Old 04-04-2010, 09:11 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
ouchhh...
Old 04-04-2010, 09:24 PM
† equals ☺

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Souljah
1) Well I know I don't enjoy it when ppl crap up threads. Being a hypocrite was not intended.
2) Now is a good time to meet a sexy lady on campus with a car.
3) Yeah I've noticed my driving needs to be toned down a notch.
4) Drew Sidora-Nguyen sounds more appropriate

So does the guy in the very back cover your car's insurance? Correct me if i'm wrong but it's the one in back of you that cover's your insurance/car.
What someone told me was that they'll probably go after the insurance of last car in the wreck, behind the hit and run person, but who knows. I'll contact my insurance agent tomorrow and see what he recommends.

And uh, there's hardly any "sexy ladies" on campus here LOL. They're a rarity.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
^I know it's what taught in "driver's ed" but not a law in CO.
It's more of an unwritten rule.
That's the point I'm trying to make.

I'll be surprised if it's written law in any state. Too much bogus info gets touted without support or verification. Bottom line to the OP, I don't believe there is any "safe following" distance specified by law that can help you or be used against you in this accident. I believe most state laws indicate that you must allow enough room to stop, but do not legally define what that distance is. Think about it, it would be very tough to put something like that into law.

The fact is, you stopped in time. The others didn't. Therefore, by default, you allowed enough room. The others didn't. Win for the OP...(relatively speaking).

Last edited by nfnsquared; 04-04-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Racer

So let me get the story straight.... your foot was welded onto the floor and the TL braked in time? The car behind you was not so lucky.

But I guess you were following too close to the one in front of you hence slamming the brakes? Now couldn't this have been avoided if you did what crestwood implies in the perfect world... to keep a distance? This way you could have slowly stopped and tapped your brakes to indicate to the person following you that you are coming to a stop?

What I'm getting at is:
the TL stops great or "on a dime"
BUT (myself included) forget that other cars are not as great. I tend to wait to the last second to brake and this is a total asshole move.
I agree. You have to be a defensive driver. When I am braking and I have someone riding my ass for some weird reason, I tap on the breaks once or twice and then begin to slow down. It's called defensive driving. Plus a rear end, even if its not your fault, will result in your car receiving the punishment.

In the case of the OP. The car is not totalled. Not by a long shot.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^I know it's what taught in "driver's ed" but not a law in CO.
It's more of an unwritten rule.
Agreed. Driver's Ed will tell a brand new driver that IF they drive "so and so" distance with a gap in between, there should be plenty of time to brake to prevent an accident which is okay for a rookie but once your average driver matures and obtains a better understanding of their vehicle's ability, that space will shorten. Not recklessly shorter but just to point where they feel comfortable. If there was a required amount of space that had to be followed, good or bad weather, cops would never stop handing out tickets. And if this was an actual law, automakers would have started a long time ago placing sensors on our front bumpers warning the driver when they exceeded the maximum car lengths required for safe driving conditions. Unless this happened directly beneath a traffic cam or the driver was making a complete spectacle of themselves, there is no way a police officer would get a straight story on how close each car was to one another because what's deemed a safe distance to your average driver who makes a commute on this stretch of road daily may be seen as way too close by grandpa and grandma with the grandkids in the back seat or those parents bringing that new born baby home for the first time.

What it all boils down to is whether the OP was 4 car lengths behind or only 1, he factored in the weather conditions and the change in traffic with his style of driving and reacted accordingly, avoiding the car in front of him. Could the OP may have done MORE on his part to prevent the accident all together? Maybe, but unless you constantly find yourself in situations where you're conditioned to make quick-second choices in an instant, the OP assessed what any regular driver takes into account: self-preservation of their life and what's valuable to them i.e. his car. The hit-and-runner likely only seeked self-preservations from the police and from we know, has zero value in the car which probably means it was stolen. The careless idiot behind that car was just an idiot. Though I hope they're not held liable for the hit-and-runner's car since they fled the scene.

Anyway, sorry for your rough weekend, man.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:00 PM
other

sorry about that car. good that you are ok
Old 04-05-2010, 12:39 PM
5th Gear

bad accident...
Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 PM
05 TL NBP 6spd S front

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
We lost another one
Whats with all this crashes
Old 04-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Darn!

That sucks bro. I had the same thing happen to me late last year, except mine was more on the driver's side. Smashed bumper, taillight, trunk, rear-end frame cross-member... The repair bill came out to $4k.

Sadly, I had to take the car back FOUR times, and after two bumpers, the car still isn't right. Never will be sadly... They had the car three weeks the first time, and 1.5 weeks the last time. It really sucks, but things just won't line up in the rear. The bumper is off, the taillights are off. They did the best they could with it, but it is what it is at this point.

Regardless, sorry to hear about your ride. Hopefully they fix it right!