3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often MID requires ATF change after 1st one (60K miles)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How often MID requires ATF change after 1st one (60K miles)

Anyone knows how often the MID states a Automatic Transmission Fluid is required after the first change at around 60K miles?
Old 08-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Every 30k after the initial change. You would be wise to change the ATF every 30k and not wait for 60K for the first change.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Agree with changing it every 30k, it's cheap insurance, and much more affordable than a new transmission.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
yeah every 30K unless you live in rush hour traffic, then I would do it once a year.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
read the gen2 horror stories and you will want to change it once a year-

do at least the minimal 3 qt drain and replace.
Some do a full changeout with 9 or 12 qts..about 100 bucks worth of fluid total but good insurance on the trans,,plus if ever a problem acura is more willing to help cars with documented trans care
Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
The failures were attributed to certain driving conditions that could overheat second gear and create a transmission problem. Changing of the ATF would not have eliminated this problem, as only the revision to the cooler line that increased the flow of lubricant would correct this condition. When the cars were brand new people experienced this transmission problem.
Actually the ATF fluid is 100,000 mile fluid and to be changed at this interval unless under severe conditions than 60,000 miles. Certainly changing sooner isn’t going to hurt anything other than your pocket.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:27 AM
I fixed the glitch

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I changed mine out this weekend at 59K. It looked ok but I drive mainly highway. Mobil 1 ATF seems to be working well. I think I'll end up draining 3 and refilling 3 every 10K, just for cheap insurance.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Team Owner

if you want to know for certain- take a 4 ounce sample and send to oil lab like www.blackstone-labs.com for about 30-40 dollars
they run it thru a mass spectrometer and give printout of all metals and materials in the fluid, the average of all cars tested and the average of your type car

Make suggestion of replace fluid or how much longer you can run it for based on current condition
Im gen2 with trans probs--so I am biased,,fluid at 20k on warranty #1 smells burnt
so its into the dealer--again

AND turbo is correct, it wont cure the general prob of not enough oil going to 2nd- 3rd gear clutches,, AND it cant hurt to keep up on it well before 100 if you drive on Earth

Info: The auto trans clutches are similar to motorcyle `wet clutches`- with several thin plates of friction material stacked on top of each other that keep the trans engaged in gear
When that material gets worn from use, the trans starts to slip and doesnt like to hook up / get friction in the next gear

The prob with waiting to change is the new fluid contains a lot of cleaners which may wash away the crud that was holding the remaining friction material still in place!
At that point the trans already had a problem but now its an immediate problem

best way to avoid prob- watch the use of SS and MAX rpm downshifts into 2nd-3rd
in everyday driving
A track day or several wont hurt it like bad street use will
your everyday freeway use to slow the car is really bad for it and in town- heat in the trans rises
Use the Brakes to slow the car, and the trans to make it go faster
use SS to be in the right rpm-torque/ gear to accellerate off the corner,,
not to use it as brake coming off freeway normally (exceptions apply-these are general)

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 08-24-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Instructor

I was in the dealership today for oil, trans, and differ. oil change and my service rep. informed me that changing the transmission fluid too many times isnt very good for my car! Has anyone had precious problems with the RL 05 transmission?
Old 08-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I dont think changing it repeatedly is bad depending on the intervals you use. If you change it every month thats just overkill and waste of money. I do my moms at 15k on her odyssey just to be safe just a simple drain and refill. But if you flush (using additives like the trans flush crap at autozone etc...) the trans often which I never recommend you can wear out components in the trans.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Chulodee
I was in the dealership today for oil, trans, and differ. oil change and my service rep. informed me that changing the transmission fluid too many times isnt very good for my car! Has anyone had precious problems with the RL 05 transmission?
Same as motor oil or any fluid, can't change it too often. You could change it every 1,000 miles and it isn't going to cause any problems. Should have asked him why would it cause a problem, would enjoy his answer.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Team Owner

service writers are not techs!!!!!!-
only know how to write down complaint,, look up repair times/cost in the computer and SELL to you

I would ask them in front of the service manager~
Old 08-25-2009, 09:59 AM
I fixed the glitch

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
if you want to know for certain- take a 4 ounce sample and send to oil lab like www.blackstone-labs.com for about 30-40 dollars
they run it thru a mass spectrometer and give printout of all metals and materials in the fluid, the average of all cars tested and the average of your type car
Blackstone is a great company and they are very well known on Bobistheoilguy.com. I thought about sending a sample off but the changing of fluid this past weekend was more of a "oh I better do it now" than a "I'm planning on doing it..." sort of an idea. I'm driving the TL to Louisiana for business next month so it's one of my last few weekends in Houston.

