Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I guess this is growing up

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 02:19 PM
i am trying to believe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess this is growing up

Guess it's time to break the news to all. I'm selling my 05 Acura A-Spec so I can start to save $$$ for my first new house with my future wife. I broke down and bought an SUV that I can do some work to (to keep my self occupied). It sucks but I guess it's all for the better. I am selling off the stock tires, shocks, etc. that came with the car and not installed due to the A-Spec package (see black market). Anyway, it's been fun and thanks for all your help with the car ... I do wish everyone the best.

~ Bryan D. Good
Old 10-25-2005, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by iambgood
Guess it's time to break the news to all. I'm selling my 05 Acura A-Spec so I can start to save $$$ for my first new house with my future wife. I broke down and bought an SUV that I can do some work to (to keep my self occupied). It sucks but I guess it's all for the better. I am selling off the stock tires, shocks, etc. that came with the car and not installed due to the A-Spec package (see black market). Anyway, it's been fun and thanks for all your help with the car ... I do wish everyone the best.

~ Bryan D. Good
Hey Bryan you doing it for all the right reasons bro. Take care and check in with us every once and a while....
Old 10-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Banned

to your future

seems to be alot of people leaving the TL community lately?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:34 PM
"Joe Cool"

That is a very mature decision and your doing it for a good reason.

Once you get some equity in your house you can use it to buy another TL or any other car you desire at the time.
(maybe they will have an AWD model by then)

Your making a smart move.

If I had to pick between a house or a car... no doubt House comes first.

Good luck
Old 10-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Bryan,

Sorry to see you go, however your photos will always be on the ABP Team page. Good luck to ya and hopefully we'll see you in an AWD TL in the future.

ABP Team President
Old 10-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bryan, very wise choice. Planning for the future is much more important. Good Luck to you and your future bride. Stay on board tho and keep us abreast of the happenings........
Old 10-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Bryan,

I'm right around the corner from you in Ashburn. I know what you mean, as house prices around here is rediculous and you'll need every bit of it. Enjoy your SUV. What did you get? An MDX?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Instructor

~ Bryan D. Good
Sorry you had to sell the TL, but this will be one of many sacrifices you will make once you get married. No more hangin out with the guys, no more strip clubs, no more pro sports, no more working out at the gym, no more video games. Instead you will be going to more weddings, baby showers, her mother's house on Sunday, doing your share of the laundry, washing dishes, cooking, more cuddling. Wow, whew, wake up, that's my life. Hope you won't suffer like me. J/K, sort of...
Old 10-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Advanced

~ Bryan D. Good
As some have already mentioned, this is a wise move. There is light at the end of the tunnel however. I have a wife, a huge mortgage, an 18 month old son and a daughter on the way, and I have just ordered a 2006 6MT TL. You *do* need to get the other stuff in life set up first. There will always be sweet cars to buy, and they will probably be easier to afford later in life.

Respect, and good luck.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

quick question though - if you're concerned about your finances, why buy an SUV that likely has bad gas mileage?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:02 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree I don't see an SUV as a family car (even tho they are marketed as such) but good luck and im sure you will have a great future with your family.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
g' luck with ur future....... but i still dont see why........... it's not that good financially; if it's used only a little bit and it's the same year, the resale value is still going down

anyway, good luck, hope for teh best

acuraluvr
Old 10-26-2005, 07:41 AM
i am trying to believe

thanks all, yes it sucks, but i will have another one someday. And actually my girl is okay with the strip club, "dudes night out", and video games. hell she wants me to teach her how to play madden. (see why I want to marry her )

to answer the SUV question. I got the thing for $16,000 with only 17k miles on it (this dropeed car/insurance payments by more than half). Decent gas mileage, but with a few tweaks I can pull more out of it. Also, the decision for an SUV and not another car was 1. i can fit more crap into it, 2. more room for my dog, 3. all condition driving (my girl has a honda right now, and I would rather me driving her to the metro with what little snow we get up here than her driving by herself), and 4 ... So far ... with a flowmaster/soundsystem/and tint added, it will be a decent ride (don't worry though, I'm using the $$$ I am getting selling off the Acura parts for that). No sense spending ALL the money I was going to save.

I will definitely stay in touch and put my in where needed. But thanks to all for the advice and help with the Acura.

~ B.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Pro

~ Bryan D. Good
Hey man, as much as like care just like the next the guy, I'll take a house over any car, any day, investment wise. You made the right move.

Just think of it this way: you can do much more to a house and sell it for more than what you paid for it, guaranteed, than what you can do to a car.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Unhappy

Hate to be the barer of bad news...

Too bad it is NEVER a good financial move to sell a new car. You just lost $3000 in sales tax you paid when you bought it. Plus you just lost $5000 in first year depreciation by SELLING it. So your LOSS on this decision is $8000, less whatever insurance savings you say you will recoup.

Better move would have been to not buy the TL in the first place and buy the used SUV from jump if you knew you really need an SUV for business & dog. How exactly you will save $$$ based on this series of transactions is NOT clear.

But good luck nonetheless with your marriage and it sounds like you have your intentions in the right place.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:36 PM
i am trying to believe

Originally Posted by Twenties
Hate to be the barer of bad news...

