Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I DID IT!!! Now I need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 08:36 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I DID IT!!! Now I need help!!

Well, I caved last night and bought a TL!! I got $23.5k for my 04 Maxima, and I paid $31k for the TL. I don't have the car yet as it's still on route via train to the dealership.

Here's my issue....I went last night thinking I wanted SSM/Ebony. But, when I got there there was a NBP parked next to a SSM. I think I like the TL in black better, however I want the Ebony interior! IS THIS TOO BLACK??? I like the contrast of the SSM/Ebony, But I think the TL looks sportier in NBP. I told the salesman that I'm really having a hard time deciding so he said I can have until Saturday. The car I tentatively purchased (the one on route) is NBP/Ebony. I don't really like the wood, so with the NBP, the camel and Parchment colors are out. That leaves Ebony or Quartz. My Maxima is black with frost interior and it;s just "Ok."

I'm being a basket case over this!! LOL

Opinions please!!! I need serious help!!

PS - Also thinking of adding a wing spoiler...I like the look, but I'm also not the type to "pimp" out my ride..lol...Will the wing look too "Pimpish?"
Old 08-24-2004, 09:07 AM
Rom-TL

Do it!

As an owner of a Black/Ebony TL, I can share these thoughts with you:

The Bad
1) The Leather in my car shows wear more than other colors of leather. Ive only had it for 3300 miles, and I can already see slight wrinkles on the bottom of the seat. A quick search on this site will point you to the many leather threads we already have going.
2) Its hot! If you do get the black interior color, get dark tint to go with it.

The GOOD
1) It looks great, especially at night. I personally think the Black interior looks the best becasue of the contrast with the Aluminum trim. THe Black interior, aluminum trim, and cool blue mood lighting make the interior feel like a stylish jazz bar or somthing.
If it didnt look great, Acura would not have used it in their brochure.

Do a search to find all the different opinions you will find on color choices for this car. I personally hate wood in vehicles, but Acura found the right tone of wood to choose, as well as not overdoing it. Of all wood interiors Ive seen, I like Acuras the best.

Good luck and enjoy the car!
Old 08-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!!!

The deck lid spoiler is sporty yet subdued. I think the wing spoiler is 'boy racer' style.

My brother has a black on black 04/TL. It looks great. I'd go with the black on black on the lot if it were me. I have the Anthracite/quartz 04/TL wich is basically grey on grey. Its a custom look without the custom price.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that Ebony is the best interior . . . I have Anthracite/Ebony.

IMO, nothing is sharper than a 'clean' black car. Are you willing to maintain
it so it looks good ? If not, I'd go for the silver.

Rachel
Old 08-24-2004, 09:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TexAcura
As an owner of a Black/Ebony TL, I can share these thoughts with you:

The Bad
1) The Leather in my car shows wear more than other colors of leather. Ive only had it for 3300 miles, and I can already see slight wrinkles on the bottom of the seat. A quick search on this site will point you to the many leather threads we already have going.
2) Its hot! If you do get the black interior color, get dark tint to go with it.

The GOOD
1) It looks great, especially at night. I personally think the Black interior looks the best becasue of the contrast with the Aluminum trim. THe Black interior, aluminum trim, and cool blue mood lighting make the interior feel like a stylish jazz bar or somthing.
If it didnt look great, Acura would not have used it in their brochure.

Do a search to find all the different opinions you will find on color choices for this car. I personally hate wood in vehicles, but Acura found the right tone of wood to choose, as well as not overdoing it. Of all wood interiors Ive seen, I like Acuras the best.

Good luck and enjoy the car!

Thanks for your help...I noticed the NBP/Ebony in the brochure also. I don't really care for window tint, but one of the reasons I like the black interior is because it naturally makes the windows look darker....

The heat build up is a valid concern, but I would hope it wouldn't be too bad as I live in the Northeast... Good in the winter time, right??

Overall, I thought the NBP made the car look longer and sleeker. Also, I like the contrast in the rear with the red taillights...
Old 08-24-2004, 09:24 AM
Intermediate

I had the same problem. I almost bought a NBP/Ebony but backed out at the last second because I didn't think it looked that great. Just my opinion. Now don't get me wrong, I love black. I have black on black with my 04 MDX. But the leather is different and the windows are tinted. I ended up getting the 04 TL with NBP/Parchment. I think it looks great and I am so glad I went this direction. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Cruisin'

i have NBP/Quartz. While black/black does look great now, i was concerned how it would look in a couple years or even a couple months. That and also, the quartz interior seemed really classy to me. It matches well with the aluminum as well. I also noticed that during the day, with the sunroof shade open, the quartz leather makes the interior seem larger. Just a thought for you, I'm sure you'll love whichever color you choose.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SSM/Ebony was my 1st option, end up getting SSM/Quartz. glad to have it. black ages fast and it's hot.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Instructor

I agree, I purchased WDP w/ Parchment and the wooden knob shifter and it looks sweet! All I have to say is that YOU are buying the car, YOU make the choice YOUR the one making the payments so get what YOU want! Simple as that!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EMF213
Well, I caved last night and bought a TL!! I got $23.5k for my 04 Maxima, and I paid $31k for the TL. I don't have the car yet as it's still on route via train to the dealership.

