3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many remember your first day with your new 3G?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:31 PM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember it well. 9/18/06. I had sold my '02 Accord EX V6 to CarMax. On delivery day after work, I took the subway to the dealership. All paperwork was already done and I left here with 7 miles on the clock. Drove home all smiles. Took me a lil bit to get used to it as the visibility wasn't as good as in my Accord. Loved the power right away. I went home and picked up my wife and we took a spin that evening.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:29 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i first saw this car at the detrioit auto show...sat in it...this was the brand new baby i wanted to replace the tweener car i had been driving.

the week leading up to the day of purchase...my brother had already started planning the mods to the TL (CAI, exhaust) and i hadn't even gotten to the point of pulling the trigger. that was a monday.

by wed, the salesman i had been communicating with for 3 months just on price, finally gets down to the range i was looking to spend. never once test drove the car. i finally commit. i go in last day of the month, last day of the quarter, at the 11th hour (well an hour before they closed)...the car just arrived that monday off the truck...the salesman already reserved it for me before i committed. i get there, and its a beauty. we spend over an hour trying to haggle a little bit more...then i frantically go to strip the trade in down (roof rack and all the other crap in it) and carefully place them all in the TL. we didn't leave that night from the dealer until 11:45p. we were the last to leave. the salesman asked me if i wanted him to go over everything in the car with him...i said its ok, we'll figure it out...its late and i'm tired.

the drive home...well it was a couple yrs since i drove MT...so i was a little nervous. managed to get home and like riding a bike, driving the car was easy. after a few days getting used to driving stick again...its been great ever since. oh, and the first mod came 4 months later (thanks big brother!)
Old 08-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Smile

I shopped for about six months before deciding on a new TL. This was my fourth new car but the price was more than I paid for my house many years ago. I had fallen in love with the TL when I saw it at a Miami car show... especially the multi-colored instruments and the reported performance numbers.

I ordered my TL in black with a camel interior and specifically told the dealer not to clean it up. I told them just to leave the protective plastic sheets on it and I would take it like that. I didn't want the apes in the Get Ready department touching it.

They called me around April 10, 2004 to tell me the car was in. A week earlier, I had borrowed an owner's manual from them and read it every night in anticipation. I rushed to the dealer and the salesman showed me a black TL, all spit-polished and shiny saying, "Here's your new car."

I said, "It's not MY new car! It's been detailed. I told you not to touch my car. It's written on the order. I'm not accepting it so you might as well re-order my car and listen to my instructions."

They were able to divert an identical car, 5AT with Navi that was in the chain and I picked it up in two weeks. I spent the next three days in my garage, peeling off the protective plastic, washing with Dawn, clay barring to get the rail dust off, three applications of Zaino, painting the brake calipers, and then taking it for some nice long rides and photo shoots.

It is in the same condition today as I have meticulously babied it for the last 7 1/2 years. It has always been garaged and I don't drive it in the rain. I won't even drive it on a gravel/dirt road. Every oil change (annual) I send a sample to the lab to monitor engine condition. Only use Mobil 1. I've already changed the brake fluid twice, changed the coolant, changed the ATF twice and only have about 23k miles on it. No cracks in the leather or dash. Still looks like new.

Last year, I got a Mercedes-Benz Coupe - a fantastic car. But the TL is a better car for a road trip. More features than the Benz.

I have decided I have two many cars -a fact that came home at insurance renewal time! Reluctantly, I will be selling my TL because the M-B is newer and still under warranty for another 2 years. But I will never forget the "honeymoon" with the TL.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember sitting out front, locking the car to hear the beep, and then unlocking it to see the interior lights turn on.

After owning a Civic, this was a luxury car that I was not used to.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I've had 2 3G TLs. I will tell about the first one. In Oct of '08, I picked up my brother and we drove 2 1/2 hours to go get my car. It was an '05 silver TL with 25k miles on it. I had gone the week before and test driven it in the rain. Was nervous because I wasn't 100% sure I really wanted to buy a car but was also excited by the prospect of owning a TL.

