Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got $800 off in So Cal.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 03:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I got $800 off in So Cal.

I am new to this forum and after reading what people had to say about the TL I took my wife to test drive one and she loved it, so last night she is a happy owner of a 04 Nighthawk Blk. with Camel and Navi we bought it at Weir Canyon Acura and our sales person was Kelli she gave us $800 off MSRP we did have to get their protection package at $595 which is mud guards, wheel locks, and the trunk trey but she even took $300 off the package to make it $295 so far we are very happy with the car and purchase.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:36 PM
3rd Gear

Congrats on your new car, ours should be here in about a week. That package that your dealer was charging you (originally) $595 for is only worth right at $295 retail for the items mentioned so they just jacked the price up and then came in with a "discount" to make it look like a great deal, which it is not.

Still if you did want those items anyhow, it is not bad. They can discount more IF you buy ad ons for the car which in part you did. The tactics sales people use are pretty discusting but it is hard to get around them.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Re: I got $800 off in So Cal.

Originally posted by bkj1s
I am new to this forum and after reading what people had to say about the TL I took my wife to test drive one and she loved it, so last night she is a happy owner of a 04 Nighthawk Blk. with Camel and Navi we bought it at Weir Canyon Acura and our sales person was Kelli she gave us $800 off MSRP we did have to get their protection package at $595 which is mud guards, wheel locks, and the trunk trey but she even took $300 off the package to make it $295 so far we are very happy with the car and purchase.
Congrats on your new car.
I bet Kellis is a pretty good sales... Just wanna let you know..
Mud guards are sold on ebay for 65USD + Wheel locks are 25USD and trunk tray is 70USD. (all of them are brand new and Acura parts)
So, shop around before you go to dealer.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Racer

Even if he paid retail for the accessories, he still got $800 off of MSRP, which is better than many people got.

Sounds like the price dam is starting to break. I may have to head back out to Weir Canyon tomorrow and see what they have available...
Old 11-15-2003, 11:47 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wheres weir canyon i bought my 2nd gen at Sierra Acura in alhambra
Old 11-16-2003, 12:03 AM
Racer

Originally posted by SeCsTaC
Wheres weir canyon i bought my 2nd gen at Sierra Acura in alhambra
Just off the 91 at the Weir Canyon Road exit.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:32 AM
6th Gear

SeCsTaC,

How was your buying experience at Sierra, Alhambra? I've been there a couple of times to look at the TSX and TL. No pressure whatsoever and the salespeople were willing to discuss the cars and availability -- was able to walk away with a simple, "thanks for the information." Haven't gotten to the sales stage, so I don't know if they play those "add on" games.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:46 AM
10th Gear

Re: Re: I got $800 off in So Cal.

Originally posted by zima76
Congrats on your new car.
I bet Kellis is a pretty good sales... Just wanna let you know..
Mud guards are sold on ebay for 65USD + Wheel locks are 25USD and trunk tray is 70USD. (all of them are brand new and Acura parts)
So, shop around before you go to dealer.
Yes you are right I could have bought that stuff much cheaper but I would'nt have a car. It's kind of sad that some dealers will not sell you a car unless you buy their stuff.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Racer

Re: Re: Re: I got $800 off in So Cal.

Yes you are right I could have bought that stuff much cheaper but I would'nt have a car. It's kind of sad that some dealers will not sell you a car unless you buy their stuff.
They wouldn't sell you the car unless you buy their stuff? Are you sure about this? Or perhaps you meant they wouldn't give you $800 off MSRP unless you purchased their accessories at retail price?
Still, I think you've yourself a great deal since most people in this forum who bought the TL paid MSRP.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:44 AM
10th Gear

Re: Re: Re: Re: I got $800 off in So Cal.

Originally posted by lamster
They wouldn't sell you the car unless you buy their stuff? Are you sure about this? Or perhaps you meant they wouldn't give you $800 off MSRP unless you purchased their accessories at retail price?
Still, I think you've yourself a great deal since most people in this forum who bought the TL paid MSRP.
Well when I called to say that we were comming down to look at the car I told her that I just wanted the price with the $800 off and no other mark ups and her answer to me was well we do required people to buy the prtection package at $595 but I think I can get it for you for $295.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

I noticed that a couple of Acura dealers are not charging anything extra for the protection package. Downey Acura (sorry, not totally sure about the name) had it on their window as a no-charge set of items, and Keyes Acura told me they would include the items. I ended up leasing mine at Cerritos Acura because they were the first to come up with a WDP with Quartz and Navi.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:31 AM
DNA
Instructor

My salesman said something interesting. Not sure if it is true. He said that Acura punishes dealers who sell cars below MSRP by reducing the number of high-demand cars Acura ships to them. Anyone else heard this?
Old 11-16-2003, 04:52 PM
3rd Gear

Went over to Keyes Acura in North Hollywood yesterday where they had an Abyss Blue Pearl with Camel interior, Auto and Nav.

