56.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

How Many Had/Have RATTLES?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Many Had/Have RATTLES?

I know this has been discussed and polled but I'm looking to find out how many of you had rattles at delivery or later developed them vs. those of you who have none.
I have a rattle in what sounds like the passenger side door that is driving me NUTS!! It's been there since I drove the car off the lot 2 weeks ago. I will bring the car back to the dealer, but I'm afraid they won't be able to identify where it's coming from...I can't.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your votes.

PS - You can choose more than one answer if applicable.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:17 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your passenger seat belt. Most of the time it twists and buckle face the B-Pillar and rattles on it. I'm sure you might have checked this already. But just a note.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. I.T (08-18-2011)
Old 09-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Where does that rattle come from? B pillar or upper frame or door panel?
Old 09-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 09-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rets
Sounds like the lower door panel.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by EMF213
Sounds like the lower door panel.
Close to the map pocket, door handle, the front, the back, or armrest?
Old 09-17-2004, 03:30 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JoganJani
Check your passenger seat belt. Most of the time it twists and buckle face the B-Pillar and rattles on it. I'm sure you might have checked this already. But just a note.

Good point! Happened to me!
Old 09-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rets
Close to the map pocket, door handle, the front, the back, or armrest?
Sounds like close to the map pocket but it's really hard to tell. Obviously I'll check the pocket as I know it folds out, but sometimes I think it's coming from where the door meets the edge of the dash...
Old 09-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Intermediate

I've got several: sunroof shade, console, etc. and it is really pssing me off. This is the first car I've owned in 10 years that has rattled like this. And the real problem is, the rattles are intermittant sometimes, so the dealer has trouble fixing them. I guess you can't even buy an Acura first model year. I was considering the new RL, but I guess I'll have to wait a year for the bugs to get worked out.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:13 AM
4th Gear

I also have several rattles. The first is a common crackling-sound one located at the top of the driver's door. There are many comments regarding the driver-side window rattle. I have a similar rattle in my 2002 TL-S. I also have a loud rattle in the map-light console, however, this has diminished in frequency over time. I recently developed one on the passenger side of the car but have not been able to locate it. I love the TL's, especially my new 2004 6MT, except for the rattles. The rattles drive me absolutely nuts! I have not taken the 2004 TL to the dealer yet since they failed to fix the rattle in my 2002 TL-S after three attempts.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Racer

passenger side door rattle (near map pocket), rear center speaker(sub) rattle, rear passenger side near speaker rattle. those are the only major ones i have. the rest i ignore.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:22 PM
6th Gear

Rattles

Here are my rattles on my 2004 TL:

1) I have a rattle from the subwoofer with certain frequencies - dealer said it's a common problem and I have to bring my car during a weekday to get it fixed because they have to pull the panels out to get to it to fix it.

2) It sounds like a metal bracket is loose under the car around the area of the catalytic converter. It's a very fast high-pitched rattle that can be mistaken for a hiss. It happens when the car is in drive, and the accelerator is pressed very lightly.

3) There is a rattle from the map pocket area. Sometimes not at all, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I can stop it from happening if I leave the map pocket door open.

4) Sometimes there is a rattle somewhere by the air vent on top of the dashboard on the passenger side near the door.

5) There is a loud rattle from the glove box when going over a road that's not smooth. If I open the glove box and slam it, it goes away temporarily sometimes. I think the lobster claw clasp on the door is loose.

