Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:14 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
65 zoom zoom
Old 05-18-2006, 07:25 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
How many people above age 25 have been well above 100? I wouldnt expect there to be many
Old 05-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
i'm just gonna turn 25.. and hit 140+ about 2 months ago.. it was probably not over 145.. so i'd say around 142
Old 05-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Team Athracite Physician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
How many people above age 25 have been well above 100? I wouldnt expect there to be many
That's because most of them have finally found something to live for on Earth (usually a spouse, kids, parents, friends, career, whatever). Immature drivers don't recognize the consequences of their actions can be more profound than anything their simple minds can comprehend.

That being said, I am a young physician (30) and took my new TL up to 154 last week on couple runs at Pomona. I quickly realized that as much as the TL is fun to drag, it's not a go-cart. All my hopes of speeding on Willow Springs (track) have been dashed - which is a good thing since I bought the TL to take me out of my boy racer phase.

I was going to put all kinds of mods into the car but I'm probably better off saving for a house and trying to get the best MPG.

When I was in the Arrowhead RMC ER as a 4rth year medical student (4 years ago) I saw a family of three arrive on 2 Mercy air flights. I did ATLS on the mom who we gave up on after 45 seconds after realizing she was braindead and then I moved to the 7 year old kid. We were able to save the kid who lost her left leg mid-femur. Her father was pronouned DOA. One of jackass who caused it all racing a Civic came in via ambulance with a shattered left radius/ulna and lacerations - the punk lived and made a disabled orphan. CHP caught the other racer a week later.

If you don't have the $ to take it to a track then work for it by getting a job. If you can't make enough money to do that, you're not worthy of racing a car. As much as I hate gov interfering with people's lives, I think driving is a privilege - a privilege that is easy abused in certain areas like here in SoCal. Takes 5 days to buy a gun but a 16 year old (now riding with a 25 year old) could drive a Suburban through a crowd at a mall or school.

OK, off soapbox
Old 05-18-2006, 10:17 PM
FOR SALE - BM

im 28 ... also a young med field professional... i had it up to 125 on the turnpike.. don't do it to often, just when the roads are mostly clear.. im not really weaving in and out of traffic as i feel my car isn't as stable as i would like it to be... cant wait for rims and teins....
Old 05-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I only go these speeds when if anything went wrong, I would cause any physical harm to anyone else, I.E. the roads are very clear
Old 05-19-2006, 04:36 AM
One on the right for me

^-*wouldnt?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicaTL
I've only gone up to 85 and I was scared, yes I'm a female and dont have webos like a man. Plus cops here are infamous in my county. No breaks here where I live.

Did you mean "huevos" ?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
Did you mean "huevos" ?

LOL!!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Those of you who drive 100+ on public roads, even if you THINK you are in control and even though you BELIEVE traffic is light enough, are quite honestly brandishing a deadly weapon that can go off at any second. I don't care HOW good of a driver you think you are. Let's put aside the obvious scenario for a moment... that you will make a driving error and crash. How about this one... you are driving like a pro at 125 mph, but one of your tires hits something and blows. What do you think is gonna happen? At that speed, I guarantee you WILL crash and you probably WILL die and you could very well kill someone else in the process.

Public roads are just too uncontrolled for that kind of driving. There are other cars that do unpredictable things. They sure as hell aren't expecting someone coming up on them at twice their speed when they decide to make a sudden lane change. There are potholes and debris and sometimes mattresses and ladders in the road. It aint the autobahn. That road system is designed and maintained specifically for high speed driving. Not true here.

Have some brains. Take it to a track. That's the ONLY place you should be driving those speeds.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:10 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by redman042
Those of you who drive 100+ on public roads, even if you THINK you are in control and even though you BELIEVE traffic is light enough, are quite honestly brandishing a deadly weapon that can go off at any second. I don't care HOW good of a driver you think you are. Let's put aside the obvious scenario for a moment... that you will make a driving error and crash. How about this one... you are driving like a pro at 125 mph, but one of your tires hits something and blows. What do you think is gonna happen? At that speed, I guarantee you WILL crash and you probably WILL die and you could very well kill someone else in the process.

