Sponsored by:

I feel so stupid!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:21 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I feel so stupid!

Uchh!!!

im so angry, btw its been awhile since ive posted on here, hows everyone doing, ill probably be on here more often but just feels good to be back. Anyways.

i went to go buy a Monster XL for the late night studies at around 4 this morning and i pulled up to the 24 hour store. As im pulling up i see this car that is WAY out of the parking space. It was one of those parking spaces that don't have any curbs in the front the guy was WAY over it all the way up to the building. So stupid me i park in the spot next to him because i was being lazy and didn't want to park far away (which i normally do).

I go inside, i see some guy who is clearly under the influence or intoxicated talking to the clerk telling him about bullshit he doesn't really care about. He pays and leaves. As im about to leave after paying the guy walks back in and asks me if the silver Acura is my car and i said yeah and he said he heard a thump when he was backing out and told me it didn't look like much just a big paint scratch. So being that he was drunk i was a bit quirky about the situation and i kindly asked the clerk to call the police because i thought he rammed my car.

some background information. My mother was pulling out my car from the garage and as she was doing so, she scraped my front lip spoiler against rocks that we have lining our driveway. So there were a bunch of scrapes only touching the spoiler. Not such a big deal to me because i plan on getting the whole car repainted when i save up enough cash.

So to continue. I look at the car and the guy keeps apologizing in a drunken manner with his eyes all bloodshot. He kept offering to write me a check. As i look at the car i notice there are a few more scratches but only on the front lip spoiler so i didn't think it was a big deal the clerk comes out to tell me the cops are coming. I felt bad because if the cops came this guy would have been arrested and it was honestly an accident. So in the end i told him not to worry about it, it was already scratched and not to worry about it. He shook my hand and i told him to stay there and wait for me to pull away and we both parted our ways.

Im not so angry about him hitting my car i just feel like an idiot that i didn't take some sort of compensation or enough to repair the already scratched front spoiler. The guy was driving a silver bentley so he definitely had money. He kept telling me don't worry i live in town we can fix this easily. But i really didn't want to get in trouble and ive never been in an accident where i had to exchange information with anyone so i didn't want to get in trouble if the cops came for some insurance fraud or just i really didn't know. I feel stupid because im pretty sure he would have given me more than enough money to fix the car as well as some ontop of that. Did i do the right thing or was i just being really stupid?

be nice! im just venting
Old 01-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Did you do the right thing?

No. Anytime there's a drunk on the road we should be doing everything we can to get him off the road.

Even if he was:

nice
made the effort to come back in and tell you he thought he hit your car

Nice, resonsible drunks are just as deadly as the asshole drunks.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Did you do the right thing?

No. Anytime there's a drunk on the road we should be doing everything we can to get him off the road.

Even if he was:

nice
made the effort to come back in and tell you he thought he hit your car

Nice, resonsible drunks are just as deadly as the asshole drunks.

Won't the cops look for you when they get there and you already left?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:57 AM
3.2 VTEC

not to support drunk driving or anything, beleive me i'm against it, but there are just things that are none of your business...if you think that getting him arrested would have made the world a slightly better place you are terribly wrong....you're not a cop, don't act like one and mind your own business.

choises are made by the person themselves, you're not there to tell them what to do, you could only give them advice....so if you're a soccer mom and call the cops on every1 they see on the road driving "OMG CRAZYYYY", then go do your snitch ass business....no wonder noone likes you.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:00 AM
3.2 VTEC

btw, i think you did fine....you could of gotten some money, although if it was not cash, i wudn't bother with it eather.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:07 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

First, good to have you back dude!