Anyone experience these? Solve these? Had the deal fix them?
Old 09-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had no rattle for the first month. Then:
1. Rear metal clicking noise (dealer fixed after damaging plastic parts-replaced).
2. Rear deck vibration without music on.
3. Driver side window frame noise.
4. Passenger side door frame poping noise.
5. Gove box rattle.
6. Driver side head rest rattle.
7. I am sure there will be more.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Racer

WOW!! 82% have/had rattles!! That's a big number!
Old 10-02-2004, 05:39 PM
clintrob

had my car 2 weeks now... I'm in the process of identifying rattles... so far they are intermitant... the ones I've noticed so far:

glove box rattle (open and shut it and it seems to have fixed, for now)
passenger side door rattle (somewhere near the map pocket and the speaker)
Old 10-02-2004, 06:17 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ive found that the passenger door rattle next to the fold out pocket is actually the "sunglass holder" cause its loose. thats something that is farily common. take it out, your passenger doesnt need a place to put his/her sunglasses. most cars only have one for the driver anyway. crappiest sunglass holder ive ever seen..... its a rubberized pocket.

ive had that rattle as well as one that i couldnt figure out for the longest time. it was comming from the driver side door way up in the front next to the gauge cluster. it was pissing me off cause it would only be on the freeway and i can't opent he door to figure it out on the freeway. about half an hour of searching and i figured it out. that bastard rattle was comming not from the door, but from the front/sdie panel of the gauge panel that you can not see unless the door is open. in a Quartz interior, the panels there are of 2 shades of gray. where those 2 shades of gray meet, is where the problem lies. stupid glue.

ive heard of people saying that the glue in the TL is defective. i found some gunk leaking out just under the buttons for my MID. in between the 2 panels that are different shades of gray in my interior.

hence the headliner falling... ridiculous. defective glue....
Old 10-02-2004, 10:42 PM
VTEC is happiness

Kill the sunglass holder rattle

Well, I have been on a rattle kill quest for a month now. Funny how a problem that is not related to the mechanics of the car can torture you so much. I have eliminated (for now anyway) the sunglass holder rattle. As noted previously, these stupid things are quite loose, and over time they begin to shift in place and hit the surrounding plastic of the fold-out map pocket (which I really like by the way, makes accessing the bottom much easier). Anyway, if you don't want to actually remove the holder (I am too stubborn), then you can "pad" around the outside of the hard plastic piece. I would advise going to Home Depot and purchasing a packet of those firm plastic dots that stick to anything, as well as a packet of sticky felt circles (like you see on the bottom of chair legs). Now, remove the sunglass holder and place one of the felt pads on the bottom. Take one of your other sticky noise eliminators and place it on the sunglass holder in the area that it comes into contact with the door. If you take a minute to simulate the rattles prior to removal, it will become clear what I am talking about. Now, replace the holder. If positioned correctly, the holder will be held in place firmly and there will be little to no movement possible. And if it does shift, the new pads should prevent any of the plastic-on-plastic noises we all know so well.

Does Honda/Acura HAVE a N/V/H engineering group or not??? Do Accords have these same issues?

I will soon post an overall review of the noises I have (hopefully) eliminated, largely through advice obtained via posts on this website. Good luck and happy hunting...these really are fantastic cars where it counts!
Old 10-03-2004, 07:27 AM
Advanced

Bonedoc-I did the same thing you did to kill the sunglass holder rattle.
My dealer has been pretty good about fixing this stuff. They fixed reardeack sub rattle, visor on passenger side, and third brake light droop.
Now, I have an intermittent rattle right in front of me when I drive. It' s somewhere in the dash and I can't quite figure out where. Not sure what to do yet since I just got it back from the dealer for the other issues.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:34 AM
Racer

Sunglass holder!!!! DOH!!!! Why didn't I think of that??? I taking it out RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!

Thanks guys!

EDIT: It's OUT! Hopefully that's the fix...
Old 10-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Racer

MY RATTLE IS GONE!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

For all you dumb@sses (like me) who have a passenger door rattle and have yet to remove the sunglass holder, Umm......REMOVE IT!!!!!

I am officially RATTLELESS!!!!
Old 10-15-2004, 01:40 PM
2004, Navi TL, Silver

I have the passenger map pocket rattle too. I removed the sunglasses holder the day I bought the car. The only thing I have in there are paper maps (I suppose I don't need them with the Navi). BUT, I still get the rattle. Opening the map pocket one notch fixes that problem, but my passengers close it and I don't really like having a compartment open. Anyone else in this boat or figure out how to fix it?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Racer

I'll have to try opening a notch...I had a minor rattle come back...DOH!!
Old 11-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Any solution to this most annoying problem besides opening it a notch?!