Public roads are just too uncontrolled for that kind of driving. There are other cars that do unpredictable things. They sure as hell aren't expecting someone coming up on them at twice their speed when they decide to make a sudden lane change. There are potholes and debris and sometimes mattresses and ladders in the road. It aint the autobahn. That road system is designed and maintained specifically for high speed driving. Not true here.

Have some brains. Take it to a track. That's the ONLY place you should be driving those speeds.
.................................................. ...................................
Old 05-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

Originally Posted by ndx2
If you guys read the.upper case letters of his name, it reads:

A FAG
Isn't there a policy against queers on this board?
Old 05-19-2006, 02:38 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by Adamo0926
Looking at the ages that are posting these idiotic speeds on here it's not surprising you have a lot of growing up and maturing to do.
I hear ya!

No offense to anyone here, but throughout the almost 3 years I've been on this 3G TL forum, I (and others) have seen a gradual decline in the maturity and IQ levels of the average poster on these boards. There are many who used to be regulars here whom are hardly heard from any more.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Most of the younger people on this forum are going to totally ignore what we say and do what they want to do. I did at their age. In my 20's I took my Mustang 5.0 onto a long straight highway in Central California and buried the throttle until the tach didn't move anymore. I was probably doing 125 at least (my speedometer didn't go that high). My thought was, "I paid good money for this really fast car, so I'm going to take it to the limit".

My hope is the comments we make here will cause at least one person to stop and think. When I had my Mustang I never thought about one of my tires blowing out. Heck, those tires weren't even designed for speeds over 100. But I assumed I was in total control... that if I handled the car properly then there was no risk. I never stopped to think... well what if something happens that I have NO control over. I could end up killing myself, or even worse, surviving but killing someone else (say a mother and her children) and spending the rest of my life in jail thinking about it.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Pro

well, this is kinda counter-productive to the vibe thats in this thread, but If you guys remember, I got the hondata programming and my speed governor is gone. I dont know if they took it off, but I couldnt find it, all the way up to 157? The car is goverened for a reason. To much wind was going under the car, and I could feel it getting squirley. The ass end was tryin' to jump to the opposite side of the direction of the turn when I would smoothly try to follow the road. Scared the shit out of me. VERY DANGEROUS at these speeds . Learned my lesson, luckilly the easy way. It could do more-, but then your really counting on god to keep all four tires on the ground. Oh, but it could do more, I was still in 5th gear @ about 7300 rpms. still had all of sixth!
Old 05-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

I don't understand the fascination of top speed at all.

It means nothing. I've gone as high as 85 mph on the I-15 and CA-91 (which is a rare opportunity in So Cal) and still had 4-banger Corollas and Civics (even Toyota Echo's!)passing me at 90+. Yes, it took them much longer to get to that speed, but they can reach it and cruise at it. So why bother? I bought my TL for the look, the driving enjoyment, and the acceleration for getting on the highway and passing, not because of it's top speed.
While their engines are screaming at 3500+ RPM's with engine and road noise drowning out their favorite tunes, I'm cruising along on a cushion of air with barely a sound to interrupt my favorite driving music enjoying my ride.

I suspect many of the older drivers feel the same way.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
160MPH here ladies I took it out in Long Island, NY on one of the highways leading to jones beach..... redlining 5th was fun I hate 6th though.... takes forever to get to top out
Old 05-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Stay off my lawn!!

I just bought a 2000 TL (stock, non-NAV) a couple of weeks ago and hit 120 this weekend going down I-5 South. You see some crazy drivers going down there, they all know Oregon can't afford enough highway patrol! Grand theft is just a ticket here too, and they let you go. Anyway the car felt pretty good at 120, made me wish I had one of those 6MTs though.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:23 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraTLux
I just bought a 2000 TL (stock, non-NAV) a couple of weeks ago and hit 120 this weekend going down I-5 South. You see some crazy drivers going down there, they all know Oregon can't afford enough highway patrol! Grand theft is just a ticket here too, and they let you go. Anyway the car felt pretty good at 120, made me wish I had one of those 6MTs though.
Doesnt Oregon have the most expensive traffic penalties?? or is it WA?
Old 05-22-2006, 04:26 PM
5th Gear

