I <3 Drunk Drivers......NOT

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 11:04 AM
Advanced

I <3 Drunk Drivers......NOT

Well it seems like so many of us TL drivers are getting slammed by retards I guess it was my turn. The best part is is that i've only had my car about 4 months and it has less than 6000 miles on it.....

(story is really long so if you just want pics, scroll )

So heres the story, driving down Argyle Forest bout 3:30 in the morning just heading home from playing some pool straight face sober. I see headlights FLY up on my ass, I'm figuring its some jackass wanting to race me or something. So I casually speed up and get into the left lane ( yes I was in the slow lane ) so this idiot can pass me, I'm in no way shape or form trying to street race at the time. As it comes up beside me I see it a fat latino chick driving a brand new TC.

I chuckle to myself and watch as she trys to do a flyby on me but im not taking any bait. We come up to this slight curve in the road, and im talking like 20* at best, you can take this turing doing over 100 and have no issues. And all of a sudden I hear brakes locking up I look to the right and this bitch is swerving to the right, over corrects and slams into the front of my TL (she had to have been going roughly 60-70 when she lost control) which then pushes me up onto the median flattening both my front tires and destroying the rims. then I ran over about 6 tree's that were in the median.

I regain control and jump back off the curb back into the correct lane of traffic and stop. Her TC is a sardine can. She hit me pretty hard I thought for sure my car was totaled as well but to my surprise I got out and it really wasn't " that " bad, still alot of damage but nothing like I suspected. I must say that I've never felt safer in any accident I've ever been in. My passenger also commented on my good driving and staying calm but I think it has alot more to do with how this car is built vs. my driving ability.

So here is my next dilemma, what do you guys think I should do/demand as far as the insurance company goes. I don't want a brand new car with mis-matched paint and a big ass accident report to pop up on car-fax. The re-sale value of my TL just plummeted...I've heard of state-farm having some sort of policy if your car is brand new they'll just give you a new car but thats wishful thinking. Any advice would be great or take it into a PM.

Will keep you guys posted on any developments. Here are the pics.

Old 08-10-2008 | 11:19 AM
All About Trance

Wow! I was expecting some form of carnage but it came out pretty well! You'll get that fixed in no time and it'll look good as new. Glad to hear that you're both safe and sound.

Also, were the cops called to take a report of this accident and that's how you had known that she was drunk?
Old 08-10-2008 | 11:20 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Glad to see you are ok, especially knowing that things could have been a lot worse I know this because I have lost a cousin to a drunk driver . I hope everything works out with insurance etc, keep us posted.
Old 08-10-2008 | 11:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mn2trance
Wow! I was expecting some form of carnage but it came out pretty well! You'll get that fixed in no time and it'll look good as new. Glad to hear that you're both safe and sound.

Also, were the cops called to take a report of this accident and that's how you had known that she was drunk?
Aside from the brewery on her breath yes the police were there but did a whole lot of nothing JSO sucks. I asked the officer if she was intoxicated and he said " I don't know "

She was saying not to call the cops but obviously I had called before I even stepped out of my car. Then she left in the ambulance im assuming to try to get away from the DUI. She had a lump on her forehead and a cut on her nose, she needed no medical attention. Just needed my foot up her ass.
Old 08-10-2008 | 11:58 AM
08 TL-S Kinetic Blue

what a freaking lil B*tch! I hope everything works out for you bro...sad to see this stuff have to happen to any of us
Old 08-10-2008 | 12:03 PM
Bone stock tl-s

drunk drivers are the scum of the earth! sorry to hear about your car. you and your passenger are safe and thats whats important. im not sure about the insurance part good luck with that, im sure a good body shop would fix her as good as new. what i do know is that this car is a tank! and is super safe, im speaking from experience a drunk A-hole t-boned me going 50 mph. i was injured a couple of broken ribs and collarbone. but looking at pics of the wreck you would think it was alot worse. here's just one

stupid drunk morons man i would have strangled her then she would really need an ambulance!
Old 08-10-2008 | 12:12 PM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

