Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPTs = dry pavement only!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPTs = dry pavement only!

I knew when I picked up my TL on Mar. 1 that I would need dedicated snows next winter, but figured the worst of mother nature was behind us and that the HPTs would suffice until next year.

Well, we've had more snow and, as expected, these tires are absolutely dangerous on anything but dry pavement. With the VSA on, I couldn't get the car above 10mph due to constant slippage. Turned VSA off, and had slightly better success, but I still had big trouble getting up a slight incline that had a thin cover of snow. With cold, wet pavement, I felt only marginally more comfortable and still found traction to be an issue.

I guess the good news is this probably doesn't apply to most of you, but I thought I'd share my experiences anyway. Here's looking forward to summer driving conditions with these tires!
Old 03-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Racer

I live where there is no snow (Alabama). I'm curious how the HPT's perform in just the wet (without cold).

I grew up in Cleveland, though and most of my family is still there. I don't miss the snow or the pot holes this time of year. I do miss it around thanksgiving and christmas, though.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Instructor

According to every review I have read, summer tires in general are better in the rain than all-seasons. I know the F1's I am putting on my TL after the snows are one of the top rated rain tire. You should never drive summer tires in the snow or even the extreme cold. The rubber compound in them hardens at around 40 degrees F, so even dry freezing driving is dangerous on them.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Racer

Originally posted by MyJohnson
I live where there is no snow (Alabama). I'm curious how the HPT's perform in just the wet (without cold).

I grew up in Cleveland, though and most of my family is still there. I don't miss the snow or the pot holes this time of year. I do miss it around thanksgiving and christmas, though.
I can't comment on wet without the cold. The only wet only pavement I've experienced has been accompanied by cold weather (below 40 degrees), and I was not comfortable with these tires and those conditions. I'll probably replace the HPTs with an all season when the tread goes.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Team NBP VP of Detailing

I had the same issue. I took delivery of my 04 NBP 6-Speed with Navi in late February (and got a good deal because the dealer wanted to move this car so they could get more TL’s with automatics & navi to sell to those on waiting lists). My first experience in light snow with the Bidgestone RE030's was very scary. I almost lost it under breaking and nearly rear-ended some cars stopped at a light in front of me at the bottom of a hill. I knew these tires would be bad, even stupid, to try using in winter here in MI, but I thought we might be done with snow until next season.

Once warmer weather comes these tires should be great, even in the rain. I just may have to get some P-Zero Nero’s for next winter as a replacement.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Pro

I have driven them in the rain and they are one of the best rain tires I have owned. On dry they are the best, just slightly better than the Gatorbacks on my old Firebird. However, the Gatorbacks were CRAP in any amount of water. I swapped ends a few times at 10 mphs. (I am not sure if Gators are summer or all season.... so do not flame me as it was over 15 year ago!!)
Old 03-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by daviddww
According to every review I have read, summer tires in general are better in the rain than all-seasons. I know the F1's I am putting on my TL after the snows are one of the top rated rain tire. You should never drive summer tires in the snow or even the extreme cold. The rubber compound in them hardens at around 40 degrees F, so even dry freezing driving is dangerous on them.
agreed i have summer tires on my bmw and it is like going sledding when you drive in the snow. do not use summer tires in the snow your car will end up wrapped around a tree.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:21 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally posted by Formula 350
I have driven them in the rain and they are one of the best rain tires I have owned. On dry they are the best, just slightly better than the Gatorbacks on my old Firebird. However, the Gatorbacks were CRAP in any amount of water. I swapped ends a few times at 10 mphs. (I am not sure if Gators are summer or all season.... so do not flame me as it was over 15 year ago!!)
Are you serious about the Gatorbacks ? When the Gatorbacks were released many year back, Goodyear boasted that the tires were based on F1 rain tire designs. The uni-directional V-shaped sweep-back tread pattern looks like it will do well in the wet. The S-02 and SP9000 have similar tread patterns, and are very good in the wet.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:28 PM
User Registered

Welcome, to the HPST club! Had to garage the car for a couple days while the snow and ice cleared here in Iowa (on business).

I thought slip and slides were for kids.

Old 03-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty impressed with the wet traction of the HPT.

but summer tires do suck in the snow, no matter what brand.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:59 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Edward'TLS
Are you serious about the Gatorbacks ? When the Gatorbacks were released many year back, Goodyear boasted that the tires were based on F1 rain tire designs. The uni-directional V-shaped sweep-back tread pattern looks like it will do well in the wet. The S-02 and SP9000 have similar tread patterns, and are very good in the wet.

Absolutely, the tires were horrible in the wet. The first time I found out I was taking a left turn at NORMAL speed and it shifted in the turn... it was a Firebird with peak torque at 1800 rpms. Well, the tires broke loose and I did a 180 in slow motion :wow:

My friend had them on a Cougar turbo and he had the same problems. Never bought another set so I only had experience with the original tires. But, on dry pavement they would grip like crazy. However, it does feel like these tires are better, but since they are on a different car I can not be sure. BUT I do like them...
Old 03-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Team Nghthwk Whipping Boy

Originally posted by spidey07
I'm pretty impressed with the wet traction of the HPT.

but summer tires do suck in the snow, no matter what brand.
The only thing I've noticed with the HPTs is launching from a stop on wet...they try to break loose, but the traction control does a good job if keeping them in check.

Wicked.