Sponsored by:

I hate that 6 Speed (speaking my mind)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by S PAW 1
This is like the student criticizing the instructor
You made some assumptions that Southernboy never put in his statement, somehow to make yourself look like an authority. He bases his educated comments upon what others have voiced over the last several years, and he has contributed invaluable factual information. I would suggest you listen a little more closely!
Yikes! Fanboy much?

While his comments were a little abrupt, he's probably right. Wear can't really be the issue, because many (I might even say most) of the posts here are in new cars. My issue with 3rd gear (notchiness & grind, no popping out) made it self known on the 2nd day I owned it- had <100 miles. I learned to deal with it very quickly, and pay close attention to 3rd gear engagement. I wonder if those who've spent less time driving manuals miss the subtle feel of 3rd gear not quite engaging, and then it pops out- inexperience, if you will.

GM synchromesh has made the 3rd gear issue go away, but now I'm not happy with 2nd gear when it's cold. C'est la vie- it's still an awesome car, otherwise.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fish008
I will confirm it. I got into with some guys from the second gen side and wound up calling Pennzoil. They (Pennzoil) confirmed it for me. It's not that hard to believe if you think about it for two seconds. Can we all agree that GM doesn't make everything they put in their cars? The same goes for Acura and all other manufactures. They make cars and don't get caught up in the little stuff. When they need something specific they let someone make it that specializes in doing just that. When Bugatti needed a tire for the Veyron they didn’t make it themselves, they went to Michelin. That is how you run a good company and save R&D money for the things at matter. They also use the same name "synchromesh" which isnt exactly an everyday term and would likely be in violation of copyright infringement if they were not the same.
The Pennzoil is the Friction Modified Synchromesh? GM has two types- regular, and "Friction Modified." The FM is what everyone recommends for us.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
... They also use the same name "synchromesh" which isnt exactly an everyday term and would likely be in violation of copyright infringement if they were not the same.
No, actually GM spells it without the first "h" ... "Syncromesh."

Anyhow, it's worked perfectly for me: not one bad shift into 3rd (or any other transmission issue) for over 15,000 miles now. I've driven sticks exclusively since '83, treat my car at least as well as Southern Boy , and my otherwise perfect 05 used to have the "3rd gear problem" several times a week since it was brand new. Since the famous "cure in a bottle," not one single time.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TLin05
No, actually GM spells it without the first "h" ... "Syncromesh."

Anyhow, it's worked perfectly for me: not one bad shift into 3rd (or any other transmission issue) for over 15,000 miles now. I've driven sticks exclusively since '83, treat my car at least as well as Southern Boy , and my otherwise perfect 05 used to have the "3rd gear problem" several times a week since it was brand new. Since the famous "cure in a bottle," not one single time.
Is that right?

Originally Posted by DMZ

END OF STORY ...............
Glad to hear that it is working for you either way.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Is that right?

Glad to hear that it is working for you either way.
Oops!! I should've listened to that little voice saying "better double check that!" I could have sworn they spelled it wrong, but obviously not...
Old 01-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by aznbo187
If you don't feel like going to GM and ordering it, Pepboys carries the Pennzoil Synchromesh. Same thing, just rebottled. And a few bucks cheaper.
yeah but its not friction modified. I was almost going to buy that as well.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by 3rdGenHybrid
ill try that GM fluid...but i think its kinda ridiculous that i have to use a GM product in a Foreign car with only 10k to fix a problem that honda has had for years...

who gives a shit?........ really.

it is what it is. just use it and we shall never hear of this again,

when I picked up my bottles from the GM dealer their parts manager said, "we send cases to BMW every week"
Old 01-19-2008, 07:02 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm glad you are going to take the advice and try the GM stuff OP. You'll be glad you did! I get sick and tired of people asking for advice and then keep whining once you give them a viable and simple solution to the problem!