Is there a way to take out the map pocket for a look without removing the whole door panel?!
Old 11-18-2010, 05:48 PM
aka CGC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the subwoofer rattle, but it is gone now since i have no stock speakers anymore. I just got a weird rattle that sounds like its in my dash by the center channel area. Only happens when it is below freezing outside so im not too concerned with it.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
My car is just one big rattle in itself. Everything makes noise; windows, doors, glovebox, trim around the shifter, armrest, etc.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
^baaa. Same here. I went as far as taking trim pieces apart this past weekend to tighten screws, etc. Helped a bit. I found closing the sunroof cover eliminated a rattle. Next up is tightening all screws and bolts around the glovebox and applying felt to the seams. And then there's a maddening rattle coming from the rear deck/subwoofer area when going over bumps.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Sometimes I have an urge to tear out my map pockets all together!!!

I really want to remove it to have a look
Old 11-18-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm Craig

^Map pockets? I've heard if you take out the sunglass holders in the map pockets, that they'll stop rattling. Worth a try. Lets list our rattles in order of most annoying to least.

1) Rattle near gear shift/storage cubbies. Drives me NUTS.
2) Sunroof rattle. Fixed by sliding the sunshade shut.
3) Drivers side window....a subtle, high pitched rattle from the top part of the glass.
4) Left tweeter (on dashboard) rattle.
5) Rear deck/subwoofer area rattle. Heard over big bumps and loud bass-songs.
6) Glovebox rattle. Can't figure out if its the glovebox or the shit in it.
7) Passenger seat sometimes can rattle. Might be the map pocket on that side.

I'd love my car so so so much more if the interior wasn't looser than a French whore. I drive without music 40% of the time and like just listening to the engine and having silence.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
I'd love my car so so so much more if the interior wasn't looser than a French whore. I drive without music 40% of the time and like just listening to the engine and having silence.
Epic!

I agree with all of the rattle prone areas that you listed but I can't think of anymore. Since I got my exhaust I do the same thing you do, drive with no music, but sadly I don't do it often because of the rattles.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I got rid of the rear deck rattle when it was new.

Got rid of the driver's vent rattle years ago.

Got rid of the squeaks by putting Armor All on the door seals twice a year or more.

My newest one is the shifter console. Right now I push down on it and it goes away for a while but eventually comes back. It should be an easy fix. I plan to pull it out and rebend the clips.

It sounds kind of crazy but sometimes having the W6s pounding for a while will cure some of the noises....or I just lose my hearing temporarily.

Mine is pretty much noise free except on cold mornings when I first start driving.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm Craig

^Ihc, how did you go about getting rid of the deck rattle? I've seen some DIYs for it on here, but everything I tried wouldn't stop it. It sounds like its metal on metal almost.

I used silicone lube on the window seal but the squeak came back within a few days. The auto-roll up on my window goes 3/4 of the way up, then stops. Have to manually hold the button for the rest. The glass just barely isn't seated properly in the track. So I know that's the cause of the rattle.

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Epic!

I agree with all of the rattle prone areas that you listed but I can't think of anymore. Since I got my exhaust I do the same thing you do, drive with no music, but sadly I don't do it often because of the rattles.
Indeed. I'm determined to silence these rattles by spring time. It's my ongoing "mod" for now. I think the colder weather and my snow tires (ride pretty rough) are accentuating the issue. The best is when you bang on something and it stops for a few minutes then comes back.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:52 PM
8th Gear

I had some rattles but managed to fix most of them. The one that I don't know how to get to is the trim around the shifter. When the car is cold, it rattles so much that I end up holding it down for the first 10 minutes of my drive. It goes away temporarily, but the next morning its back. Anybody got a solution?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a few inside the car as well, but they seem to come and go. I noticed one when I would pull through drive throughs under the hood. I opened it up when I got home and noticed the plastic cover behind the headlights was really loose. I snapped it back in and I have not been hearing the rattle any more.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Instructor

