Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many people finance vs lease

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how many people finance vs lease

i have talked to dealerships all week and everyone i have spoke to claims that more people lease then buy...one dealership told me they lease out 80%%% of their vehicles...

i have been crunching numbers for 2 weeks now, i dont know if anyone remembers when the TL came out, leasing was available for $359 a month, of course as residual prices drop the cost of leasing goes up...i have never leased before...so right now im stuck between either leasing the new TL or buying the TSX.....looking for the White Diamond Pearl with navi and quartz leather interior...all leases i received are 48 months with 3000-4000 down and about 450-485 a month.....one guy came in with 3700 down and 379 a month which was an awesome deal but get this, once i had him add in the NAVIGATION he quoted me an extra 100 dollars a month for 48 months...479 a month, the most navigation should go for a month is between $30 low end to as much as $60 bucks....
Old 06-16-2004, 10:17 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
<-Finance.

Leasing in NY costs too much now too.

www.saveleasing.org
Old 06-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Pro

Well the first off the Navi price of 100.00 should tell you he is trying to :fingerfawk: . I would find someplace else to go. You have to way your options. Fist thing you have to figure out is how many miles you get each year. I wouldnt settle for anything less than 12k a year. If you go over your mileage you have to pay a predetermined amount that can be anywere from .02-.50. The next thing you have to remember when a lease is up you have absolutly nothing, nada, zilch. So If you dont mind paying for a car for 4 years and have to give it back then leasing isnt a bad idea. If you lease and you go to turn your car in and the tires are bad or the body is scratched and dented or the interior is messed up. You pay for all that before you turn it in. Now if you want a new car every 3-4 years and dont care about making a car payment everymonth then lease. Now as far as the TSX and the TL go they are 2 similar but very diffirent cars. If that makes sense. If you can wait a couple of months and save that 400.00 dollars and turn that into a big downpayment you could get your self a TL. Dont buy the TSX if you really want the TL you wont be happy. Another thing to look at is a used TL. If your not in a real hurry you can find TL's on EBAY or the AUTO trader. You can usually save your self a couple of thousand and pick up a low mile navi car for around 30k,31k. Not to mention when the 05's come out later on this year the 04 should be easier to get a deal on. Hope this helps if you need anything else just ask.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:35 PM
3rd Gear

rescueswimmer, thanks....i do not drive over 12,000...i probably put around on avg 100-150 miles a week on my car now..so 12,000 is just fine....now the question i have about leasing is, after the 3 or 4 years that i drive the car, when you return the car, lets say you have a few minor scratches on the bumber and ding in the front drivers door and another on the passenger door...do they charge you for this, or is this considered wear and tear on the vehicle....with leasing comes a lot of problems in my opinion, i have driven the TL and its a nice ride, i have trade in i can put down if i do decide to finance and some money....i would be putting down approx. 6500-8000k, right now i pay 300 for my car that i finance...had it for 3 years and looking to trade it in....so the decision stands at TL white diamond pearl/nav/quartz or TSX white/nav/oem body kit with mugen grill..tsx doesnt come with quartz option only parchment....i was also thinking of waiting till the end of 2004 but really want something new for the summer....
Old 06-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Pro

Im not 100% sure since I have never leased I think its a waste of money. I know the dings in the door would have to be fixed some light scratches you might be able to get a way with. I know tires have to be in good shape etc. Its really up to the dealer cause there is a check off sheet you can read before you lease. Dont believe anything they tell you about dont worry about dings and dents. Well you should be able to negotiate a navi auto tl for around 32,5k no more than 33k unless you live in California. Then you have to add the body kit you want etc. If you finance 27k then your payment at 4.59% is going to be right about 500.00 a month. I know its hard to wait but the 04 TL is almost a year old and will be 1 model year old as soon as the 05 comes out. It is really hard for me to recomend buying anything now since you lose about 10% as soon as you drive off the lot and as soon as your car is 1 model year old ad 10-15% more. So you could actually be driving a car that is 2 months old with 1 years worth of depreciation. Now if you can buy it right then those numbers dont really matter. Im in the same boat Im waiting for an 05 or a great deal on an 04.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Cruisin'

Leasing only has 15% of the new car market and it is dropping. With interest rates at nearly historic lows there is no reason to lease. You would lose the residual upside and end up with nothing at the end of the term. Is it better to rent an apartment or purchase a home? End of story.

Karl
Old 06-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaps
Leasing only has 15% of the new car market and it is dropping. With interest rates at nearly historic lows there is no reason to lease. You would lose the residual upside and end up with nothing at the end of the term. Is it better to rent an apartment or purchase a home? End of story.

Karl
Not the best analogy (homes appreciate in value - cars don't) but I agree with the spirit of the e-mail - with finance rates so low, there's no reason to lease, especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle through the end of the finance term. It'll be worth something on trade. Lease = endless payments.