Like Nike: Just Do It!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
This is like the student criticizing the instructor
You made some assumptions that Southernboy never put in his statement, somehow to make yourself look like an authority. He bases his educated comments upon what others have voiced over the last several years, and he has contributed invaluable factual information. I would suggest you listen a little more closely!
What??? Southernboy has never experienced the problem and continues to post that he can not understand how some people experience the problem and others don't. I have first hand experience with the problem. If someone was to follow the threads closely as I have you will find that it occurs on brand new cars from day 1. This is not something that slowly develops. You might want to read a few more threads about the 3rd gear problem so you can speak with a little more authority.

You really need to read his post a little closer. The statement in his orginal post was "I would say perhaps it might be found in too much mating surface material being worn off of the 3rd gear synchronizers." This is simply not a reasonable conclusion for a brand new transmission.

I agree with his follow up to my post. "This would lead me to believe a problem in one of three initial areas: design, installation, or materials."
Old 01-19-2008, 07:57 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

I had a problem with third when I first got the car, I changed the fluid with new Honda mtf and I now change it every oil change and haven't had a problem since!
Old 01-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by bmaczo6
What??? Southernboy has never experienced the problem and continues to post that he can not understand how some people experience the problem and others don't.
Yes, I have never experienced the problem in my TL. As far as not understanding how some people experience the problem and others don't, the implication here is not so much of an owner problem as that of a possible difference in equipment problem. That is what is hard to accept. How some of Acura's manuals seem to do just fine while others in the same car models have problems.

I have first hand experience with the problem. If someone was to follow the threads closely as I have you will find that it occurs on brand new cars from day 1. This is not something that slowly develops. You might want to read a few more threads about the 3rd gear problem so you can speak with a little more authority.
I seem to recall, recently even, where someone had this occur during a test drive of a new car. This would almost certainly point to some sort of manufacturing error from design to assembly to installation.

You really need to read his post a little closer. The statement in his orginal post was "I would say perhaps it might be found in too much mating surface material being worn off of the 3rd gear synchronizers." This is simply not a reasonable conclusion for a brand new transmission.
You left off the rest of rest of the paragraph! The sentence I wrote which immediately follows the one you quoted says, "However, that would tend to result in greater difficulty in shifting into 3rd as well as grinding." In other words, I would find it hard to imagine how premature synchronizer wear might in and of itself result in popping out of a gear.

I agree with his follow up to my post. "This would lead me to believe a problem in one of three initial areas: design, installation, or materials."
I would add to that list of three a fourth item. That of assembly.

I still find it hard to imagine how some owners have the problem while others don't. For qualification purposes, this simply means what I said above. And that is how Acura/Honda can manufacture and install some manuals which deliver dependable and predicted service while others act in peculiar and strange ways.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by darksom1
Sure, it would be nice to buy a car and everything worked right and did what it was supposed to do. But in a world where one dealership sells the same car as another, but won't honor the same warranty claims, sometimes when it won't work, and it's less of a headache to take it into your own hands - take it into your own hands. Remember the grass is always greener on the other side. You could ditch the TL for another car because of a simple annoyance, only to find a bigger problem with the seemingly "better" alternative!!
very well said Ray.

GM FTMFW
Old 01-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by trancemission
very well said Ray.

GM FTMFW
Yeah, he's right. One of the primary reasons I have not gone the route of the new TL-S is because my '04 TL runs and works like a gem. There is that fear that you might give up something in hopes of getting what you think you really want, just to find out you made a mistake. It has happened to me.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
yeah but its not friction modified. I was almost going to buy that as well.
After a bit of research, I think you are right. Although I can't confirm that it's not friction modified, it's not the exact replacement as the GM friction modified version everyone is talking about.

I have a picture of it, not the best but it states that it replaces GM "12345577", and "12345349" (as stated on their website)

So it's not the "friction modified" version, but honestly, I've had the horrible 3rd gear pop outs prior to the flush with Pennzoil. After the flush with Pennzoil, it's only been about 5 or 6 times total that it's popped out. So to me, it works. I don't prefer either one, I just happen to have a Pepboys thats easier to access and I haven't had any problems Pennzoil. I guess it really depends on whichever is more convenient for you, or if you have to have your piece of mind...just go with the GM Friction Modified stuff.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

well 5 or 6 times as opposed to none since I put the GM in. Ive never even felt a notch.