Second..."Dude" (like the guy on the commercial), anybody who hits my car in the slightest is giving me compensation! I would've taken his tag info, but if he jumped out a Bentley...oh fa sho! - I'm taking that check! What do you mean insurance fraud? He was writing you a check for hitting your car. There wold've been no need to call insurance for that. There was no need to call the cops either, because he was cooperating fully. I guess you gotta get mom's to write that check now huh? LOL! (j/k)

As for the yeah it's good to call them to get a drunk off the road thing: It's just not in my DNA to snitch on someone. I know you say he may cause an accident and hurt someone else, but he may also live around the corner and make it home in time without doing it. Judgement thing I guess, and I would hate to wind up like "Peter Parker", where I could've stopped the bad guy and didn't and it cost somebody their life, but in Maryland that is a big hit on your license and an arrest for sure! Now, when he was backing up and he managed to take my quarter panel or bumper with him - then hell yeah I'm calling the cops! But if a guy just had a few drinks, nah, I can't do that. Maybe I am wrong for thinking that way, but that's just how I'm built...NO NEED TO ATTACK ME WITH DRUNK DRIVER SHIT, THAT'S JUST MY OPINION!!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if it didnt bother u.. the it shoulda been left alone.....i would def work something out on the side.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:14 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
WHAT he popped ur tl in a bentley... and he was drunk
COPS what COPS

I woulda been like dude you scratched my car, dude you scratched my car Imma call popo if you don't give me mulla mulla...

if he was driving a bentley and drunk I woulda walked away with a stack of 20s
Old 01-05-2008, 08:18 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by stillhere153
COPS what COPS

I woulda been like dude you scratched my car, dude you scratched my car Imma call popo if you don't give me mulla mulla...

FA SHO!!!! NBP thinking damn alike on that one playa! No way a dude jump out a Bentley, waving dough at me, and he HIT MY SHIT - and I say no! Not no, but hell no!!!! HAhahahaha! Shit woulda got "real greasy" if he tried to roll out easy!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

hey thanks for your responses.

i think i exaggerated when i described how drunk he was, he wasn't hammered drunk and he was completely coherent, he was just a tad loopy and it seemed like it was just an honest accident. it was 4 in the morning, not many cars on the road he said he lived in the area so i just figured he was a nice guy and also people are allowed to drive drunk as long as they are within the legal limit and i really didn't want to be responsible for something like that. i just feel shitty that i didn't examine the situation more and try and get some money out of it or anything. I honestly just didn't want to be bothered with the cops. because that would require me to do more thinking then i wanted. lol.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Trucki!!

Drunk or not I would have called the police for an accident report.

As someone who has gotten hit by a drunk driver in the past, I think what you did was a total jackass move. If he couldn't back out of a parking spot right he is obviously impaired and shouldn't be driving at all. What if you let him off the hook and he gets out on the road and hits a minivan and kills 5 people........would you feel bad then?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

honestly, what would i have done to prevent it, the cops were already on there way, i can't make him stay. i didn't want him going crazy if the cops came and smashing into my car. it was honestly something i just tried to stay away from.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Trucki!!

Well it was stupid for the clerk to say that the cops were coming in the first place. But you just telling him he could go and not worry about it was on the same level.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
meh, if its not big deal to you then dont worry about it. its over now and there's nothing you can do.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Hey, I would have done what you did, except when he said Ill write a check I would have taken it.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 AM
LyfeIs what you make it!

I never deny anyone who offers me money. Especially if they have $$ which this guy obviously did. At the same time, theres a moral dilemma in this story, makes me think of Spider-man when he let the thief get on the elevator and the thief killed his uncle.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:12 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by LyfeIs
I never deny anyone who offers me money. Especially if they have $$ which this guy obviously did. At the same time, theres a moral dilemma in this story, makes me think of Spider-man when he let the thief get on the elevator and the thief killed his uncle.
Now I know I heard that shit somewhere before...hmmm!

Like in my post LYFE!!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

dark you are on some nother level shit...
"Shit woulda got "real greasy" if he tried to roll out easy!"
wat the hell is that kid
Old 01-05-2008, 10:44 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

dark you are on some nother level shit...
"Shit woulda got "real greasy" if he tried to roll out easy!"
wat the hell is that kid
Meaning if someone hit my ride and then just tried to leave (not like that dude, he was cool)...it would've got ugly!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:48 AM
LyfeIs what you make it!

Originally Posted by darksom1
Now I know I heard that shit somewhere before...hmmm!

Like in my post LYFE!!!!
My bad Dark. Thats what I get for only reading the first few posts.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:48 AM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure what I would have done at the time of the accident.

I do know how I would feel if I later found he had injured someone before or after it though.