I've tried removing the sun glass holders but no help. Now, I wish there's a way to remove the map pockets ... take out all the hinges ... and crazy glue to the panel ... i don't care if it opens or not ... i don't use it ... in fact, i always keep nothing in the car anyways ... i am very fed up with both sides door rattle ...
Old 11-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TwitchDogg
Here are my rattles on my 2004 TL:

1) I have a rattle from the subwoofer with certain frequencies - dealer said it's a common problem and I have to bring my car during a weekday to get it fixed because they have to pull the panels out to get to it to fix it.

2) It sounds like a metal bracket is loose under the car around the area of the catalytic converter. It's a very fast high-pitched rattle that can be mistaken for a hiss. It happens when the car is in drive, and the accelerator is pressed very lightly.

3) There is a rattle from the map pocket area. Sometimes not at all, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I can stop it from happening if I leave the map pocket door open.

4) Sometimes there is a rattle somewhere by the air vent on top of the dashboard on the passenger side near the door.

5) There is a loud rattle from the glove box when going over a road that's not smooth. If I open the glove box and slam it, it goes away temporarily sometimes. I think the lobster claw clasp on the door is loose.

Anyone experience these? Solve these? Had the deal fix them?
Wow! i had #1 and #4.
My car was still under warranty by mileage and was expired by time but i had reported it months ago, so i bugged the sh%@ out of them till they decided to replace the woofer with a new one! still does it at times? The rattle in the dash drives me crazy on rough roads at times and we could not figure it out?
Also had a rattle coming from the driver side B-pillar? I was pissed cause the Acura tech had finger prints all over the cloth pillar, so i complained about it and they replaced it with a new one got that fixed 2 days ago! No rattle? still didnt know what caused it?
Old 11-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FKN Acura Canada doesn't cover any of the rattle TSB because they say only the American cars have it. Acura Canada has the worst service ever.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. I.T (08-18-2011)
Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 PM
3rd Gear

For the tweeter/dash rattle:

Get a piece of rubber like a vacuum cleaner belt (1" inch piece is what I used) and stick it in where plastic meet plastics area up where the tweeter (to the right or left of the tweeter) is located and voila the problem will be solved for you - jam the rubber piece in using a pair of scissors or a screwdriver - I found it hard to get my fingers into that corner area cause of the windshield.

I had this problem on my RSX (from day one) and took it into the dealer several times and they foamed the hell out of the area and couldn't get it fixed (and foaming it won't help).

Also the reason why it happens when it's colder out and stops when it's later and hotter in the day is cause stuff expands when it's hotter out ... this is also why it's so hard to duplicate cause after you've been driving a bit the car warms up...

People who live in say Phoenix might be thinking this post is on drugs and never had the problem, but anyone who lives in Chicago and has their dash rattling all winter long might go insane.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Guys, the remedy is very simple...
Turn your stereo volume up (or get a nice sub to kick)

My car is possessed, the rattles vary with the weather and my driving style... G*d Bless those f@ckes in Ohio.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
sigh.. i got rattle from the center dash, upper dash, both passenger/driver doors, rear console.. makes my car feel "cheap" but like TeknoKing^ said above.. i just turn up my music! sometimes it doesnt work because my subs kick in too hard and makes the rattle worst haha
Old 12-03-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm Craig

I silenced TWO of my rattles this week.

1) Driver's side window rattle: buy felt tape (I just used the soft fabric that comes in a roll of Velcro. Bought from Hobby Lobby) and stick a small piece in the upper right corner of the window "sill". Hard to describe the location, but if you have the rattle, you know where the sound is coming from. This piece of felt makes the seal a little bit tighter, so the window can't rattle against the plastic.

2) Glovebox. I'm sure there can be multiple causes of the glovebox rattling but I fixed it by tightening the two bottom screws that hold the glovebox door to the dash.

Quick Reply: How Many Had/Have RATTLES?