If given the choice Id go with the GM everyday and twice on Sunday
Old 01-20-2008, 02:30 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

After a bit of research, I think you are right. Although I can't confirm that it's not friction modified, it's not the exact replacement as the GM friction modified version everyone is talking about.

I have a picture of it, not the best but it states that it replaces GM "12345577", and "12345349" (as stated on their website)

So it's not the "friction modified" version, but honestly, I've had the horrible 3rd gear pop outs prior to the flush with Pennzoil. After the flush with Pennzoil, it's only been about 5 or 6 times total that it's popped out. So to me, it works. I don't prefer either one, I just happen to have a Pepboys thats easier to access and I haven't had any problems Pennzoil. I guess it really depends on whichever is more convenient for you, or if you have to have your piece of mind...just go with the GM Friction Modified stuff.
Someone else argued this point about the Pennzoil being the same. But it's not. In fact, when you call the place and ask the guy, (I think his name starts with an A, Al or something) he will tell you that based on the part number you give him, that there are more than one types for that batch and the one that goes with the part number we give him for the GM we use, is NOT a match. I personally called and talked to them myself. It was in another discussion (of the many) about the GM fluid.

Ha! I just did a search and found it for you (I was right about the name too - yay me!) :

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=call+Pennzoil

Absolutely NO pop outs or notches after the GM fluid change, by the way so why go with an "alternative"? Get the good stuff the first time! Oh yeah, thanks for bringing that up Mike!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
This would almost certainly point to some sort of manufacturing error from design to assembly to installation.

You left off the rest of rest of the paragraph! The sentence I wrote which immediately follows the one you quoted says, "However, that would tend to result in greater difficulty in shifting into 3rd as well as grinding." In other words, I would find it hard to imagine how premature synchronizer wear might in and of itself result in popping out of a gear.

I would add to that list of three a fourth item. That of assembly.
I agree. I believe the problem is primarily of design or materials and that very precise assembly or installation is needed to make it work properly.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
well 5 or 6 times as opposed to none since I put the GM in. Ive never even felt a notch.

If given the choice Id go with the GM everyday and twice on Sunday
Next transmission change will be with GM, I'll take your word trancemission.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:41 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

lol

how many times are we going to debate the same shit? get the GM stuff and stfu!

Old 01-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by gauravp123
lol

Don't jump the gun on a lock. We all want to hear what happens after he puts the elixir in. He'll be a believer then
Old 01-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

yeah Ill keep this open for now. But please if you just got here, start at the beginning.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Next transmission change will be with GM, I'll take your word trancemission.

you wont regret it az

I couldnt fucking believe it when I started driving it.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Yeah, he's right. One of the primary reasons I have not gone the route of the new TL-S is because my '04 TL runs and works like a gem. There is that fear that you might give up something in hopes of getting what you think you really want, just to find out you made a mistake. It has happened to me.

which is the exact reason Im keeping my car for a very long time

when I turn 40 Im getting an NSX
Old 01-20-2008, 04:46 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Don't jump the gun on a lock. We all want to hear what happens after he puts the elixir in. He'll be a believer then
We already know what the answer's gonna be. There's enough testimonials about the GM stuff here on AcuraZine to write a book as long as War and Peace.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:58 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

lol

Yo Ethan, take that damn little lock thing away from his ass! He uses that damn thing every other post! I think he just loves locking down threads or some shit!

gauravp123, lock it up! (excuse the pun)
Old 01-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

you two shut up...
Old 01-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

lol

Nice mouth. Does your momma know you talk like that?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:49 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
yeah Ill keep this open for now. But please if you just got here, start at the beginning.
Absolutely. No 3rd gear thread would be 1/4 as fun if you jumped in the middle. You need to read all of the setup and character development to make the payoff as exciting. I used to hate new 3rd gear posts but now I'm a junkie. I was jonzing for a thread and this gave me a fix. It's just like watching the movie Groundhog Day...hilarious ! Over and over and over again.

