Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feel so stupid!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fant0m_TL
if this dude was DRUNK the OP would have known. he wouldnt need to come to a message board and have people who A) he dosent know (and visa versa) and B) tell him what a drunk person looks like.

even if youve never seen a drunk person before, you know that a drunk person dosen't act normal... so i have a feeling if this dude REALLY was tanked like its being made out to be, then the OP would have instinctivley known that the dude was too messed up to drive - im talking a couple drinks. 2 beers for a 6 foot 2 180lb guy is nothing more than coolaid. what is a decent limit varies for everyone, but the law is .08. i dont care if he is a .07 - thats not illegal.
not to play devil's advocate or anything, but as you stated most of us don't know the OP so we can't really say how much "common sense" he has. ill give him the benefit of the doubt though and ill agree with you. but tbh i think that even the people that have "common sense" can still be naive. considering that the OP didnt have an Breathalyzer on him, him being under the influence is quite subjective.

however even though your underage im sure you know that even a couple of drinks can decrease your reaction time significantly. im just entirely against having a couple of drinks and getting behind the wheel. i have a friend who got behind the wheel of his TL after just a couple of drinks (he was totally coherent), but he slammed into a wall in a tunnel and ended up killing one his passengers. that passenger was his best friend. now imagine that, you killing your best friend just because you decided to drive after having a couple of drinks. yes im sure many of you will say that this is a worst case scenario or close to it and yes it is, but im sure that even all the youngins in this thread would have a totally different opinion if the dude in the bentley crashed into the store, or got into an accident after he pulled out of the lot. point of the matter is, you never know whats going to happen and from what the OP has described (the bad parking, the long meaningless convo with the clerk, and so on) he may not have been drunk, but he was not in the right state of mind so it is quite possible that he should not have been driving. calling the cops might have been harmless..if the dude was not drunk the cops would have not have even worried about it and would have taken care of the accident report if the OP wanted to file one. if the OP didnt he could have said that they were going to work it out on the side and everyone could have been on their way. HOWEVER, if the the driver was over the legal limit, the cops would have taken care of that situation and possibly saved some lives in the process.

like i said in my last post, thankfully no one got hurt and the OP will have learned from this experience.

**no offense fant0m_TL, im not trying to get at you or any of the other posters..
Old 01-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by playa4real
**no offense fant0m_TL, im not trying to get at you or any of the other posters..
none taken at all, and i really appreciate the way you went about stating your . it was respectful and well thought-out.

one more thing to take into consideration is the guy did come back and tell the OP... shit, he could have just taken off ... gotta wonder - would a drunk person take the time to do that? but its hard to say - we werent there and the situation is easy to form an opinion on what should have happened from an arm chair.

thanks again playa4real - i like the fact that even if we dont agree - which im not saying we do/dont - it was done in an awesome way.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:12 PM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=fant0m_TL]

2 beers for a 6 foot 2 180lb guy is nothing more than coolaid. what is a decent limit varies for everyone, but the law is .08. i dont care if he is a .07 - thats not illegal.

True he may not be illegal but cant he still get a ticket for driving intoxicated ?
I am just asking cause I think he can just not sure...
Old 01-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=05_AcuraTL_ASPEC]

2 beers for a 6 foot 2 180lb guy is nothing more than coolaid. what is a decent limit varies for everyone, but the law is .08. i dont care if he is a .07 - thats not illegal.

True he may not be illegal but cant he still get a ticket for driving intoxicated ?
I am just asking cause I think he can just not sure...
I dont think so, not for driving because .08 is the legal limit. it could be .0799999999 and he can't get in trouble.

im not a cop but this is what i THINK is the case..
Old 01-05-2008, 03:21 PM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok just asking...
Old 01-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dude instead of coming to the boards and flaming people why dont you shut your 25 year old ass up. ur freakin 5 years older than me - like u know a whole helluva lot more.

what it has to do with is calling the cops - whether he should have or shouldnt have after being hit. quit causing controversy and shut the hell up - its members of this forum like you that make this a hard place to get what we all came here for - enjoyment of our cars to to learn more.

Just chill man, all ive seen you do (since ive come back to this site because of members like YOU) is flame this guy. "growing up" stfu dude he told everyone he wasnt drunk... he was ACTING like it. the initial post made it seem like he was tanked, but then the OP came back and corrected this.

instead of letting the fuse to your tampon get lit with fire take a couple deep breaths. i understand you got hit by a drunk driver. guess what? so did one of my best friends. know where he is? sitting in his wheel chair playing World of Warcraft because he lost his football scholarship. dont come to these boards acting like you know a thing or two because something happened.

just relax and have a good time.
Wow okay dude. First off yes I did get hit by a drunk driver, yes your friend is lucky to be playing warcraft.....because my twin sister died in my ordeal. The guys bac was .09, so your argument about the test is mute to me, because being impaired is being impaired no matter what you score.

But back to the point, I think that if you let someone on the roads that you think is drunk you are just as much to blame as that individual if something happens.

Not trying to argue with you, I said what I said because your post didn't have anything to do with a drunk driver. I say grow up since your view of "snitching" on someone who is endangering everyone on the road is just ignorant. Anyone with common sense would agree.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
It's over with- move on. You know better for next time.