With that knowledge would it still be considered snitching?

I wouldn't want to be the injured party and know people were letting him continue his trip and without responsibility.

I don't like to snitch either but it would certainly be the right thing to do in the later case!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I can see the side in either case. It depends on the individual. I certainly understand Lembowski's viewpoint because he was victimized by someone like that in the past, as is usually the case when the subject affects you personally. But for me, I can't call it like that. If you are at a party and your friends or family member had a few drinks, are you calling the popo? I don't think you would, do you?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:26 AM
TL Hooker

Originally Posted by vincethe1
not to support drunk driving or anything, beleive me i'm against it, but there are just things that are none of your business...if you think that getting him arrested would have made the world a slightly better place you are terribly wrong....you're not a cop, don't act like one and mind your own business.
Do you realize how stupid you sound? Until you have watched an innocent person die because of a drunk driver, kindly shut the hell up.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:27 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by darksom1
Meaning if someone hit my ride and then just tried to leave (not like that dude, he was cool)...it would've got ugly!
I knew wat you ment i was laughin... like wat the hell is that in disbelief lol
Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 AM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Um ya did you guys here about the guy in the f250 crash head on into the van with 7 people in it and last i heard 5 died, last week or two somtime. Im glad all those people that called didnt mind ther own business.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:35 AM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

Originally Posted by lembowski
Drunk or not I would have called the police for an accident report.

As someone who has gotten hit by a drunk driver in the past, I think what you did was a total jackass move. If he couldn't back out of a parking spot right he is obviously impaired and shouldn't be driving at all. What if you let him off the hook and he gets out on the road and hits a minivan and kills 5 people........would you feel bad then?
My bad i reread the thread and saw it was already posted, but having a casual drink and and from what it sounds like this guy was pretty wasted are two different things.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by 05_AcuraTL_ASPEC
My bad i reread the thread and saw it was already posted, but having a casual drink and and from what it sounds like this guy was pretty wasted are two different things.
I would never let a friend, and my friends would never let me drive if my eyes were burnt and I obviously didn't look drunk. My next door neighbor has one of those blood alcohol testers and I blew a .22 and I thought I still felt sober. So I guess it varies from person to person. But I am anti drinking and driving due to things that I've seen first hand.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:51 AM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

I would never let a friend, and my friends would never let me drive if my eyes were burnt and I obviously didn't look drunk. My next door neighbor has one of those blood alcohol testers and I blew a .22 and I thought I still felt sober. So I guess it varies from person to person. But I am anti drinking and driving due to things that I've seen first hand.
I agree with u 110%, I mean they can say all they want till it's the mom, dad, sister, wife, kids, are killed, then its like i cant believe nobody stopped him.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:05 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

choises are made by the person themselves, you're not there to tell them what to do, you could only give them advice....so if you're a soccer mom and call the cops on every1 they see on the road driving "OMG CRAZYYYY", then go do your snitch ass business....no wonder noone likes you.
really - do you have any idea how ridiculously stupid you sound?

I guess that's why you are 20 years old - you have a LOT of growing up to do.

Wait till that drink driver kills someone you know, someone close to you, someone in your family, someone who you love, your gf, your wife, your own children. Then years later you will go back to this post and say to yourself "wow I was an idiot when I was 20 years old, I can't believe I would've said something that stupid"
Old 01-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Where I'm from, "Snitches get Stitches" - its just the way it is.. BUT you have to have certain boundaries. If I seen dude all f*cked up and trying to get in his whip and drive off crashing into cans n sh*t id tell the clerk to let the cops know.

HOWEVER

When I had my cavalier i got hit by a some European guys. They ran and my friend caught up to them and got in front and slammed on the brakes to get the guy to stop. i was with my gf making sure she was ok and good and dude calls me telling me that there 5 guys getting outta the car with just him and his gf. shit. so i floor it to back him up. when i got there they were circling around him tryin to scare him. they seen me get out the car, i told his gf to get in my car and drive it down the block.

not before i took the bat out of my trunk. they werent so tough then - normally when i get in a scrap you never do something like that - but 5 vs 2 - that aint happenin ... at any rate they calmed down when they realize i was 3 seconds away from either takin the bat upside his face or his windshield. they never looked at my car (it was absolutley fine - thats Chevy for ya!) his scion was accordian style (he rearended me) and his back bump was hanging off (he got rearended after he hit me - but it was by his friend who he left back there).