Too bad it is NEVER a good financial move to sell a new car. You just lost $3000 in sales tax you paid when you bought it. Plus you just lost $5000 in first year depreciation by SELLING it. So your LOSS on this decision is $8000, less whatever insurance savings you say you will recoup.

Better move would have been to not buy the TL in the first place and buy the used SUV from jump if you knew you really need an SUV for business & dog. How exactly you will save $$$ based on this series of transactions is NOT clear.

But good luck nonetheless with your marriage and it sounds like you have your intentions in the right place.
This is all a VERY good point, however when I did buy the TL, I hadn't been with this girl for too long; and I sure as hell wasn't thinking that down the road I would be getting married to her. When I bought it I only had myself to look after; however now, I am looking out for not only myself, but for her, our dog and our future. If I would have known then what I know now ... I would have definitely bought the SUV instead (but i guess we can all say that about a lot of things). Anyway, her dad, who works for the company, helped me get a good price on it when I bought it ... so now I am not upside down on it all that much. Thankfully.

~ B.

p.s. sweet looking TL
Old 10-26-2005, 01:48 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SUV is cool, I love SUVs...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:40 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

~ Bryan D. Good
Ahhhh yes, it sucks to be responsible. Fear not Bryan, give yourself time for kids, college tuition, and all the rest of the neat things life will throw at you and relax. Then comes middle age, kids will be gone, it will then be time to treat yourself to another fun car (or two). Good luck!
Old 10-27-2005, 05:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm so the TL is a car for the irresponsible huh!!!! I will say that he did not keep it for long... One reason to buy a car you can afford even when life changes since you can take a huge hit for a slightly used car. Maybe next time around he can keep his 12th gen car a bit longer.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:14 AM
i am trying to believe

Originally Posted by mickey3c
Hmm so the TL is a car for the irresponsible huh!!!! I will say that he did not keep it for long... One reason to buy a car you can afford even when life changes since you can take a huge hit for a slightly used car. Maybe next time around he can keep his 12th gen car a bit longer.
Mickey ... ... this "life change" is in no way forcing me to make this decision, I am choosing to do so in order to save a lot for a down payment on a house and my future. If you lived around the NOVA area, you would know that a house around here costs a small fortune. By the way, I make more than enough to afford the TL, thanks
Old 10-28-2005, 08:58 AM
"Joe Cool"

Originally Posted by timnguyen9
Bryan,

I'm right around the corner from you in Ashburn. I know what you mean, as house prices around here is rediculous and you'll need every bit of it.
What does, let's say a 5 bd. 3 ba. - 2800 Sq. Ft. house run in that area?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:10 AM
"Joe Cool"

Mickey ... ... this "life change" is in no way forcing me to make this decision, I am choosing to do so in order to save a lot for a down payment on a house and my future. If you lived around the NOVA area, you would know that a house around here costs a small fortune. By the way, I make more than enough to afford the TL, thanks
I think your doing the right thing!

And I suspect if you had powers to read into the Future, you would use them to make ungodly amounts of Money so that the car you bought wouldn't even matter.

We all make changes it's what life is all about.
Good Luck.

How much for the house?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:29 AM
i am trying to believe

Originally Posted by 1sweetTL
What does, let's say a 5 bd. 3 ba. - 2800 Sq. Ft. house run in that area?
Let's see ... for Ashburn, VA (20147) a 5bd 3.5 ba house = $674,990 (http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1052763852) ... built in 1990

ofcourse if you want a newer house .. 5bd 3.5 ba house built in 2000 = $999,000
(http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1048447785)

I'm thinking of moving to NC before I get the house ... MUCH cheaper down there.

~ B.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it's not growing up it's called changing priorities.... is all. The person wants to invest in a toy box and later go ofter the toys... lol Not cheap where I live either with monthly prop tax at 6 bills.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Let's see ... for Ashburn, VA (20147) a 5bd 3.5 ba house = $674,990 (http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1052763852) ... built in 1990

ofcourse if you want a newer house .. 5bd 3.5 ba house built in 2000 = $999,000
(http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1048447785)

I'm thinking of moving to NC before I get the house ... MUCH cheaper down there.

~ B.
Those homes are a lot bigger than 2800 sq ft. And are a bargain in California (Bay Area).
Old 10-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Advanced

Real Estate in NOVA

Hey... I know where you're coming from. I just got my TL, bought my own townhouse here in Ashburn, and am also a licensed Realtor. I wish you the best of luck and yes, you're definitely making the right decision, especially in NOVA. Even with the market cooling somewhat, the return will pay for another TL in 6-8 months. If you ever need any help or guidance through the process, PM me. I'll be glad to help.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:14 AM
i am trying to believe

Originally Posted by anthracite06TLNAV
Hey... I know where you're coming from. I just got my TL, bought my own townhouse here in Ashburn, and am also a licensed Realtor. I wish you the best of luck and yes, you're definitely making the right decision, especially in NOVA. Even with the market cooling somewhat, the return will pay for another TL in 6-8 months. If you ever need any help or guidance through the process, PM me. I'll be glad to help.
My rental lease is up (for the last time) next October, till then it's save save save ... But will definitely keep your name until then.

Thanks,
~ b.