We arrived around 11:00 am. Met the seller at a bank. Did the paperwork, money exchange thing and then my brother drove my '00 Accord V6 Coupe back and I drove my new TL. I loved it. It was so much more luxurious and sporty than my Accord. I was very impressed with the car. Got back home around 5:00 pm and had to take a quick shower and change to drive another hour to take my girl to a Michael Buble concert that night and then drive another hour back home. Spent a lot of time on the road that day. Was completely exhausted when I finally got home around midnight.

Woke up the next morning and peeked in my garage and this cheeky grin came on my face. I was so elated. Spent the day detailing it to my high standards and then took it and showed it off a bit to friends and family.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems like only yesterday, but it was 7/7/2011. I took a long lunch from work to go drop off my crappy Chrysler, sign a bunch of papers, and drive away a very happy man! While doing the paperwork the salesman, a good friend of mine, said he had an extra ticket to the Further show that night, so I took the drive from Buffalo up through Niagara Falls, giving me my first chance to really open her up on the highway, and watched a killer show.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
I remember it well! We stopped to eat immediately after I picked it up at the dealer, I was thinking all the instruments made me feel like I was in a plane cockpit.
Then the next morning with 19 MILES on it a old lady slammed into my passenger quarter panel as I was driving to the local bank causing $8,000 in damage. %$#@&*^%$$ In her deposition she said: I didn't see him, he was driving so fast I just pulled out. Yea, 25 mph is fast huh?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Aah.. yes. I recall.

Went to Buerkle Acura to test drive an auto 2008 TL-S and see if they might be able to find me a 6MT. Since they only dealt with pre-owned that they sold/leased initially the chances were slim. Regardless, took car out for a spin. Didn't get on the car much because I didn't care about the automatic; I did love how the car felt though.

Returned back to the dealership only to find out a 2008 ASM TL-S 6MT just came back as a lease return. Warm engine still making the usual ticking noises as I walked up to it. Asked if I could test drive it. Off I went, and the playfulness that eluded me in the automatic TL-S hit full force.

Once back from that test drive I negotiated and purchased the car on the spot. It took longer than expected because it was so fresh as a turn in, there were no inventory numbers assigned to it. Regardless, I left the dealership anxiously awaiting the phone call once the certified pre-owned inspection took place.

Today... I'm still beyond pleased I went TL rather than G35S sedan. Granted I love both cars, but the styling of the TL wins hands down in terms of interior and exterior. I've just begun actually pushing the car through the ringer to test its capabilities.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Closed the trunk on my pinky in the middle of nowhere. Both keys and phone were in the car..couldn't call for help. Just pulled my finger out lol it was black for months.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 AM
'15 TLX V6 ADV

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was at work .. browsing for TL's just for the hell of it at work... Found one at a great price at West Side Volkswagen pre owned.. During lunch drove my shi*ty Camry to their nice dealership and automatically fell in love all over again with this TL.. next day paid cash drove home Excited as hell. End of story. Wasnt even planning on purchasing a TL..
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
I had bought the car and everything was said and done but they hadn't detailed it yet, so I had to wait another day to actually drive it

Next day after work I drove to the dealer, got the keys from my salesman, adjusted the seats, had to have the salesman turn the headlights on (I knew nothing of any of the switches) and so I set off to my gf's house, picked her up and took her to dinner (It was Valentine's day ) and then I got to drive it home after and I just sat in it for like 5 mins looking at everything, then standing outside and looking at the lights, the paint and then I locked it up and went to bed.

Good day overall
Old 06-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Originally Posted by TVL65
In her deposition she said: I didn't see him, he was driving so fast I just pulled out. Yea, 25 mph is fast huh?
When you're old, 25 looks like 55.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I drove to Vancouver with my Papa to pick up the last WDP '08 Type S in western Canada. I felt pretty baller
Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
I had bought the car and everything was said and done but they hadn't detailed it yet, so I had to wait another day to actually drive it

Next day after work I drove to the dealer, got the keys from my salesman, adjusted the seats, had to have the salesman turn the headlights on (I knew nothing of any of the switches) and so I set off to my gf's house, picked her up and took her to dinner (It was Valentine's day ) and then I got to drive it home after and I just sat in it for like 5 mins looking at everything, then standing outside and looking at the lights, the paint and then I locked it up and went to bed.