I went as fast as about 125 it was pretty cool and it was handling the lil curves pretty good too this was on the 101 going north in los angeles California then i was like shit i cant get another ticket but i wanna take this car out to the desert one of these days cuz i know she can do way more than that.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:29 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by RSA_Secure
Doesnt Oregon have the most expensive traffic penalties?? or is it WA?
California isnt cheap either.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Banned

176 mph

it was suite
Old 05-22-2006, 04:39 PM
5th Gear

Hell no its not cheap i have a bunch a tickets to pay and i have a point on my record and i cant afford more.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:07 AM
Intermediate

my math teacher got busted for doing 160 mph on his Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle, and the judge let him off really good with a $500 fine, 16 hours of traffic school, and 2 points on his license. the reason the judge was nice is because of the story he told that he was late for finals and if he didn't make it to class within 10 mins of class starting time, he'd get locked out and automatically get an F on his course. he so could have gotten his license revoked and thrown in jail!
Old 06-02-2006, 07:54 AM
Racer

I wish the mods would close thread. This is really the dumbest thing I have ever heard....bragging about how fast you have gone on PUBLIC HIGHWAYS. If you have brought your TL out to a track and cranked it up I tip my cap to you. If you are one of these idiots bragging about going 120 MPH and more on public interstates I have only one thing to say.....FIND YOUR BRAIN FAST.

That there would be a thread on here that encourages people to put lives in danger and break the law is beyond comprehension. If there are any of you morons actually reaching some of these speeds on public highways you need to seek serious professional help. Not only should you get fined heavily but you you should be arrested and lose your license for at least 6 months to give you time to grow a brain. If you want to risk wrapping yourself around a pole, be my guest, but do it on a private track where you won't be putting innocent lives in danger.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:04 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't think I've been above 120 in my 03 TLS, which is fast enough for that car. My Supra, on the other hand, is a different story
Old 06-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Ryan Christopher

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
160MPH here ladies I took it out in Long Island, NY on one of the highways leading to jones beach..... redlining 5th was fun I hate 6th though.... takes forever to get to top out
160?? The govoner on the car is 152. So unless you where in something other then a TL that does not have the govoner, I once again call .

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
176 mph

it was suite
I must ask whay you where in, because I know it wasn't a TL? Also, its sweet, not suite, as suite is a room, like a hotel suite. Sorry, couldn't help it.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Ryan Christopher

I wish the mods would close thread. This is really the dumbest thing I have ever heard....bragging about how fast you have gone on PUBLIC HIGHWAYS. If you have brought your TL out to a track and cranked it up I tip my cap to you. If you are one of these idiots bragging about going 120 MPH and more on public interstates I have only one thing to say.....FIND YOUR BRAIN FAST.

That there would be a thread on here that encourages people to put lives in danger and break the law is beyond comprehension. If there are any of you morons actually reaching some of these speeds on public highways you need to seek serious professional help. Not only should you get fined heavily but you you should be arrested and lose your license for at least 6 months to give you time to grow a brain. If you want to risk wrapping yourself around a pole, be my guest, but do it on a private track where you won't be putting innocent lives in danger.
Yes it is dangerous to run these types of speeds on a Highway, But most of us don't have a place to go to run the cars ( i.e. Track, Roadcoarse). You can always take it to a dragstrip, but where I live its a 1/8th, and you really don't get any where near a 100. Most people that go in excess of 100 won't do this on busy streets, normally this is done late at night or very early mornings. If on a public road with other cars, this is a really bad idea. With that said, I have gotton the TL to 130, late at night and no other cars on the road. I have also had my previous car to 150, as well no cars on the road.

And until you have tried it, don't knock it. The rush is great, as for safty, if its done with no other cars on the road, its no more dagerous then doing at a track. You can always go into a wall at the track as well, not to mention, you will be pusing the car harder because you are at the track. The spurts on the highways are just that, quick little jumps up, then you let off and drive somewhat normal, what ever that might be.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:29 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

No offense to anyone, and of course there are exceptions, but in the almost 3 years I've been on this 3G TL forum, I and many other forum 'old timers' have seen the Maturity and IQ levels of the average poster take a gradual and continuous decline. Many of the other old time regulars hardly even show up here any more for this very reason. I'm certainly not going away as there are still some people who post very informative info I might not know about otherwise as I occassionally post something I've figured out that its likely no one else has, but overall, this 3G TL forum is not what it used to be.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Racer

Let me add one other thing that is a result of this idiocy....although it's not as important as when you endanger innocent lives. Insurance rates. Some insurers will designate certain cars as "high performance". They get this designation based on actuarial statistics that show that drivers of cetain vehicles are more likely to speed and become involved in high speed crashes.

