3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to handle leather seats that got wet during rain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 11:12 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to handle leather seats that got wet during rain?

The 04TL that I bought in December is the first car that I've owned that has leather seats, so I'm practically clueless about how I should go about taking care of it. Last night there was some heavy rainfall, and during entry/exits from the car the ebony leather seats became wet. I tried to wipe it off, but I can only do so much after I get out of the car and close the doors! I heard somewhere that water = bad to leather.

Can anyone experienced with taking care of leather seats kindly give me an advice on what I should do after the seats get wet? Of course the whole goal is to keep the leather looking as new as possible for the longest period of time.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: How to handle leather seats that got wet during rain?

Originally posted by jekenus
The 04TL that I bought in December is the first car that I've owned that has leather seats, so I'm practically clueless about how I should go about taking care of it. Last night there was some heavy rainfall, and during entry/exits from the car the ebony leather seats became wet. I tried to wipe it off, but I can only do so much after I get out of the car and close the doors! I heard somewhere that water = bad to leather.

Can anyone experienced with taking care of leather seats kindly give me an advice on what I should do after the seats get wet? Of course the whole goal is to keep the leather looking as new as possible for the longest period of time.
Just let the leather dry properly. Then apply Lexol cleaner and follow-up with Lexol conditioner. It'll be good as new. You'll want to continue treating and conditioning your leather for the life of your car. Trust me, doing this will preserve your car's leather for years and years and years.

Pinnacle is also a good product to use.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:07 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I use Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner. It works great too.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Pro

Or don't listen to these people who have no life! You don't need to do anything! It will dry up without damaging the leather in any way.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:43 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by dulnev
Or don't listen to these people who have no life! You don't need to do anything! It will dry up without damaging the leather in any way.
That is true. Just wipe them dry and it will be okay since the car is new.

However, you need a regular maintenance for the leather. Use any good conditioner at least once a year. I use Zaino and some use Lexol.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.properautocare.com/leclcoex.html

Jekenus - Just do some research regarding leather conditioning and make your mind up on your own.

I would agree that a little water from rain on your seats won't harm them in any way.

However, I would bet that if you would take two pieces of leather, say a golf glove or baseball glove, and treat one with conditioner regularly and expose it to various conditions such as heat, cold and moisture. Then don't touch the other one with any conditioner and expose it to the same conditions that over time the one conditioned properly will hold up better than the one not conditioned.

So, just research the topic on your own and make your own conclusion.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb Re: How to handle leather seats that got wet during rain?

Originally posted by jekenus

Wipe out water if you can by napkins or clothes.

Routinely condition your leather chairs twice a month.

I thought LA has less than 10 days' rain in a year. It should not be a big deal.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One word: Lexol...does miracles!
Old 02-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Someone summed it up for me a while ago. Cows get wet all the time.

Just condition your leather every once in a while (depends on the weather were you live) and you'll be ok.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:58 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the advice, everyone!