Anyway, I digress... didnt call the cops, but i took 400 cash and walked away. made 400 bucks. no damange to my car but it scared the hell outta my gf. i knew it was coming cuz i watched it happening in the rear view mirror. i grabbed her chest to push her back against the seat (she didnt know what i was doing until we got slammed). i figured 400 was enough for a nice day at 6 flags (which is where we were on our way to).

So yeah, I think you shoulda taken his money.

Or stole his car.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:09 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

if you think that getting him arrested would have made the world a slightly better place you are terribly wrong
NOPE, EH EH, TRY AGAIN.

YOU are terribly wrong.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by fant0m_TL
Where I'm from, "Snitches get Stitches" - its just the way it is.. BUT you have to have certain boundaries. If I seen dude all f*cked up and trying to get in his whip and drive off crashing into cans n sh*t id tell the clerk to let the cops know.

HOWEVER

When I had my cavalier i got hit by a some European guys. They ran and my friend caught up to them and got in front and slammed on the brakes to get the guy to stop. i was with my gf making sure she was ok and good and dude calls me telling me that there 5 guys getting outta the car with just him and his gf. shit. so i floor it to back him up. when i got there they were circling around him tryin to scare him. they seen me get out the car, i told his gf to get in my car and drive it down the block.

not before i took the bat out of my trunk. they werent so tough then - normally when i get in a scrap you never do something like that - but 5 vs 2 - that aint happenin ... at any rate they calmed down when they realize i was 3 seconds away from either takin the bat upside his face or his windshield. they never looked at my car (it was absolutley fine - thats Chevy for ya!) his scion was accordian style (he rearended me) and his back bump was hanging off (he got rearended after he hit me - but it was by his friend who he left back there).

Anyway, I digress... didnt call the cops, but i took 400 cash and walked away. made 400 bucks. no damange to my car but it scared the hell outta my gf. i knew it was coming cuz i watched it happening in the rear view mirror. i grabbed her chest to push her back against the seat (she didnt know what i was doing until we got slammed). i figured 400 was enough for a nice day at 6 flags (which is where we were on our way to).

So yeah, I think you shoulda taken his money.

Or stole his car.
I have no fucking clue what this has to do with a drunk driver. Reporting a drunk driver is not "snitching", its being a good neighbor. You and vincethe1 have alot of growing up to do thats for sure.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:23 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gauravp123
really - do you have any idea how ridiculously stupid you sound?

I guess that's why you are 20 years old - you have a LOT of growing up to do.

Wait till that drink driver kills someone you know, someone close to you, someone in your family, someone who you love, your gf, your wife, your own children. Then years later you will go back to this post and say to yourself "wow I was an idiot when I was 20 years old, I can't believe I would've said something that stupid"

I couldn't have said it better myself. For all of you who say "Don't worry about it then if it didn't bother you that much." You need to grow up, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon if you're thinking like that. Just wait for the day that it happens to you with a family member.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

I have no fucking clue what this has to do with a drunk driver. Reporting a drunk driver is not "snitching", its being a good neighbor. You and vincethe1 have alot of growing up to do thats for sure.
dude instead of coming to the boards and flaming people why dont you shut your 25 year old ass up. ur freakin 5 years older than me - like u know a whole helluva lot more.

what it has to do with is calling the cops - whether he should have or shouldnt have after being hit. quit causing controversy and shut the hell up - its members of this forum like you that make this a hard place to get what we all came here for - enjoyment of our cars to to learn more.