Here's my issue....I went last night thinking I wanted SSM/Ebony. But, when I got there there was a NBP parked next to a SSM. I think I like the TL in black better, however I want the Ebony interior! IS THIS TOO BLACK??? I like the contrast of the SSM/Ebony, But I think the TL looks sportier in NBP. I told the salesman that I'm really having a hard time deciding so he said I can have until Saturday. The car I tentatively purchased (the one on route) is NBP/Ebony. I don't really like the wood, so with the NBP, the camel and Parchment colors are out. That leaves Ebony or Quartz. My Maxima is black with frost interior and it;s just "Ok."

I'm being a basket case over this!! LOL

Opinions please!!! I need serious help!!

PS - Also thinking of adding a wing spoiler...I like the look, but I'm also not the type to "pimp" out my ride..lol...Will the wing look too "Pimpish?"
What trim level did you get (i.e. manual or auto, navi or no navi)??
Old 08-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by stroutman
What trim level did you get (i.e. manual or auto, navi or no navi)??
Auto, Non-Navi. I'm already taking a hit because I'm getting out of my 2004 Maxima which is only 14 months old. The depreciation hit, the slightly higher payment and some cash out of pocket kept me away from the Nav. While it is pretty cool, it wasn't a "must" have...
Old 08-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by leo221
SSM/Ebony was my 1st option, end up getting SSM/Quartz. glad to have it. black ages fast and it's hot.
Why does it age fast? Because it just shows more lines and wrinkles? Doesn't other leather do this?

I was thinking about it being hot also, but how much hotter does it really get? I mean if it's a hot day, all cars will be hot! Right??
Old 08-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by EMF213
Why does it age fast? Because it just shows more lines and wrinkles? Doesn't other leather do this?

I was thinking about it being hot also, but how much hotter does it really get? I mean if it's a hot day, all cars will be hot! Right??
Black leather shows the wrinkles more clearly than lighter colors (the wrinkles blend much better with the parchment and quartz in my opinion). Same reasoning for black cars showing surface white scratches or swirl marks much much clearer than lighter car colors (i.e. silver).

Can't help over the heat situation. Technically, black absorbs more heat...blah, blah, blah....but I can't tell you exactly HOW much hotter it makes it.

Why did I choose the ebony interior? I like black. And its easier to keep clean for me.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Legend75
I agree, I purchased WDP w/ Parchment and the wooden knob shifter and it looks sweet! All I have to say is that YOU are buying the car, YOU make the choice YOUR the one making the payments so get what YOU want! Simple as that!
Old 08-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Silver/Ebony was about to buy a NBP/Quartz but backed out after some thought. Living in So. Cal the NBP looks too hot and its a bitch to clean and the quartz IMO looks/feels cheap than the Ebony. the silver looks much "sportier" to me whenever i look at the car it just looks like it hugs the road and wants to run FAST
Old 08-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Racer

If you plan on keeping the car for 3+ years I would go with the Ebony interior. Ebony won't show dirt and scuffs like the lighter colors will. The last 3 cars I have owned have had charcoal leather and with the exception of normal wear, the all looked very clean and in excellent condition. Having seen similar cars of similar age with light gray or beige interiors, I cannot say the same of them. After a few years the interiors were stained, scuffed and generally dirty looking.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:07 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You will not regret NBP/Ebony. Treat leather with good conditioner and it will stay good. I'm having my NBP/Ebony in mint even after 8 months and 10700 miles.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by joganjani
You will not regret NBP/Ebony. Treat leather with good conditioner and it will stay good. I'm having my NBP/Ebony in mint even after 8 months and 10700 miles.

Nice! Do you ever look at it and think to yourself "it's just TOO black"?? Do you ever wish you hade a contrast like NBP/Quartz or SSM/Ebony?? These are the issues I struggle with...
Old 08-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Racer

Which color makes the TL look BIGGER??

Black or Silver??