

Thanks again for hearing me out…

Quick Reply: I hate that 6 Speed (speaking my mind)