I want to hear his/her reasoning. X2 on Turbonut's answer. The guy that told me I was rotating my tires too often (6K -7K miles....) didn't have a bright answer, so I don't expect this answer to be very well versed. Perhaps, it's a well rehearsed answer.

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
service writers are not techs!!!!!!-
only know how to write down complaint,, look up repair times/cost in the computer and SELL to you

I would ask them in front of the service manager~
Exactly.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Every 30k after the initial change. You would be wise to change the ATF every 30k and not wait for 60K for the first change.
But at 30K, make sure you do at least a drain and refill.

Originally Posted by Turbonut
The failures were attributed to certain driving conditions that could overheat second gear and create a transmission problem. Changing of the ATF would not have eliminated this problem, as only the revision to the cooler line that increased the flow of lubricant would correct this condition. When the cars were brand new people experienced this transmission problem.
Actually the ATF fluid is 100,000 mile fluid and to be changed at this interval unless under severe conditions than 60,000 miles. Certainly changing sooner isn’t going to hurt anything other than your pocket.
The fluid will loose heat transfer properties as it ages and gets worn down, the hotter the fluid is the hotter the parts will be due to the laws of nature. (nature loves everything at equilibrium) Essentially the fluid will not be able to absorb the heat from the transmission.

Changing the fluid to many times can harm the transmissions, having an inexpereinced tech do the work can end in disaster. They could strip the bolt/plug for the trans fluid, forget to put in the new fluid, etc. The more you mess with it, the more problems can arise. As well if you are "flushing" using chemicals, you can damage the components in the trans. Use ONLY fluid and no detergents. 3 x 3 fluid exchange is the only way to do it right.

Originally Posted by NAiL05
I dont think changing it repeatedly is bad depending on the intervals you use. If you change it every month thats just overkill and waste of money. I do my moms at 15k on her odyssey just to be safe just a simple drain and refill. But if you flush (using additives like the trans flush crap at autozone etc...) the trans often which I never
recommend you can wear out components in the trans.
Check the response above, the best thing to do is probably change out the fluid (simple drain and refill) every 15K if you do city driving, and probably every 20K if you do ton's of highway. This way the fluid is always fresh, and by the time 60K arives you will have drained and refilled 3x or more already.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
don't forget to change the filter!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
Why do u have to change the ATF every 30K since it states in the Owners Manual (pg. 213) that you should change your ATF every 30K miles if you drive in "mountainous areas with very low vehicle speed"

Same with the Timing Belt. Owners manual (same page) says change every 60K miles

Am I reading this wrong, or have i just misinterpreted everything?
(no threadjack)
Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

u can go 60k on the ATF, but with the way that Honda trannies are nortorous for issues, i think the consensus is to just better be safe than sorry... a drain and refill is just about a $20 job to get a good piece of mind...
Old 08-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Changing the fluid to many times can harm the transmissions, having an inexpereinced tech do the work can end in disaster. They could strip the bolt/plug for the trans fluid, forget to put in the new fluid, etc. The more you mess with it, the more problems can arise. As well if you are "flushing" using chemicals, you can damage the components in the trans. Use ONLY fluid and no detergents. 3 x 3 fluid exchange is the only way to do it right.

So would it be better to just leave it alone?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

So would it be better to just leave it alone?
everything that you mentioned is user error which can happen during a regular oil change... the question is whether or not u should follow the 60k interval, not whether or not the dbag does it right... he should always do it right, you would hope...
Old 08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
everything that you mentioned is user error which can happen during a regular oil change... the question is whether or not u should follow the 60k interval, not whether or not the dbag does it right... he should always do it right, you would hope...
My mechanic works for Acura which is cool cause he know's about my car but its everyone's opinion that has me thinking! I had an Accord with 118K on it and NEVER changed the transmission oil.