If it was me and taking in all of the circumstances that YOU provided: (1) bad parking, (2) time of day/night- 4am (3) "looks" under the influence e.g. bloodshot eyes (4) rambling on and on to the clerk (5) drunken apology - I would have called the cops. I would have waited and let law enforcement do their investigation and let the pro's determine whether or not he was impaired enough to drive.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

I dont think so, not for driving because .08 is the legal limit. it could be .0799999999 and he can't get in trouble.

im not a cop but this is what i THINK is the case..
Not get into trouble? That's not necessarily true. In Florida, if someone blows .04 or lower, there is a presumption that the driver is not impaired. If they blow between .05 & .08 there is a rebuttable presumption that the individual is impaired. If they blow .08 or higher, there is a presumption that the driver is impaired. Obviously, these legal principles *might" vary state to state.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Wow, i didn't think this thread would become like this, i just want to clarify a few things

first of all, i want to thank everyone for there input. i would also like to point out the fact that i was not the one that called the cops, the store clerk called the cops because he thought there was an accident and i asked him to be aware that the cops might need to be called.

second of all, what the guy did to my car, is nothing shy of scratching the front lip spoiler on the side, which i don't think most of you understand was already scratched and he thought he scratched up my car real bad. He didn't hit my car, he accidentally backed into it.

third of all, i would like to clarify with most of you, i have done my share of drinking, and i surely know the difference between someone who has had a little to drink, someone who has had a a decent amount to drink, and someone who is completely hammered. This guy wasn't bouncing all over the place, i exaggerated in my original post because it was very early in the morning so on and so forth. But i can assure you he wasn't plastered. He was your typical happy drunk and although he was driving which is typically something you shouldn't do. I feel that its not my place to step in and get this man in trouble. I could probably compare his level of intoxication (from what i observed) to someone who was just really tired. because there are studies that show that driving while tired is just as dangerous and driving while intoxicated. There are a lot of things that factor into making a decision like this one.

The guy was clearly not going to be a douche bag, he kindly came inside and told me that he accidentally nicked my car and offered to pay for the scratches that he thought he caused but in actuallity he just added a few scratches. Not a big deal, He offered to write me a check, but i told him not to its not a big deal, its just a few scratches. He was very nice about it, he offered to go through insurance if i wanted it that way. he was not in any way acting like a belligerant(sp?) idiot. Now if he was able to drive well enough to get home, i couldn't tell you. Had someone asked me to write down my answer i would probably say yes, i think he could have been perfectly fine at 4 in the morning when there are no cars on the road and he lived in town.

just like it has been argued there are 2 sides to the story, i understand both sides, i feel terrible for you guys who had friends die in car accidents caused by drunk drivers. i hope i would never have to encounter something like that, but given my situation, i think giving him up to the cops was the wrong thing to do in my opinion. But my opinion only is based off of my observations. I figured because he was around 40-45 old, he was content with himself, and the fact that he had the decency to come back into the store and notify me about what happened, i feel that letting him do his thing was the decent thing to do in my situation.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

i would also like to add that the title of the thread doesn't pertain to me feeling stupid about letting him drive away, i felt stupid i didn't get any money out of the whole ordeal.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

talk about doing a 180 in story telling......
Old 01-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

things just got a little out of hand and people jumped to conclusions
Old 01-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
well if you're happy with what you did, then that's good. I would've taken the check and used it to repaint the lip.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1

I go inside, i see some guy who is clearly under the influence or intoxicated talking to the clerk telling him about bullshit he doesn't really care about.

...So being that he was drunk i was a bit quirky about the situation and i kindly asked the clerk to call the police because i thought he rammed my car.

.....and the guy keeps apologizing in a drunken manner with his eyes all bloodshot

I felt bad because if the cops came this guy would have been arrested

Yeah, quite a 180 on the drunk story.....and you clearly state it was you who asked that the police be called.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:47 PM
3.2 VTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mastervtec
Do you realize how stupid you sound? Until you have watched an innocent person die because of a drunk driver, kindly shut the hell up.
your thinking too shallow...sorry

its all about timing, what if when he sees the cops ariving he flees off and hits sum1 then? you don't know what he'll do....

when running from the police ppl do the most wreckless and dangerous manouvers, vs if he's just driving carefully chanses are that he'll be more likely to kill some1 when running....then how wud you feel?

point is you can never know what'll happen next, 1 second delay could mean life and death from your part, like a t-bone on an intersection, a split second cuz make the 2 cars never collide....what if what if
Old 01-05-2008, 06:47 PM
3.2 VTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mastervtec
Do you realize how stupid you sound? Until you have watched an innocent person die because of a drunk driver, kindly shut the hell up.
your thinking too shallow...sorry

its all about timing, what if when he sees the cops ariving he flees off and hits sum1 then? you don't know what he'll do....

when running from the police ppl do the most wreckless and dangerous manouvers, vs if he's just driving carefully chanses are that he'll be more likely to kill some1 when running....then how wud you feel?

point is you can never know what'll happen next, 1 second delay could mean life and death from your part, like a t-bone on an intersection, a split second cud make the 2 cars never collide....what if what if
Old 01-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
What if the cops come and put him safely away so none of that has a chance of ever happening?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:54 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
i would also like to add that the title of the thread doesn't pertain to me feeling stupid about letting him drive away, i felt stupid i didn't get any money out of the whole ordeal.
Yo blitz...you stupid! Now let's talk about cars again playas!

Yo mods...can we have some "closure"?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by darksom1

Yo mods...can we have some "closure"?