Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible Tint Experience, need a tinter for 3rd gen TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Horrible Tint Experience, need a tinter for 3rd gen TL

I just had a bad experience with a tint shop in Orlando, it's on Semoran very close to the 408, I had many cars done at this location, and now I dont know if they have new tinters or what, I have an 06 TL, had the windows tinted this past Saturday, there was alot of dirt in every window and the tint bubbled within 3 days, the tint shop told me the tint would shrink and the bubbles would disappear, the total opposite happened. There was also a big gap in the rear quarter windows. I was told no one can fully tint the quarter windows- thats the best job I was going to get, and tint will always have dirt, there is no way to prevent that. He would not redo my tint, nor did I want him to, so he gave me a refund and could not admit to the horrible job, he stated his shop did great work. Can someone who has the 3rd gen TL, who have had their tint done with Moleskin, full quarter windows and are very pleased; please refer me to your tinter. Thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 10:12 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
wrong forum, glad you received ur money back, now you should look into how to remove the tint before you look for a place to redo the tint

ps. WRONG FORUM
Old 02-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

So what forum am I supposed to put this in?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Main 3G forum.

The 1/4 window thing is Total . Lots of places get the tint back up under the weather stripping.

Dust happens. But its usually just a very little bit and not harmful to the tint.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
I moved the thread. I know that place you are talking about and it's a hit or a miss. Don't go to courtesy acura, they charged 180 for my TL 35% all around and it scratches like no tomorrow, etc. Bad job and they refuse to fix it. There's a really good place near me, it looks shady, but they work on every BMW that is sold by the field BMW in daytona and the guy is pretty cool. I got a car done there, 150 for 7 big windows, Llumar 35% tint with warranty against anything and everything. If you want I'll get his info and send it your way, he's in daytona beach.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Intermediate

Yea, when you have a chance send me the info, thanks for the help.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Intermediate

Yea, I know dust happens, but man, if you seen the tint its like they laid the tint on a table of dust. Crazy, dont you think in this economy people would do the best they can, to keep customers referring and happy.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
^^

Yeah, I said "very little" and doesn't harm the tint.

What you got sounds like incompetence.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
How much did you pay .. just curious?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
How much did you pay .. just curious?
I had 2 of my buddies come with me, originally I would have paid $150, but since 2 of my buddies had tint done as well it was dropped to $135. There tint turned out better then mines, but it still wasnt the best job, they are going to try to get it fixed this week.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

I can tell you already that, that tint is not going to last you. Never shop tint based on price. A very good tint to get and should be the minimum is 3M color stable. Should run you about $250 to $300 for the job and that is because the tint costs money. However you will have no issues with the tint fading, peeling, discoloring in a few years, especially with theh FL sun. So whn you call around asking for prices, dont just let them tell you they give a lifetime warranty and the price. NO GOOD. Ask them for 3M or even LLUMAR is excellent and get prices based on that. Most tinters who use that tint will do a better job then your tinter just because they are using good stuff meaning they have a higher bar of excellence.

The $150 shops are pure crap. I have way too much experience with tints.. learned alot from my mistakes, so dont make the same.

Also remember, 3M COLOR STABLE... 3M has different lines of tints ranging from shit to excellent. The color stable one is excellent. The lower lines are to compete with your $150 shops. So dont just let them say we use 3M.. again not good enough. Good Luck.. PM me if you need any more tips on percentages and all .. like I said.. I've spent so much money on tints .. lol. Good Luck..

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 02-05-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 503 Likes on 281 Posts
There's a shop in Clearwater (west of tampa) where I got my CL-S done, my wife's accord, mom's audi, her dad's bmw, etc.. her dad's bmw has had it's tint since 2001 and it still looks great.

I'd recommend them any time, they don't use 3m tho, they use LLamar? or something like that I forgot the name, I have the bill at home. I think it was around 200bux but they got around the window's edges perfectly. Even the rear windows are really tight. I'm not sure if it's worth the drive and all but if you're interested I can get you the number
Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 PM
'05 6MT w/Nav A-Spec

Ask them for 3M or even LLUMAR is excellent and get prices based on that. Most tinters who use that tint will do a better job then your tinter just because they are using good stuff meaning they have a higher bar of excellence.
I couldn't agree more, although I'm a fan of Johnson film.

