3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How big is the difference between 2008 TL and 2008 TL-S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, the thing you need to understand is for a lot of us the TL is a second, third, or fourth car so its not a "what you can afford" issue.

Personally, I think the two tone seats are very Mickey Mouse & the oversized round exhaust tips remind me of the baloney sliced dual kits a lot of people here have on their pickups. IMHO the base TL has a much cleaner look to it, your mileage may vary.

LOL, hold up now big spender...this has never been a money issue, but thanks for posting your whole garage...just to let us know you got enough money. And the remark on the seats...seeing your vast experience in the car game, being 66 years old, I can understand how the raw sport of the TYPE S doesnt really appeal to you
Old 02-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
I agree with what I hate cars said about the price & I have yet to lose a trafic light sprint to a TypeS. But the bottom line tp me is the car is very good for what i bought it for & the TypeS had no nice to have or must have features to make me consider it.

Also, the thing you need to understand is for a lot of us the TL is a second, third, or fourth car so its not a "what you can afford" issue.

Personally, I think the two tone seats are very Mickey Mouse & the oversized round exhaust tips remind me of the baloney sliced dual kits a lot of people here have on their pickups. IMHO the base TL has a much cleaner look to it, your mileage may vary.

When I bought the '08 Expedition, with an invoice price about $11,000 over a Type S, I went up a model line to the Limited series because the Eddie Bauer version had two tone seats.

As for performance a TypeS/5AT is no big challenge to my TL/6MT in a sprint. That being said I expect a TypeS/6MT would be a more interesting competition but they are pretty much non-existent around here even though we have TL & TL-S's up the wazoo.
LOL hold up big spender. Never was a money issue conversation, but thanks for posting your whole garage just to show us that you can afford the extra cash. As for the interior design comment, being an older, respectable man at 66 I can see how the sport concept of the styling passed you by on this one.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by jeowen
but thanks for posting your whole garage just to show us that you can afford the extra cash. As for the interior design comment, being an older, respectable man at 66 I can see how the sport concept of the styling passed you by on this one.
Not particularly you in this case, but there is just to much implied "you don't have the "S" model its because you can't afford it" in these comparo threads.

Some people can't seem to understand that many people just prefer the understated look of the base TL. The 6spd puts all the sport I need in the TL.

BTW: Not the whole garage, the '34 Ford 3 window coupe & the bike aren't posted. As for the interior the last two tone seats I had were in a 1957 Ford convertible back in '59. Never liked them & had the interior redone, but that just me.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
I hate threads like this, they always elope into inflated opinions.

My reasons for choosing the Type-S....

I simply wanted a fully loaded TL,

I like:

-the exterior aggressive aesthetics

-the red lit interior

-the 2 tone interior

-the Type-S steering wheel

-the nice 3.5 engine with an aggressive RL tranny

-paddle shifters (used them twice, lol)

-EDIT (forgot the Brembo braking system, excellent braking power)

I dislike two things:

-stock rims

-car eats tooo much gas.

Another reason why I went with the Type-S, I do not want to mod, at least not performance wise or styling…..just maybe a drop and new rims.
X2

The TL is a fine car in base form but I wanted the performance boost as well as the "boy racer" styling bits....personally, it's that stuff that makes the TL-S stand out. I also like all of the stuff (i.e NAVI option) that is standard on the TL-S as well as the racier interior, etc...that put this car #1 over BMW, Audi, etc when I was shopping around. The G35 has never done it for me personally, I have a few buddies who have them and love them but the styling never appealed to me. I went to test drive one just to make sure that I wasn't missing out on anything and I couldn't even fit with the sunroof option...no headroom!
Those that rag on the TL-S dual quad exhaust, wheels ( which have totally grown on me BTW...love them now) and S badging etc....well, styling is subjective. Ya either like it or ya don't....personally I do!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Acuras Only in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by S PAW 1
Here we go again with the swingin' dicks .
TL vs. TL-S, 5 AT vs. 6MT
One driver thinking he's just the best, and everyone else is a wanna be

We buy cars for either what fits our wallets, or our personalities. Either reason, and there are probably other reasons, is valid.

Both the TL and the TL-S are fabulous machines. The TL fits the mainstream that buys reliability, class, and technology. The TL-S fits those that are more perfomance oriented.

The OP asked "how big is the difference?"
The difference is what you want or need in a car. For some, the difference is huge, for others, it is not. It's not a competition, it's a family

'07 TL-S 5AT CBP/Taupe
Michelin Pilot A/S's
K&N CAI
P2R throttle body/spacers
Braille 15lb A/S battery
Progress 24mm RSB
Graduate Acura Advanced High Performance Driving School (MidOhio)
Couldn't have said any better myself ... It's up to each indiv. driver to decide whether the difference is worth the extra price ..... be it cosmetic or performance ... at least it's within the family ...
Old 02-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Not particularly you in this case, but there is just to much implied "you don't have the "S" model its because you can't afford it" in these comparo threads.

Some people can't seem to understand that many people just prefer the understated look of the base TL. The 6spd puts all the sport I need in the TL.