I have a perfect example regarding the TL. The insurance company I had been with for almost 20 years re-designated my TL as a class H for High Performance. This is not only based on engine power/curb weight ration but driving statistics for drivers of TL's over the past several years. Guess what, my renewal rate shot up by 75% - a nearly 800.00/year increase. Consequently I was forced to seek insurance elsewhere from a company that does not yet use these kinds of designations.

Even if you don't wrap yourself around a pole, damage other property or, God forbid, kill someone innocent....every dumbass speeding ticket you get becomes an Acura TL statistic. Which means that the rest of us have to pay for your highway macho man routines.

Grow up and drive responsibly.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:23 AM
W00t

^ Very well said.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Ryan Christopher

Let me add one other thing that is a result of this idiocy....although it's not as important as when you endanger innocent lives. Insurance rates. Some insurers will designate certain cars as "high performance". They get this designation based on actuarial statistics that show that drivers of cetain vehicles are more likely to speed and become involved in high speed crashes.

I have a perfect example regarding the TL. The insurance company I had been with for almost 20 years re-designated my TL as a class H for High Performance. This is not only based on engine power/curb weight ration but driving statistics for drivers of TL's over the past several years. Guess what, my renewal rate shot up by 75% - a nearly 800.00/year increase. Consequently I was forced to seek insurance elsewhere from a company that does not yet use these kinds of designations.

Even if you don't wrap yourself around a pole, damage other property or, God forbid, kill someone innocent....every dumbass speeding ticket you get becomes an Acura TL statistic. Which means that the rest of us have to pay for your highway macho man routines.

Grow up and drive responsibly.
Very well put, I agree. I was in the same boat with the previous car I had. As for the speeding, I don't do that in that excess anymore. 80-85 is top speed and that is on the interstate with a 70MPH speed limit. And I am just keeping up with traffic. Get involved with groups that go to track events, round tracks, course tracks and even drag strips. Alot of places are starting to open this up to individuals during off peak times. Gives youth, and thrill seekers a safe way of driving there car fast.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP

I must ask whay you where in, because I know it wasn't a TL? Also, its sweet, not suite, as suite is a room, like a hotel suite. Sorry, couldn't help it.

I was joking as this thread turned into a big penis contest. Also, I know its sweet, but suite is a running joke on this board in the Off Topic sections. I realize its hard for members here to actually realize other forums exist on this site, but they do. And you probably should correct your own grammatical errors before you start correcting mine.

Sorry if that came off a bit harsh.

(<insertredtext>)
Old 06-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
here's a shot from my camera phone on 1-75 from FL to GA

Here is a post as an example of some of the idiocy this thread has created. This nutcase decided to use his camera phone to snap a picture of his dash while doing 110 MPH so he would have his macho "proof" for this thread. And he even admits that he did it on an Interstate. I'm guessing that his IQ is not much higher than tires he is riding on.

To the mods....get rid of this thread once and for all. It's about something illegal. Would you keep a thread open where people were bragging about drinking a half bottle of whiskey and then getting behind the wheel ?

This thread is encouraging people to "out macho" the other airheads that are doing this....even going as far as providing "proof". If I were the parent of a son or daughter that were to get seriously hurt or worse by some of these boneheads, they would have a lot more to worry about than just a stiff prison sentence.

Take your TL's to a track and try to break each other's "records". Stay off the highways that I, and all other common sense drivers, have to use.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Ryan Christopher

Originally Posted by Ol Blue Eyes

I was joking as this thread turned into a big penis contest. Also, I know its sweet, but suite is a running joke on this board in the Off Topic sections. I realize its hard for members here to actually realize other forums exist on this site, but they do. And you probably should correct your own grammatical errors before you start correcting mine.