I still find it hard to imagine how some owners have the problem while others don't.
I'd bet there are plenty that just don't notice it or think they are doing something wrong to make it happen. Especially if this is their first MT car. Lastly SouthernBoy, I'm glad to see you're not going to take any shit on this. You certainly don't deserve any.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:58 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Adobeman
I used to hate new 3rd gear posts but now I'm a junkie. I was jonzing for a thread and this gave me a fix. It's just like watching the movie Groundhog Day...hilarious ! Over and over and over again.
Haha...I always took you for a hacker!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:11 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobeman
Absolutely. No 3rd gear thread would be 1/4 as fun if you jumped in the middle. You need to read all of the setup and character development to make the payoff as exciting. I used to hate new 3rd gear posts but now I'm a junkie. I was jonzing for a thread and this gave me a fix. It's just like watching the movie Groundhog Day...hilarious ! Over and over and over again.
I therefore hereby designate February 2nd as

GM Synchromesh Friction Modified Day on Acurazine.

All those in favor, Say "I"

Old 01-20-2008, 09:54 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Yo Tone, know what I told da people that don't wanna try the stuff? Fugedaboutit! I fuckin' got ya Honda product right 'ere!! Yous frikkin' sleepin' wid da fishes if ya don't!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:59 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Originally Posted by darksom1
Yo Ethan, take that damn little lock thing away from his ass! He uses that damn thing every other post! I think he just loves locking down threads or some shit!

gauravp123, lock it up! (excuse the pun)
stop bum lickin' the mods!!!!!!!

noob!!!! first learn your Internet terms & acronyms! then learn how to e-fight!!!

internet noob - we won't forget the NOOB questions you asked a few weeks ago
Old 01-20-2008, 10:01 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Nice mouth. Does your momma know you talk like that?
I haven't seen/spoken to her in about 7.5 years, she disowned her children back in 2001!

so, to answer your question, nope!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Advanced

My problem is difficulty getting into 3rd. Never has it popped out but perhaps the problems are related.

Here's the angle from my particular dealer that I haven't seen in this thread:

Push the clutch solidly to the floor & make a deliberate shift. Might be the placebo effect, but it seems to work, at least some of the time.

He says that the design basis from their F-1 racing trannies was used for our 6MT

Anyone care to weigh in on this explanation?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:24 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

stop bum lickin' the mods!!!!!!!

noob!!!! first learn your Internet terms & acronyms! then learn how to e-fight!!!

internet noob - we won't forget the NOOB questions you asked a few weeks ago
Lol... e-fight? You serious? What noob question? Dude I don't care. Why you mad about this internet shit? Calm your ass down. What question? If it was funny then laff at me I don't care...lol...u need to mellow out! You are like waayyy too uptight about this GM shit!

But hell, if it makes you feel better, go ahead and attack me...if it's funny I'll laff too!

Damn...you actually said e-fight!
Old 01-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ggesq
Get the GM fluid and see the difference.
Synchromesh! Nuff said
Old 01-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Registered VTEC junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've tried the GM synchromesh and Amsoil for the trans fluid. The Amsoil is a lot better than the GM sh*t.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:56 AM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Gm Synchromesh Fluid.....$9 Bucks A Quart....

Labor For Fluid Change.....free...i Work At The Damn Dealership...

Having 3rd Gear Catch Everytime....priceless....so Far So Good I Guess...its Been About 20 Degrees Outside...and It Still Catches Smooth....i Could Even Put It Into First Without Having To Come To A Complete Stop...
Old 01-21-2008, 05:13 AM
Registered Member

I haven't seen/spoken to her in about 7.5 years, she disowned her children back in 2001!

so, to answer your question, nope!

LOL! Great answer! Glad you showed a sense of humor there.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:20 AM
Registered Member

I leave for work around 4:45am every day. This morning when I went into my study to grab my keys and things, I checked the outside temperature (I have one of those remove wireless units for inside/outside weather info) and it was 9.5 degrees. In my garage, it was 26 degrees. I wanted to pay strict attention to my gearbox behavior under these conditions so that I could report on this thread what I found.

From the moment I backed out of my garage (about 45 seconds after starting the engine), the shifting action was smooth and as expected with no notchiness, grinding, or sluggishness. In other words, the cold temps had no affect on its operation whatsoever. The same held true all the way into work.

Quick Reply: I hate that 6 Speed (speaking my mind)