Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to stop brake squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
How to stop brake squeal?

I'm in need of some advice. I installed Brakemotive rotors and pads 5 months ago and applied CRC Disc Brake Quiet. A couple weeks after installation, the brakes were squealing, mostly when I backed up in the mornings. I took out the pads and generously applied the CRC grease again. The pads are again squeaking, both in forward and reverse. After reading this thread, I'm thinking the noise may be due to the grease. Should I try a synthetic grease like Permatex? When I used CRC, I applied it to the back of the pads on the built in metal shim and on the edge where the metal wraps around the pad. I never applied it directly to the pad which touches the rotor. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Many reasons for the noise, but first, nothing gets applied to the pad material, except CRC De-Squeak brake conditioning that I never use.
Pad material should be beveled, front/rear, make certain shims fit tight against the pad, if loose, place a small amount of disc brake quiet on pad backing, then install the shim, at times I leave the shim off depending on the replacement pad, then add the solution to the shims or back of the pads if no shims. Make certain that the solution is placed in the area where the piston(s) strikes the back of the pad(s).
Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Many reasons for the noise, but first, nothing gets applied to the pad material, except CRC De-Squeak brake conditioning that I never use.
Pad material should be beveled, front/rear, make certain shims fit tight against the pad, if loose, place a small amount of disc brake quiet on pad backing, then install the shim, at times I leave the shim off depending on the replacement pad, then add the solution to the shims or back of the pads if no shims. Make certain that the solution is placed in the area where the piston(s) strikes the back of the pad(s).
I did all that both times I applied the CRC stuff which is why it's so frustrating that the brake squeal has gotten worse. I liberally applied the grease along all contact points that need it. Could there be something wrong with the brakes or rotors?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I trust the OP properly bedded the brakes?

My Pilot had a problem when I changed to new rotors (slotted/dimpled) and used some Hawk HP pads. I bedded the brakes and used the CRC stuff too. At first things seemed fine for a couple of weeks and then the high pitched squeak came...

We would get a high pitched squeal at low speeds only- high speeds seemed fine (or we could not hear it possibly?). I did the same things as the OP to no avail. My wife got sick of the noise and brought the Pilot to a shop and naturally they wanted to replace EVERYTHING with OEM parts. I insisted that they only replace the pads and that resolved the issue.

short take:
you might have an incompatibility with rotors and pads- especially if you have slots or holes in the rotors. It seems like that should not happen if both parts come from same manufacturer but you never know.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to turn the rotor.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
So the rotors are new and the pads aren't? Maybe you need new pads.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Next time the noise is heard, push harder on the pedal and see if noise stops.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by musty hustla
So the rotors are new and the pads aren't? Maybe you need new pads.
I said I replaced the pads and rotors together. I bedded the brakes immediately after I installed them.

Originally Posted by musty hustla
Next time the noise is heard, push harder on the pedal and see if noise stops.
It does stop, but only temporarily. The noise comes mostly when braking slowly from 5-10 mph
Old 01-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
My Brakemotives + Centric/StopTech PosiQuiet ceramics squeak in forward and reverse at slow parking lot speeds, but only after the car has been sitting a while. Maybe one or two slow speed squeaks only and then it's gone. Wen I get back in the car after work and it's been sitting for a few hours, it will squeak again for one or two slow speed applications, then it's quiet.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cust0mx
It does stop, but only temporarily. The noise comes mostly when braking slowly from 5-10 mph
Then you didn't do what was explained earlier.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Racer

Then you didn't do what was explained earlier.
What might that be? I bedded the brakes just like I was supposed to and originally had no issues with the sound. It started slowly after a couple of weeks so I reapplied the grease but lately it has gotten much worse.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cust0mx
What might that be? I bedded the brakes just like I was supposed to and originally had no issues with the sound. It started slowly after a couple of weeks so I reapplied the grease but lately it has gotten much worse.
Normally, if the brakes make a noise under light application and the noise stops with increased foot preesure, the pads are moving ever so slightly inside the caliper, but with heavier pressure, the pads are held tightly and no movement.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Racer

Normally, if the brakes make a noise under light application and the noise stops with increased foot preesure, the pads are moving ever so slightly inside the caliper, but with heavier pressure, the pads are held tightly and no movement.
Assuming I take the pads out and reapply a synthetic grease, how can I ensure that the pads won't move?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Or try this take the pads rub on the floor and put it back.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I just googled 'brakemotive rotors and pads squealing'. Lots of hits across different car types so the OP is not in a unique situation. If you want to stop the squeling, I would take the car to a professional mechanic and/or replace pads with OEM or maybe DuraLast.

I don't recall the OP saying if these rotors were drilled/slotted. It seems that these types of rotors might aggravate the 'vibration' issue which leads to squalling brakes at low speeds based on my personal experience and apparently others too.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I put on a brakemotive kit in November of 2012. Drilled and slotted rotors and the powerstop pads.

I bedded them as best I can living in the city. Everything was fine for a few months and then shortly after I got the brake squeal when turning/driving in parking lots after being sitting for a few hours. Not bad, it goes away soon after and never comes back until I park and drive again the next day at work.

I'll be going with blanks from XLR8 and a good set of pads. This was my first set of D/S rotors, and it will be my last unless I go slotted.

I still have quite a bit of brake pad left of mine, but they have recently started making horrific sounds when stopping at highway speeds and the shutter from them makes my car feel like it's falling apart if I try to really get it stopped.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:49 PM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by 07BLKTL
I put on a brakemotive kit in November of 2012. Drilled and slotted rotors and the powerstop pads.

I bedded them as best I can living in the city. Everything was fine for a few months and then shortly after I got the brake squeal when turning/driving in parking lots after being sitting for a few hours. Not bad, it goes away soon after and never comes back until I park and drive again the next day at work.

I'll be going with blanks from XLR8 and a good set of pads. This was my first set of D/S rotors, and it will be my last unless I go slotted.

I still have quite a bit of brake pad left of mine, but they have recently started making horrific sounds when stopping at highway speeds and the shutter from them makes my car feel like it's falling apart if I try to really get it stopped.
the noise breaking i higher speeds are more annoying then the pads squeaking.

VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 01-11-2014, 08:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
this works

anti seize on the shims. stopped front and rear brake squeal immediately after application. I used the copper based stuff
Old 01-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 539 Posts
I have the exact same issue with my brakemotives. Embarrassing when people are in the car with me. But I do love the lack of brake dust compared up stock brembos, which made a horrific amount of dust.