OMG my baby no im just kidding i have the same color, so im pretty pissed off at drunk drivers man out here in s.jersey cops are busting ppl left and right for DUI, and i swear sometimes i think like if something like this happened to me and both the drunky and me walked out alive i would bash his head in right there and then, that sounds a little extreme but im obsessed over my car. but im glad to hear that u and the passenger are okay and as for the drunky i hpe she gets what she deserves.
Old 08-10-2008 | 12:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jptl04
stupid drunk morons man i would have strangled her then she would really need an ambulance!
Ditto!!
Old 08-10-2008 | 01:39 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

That really sucks! I'm glad you're ok!!
Old 08-10-2008 | 01:45 PM
One on the right for me

Read your policy - probably won't get a new car. Likely you are going to have to sue her to recover any additional money.
Old 08-10-2008 | 01:46 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Wow sorry to see that. Women can always get off DD, just ask my ex about her accidents and DUI stops some of which she doesnt remember but no tickets or arrests
Old 08-10-2008 | 01:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by subinf
Read your policy - probably won't get a new car. Likely you are going to have to sue her to recover any additional money.
Gap coverage all the way...
Old 08-10-2008 | 02:09 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by Romeo8Juliet
GAP coverage usually only applies to stolen (non recovered) and/or totalled vehicles.

I would have never been driving near her to begin with.... One thing I have learned with drunk drivers, let them pass then stay far enough back to prevent yourself/vehicle from being involved in the "carnage"..

Not saying you did something wrong CBP TL-S - your predicament sucks to say the least.

-Does FL have any "diminished value" rules-restrictions/laws??

"Hopefully"
Old 08-10-2008 | 02:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
GAP coverage usually only applies to stolen (non recovered) and/or totalled vehicles.

I would have never been driving near her to begin with.... One thing I have learned with drunk drivers, let them pass then stay far enough back to prevent yourself/vehicle from being involved in the "carnage"..

Not saying you did something wrong CBP TL-S - your predicament sucks to say the least.

-Does FL have any "diminished value" rules-restrictions/laws??

"Hopefully"
Yeah, but the policy the OP quoted. I.e., getting a new car if yours is new.. is only if it's totalled. So, that's why I mentioned gap. If it's just damaged, gap wouldn't apply..

I think State Farm has an actual policy that states they do not cover diminished value what so ever.. I found it on the website before when I had a claim with them. They denied it.. after making me jump through hoops to get it.
Old 08-10-2008 | 02:25 PM
iScrape going into

You obviously held your composure I commend you for that. I would of choked that girl like no other. I hope you plan on in full extent not only getting your car fixed but taking legal action. More than likely that was not her first time drinking and driving and if its not she needs to learn a lesson.
Old 08-10-2008 | 03:30 PM
WDP Director of R & D

I think State Farm has an actual policy that states they do not cover diminished value what so ever.. I found it on the website before when I had a claim with them. They denied it.. after making me jump through hoops to get it.
Well, lets hope "her" insurance company is NOT State Farm. Because unless she is uninsured - I would be going hot and heavy after her insurance... (The OP mentioned State Farm yet unclear if that's his or "hers"...)
- Mater of fact, I haven't heard much good at all about State Farm in the last few years...

Definitely a bad day for Mr. CBP.
Old 08-10-2008 | 04:24 PM
Advanced

Yeah, but the policy the OP quoted. I.e., getting a new car if yours is new.. is only if it's totalled. So, that's why I mentioned gap. If it's just damaged, gap wouldn't apply..

Actually the policy I'm quoting is if your car is NOT totalled, IE it has to have less than 10,000 miles , and be the current model year which for the next few months will still be true.