Good day overall
I drove out of the dealer at night in my shiny new TL and got a block and a half before I realized my lights were off and I couldnt figure out how to turn them on (nothing was lit). Had to pull off the side of the road lol.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got mine a month ago from a private owner. It was an hour away and I could not believe my luck in finding a 2006 TL with only 12,500 miles on it. The lady never even drove it in the winter and she rode the bus to work. I felt like I won the lottery since she gave me a fantastic deal on this gem.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
I had already decided what I wanted so I shopped all the regional dealers via email. Made a deal with Flow Acura in Winston-Salem (~100 miles from home). Got it all set up so I only had to sign and drive at the dealership - we'd even selected the specific stock number and had them remove the dealer decal and the pinstripes. We drove the '02 up there on a Saturday.

My first post was the day before pick up asking about break-in and how to avoid constant speed for the drive home.

My wife drove the '02 home. She was in the lead and I had her on the look out for .

In order to not drive at a constant speed (bad for break in), I was dropping back and speeding up, using SS. Basically drove the two hours home falling back at 50 or 55 and then catching up at 80 or 90-ish mph. It was fun. .
Old 06-06-2012, 11:49 PM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
Ive only had it for 3 months buttttttt, I have always wanted a TL since someone had one at my apartment complex. I was driving a van (hit a deer in my old camry) and hated when i would pick up girls/new friend/etc etc and they would say something about my ride. Although it had 2x12" rockfords in the back it never was a crowd pleaser. So when i got my new job I saved up enough to put a good down payment on it and started searching. My dream one was a NBP with less then 70k mi. Never found one in the price range I wanted but I found one from where I was from in Columbia missouri. I emailed the dealer we discussed everything and I went to pick it up one weekend. I asked them if the finacing is complete and all i need to do is sign the papers they agreed and so I drove 9 hours overnight from AL to Columbia. I get there and wait 4hours for them to finish everything up. Financing department didnt set up ANYTHING like i asked so they were going to get the best rate. So in the end I didnt take the car home. A week later everything was done they drove it to me and I signed the papers. After I got home i saw that they didnt give me my bill of sale so I could see the charges and everything else that was on their. Turns out they added 1480 more then we agreed, they did not pay my sales tax/tag fees like we agreed and there was side wall damage to the front right tire. When i contacted them they never responded. Got a lawyer and sent them letters but because I signed for the car without seeing the charge I had to eat the extra 2400 for everything...Joe Machens in Columbia Missouri is the worst dealership ever, especially since this was my first car I have ever purchased. Besides that when i got it I drove 5mi without the lights on (11pm at night) and when i turned on the HIDs it blew my mind to be able to see farther then 20ft.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I had already decided what I wanted so I shopped all the regional dealers via email. Made a deal with Flow Acura in Winston-Salem (~100 miles from home). Got it all set up so I only had to sign and drive at the dealership - we'd even selected the specific stock number and had them remove the dealer decal and the pinstripes. We drove the '02 up there on a Saturday.

My first post was the day before pick up asking about break-in and how to avoid constant speed for the drive home.

My wife drove the '02 home. She was in the lead and I had her on the look out for .

In order to not drive at a constant speed (bad for break in), I was dropping back and speeding up, using SS. Basically drove the two hours home falling back at 50 or 55 and then catching up at 80 or 90-ish mph. It was fun. .
I was already racing mine with 8 miles on the odo. Break-in is highly overrated lol. I did wait until it had 100 miles on it before it saw the freeway.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:13 AM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
So many people got theirs on a rainy day..... So did I. lol

I first went to see a TL Type-S I had saw online at my local dealer. It was about 7 or 8 at night and it was dark out. It was NBP with tan interior. I was underwhelmed by the color combo and way less excited than I thought I would be. My friend even commented about how she expected more... Dealer didn't show much about the car but came out and asked us if we wanted to go on a test drive. He didn't know much about the car and was trying to sell me on an Accord Coupe. First time I drove it I accidently put it in low. Once I got it going I was nervous about it and didn't give it a "real" test drive.