BTW: Not the whole garage, the '34 Ford 3 window coupe & the bike aren't posted. As for the interior the last two tone seats I had were in a 1957 Ford convertible back in '59. Never liked them & had the interior redone, but that just me.
Well said sir-'34 Ford- '57 Convertable, very nice
Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Intermediate

Wow, I didn't know so many people are interested in this topic

Thanks for your feedback! Although I didn't specify it, I was reffering to TL-S Auto.

I guess trade in is a very costly option? I have about 6,000 miles on it ... What would be the difference between my trade in and new TL-S?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Intermediate

well, it is obvious..that those who did not purchase the TYPE S still are trying to convince themselves that they dont want/need it. Speaking from exp, I bought an 07 NBP first, without ever even driving the S...I was so happy with the base, and for 7 months reassured myself that the S wasnt that much better... then I came to my senses, called the dealership and walked away with an 08 NBP TYPE-S. The difference really crazy, especially the aggressive sound at high RPM's and the way the S drives it so much more...athletic. I went home this weekend, first time I could take the boys out in the car...they flipped out. So fast for a sedan, such a deep growl and huggin 25 mph corners at 70.. (paddle shifters are a blast), i felt like i could have started charging for lap times. The differences are truly seen when u push the thing a little bit, or alot for that matter.. Look, its a personal preference, I could just echo all the tech specs that separate the two, but that has already been done so many times...just enjoy what u got, or go get an TYPE-S
Your explaination reinforced my initial perception that the TL-S is, like someone already said, more "boy racerish" than the other and that's about it. The difference is certainly not as radical as it is between a 3 series Beemer and an M3. Personally, I could give two sh*ts about aggressive sound and athletic driving. That's why the Acura TL comes in 2 versions. Both are great and I don't think one is better than the other. Enjoy what you have, I sure enjoy mine. No need to be convinced of anything retrospectiveley.

By the way, I have 2 bikes when I need an adrenalin surge. My car is strictly for comfortable commute and travel and it does a very good job at it.

Take care,
Old 02-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
told you so, these threads always lead to bs.

Mine is better, no it's not. I have a better taste than you, no you don't....etc..

Kindergarten. Convince yourself of your purchase, not others.

The OP asked for the major differences, and he received it.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 AM
TL-S BeASt

Originally Posted by anx1300c
I don't see where I hate cars implied the S was any less reliable than the base model, I think he simply feels the S is a little more "boy racerish". I kind of agree, what with the wheels and two-tone seating surfaces. It'd be nice if Acura was a little more versatile with their options and would allow the engine and suspension upgrade without the other stuff.

I have to disagree....I see nothing "boy racerish" about the TL-s what-so-ever, maybe "man racerish"......the wheels, different tails, and QUAD exhaust, but it doesnt have a hint of ricer to it. . . if thats the case then most Acuziners are "boy racerish" for modding their cars - base model or TL-s!!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Your explaination reinforced my initial perception that the TL-S is, like someone already said, more "boy racerish" than the other and that's about it. The difference is certainly not as radical as it is between a 3 series Beemer and an M3. Personally, I could give two sh*ts about aggressive sound and athletic driving. That's why the Acura TL comes in 2 versions. Both are great and I don't think one is better than the other. Enjoy what you have, I sure enjoy mine. No need to be convinced of anything retrospectiveley.

By the way, I have 2 bikes when I need an adrenalin surge. My car is strictly for comfortable commute and travel and it does a very good job at it.

Take care,
well said, and i respect your view. Now mine on the "boy racerish", a 40K Acura TL TYPE S is not to be considered in the likes of a Honda Civic, some little miata, chevy cavalier ( oh but wait..the Z24 right!! lol) ...and the list of boy racers goes on, we're talking about ACURA here- it deserves a little more respect dont ya think
Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
well said, and i respect your view. Now mine on the "boy racerish", a 40K Acura TL TYPE S is not to be considered in the likes of a Honda Civic, some little miata, chevy cavalier ( oh but wait..the Z24 right!! lol) ...and the list of boy racers goes on, we're talking about ACURA here- it deserves a little more respect dont ya think
The TL-S is far above a Civic and still very classy but the "boy racer" styling is what turns me off to it. Some people like it more for that very reason and call it "sporty" instead.

I test drove an auto and had to really try to tell the difference between my base model and the S. IMO, not enough difference to justify the price difference. In the end though, nothing short of a 400shot of nitrous would make the TL give me an adrenaline rush, much less a 30hp difference. Think about it, the difference is small enough that a manual base model will probably beat an auto type S. For my needs it has to get me from point A to point B comfortably which it does.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 AM
TL-S BeASt

stop saying "boy racerish".....lol......use "man racerish" please!!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 AM
aw1
Pro

Originally Posted by uasound
Wow, I didn't know so many people are interested in this topic

Thanks for your feedback! Although I didn't specify it, I was reffering to TL-S Auto.

I guess trade in is a very costly option? I have about 6,000 miles on it ... What would be the difference between my trade in and new TL-S?

Thanks!

I have a 05 TL and wouldv'e bought the TLS if it was available at that time. As of today, I do not find it financial wise to trade in my 05TL for a 08TLS. If you trade your car in with 6k miles, more than not you will lose about 2-3k. If you can afford it, go for it or wait for the 09. I do not need to tell you the difference between the two, just read the above posts.