But due to JSO being pieces of shit I don't even know the girls name, let alone what insurance company she has, yes my bad for not getting her information, but last time I got in an accident the officer gave me a hard copy of the police report before I ever left the scene of the accident. He gave me the police report number then drove off, he was a real piece of work. So I called the sheriffs office and gave them the number and they told me I had to go get a copy of it from a substation, which arnt open till Monday.....
Old 08-10-2008 | 04:42 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

you def came out okay... no major damage... that looks like 2k in damage... can't wait to see her after she comes out the shop
Old 08-10-2008 | 04:58 PM
One on the right for me

That is why I told him to read the policy.
Old 08-10-2008 | 05:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by stillhere153
you def came out okay... no major damage... that looks like 2k in damage... can't wait to see her after she comes out the shop

2k? Pfft if I was only so lucky. You know Type-S rim's are like 550 dollar a piece right? I need 4, cuz all 4 are bent and curbed. So theres 2000 right there lmao. Just buying all new OEM parts from Acura is gonna be around 4-5k + painting everything + R&R. I don't see this coming anywhere under 10,000 at minimum. I'll post the first estimate I get
Old 08-10-2008 | 05:53 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Sorry to hear about what happened but its good to know you were ok. Good luck with your insurance claim and getting your diminished value if they offer it,
Old 08-10-2008 | 06:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CBP TL-S
Actually the policy I'm quoting is if your car is NOT totalled, IE it has to have less than 10,000 miles , and be the current model year which for the next few months will still be true.

But due to JSO being pieces of shit I don't even know the girls name, let alone what insurance company she has, yes my bad for not getting her information, but last time I got in an accident the officer gave me a hard copy of the police report before I ever left the scene of the accident. He gave me the police report number then drove off, he was a real piece of work. So I called the sheriffs office and gave them the number and they told me I had to go get a copy of it from a substation, which arnt open till Monday.....
Sorry to hear what happened. Glad to see that your OK, and damage wasnt AS BAD as it could have been.

Standard protocol (or at least what I have experienced) is that you have to request a copy of the police report from the station... Within that it will have the drivers name, insurance, description of incident in the eyes of a third party (police officer), etc.....

If she was pushin a new TC, means that she HAD to have had full coverage because I have a feeling she didnt pay 100% for it up front. So its not as bad.

Be sure you claim for Diminished Value. Any pains or anything? If so, get that shit checked out!!! It will all get covered in the claim as well.
Old 08-10-2008 | 06:21 PM
Instructor

New policy to me... Thanks for the info.

When I was in my accident (rear ended on 66.. ugh) in March, the state trooper gave me the police report # and then gave me a seperate card with all of the other drivers insurance information to make my claim with. With most of it being done on computers and the report not due until after, I don't very many will give you an actual report on scene... but, eh.. I've been wrong before (see above, ha)
Old 08-10-2008 | 07:04 PM
Life Long Acura Fiend

Glad to hear your ok. To bad about the TL
Old 08-10-2008 | 07:45 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

damn......it sux to see this....hope everything works out....good luck
Old 08-10-2008 | 08:16 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Aside from the brewery on her breath yes the police were there but did a whole lot of nothing JSO sucks. I asked the officer if she was intoxicated and he said " I don't know "

She was saying not to call the cops but obviously I had called before I even stepped out of my car. Then she left in the ambulance im assuming to try to get away from the DUI. She had a lump on her forehead and a cut on her nose, she needed no medical attention. Just needed my foot up her ass.
I wouldn't worry about her getting off on the DUI- I'm sure the cops went to the ED where she was to have her blood drawn to prove she was intoxicated. When dealing with her insurance co., be sure to alert them that she had alcohol on her breath when the accident was over. They will likely get the police report of this and if she is intoxicated above the legal limit in your state, she will pay, and pay, and pay...

That accident investigation didn't end with her going to the Emergency Department.
Old 08-11-2008 | 11:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Well it seems like so many of us TL drivers are getting slammed by retards I guess it was my turn. The best part is is that i've only had my car about 4 months and it has less than 6000 miles on it.....

(story is really long so if you just want pics, scroll )

So heres the story, driving down Argyle Forest bout 3:30 in the morning just heading home from playing some pool straight face sober. I see headlights FLY up on my ass, I'm figuring its some jackass wanting to race me or something. So I casually speed up and get into the left lane ( yes I was in the slow lane ) so this idiot can pass me, I'm in no way shape or form trying to street race at the time. As it comes up beside me I see it a fat latino chick driving a brand new TC.