Really wanted this color but the Camel interior is just weird looking. They have a silver with ebony interior, auto and nav coming in about 10 days and after much haggling I ended up getting this car for $1000 under MSRP - $34,195. No other dealer extras included as this is coming right off the truck.

Sales GM said only way he was able to discount this car was becuase the had sold 15 cars that day so mgmt couldn't get pissed at him.

Decided to lease the car and this is where they tried to make their money back. Sent the salesman back 5 times because their "math" didn't work out. Weird thing I saw was that American Honda Finance has the residual on this car with nav for 36 months at 59% and non-nav at 61%. Money factor was .00220 because term was under 42 months otherwise would have been .00210.

Ended up paying only drive off fees (1800.00). Lease is 36 months, 12K per year and 539.04 per month including tax.

Price was good but if you go - bring your calculator and wear your CPA hat.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:30 PM
Racer

Originally posted by DNA
My salesman said something interesting. Not sure if it is true. He said that Acura punishes dealers who sell cars below MSRP by reducing the number of high-demand cars Acura ships to them. Anyone else heard this?

Why would Acura care what the dealer sells his cars for? If anything, Acura should like it better if dealers sell at lower prices since that means higher sales volume.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by frugger
Went over to Keyes Acura in North Hollywood yesterday where they had an Abyss Blue Pearl with Camel interior, Auto and Nav.

Sales GM said only way he was able to discount this car was becuase the had sold 15 cars that day so mgmt couldn't get pissed at him.

Price was good but if you go - bring your calculator and wear your CPA hat.
Was the sales manager at Keyes a short, skinny balding guy named Dan?
Old 11-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Racer

dan isn't short..or at least he doesnt seem short..haha
Old 11-17-2003, 07:16 PM
3rd Gear

Yep - That's the guy.

But not short.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:25 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by fuque

Why would Acura care what the dealer sells his cars for? If anything, Acura should like it better if dealers sell at lower prices since that means higher sales volume.
They would care because the value and popularity of the car would go down. And than the car would be in troubles like GM an Fords cars are, with rebates and rebates cuz no one would buy them for msrp..

This is true and if a dealership does to much of this, Acura will lower there allotment of shipments.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by 2004TL
They would care because the value and popularity of the car would go down. And than the car would be in troubles like GM an Fords cars are, with rebates and rebates cuz no one would buy them for msrp..

This is true and if a dealership does to much of this, Acura will lower there allotment of shipments.
Wrong. It's all about supply and demand........ period. That's the way any unregulated market works. A month ago, according to posts in this forum, dealers were commanding prices over sticker. That's because the were very few cars to go around and buyers who couldn't wait. Already we are hearing stories of discounts on non-navi TLs because they aren't selling as fast as Acura thought. This is a mass production car, not some handbuilt exotic built in very limited quantities. It costs dealers money to keep them unsold on their lot so you betcha they will be willing to deal to keep them moving. Everyone in this forum knows the TL is a fine car but I'd be thrilled silly if the general public thought that the TL was an overpriced reskinned Accord and were selling poorly because the prices would come down.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:16 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by RM44341
Wrong. It's all about supply and demand........ period. That's the way any unregulated market works. A month ago, according to posts in this forum, dealers were commanding prices over sticker. That's because the were very few cars to go around and buyers who couldn't wait. Already we are hearing stories of discounts on non-navi TLs because they aren't selling as fast as Acura thought. This is a mass production car, not some handbuilt exotic built in very limited quantities. It costs dealers money to keep them unsold on their lot so you betcha they will be willing to deal to keep them moving. Everyone in this forum knows the TL is a fine car but I'd be thrilled silly if the general public thought that the TL was an overpriced reskinned Accord and were selling poorly because the prices would come down.
What I meant is, if a car like the 2004 TL is in demand and theres lines of customers and when the car can be sold for MSRP but the salesmen is a idiot and decides to sell the car under even though he well knows the next person will pay MSRP, than Companies get mad, Dealer Managers get mad. They dont make as much as money as they would, so if I sell the car under, than Acura gets Pissed and gives me less cars, which makes me sell the cars for more cuz I have less of them and they are in demand.