Originally Posted by officialTL
Can someone who has the 3rd gen TL, who have had their tint done with Moleskin, full quarter windows and are very pleased; please refer me to your tinter. Thanks
I've had work done at Ultimate Audio in Oviedo and was very pleased. The guy there did great work and I probably paid a premium for it. Well worth it though. Ask if the guy has been there for a few years if you call them up. What's the name of the place you went to so I can stay away?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

I'll be going to the shop tomorrow to get his card so I can get you his info since I can't find it.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AngeloUCF

I've had work done at Ultimate Audio in Oviedo and was very pleased. The guy there did great work and I probably paid a premium for it. Well worth it though. Ask if the guy has been there for a few years if you call them up. What's the name of the place you went to so I can stay away?
I went to flying window tint on 436 close to 408. Customer service was horrible. Thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Intermediate

I can tell you already that, that tint is not going to last you. Never shop tint based on price. A very good tint to get and should be the minimum is 3M color stable. Should run you about $250 to $300 for the job and that is because the tint costs money. However you will have no issues with the tint fading, peeling, discoloring in a few years, especially with theh FL sun. So whn you call around asking for prices, dont just let them tell you they give a lifetime warranty and the price. NO GOOD. Ask them for 3M or even LLUMAR is excellent and get prices based on that. Most tinters who use that tint will do a better job then your tinter just because they are using good stuff meaning they have a higher bar of excellence.

The $150 shops are pure crap. I have way too much experience with tints.. learned alot from my mistakes, so dont make the same.

Also remember, 3M COLOR STABLE... 3M has different lines of tints ranging from shit to excellent. The color stable one is excellent. The lower lines are to compete with your $150 shops. So dont just let them say we use 3M.. again not good enough. Good Luck.. PM me if you need any more tips on percentages and all .. like I said.. I've spent so much money on tints .. lol. Good Luck..
I know exactly what you mean, the tint was LLumar, charcoal metallic, 15%. The tint is good quality, i've always used llumar and never had any issues, what do you know about formula 1, I was told that is one of the best. thanks for the info.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator

I know exactly what you mean, the tint was LLumar, charcoal metallic, 15%. The tint is good quality, i've always used llumar and never had any issues, what do you know about formula 1, I was told that is one of the best. thanks for the info.
I have also heard good things about forumula one. From a bunch of people and also a few tinters, I have heard that huper optik tint (very expensive and hard to find installers) is amazing.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
I'll be going to the shop tomorrow to get his card so I can get you his info since I can't find it.
Thank you very much, did you put any moleskin on your doors?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AngeloUCF

Were they able to fully tint the rear quarter windows?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have also heard good things about forumula one. From a bunch of people and also a few tinters, I have heard that huper optik tint (very expensive and hard to find installers) is amazing.

Formual 1 is some pretty good stuff. It's made by CPFilms the same people who make Llumar.In Formula 1 they use ceramic materials instead of metallic materials to reject heat. thats why they are a bit more expensive.(pinnacle series). the shop my buddy works at will be the first to get it in western canada. so i'll probably ask/beg him to hook it up. =)

Last edited by hata_61; 02-06-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:48 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Huper Optik is suppose to be the god send of all tints.. like 600 bux for a job to get that done. Can't vouch for it, cuz its too rich for my blood, but all I hear is good things about it. Formula 1 sounds similar.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Huper Optik is suppose to be the god send of all tints.. like 600 bux for a job to get that done. Can't vouch for it, cuz its too rich for my blood, but all I hear is good things about it. Formula 1 sounds similar.
ya but some that spends 600bux on a tint will have an 'ego' problem accepting that he spent so much money on crap and will keep his trap shut. I met a lot of people who gauged things by the cost only, and figured oh well if my expensive tint looks 'ok' but has some minor scratches it would have been worse with a cheap tint so he'll be uber happy.

You should ask them about the rear quarter window. I asked them and said it won't be a problem and they did it perfect. [i'll post pix at some point when the car is clean] so if you ask and they say oohhh dunno about that, just walk away.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

here is their information:

Ultimate Rides
1520 North Nova Rd.
Holly Hill FL 32117
386-898-0080

myspace.com/ultimateridez

tell em the people with the white 760 sent you.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Advanced

Another place to try in the Daytona area, Solar-X
630 S.Yonge (US.1) Ormond Beach
386-673-2111 Brian Smith
Had my 06 TL and now 07 TL Typs-S, done with him and no mole skin and the windows are perfect. Also had my 07 Porsche Cayman done, does a great job at a good price, highly recommened.
Tom
Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Advanced

Ultimate Rides
1520 North Nova Rd.
Holly Hill FL 32117
386-898-0080

386-673-2111 Brian Smith
Had my 06 TL and now 07 TL Typs-S, done with him and no mole skin and the windows are perfect. Also had my 07 Porsche Cayman done, does a great job at a good price, highly recommened.
Tom
Old 02-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by PhilB81
ya but some that spends 600bux on a tint will have an 'ego' problem accepting that he spent so much money on crap and will keep his trap shut. I met a lot of people who gauged things by the cost only, and figured oh well if my expensive tint looks 'ok' but has some minor scratches it would have been worse with a cheap tint so he'll be uber happy.