Sorry if that came off a bit harsh.

(<insertredtext>)
I was only playing, and I do look at the other forums!! So sorry for the not getting the carried over joke, but that was one I had to say something on. As for grammar on this board, there is not one single person that has perfect grammar on here. I personally sucked in English, that is why I went into computer science, and love me some spell check!!!

The problem with that is, the younger members see that and think that is how it is spelled. That is part of the problem with the Internet; the 1337 Speak has caused a problem in everyday English. The miss spelling of words has become common place, therefore the see not problem with doing it. Look at Ebonics! So I wasn't trying to be mean, so sorry if I came off the wrong way.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Ryan Christopher

Here is a post as an example of some of the idiocy this thread has created. This nutcase decided to use his camera phone to snap a picture of his dash while doing 110 MPH so he would have his macho "proof" for this thread. And he even admits that he did it on an Interstate. I'm guessing that his IQ is not much higher than tires he is riding on.

To the mods....get rid of this thread once and for all. It's about something illegal. Would you keep a thread open where people were bragging about drinking a half bottle of whiskey and then getting behind the wheel ?

This thread is encouraging people to "out macho" the other airheads that are doing this....even going as far as providing "proof". If I were the parent of a son or daughter that were to get seriously hurt or worse by some of these boneheads, they would have a lot more to worry about than just a stiff prison sentence.

Take your TL's to a track and try to break each other's "records". Stay off the highways that I, and all other common sense drivers, have to use.
I saw one that was going faster then that, to think that while going that fast, he took out his phone (one hand on steering wheel at a 110), looked at the phone, and took the picture.

If you have gone that fast, you really don’t want a record of it. That’s like cheating on your girlfriend or wife and taking pictures or video of it. Then when she see's, you wonder why she mad, and no, I never did that . Just a point. Wait, what about the cases recently where they recorded themselves beating up someone. Evidence in court!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:11 AM
One on the right for me

Adam0-I agree with what you are saying...I'd actually encourage those who drive well above 100 to do so, so the gene pool doesnt take a hit 10 years later. Only thing that stops me from that is the fact that it is on a public road and other, innocent people might be involved if they crash.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Racer

Subin....I'd love to open my TL up at some point, at least once. But if I do I will see if there is a track that I can use and I would never go faster than what I felt comfortable doing. It would have to be a track that has a long straightaway for me to let loose because I don't think it's worth risking my life for.

Plus, before even attempting that I would make sure my car had been checked out completely, especially the wheels and tires.

That's another thing.....if any of these Einsteins doing these kinds of speeds on an Interstate and they have a blowout....the results would be catastrophic for them as well as anyone else near them.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

I was only playing, and I do look at the other forums!! So sorry for the not getting the carried over joke, but that was one I had to say something on. As for grammar on this board, there is not one single person that has perfect grammar on here. I personally sucked in English, that is why I went into computer science, and love me some spell check!!!

The problem with that is, the younger members see that and think that is how it is spelled. That is part of the problem with the Internet; the 1337 Speak has caused a problem in everyday English. The miss spelling of words has become common place, therefore the see not problem with doing it. Look at Ebonics! So I wasn't trying to be mean, so sorry if I came off the wrong way.
I beg your pardon? My grammar is perfect!

Well, she was. But she dyed last yere.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

160?? The govoner on the car is 152. So unless you where in something other then a TL that does not have the govoner, I once again call .

I must ask whay you where in, because I know it wasn't a TL? (clip)
There is no governor on the TL. Well, at least not a speed limiting governor. There is a rev limiter, but that doesn't cut in until 150 MPH in 4th gear on the 5 AT.

It wouldn't cut in for 5th until nearly 200 MPH theoretically. (in a vacuum)

The TL is drag limited to between 150-155 depending on air temperature, density, pressure, grade, surface and other outside forces. We have a superb Cd of .29 (same as a C5 Corvette), but it still takes a lot of power to add a few MPHs at those speeds.

Speed limiters are placed on cars like Mercedes-Benz (155) so that you don't outdrive your tires. The TLs tires are rated for 165 MPH so a speed limiter is not needed. The only way it would go that fast is over a cliff.

Quick Reply: How fast have you had your TL ?