I hope you understand what I am saying, and this Definitely happens, its like a violation of the agreement between the dealership and the company.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:23 AM
Racer

Dealer allcations are based on sales volume, not selling price. The more cars a dealer sells, the more cars he will get. The only way selling price figures into the calculation is that dealers know they can sell more cars if they lower their price.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:56 AM
Instructor

From Dan Carlton Keyes Acura

I decided to check on this website because a few of the clients I have helped suggested I do so. I have been the Sales Manager at Keyes Acura for over 5 years and I welcome any member to call me directly at my office at 818-907-4103. Inventory levels on the new 2004 Tl have become much better lately. Most colors are available. Navigation Tl's are a little harder to find currently but in the next few months that should get better as well. So why am I here tonight leaving this message..One. I have found over the years that I may not sell everyone a car but most of the dealers will be pretty close no matter where you go if you are educated on the market and I am open to answer questions even if I do not get the sale. 2) I have found recently that if I have the color and model I can usually make the deal anyway. and 3) we have the biggest inventory so just out of the amount of product we get I can fit most offers. To answer an earlier post dealers are not punished for discounting the cars. and our allocation is not based on that. Most Manufacturers have a turn and earn policy. (more you sell more you get) (I have seen many post's in here about who the biggest volume dealer is in LA)..Truth.. we are..have been 3 years in a row. all a client has to do is call American Honda to find that out. 3 years to be exact. and also a Precision Team Dealer 2 Years running . So consider this an invitation to see if I can be competitive. or consider this to call me to ask me a question about current programs that us "dealer guys" can offer you. Bottom line all the information you can arm yourself with as a consumer will only help you make your buying decision.. Dan at Keyes Acura or dcarlton@keyescars.com and by the way I like the earlier post..but to clear it up a little I am almost 6 foot..so not short..but I have no comeback for the slightly balding statement..until next time Dan
Old 11-22-2003, 09:43 AM
Racer

Re: I got $800 off in So Cal.

Inspired by your experience, I also went to Weir Canyon Acura and spoke with Kelli. When I asked for the same deal you'd received, she looked a bit sheepish and said she'd "gotten in trouble" for offering you that deal. She said you'd originally come in looking at a TSX, and when you switched to the TL she accidentally offered you the standard TSX discount instead of the standard TL discount (which is $300 off MSRP). She said the sales manager honored the deal, but would be unlikely to let another one go at so low a price. We also spoke briefly with the sales manager, and he didn't offer us any encouragement, either.

At any rate, they didn't have the color we wanted in stock, so we left. Turns out that was a good thing, because we picked up the combo we wanted (White/Quartz/Navi) at Acura of Mission Viejo for $800 under MSRP with no required accessory purchase (although I did buy a LoJack and got a free set of wheel locks thrown in). It was a genuine pleasure doing business with them. My salesman's name is Ivor - look him up if you want a good deal and a pleasant buying experience.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:00 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuque, what did the license, tax, and registration run? And were there any other fees in there?

I'm trying to do a monthly payment calculation. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2003, 01:47 AM
10th Gear

Re: Re: I got $800 off in So Cal.

Originally posted by fuque
Inspired by your experience, I also went to Weir Canyon Acura and spoke with Kelli. When I asked for the same deal you'd received, she looked a bit sheepish and said she'd "gotten in trouble" for offering you that deal. She said you'd originally come in looking at a TSX, and when you switched to the TL she accidentally offered you the standard TSX discount instead of the standard TL discount (which is $300 off MSRP). She said the sales manager honored the deal, but would be unlikely to let another one go at so low a price. We also spoke briefly with the sales manager, and he didn't offer us any encouragement, either.

At any rate, they didn't have the color we wanted in stock, so we left. Turns out that was a good thing, because we picked up the combo we wanted (White/Quartz/Navi) at Acura of Mission Viejo for $800 under MSRP with no required accessory purchase (although I did buy a LoJack and got a free set of wheel locks thrown in). It was a genuine pleasure doing business with them. My salesman's name is Ivor - look him up if you want a good deal and a pleasant buying experience.
Kelli has been telling her boss and now you that I tricked her, she sent me and email saying great news I can get you $1000 off MSRP on a TSX I called her and said my wife and I are also interested in a TL so I asked what kind of deal can I get for one, her quote to me was I usually don't do this but I will get for you for $800 but don't tell anyone so I went down to get it, I think she was surprised that I took her up on the offer, and also if you think about it if I tricked her I should have got the car for $1000 off MSRP, but any ways congrats on your TL
Old 11-23-2003, 10:40 AM
Racer

Re: Re: Re: I got $800 off in So Cal.

Kelli has been telling her boss and now you that I tricked her
I don't believe for a minute that you tricked anybody. Even if Kelli made a mistake, that sales manager was definitely a slick professional, and there's no way in hell he would have agreed to your deal if he felt he was being screwed. I took it for what it was - just a bunch of BS to try and con me into paying more.