Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is my Trans Not Done Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
How is my Trans Not Done Yet?

Hey guys! Back again with more imaginary problems :P Only thing my trans does is like clunk (sometimes, but not every time, very weird), if you will, like the whole body will lurch when it goes into drive, but, my neighbor has a 2007/2008 TL I can see from literally 50 feet away doing the same thing, so, I'm inclined to think that's normal or a mount or whatever lol.

--SO--

Serious question: at 281k miles, how is my trans not done? Other than the previous owner having had it rebuilt, which I doubt but can't tell. It hardly even feels old compared to the other, far lower mileage cars I've drove. Had car since 190k miles. Did the 3x3 trans flush, clutch oil pressure sensors and kept up on the 3 quart fluid changes since. Just feels unreal to have an OEM trans about to his 300k miles, ya know? Then it just goes tomorrow lmfao.

But yeah, check engine light ain't even on. Only thing is does is randomly not start here and there every once in a while, but, always starts up after fiddling around like that pigeon they got to do crazy dances for food pellets in that one experiment, so lol.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 215 Posts
I mean, what year is your car? Is it 04-06 or 07/08? There are plenty of people here (myself included) on an 04-06 original 5AT working perfectly at high mileage. Clunking/lurching into gear can be a result of worn trans mounts.

Like many things in life, if it was properly taken care of before you, then it's got a good chance of lasting longer. *most" failures of the pre-facelift 5AT typically include some sort of neglect of the fluid in combination with harsh driving conditions (all city).

I remember a year or two ago here some guy posted his 400k+ '04 TL with an original trans, I think he said he lived in Iowa where it was all relatively easy highway driving.

252k on my '06 and I still drive it like I stole it, and it shifts perfectly.

Last edited by TheSauceBoss; 11-01-2022 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Ive owned an 06 TL for 3 months almost. Got it at 225,000km. My dad owned it for the past 6 years, and I believe it was one owner before that who kept the car really clean from 0-110,000km (and i assume took care of it maintenance-wise).

No issues since, and other than some control arm rusting out (should have been changed by us before).

I noticed jerking on shifts, especially low speeds which irked me. I did an ATF change (4.5x2 instead of 3x3) first with DW-1 and then Valvoline Maxlife. Shifts have improved like 80-90% since, and Im happy with it. Being a first car, I do really enjoy it!
The following users liked this post:
Tyeland13 (11-26-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Mine is the good 'ol 2007 Acura TL. I'll ask my guy to check out the trans mounts when I take it in. I figured if it was the trans mounts then it'd be more consistent. Sometimes it goes into gear and I can't feel it. Does it damage anything to have bad mounts like that or nah? But yeah man, taking care of cars is something that I notice literally no one does.

I dust off the dash, doors, cup holders, seats, ect. with a duster I keep in the glove box once a day and the difference it makes is crazy. Along with just kicking off my feet before I get in, it's like, idk. I keep 303 on the dash. Always keep up with maintenance. People who just treat their cars like shit; it's like, you people get high interest loans for $16k, beat the piss out of the car and complain when it's "expensive" to have a car?

I kept ALL my receipts for fixing all the shit on my car over the last 100k miles. It's like $500 a month on average to keep it in tip top shape, so, I'll take that over some car loan that'll end up costing the same once I get reamed on interest, depreciation and the eventual repairs.
Old 11-01-2022, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by zoopzop
Mine is the good 'ol 2007 Acura TL.
The 07/08 has a different (more resilient) automatic transmission than the 04-06, and is not prone to the same kind of cooling issues as the pre-facelift cars. Keep up with fluid changes and you'll be fine. Also if you're having issues with it "not starting" once in awhile, disconnect the handsfreelink if you haven't done that already.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss
The 07/08 has a different (more resilient) automatic transmission than the 04-06, and is not prone to the same kind of cooling issues as the pre-facelift cars. Keep up with fluid changes and you'll be fine. Also if you're having issues with it "not starting" once in awhile, disconnect the handsfreelink if you haven't done that already.

Ahh, no, I don't have HFL Disconnected, unless the prior owner did it. I will check! It started happening like... 2 years ago. Just go to start it up and, nothing. Everything lights up, just no crank. It has ALWAYS started anyway after a seemingly random attempts to start it. My battery also dies in like 3 days if I don't disconnect it from the car before leaving on vacation, which I think is the HFL? So, cool man thanks for the tip!
Old 11-01-2022, 06:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My battery also dies in like 3 days if I don't disconnect it from the car before leaving on vacation, which I think is the HFL? So, cool man thanks for the tip!
That certainly sounds like the HFL module draining the battery. If battery has been drained enough times it will become weak itself and need to be replaced.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:49 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Ahh, no, I don't have HFL Disconnected, unless the prior owner did it. I will check! It started happening like... 2 years ago. Just go to start it up and, nothing. Everything lights up, just no crank. It has ALWAYS started anyway after a seemingly random attempts to start it. My battery also dies in like 3 days if I don't disconnect it from the car before leaving on vacation, which I think is the HFL? So, cool man thanks for the tip!
Well if you want to try to disconnect it,
. Obviously, dont go as far as to take of your rearview mirror, as thats the purpose of the video, but shows you how to get into the housing and disonnect.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:00 PM

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts
That's not really the right way to drop the roof console and it runs the risk of damaging the trim. The correct way is to pry out the moonroof switch first, which doesn't put up the fight you see in that video. Once the switch is out, you can reach in and pull the entire console straight down with no drama. This is the procedure in the service manual, but it's kind of scattered across different sections.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Ya these Check engine lights almost never come on. Which is great. I told my brother that I didnt even know if my check engine light worked! But it does come on when I start the car like all the other lights for a test. But ya, My brother has a 2010-ish range rover.. And he said his check engine light is part of the Decor.. He was kinda mad that mine never comes on. But in all fairness, some of the errors in the body control module do not appear in the CEL. You have to log in to the ECM read body control errors.. so that is totally separate. Honda motors are simply the best on the planet.. But their suspensions need improvement

Hey guys! Back again with more imaginary problems :P Only thing my trans does is like clunk (sometimes, but not every time, very weird), if you will, like the whole body will lurch when it goes into drive, but, my neighbor has a 2007/2008 TL I can see from literally 50 feet away doing the same thing, so, I'm inclined to think that's normal or a mount or whatever lol.

--SO--

Serious question: at 281k miles, how is my trans not done? Other than the previous owner having had it rebuilt, which I doubt but can't tell. It hardly even feels old compared to the other, far lower mileage cars I've drove. Had car since 190k miles. Did the 3x3 trans flush, clutch oil pressure sensors and kept up on the 3 quart fluid changes since. Just feels unreal to have an OEM trans about to his 300k miles, ya know? Then it just goes tomorrow lmfao.

But yeah, check engine light ain't even on. Only thing is does is randomly not start here and there every once in a while, but, always starts up after fiddling around like that pigeon they got to do crazy dances for food pellets in that one experiment, so lol.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 11-24-2022 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Plot Twist: my trans died last week
Old 11-25-2022, 08:48 AM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
I know. I saw your other post.