I chuckle to myself and watch as she trys to do a flyby on me but im not taking any bait. We come up to this slight curve in the road, and im talking like 20* at best, you can take this turing doing over 100 and have no issues. And all of a sudden I hear brakes locking up I look to the right and this bitch is swerving to the right, over corrects and slams into the front of my TL (she had to have been going roughly 60-70 when she lost control) which then pushes me up onto the median flattening both my front tires and destroying the rims. then I ran over about 6 tree's that were in the median.

I regain control and jump back off the curb back into the correct lane of traffic and stop. Her TC is a sardine can. She hit me pretty hard I thought for sure my car was totaled as well but to my surprise I got out and it really wasn't " that " bad, still alot of damage but nothing like I suspected. I must say that I've never felt safer in any accident I've ever been in. My passenger also commented on my good driving and staying calm but I think it has alot more to do with how this car is built vs. my driving ability.

So here is my next dilemma, what do you guys think I should do/demand as far as the insurance company goes. I don't want a brand new car with mis-matched paint and a big ass accident report to pop up on car-fax. The re-sale value of my TL just plummeted...I've heard of state-farm having some sort of policy if your car is brand new they'll just give you a new car but thats wishful thinking. Any advice would be great or take it into a PM.

Will keep you guys posted on any developments. Here are the pics.

damn make sure u go to a good shop i had a 4runner not too long ago had an accident just like that got it fixed at a cheap piece of shit shop it never drove the same again
Old 08-11-2008 | 11:58 AM
Its MY Car &amp; I Love It!!!

Damn that sucks! I'm glad your ok though. Your damage looks fixable so dont even think about getting a new car! lol.

Mine was much worse...serious frame damage so i got a new car. Keep us posted.
Old 08-11-2008 | 12:16 PM
Advanced

Well after waking up this morning and my lower back being in some pain and I went ahead and got a lawyer. I still have no police report because its " still not in the computer " according to JSO so I'm kinda dead in the water for now but since this is becoming such a huge pain in my ass I'm going after this girl with everything I've got. I saw her mom pull up in a nice convertible beamer the night of the accident so hopefully they have deep pockets, I'm tryin to get a 335i
Old 08-11-2008 | 12:38 PM
Acuras Only in

LOL ... glad you're okay ... TL can be replaced anytime ... no worries ...
Old 08-11-2008 | 12:39 PM
iScrape going into

Well after waking up this morning and my lower back being in some pain and I went ahead and got a lawyer. I still have no police report because its " still not in the computer " according to JSO so I'm kinda dead in the water for now but since this is becoming such a huge pain in my ass I'm going after this girl with everything I've got. I saw her mom pull up in a nice convertible beamer the night of the accident so hopefully they have deep pockets, I'm tryin to get a 335i
Good.
Old 08-11-2008 | 12:49 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Yeah don't take your injuries too lightly, you will feel very sore over the next few days. I say that from experience
Old 08-16-2008 | 07:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Dayum............this bites big time. And your car was lookin soooooooooo good. Hope everything works out.
Old 08-16-2008 | 09:54 AM
Pro

Glad you're ok and the damage isn't too bad, good luck getting it all figured out
Old 08-16-2008 | 09:56 AM
iScrape going into

Any new news on this?
Old 08-17-2008 | 09:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Distorted Reality
Any new news on this?
Well luckily the damage to the suspension/under-carriage wasn't as bad as I figured. The adjuster estimated just under 10,000 so I can file it under her policy and save me from spending my deductible. Total damage was ~$8900. I've been going to the doctor and doing PT a few times a week. Still no rental so as far as the insurance company and my attorney is concerned I haven't been to work since the accident because I have no car.

The drunk underage girl that hit me is still ducking the Geico's call's so they say they can't give me a rental until they get a statement so w/e. It's all just more pain and suffering the payments on my 335i are getting less and less by the day .

But anyways it's going, not as smooth as i'd like but my TL should be done in 2 weeks, we'll see how it looks/drives after the repairs before I trade her in.

Thanks again for you guy's concern/support. Hopefully my attorney gets me some damn money!
Old 08-17-2008 | 10:26 PM
I have car ADD

^ good luck getting money, but dont expect a check tomorrow.... it takes years usually

i am still waiting on my lawsuit, from when i got rear-ended (4/2006)

You keep mentioning drunk... is this on record with police/insurance???