Just chill man, all ive seen you do (since ive come back to this site because of members like YOU) is flame this guy. "growing up" stfu dude he told everyone he wasnt drunk... he was ACTING like it. the initial post made it seem like he was tanked, but then the OP came back and corrected this.

instead of letting the fuse to your tampon get lit with fire take a couple deep breaths. i understand you got hit by a drunk driver. guess what? so did one of my best friends. know where he is? sitting in his wheel chair playing World of Warcraft because he lost his football scholarship. dont come to these boards acting like you know a thing or two because something happened.

just relax and have a good time.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:31 PM
East Coast Crew

What you did was kind-hearted. We don't have much people like you these days. You get my props.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:00 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
this is to the OP: try and find the guy and tell him that you noticed the damage was more sever than you saw during the night time and remind him of your nice gesture. and see if he will still compensate you for repairs. Im sure you can get somethign out of him. but other than that, your choice is YOUR choice. What do YOU think you should have done? thats all that matters
Old 01-05-2008, 01:01 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Originally Posted by visuelz
What you did was kind-hearted. We don't have much people like you these days. You get my props.
For real. It sometimes takes a person's kindness to make others realize what they have done, and in the future, they can correct it.

Imagine 2 months from now when he's on trial and he's pissed. Is this going to change him? I think not, but because of the OP's kindness, he may have thought it thoroughly and walked away with a new way of thinking. It could save lives in the future, where as a raged (could be alcoholic) man may go out and carelessly cause destruction to whatever.

There are many people who experience compassion by strangers who have completely new ways of lifestyles.

So to the OP, thanks for not bitching and crying about a few scratches, some times its better to let go than to start shit.

and by the way, if he was not too drunk, as OP mentioned, then why give the guy a hard time?
Old 01-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i like how you can clearly see a difference in what people are going to say according to their age. the young guys all say that you did the right thing, but should have taken the money. the older guys all say that you should have let the cops get there.

im still young but imma agree with the older guys..you should have waited until the cops came, not just because of the accident but because he was driving under the influence. whether it was a few drinks or one too many drinks, you never know what could have happened after he pulled out of that parking lot. yes there is the chance that nothing might have happened, but there is also the chance that something bad could have happened...he could have injured himself or even others. the scratches on your car are honestly secondary compared to some person's life that may have been at stake. fortunately, to your/our knowledge no one got hurt, but next time think twice before you let somebody thats been drinking behind the steering wheel.

now that its all over, there isnt much else you can do. as someone mentioned above you can try to find the dude and have him pay for the damages, but other than that only thing you can do is to learn from this experience
Old 01-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by playa4real
i like how you can clearly see a difference in what people are going to say according to their age. the young guys all say that you did the right thing, but should have taken the money. the older guys all say that you should have let the cops get there.

im still young but imma agree with the older guys..you should have waited until the cops came, not just because of the accident but because he was driving under the influence. whether it was a few drinks or one too many drinks, you never know what could have happened after he pulled out of that parking lot. yes there is the chance that nothing might have happened, but there is also the chance that something bad could have happened...he could have injured himself or even others. the scratches on your car are honestly secondary compared to some person's life that may have been at stake. fortunately, to your/our knowledge no one got hurt, but next time think twice before you let somebody thats been drinking behind the steering wheel.

now that its all over, there isnt much else you can do. as someone mentioned above you can try to find the dude and have him pay for the damages, but other than that only thing you can do is to learn from this experience
heres my point tho - and i noticed what you said about the age thing - just how it goes i guess... anyway - if this dude was DRUNK the OP would have known. he wouldnt need to come to a message board and have people who A) he dosent know (and visa versa) and B) tell him what a drunk person looks like.

even if youve never seen a drunk person before, you know that a drunk person dosen't act normal... so i have a feeling if this dude REALLY was tanked like its being made out to be, then the OP would have instinctivley known that the dude was too messed up to drive - im talking a couple drinks. 2 beers for a 6 foot 2 180lb guy is nothing more than coolaid. what is a decent limit varies for everyone, but the law is .08. i dont care if he is a .07 - thats not illegal.

common sense and basic instinct would have told the OP that if this dude really was wasted, that calling the cops woulda been the right thing to do.

as for calling the cops with the scratches, i think ya did fine - it happens. if he cracked it or w.e i woulda called the cops just for the accident report so insurance can fill it out - but chances are you prolly have a $500 deductable - and scratches dont cost (quite) that much...
Old 01-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
COPS what COPS

haha forreal.

Quick Reply: I feel so stupid!