3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how can i tell if my odo was rolled back?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how can i tell if my odo was rolled back?

im not sure, but when i bought my tl it had 52, 000 miles on it but when i took it in to have the brakes done, it was suggested to me that the car may have twice that many miles, is there a way to check this i mean besides car fax and my acura dealer records could someone have swapped my odometer for one with less miles, am i able to check it through th ecu at all to see if they match? someone help!!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

Was it a salvaged title?

Carfax is probably one of the better places but a good Mechanic can also tell you about the vehicle.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Depending on where the car lived- and if it has Brembo front brakes- and if the last owner was an adult who did stop and go driving or a kid who did speed and stop driving...
The TL can wear our pads in front in 25k no problem while others will get 50k miles
If the rears are wearing out badly- there is a problem in the brake system.
How does the fluid look- brown black- or clear yellow

I would get a 2nd opinion on the brakes and tell us what they say, appearances are deceptive. I have seen an 05 that lived in New Jersey 2 years, and the brakes and metal lines looked 10 years old and were corroded on solid
Old 01-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
first off who was it that did the inspection and told you this? if it was a 3rd party mechanic i wouldnt listen. Id go to acura and have a talk with the service manager n tech.... tell em i want to know whats up with this car and if the milage is correct. do a full top to bottom inspection. the way to tell is they would read the blackbox n tell you.... now i know from seeing cars with rollbacks every freakin light on the dash would be lit up with no way to shut them off til the cluster gets programmed with the correct milage. theres really no other way to tell because the car gets super dirty very fast and easy. and the suspension parts become worn quickly as well. and it also depends on how the last person driving the car drove it.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:40 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
first off who was it that did the inspection and told you this? if it was a 3rd party mechanic i wouldnt listen. Id go to acura and have a talk with the service manager n tech.... tell em i want to know whats up with this car and if the milage is correct. do a full top to bottom inspection. the way to tell is they would read the blackbox n tell you.... now i know from seeing cars with rollbacks every freakin light on the dash would be lit up with no way to shut them off til the cluster gets programmed with the correct milage. theres really no other way to tell because the car gets super dirty very fast and easy. and the suspension parts become worn quickly as well. and it also depends on how the last person driving the car drove it.
There are ways around everything. Cluster replacements are expensive and but I have heard of others successfully "getting away" with that on other vehicles. The dealer SHOULD be able to hook up to the computer and provide the actual mileage. In fact, they SHOULD have done this during a pre-buy inspection (if you had one done).
Old 01-14-2008, 06:04 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
from what i know/heard its not easy to do on these cars...

plus rumors speculated that the mileage is recorded elsewhere on the car as well (ECU, ODBII or somthing like that)
Old 01-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I look at the tires
still OE and worn-? good replacements and worn out.....crap tires....