Fast forward a month before my birthday, I find one on Craigslist. NBP, two tone interior, black A-spec rims, tinted windows. I make the hour and a half drive and I meet the guy at his place. Had to wait 20 mins for him to come home because he was out for whatever reason. Now it's raining out and kind of overcast so the weather isn't the greatest. I look in my side mirror and I see him driving up in it and it was a love at first sight type of thing My friend who was with me actually said "That's it? No way..." I was completely sold on it when I saw it and for some weird reason it looked even better all wet. He let me drive it to the place where we were getting it checked out and I knew I had to have it. I kept smiling and telling my friend how I was going home with this car. We all ended up walking over to a Wendy's a chatted with the guy about the car while they were checking it out. Luckily he ended up being really cool and it wasn't an awkward hour and a half of staring at each other. Luckily everything checked out and he drove to get the money and showed me what it could really do.

That was the good part.... On the drive home(hour and a half) it was pouring down, and the mist from the rain hitting the road and the other cars was ridiculous. You could barely see a few car lengths in front of you. 10 minutes into my drive home I manage to hit some water that collected on the freeway and my traction control kicked in and the car started to brake hard. Needless to say it scared the shit out of me, but I'm also sure it kept the car from going into the outside wall. Happened one other time and for the rest of the ride home I was on edge and trying to sort of stay away from other cars. Was going kind of fast, but it kept me from bunching up with other cars, but it wasn't an unsafe speed. Got to listen to music the entire way home which helped. My friend said he could feel the tires slipping on my '97 Maxima that he drove home(no traction control)

Got home and went and was tired from being all tense. Once I got up the next day and saw it outside I couldn't stop smiling. I sat in it for about 10 minutes after I got up and messed with the navigation and seat position. I did love my Maxima, and it was my first car and all, but this car is just better in every way. Looks, luxury, and performance wise. And needless to say I had to show it off to all of my friends and who were jealous.

Awesome topic.
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (06-23-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember. Traded in my TSX. Drove home 4 hours from DC. Next day, took it on vacation with my then girlfriend and a bunch of friends. Great times.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
After reading Healingduck's post, it reminds me of when I brought my GN home. I was 17, took it out and raced everything on the street. Got home late at night and parked it in front of my bedroom window where I could see it. I just kept staring at it all night. Some kids dream of Lambos and Ferraris, I had always wanted a GN and it seemed unreal that I actually had one. Off topic but I remember that feeling of your first car and not wanting to let it out of your sight. The TL was kind of the same way except I wasn't quite as obsessive. I was surprised everytime I looked at it at how good it looked both inside and out.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
after my dad brought it back home I came back from san diego on the weekend to pick it up. It was night, and i just sat in the car looking over it and feeling super excited.

Parents wouldn't let me take it out right then and there saying I could do that first thing in the morning, so instead I sat inside and enjoyed the stereo system and the blue gauges
Old 06-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many good narratives here. I'll share mine.

5/29/10 - A bittersweet day. I abandoned the car I had driven since high school. In its place, a beautiful, reliable, efficient, safe precision machine for my wife. I stared at it all afternoon, pondering the turning point in my life that had just occurred; but I'll never look back.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:25 AM
4G Acura TL SH-AWD/TECH

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The first day i had it i hadn't gotten it registered or insured. so i fiddled around with the navigation and radio, but then nightfall came and i could not resist. backed it out the garage and did a few miles driving as conservatively as possible. it was a beautiful moment, that's all i could say. the interior at night truly hit me at how well thought out the car was done.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My first day, I was happy but then almost threatened to take it back to the dealer....because the VSA light kept coming on.

...then I realized my knee kept bumping into the switch when getting into the car. Coincidentally, the light hasn't come on since
Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by narnia
The salesperson spent an hour sitting in the car with me showing me all the bells and whistles. My head was spinning. I was so overwhelmed and mesmerized by the car I couldn't remember anything he told me!

It was pouring when I drove home and they had left the heat on high. I was driving on the highway and couldn't figure out how to turn the heat off, and I couldn't open the windows because of the rain. I was cursing all the way home!
I was going to make fun of you... but I just realized something.. after 4 years of this TL, I still have to stop and read panel to figure out how dual climate works and just how to turn on the AC.. Finally I have it memorized in my head, in order to turn on AC, press the Fan+ button. And then, I have to look around and read, and try to find the fan+ button. Sounds pretty crazy I know.

Something even more crazy, try to memorize all the voice commands. Today I was too lazy to press the fan+ button.. so I looked for the the voice command button and tried the command, "Fan 5". And it worked! It automatically changed the speed after like 3 seconds.

But you have to remember that it won't take your command, or change your command until you hear the Beep. So I had to do ALL THAT inside of pressing the Fan+ button. haha fun times!

I mean it's a little too complicated for your average grandma driving a TL. Don't ya think? haha

But on my 1st day, I pulled into a place to fill up. dealers keep it low on gas. So I left the dealer and I remember the right side dash. How modern it looked. Something about the passenger side has a nice curvature to it. My Camaro was not too nice in that area. Plus this car was bigger and all the technology. Navi too. I felt like a my world got a little bigger. Like a little kid. And for an instant, my past was wiped away with a sense of security. Amazing... So anyway, back to reality, I pull in to get gas and I feel like everyone is watching me. Like from the curb. I was thinking, I know this feels weird to drive a new car , but surely I don't look like I am driving a new car... Why are they looking? Surely they dont know I just got a new car.. hahaha (btw, it was used when I got it)

Last edited by Chad05TL; 06-23-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
Ohh yes I sure do remember, I also remember 12 hours later the next morning when the old lady slammed into my quarter panel with less then 18 miles on the car.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
I remember I was going to NJ to see a 07 Type S AT NBP with ebony interior at Ramsey Acura on Thursday (I took a vactaion day off work), but I went to cars.com and check to see if the car still for sale then I saw a 07 MRP Type S with Taupe interior in Hartford CT, I went there and check it out instead. I remember asking about the car on the phone with the sale man and he was like "I think you should wait for tomorrow to come down and look at the car because it kinda dirty now". I told the guy that I want to see the car now because I want to see the current condition, what car doesn't looks good when you wax and buff them out right? Test drove the car on highway, I remember it was several dealer there including Mercedes Benz, BMW, Mini, Toyota, Honda, Carmax Mazda, Subaru and Volvo who also had customer going out to test drive in the same course, saw a brand new 12 BMW X5 took off as soon as he hit the ram into highway then I punch the TL. The sale man grab and hold on to the ceiling handle, after the initial test drove I put down deposit and as I signed the paper work I saw the TL still park out side the show room it cause so many head turning the MRP kinda stand out lol. Pick the car up on Sat, before I picking up the TL I test drove a 2012 Honda Accord EX-L V6 sedan and found out that the 3.5 in the Accord isn't quite powerful as my TL. I was happy on the way home with my new TL because its luxury and it hug the road very well when I want it to be.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:55 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
I remember trying to race a BMW 745 You know how the story ends.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Drove it, filled up the tank just before getting home, then parked it.

:p
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 PM
ADVANCE DRIVER

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Gosh. I remember it well. Took a trip to Columbus Ohio from Huntington WV after almost 2 weeks of over the phone deals to purchase my 04 TL off the Lindsay Acura show room floor. I saw her on Auto trader and it was done from there. I remembered pulling up in my 99 piece of ahit Mazda Millenia, which I only deem that because every corner of that car was wrecked. I saw my TL an literally turned to my dad and salesman and said "No...this is NOT my car. No way can I possibly be buying this nice of a car?!" and here I am 6 years later with the best looking TL in the tri state area. Ah...what a good day it was