You should ask them about the rear quarter window. I asked them and said it won't be a problem and they did it perfect. [i'll post pix at some point when the car is clean] so if you ask and they say oohhh dunno about that, just walk away.
Couldn't agree more. Its self reassurance at its best.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Spend whatever you want, but I got mine done for $150 in Ocala Florida over a year ago and it looks awesome. Rear quarter windows are perfect and he tinted behind the third brake light...
Old 02-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

^^ How long u plan on keeping your car? Its only been a year.. give us an update in 2 more. If people just want the tint to last 3 years.. then it doesnt matter.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:35 AM
The Kinetics of Bleu

^^ How long u plan on keeping your car? Its only been a year.. give us an update in 2 more. If people just want the tint to last 3 years.. then it doesnt matter.
It is Llumar tint as well, I helped him take it out of the box.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

^^ So that's good then.. what's the problem? LLumar has different lines just like 3M does. All companies do this even paint manufacturers do this to compete with the lower level shops. Sounds like you knew this guy and he hooked you up. I have LLUMAR as well, the Platinum Plus line, (paid about 220 which was a steal in NY) though I wish I got 3M cuz I like the color shading of theirs better, but whatever. Everything is considerably cheaper in FL, hence I plan on getting some work done now that I'm in MIAMI.

For starters color matching the window visors.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:33 AM
The Kinetics of Bleu

^^ So that's good then.. what's the problem? LLumar has different lines just like 3M does. All companies do this even paint manufacturers do this to compete with the lower level shops. Sounds like you knew this guy and he hooked you up. I have LLUMAR as well, the Platinum Plus line, (paid about 220 which was a steal in NY) though I wish I got 3M cuz I like the color shading of theirs better, but whatever. Everything is considerably cheaper in FL, hence I plan on getting some work done now that I'm in MIAMI.

For starters color matching the window visors.
I think you hit it right there!! I think it is just the value of the dollar in different areas of the country. Things are cheaper down here. I am originally from Philly and it's more expensive up there. I did know the guy so he hooked me up a little...
Old 02-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
I think you hit it right there!! I think it is just the value of the dollar in different areas of the country. Things are cheaper down here. I am originally from Philly and it's more expensive up there. I did know the guy so he hooked me up a little...
[thread highjack] not house insurance [end thread highjack]

For me, my window Tint cost was $214 for all windows + windshield strip [i requested a ticker one]

it's LLumar, Platinum Plus for everyone's reference they are at
10765 Ulmerton Road
Largo, FL 33778
(727) 587-0222

I'm really happy with the tint on my car, I'd recommend them anytime. They covered the 3rd break light and everything.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:32 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
officialTL I wish you had searched the forum about the topic, we have talked tints A LOT and what to look for in a tinter. Goes to show that 2 factors ALWAYS mean everything in your tint job 1) Your knowledgable and talented tinter and 2) the quality of the tint itself.

My car came out perfect. 30% Metallic 3M.....I just have a slight problem with radio reception...I should have done the CS film that Elegant is talking about but it doesn't come in 30%, only 20% and 35%. The 30% is the PERFECT shade for me and the reason I went with the HP Metallic. Keeps me closer to the lenient 35% law in CT. Oh well, it's all made by 3M. Quality stuff.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:13 PM
'05 6MT w/Nav A-Spec

Were they able to fully tint the rear quarter windows?
They did on the Infiniti G20 I got done, the tint on my TL was there when I bought it.

Another thing I always look for is how close to the edge of the window they go. I like it to be no more than 1/16" from the glass bevel.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry man about your bad tint experience. Having gone through that several years ago I know how you feel. You should post up some pics of the clowns work. The shop I use is located in Longwood, FL. Don't laugh, but the name of the shop is..."Flying Window Tinters". LOL They are in no way associated with the half ass shop on 436. One is, "Tint" the other is "Tinters". The owner explained it to me once but, I can't remember what the deal is on why their names are so close.

If you want, I can take a couple of pics for you to see the job they did on my TL. Rick and Barry are both good guys. Not sure if they still work there since it's been about 4 yrs since I've used them. BTW I'm very particular and OCD. Last time I was at the dealer for service the tech came out to tell me he's worked on several NSX's and never blinks. But he was scared to touch my TL because it was so clean.

Anyway, the only part I'm concerned about is the removal of your existing tint. The clown that did yours didn't want to remove your tint because it's a pain. Actually, It's a huge pain in the ass, especially the rear window because of the defroster. It can easily be damaged and it's very tedious work. Good idea you didn't have the clown do it. But, I'm afraid your defroster may get damaged even if the person removing it is very careful. You may want to leave the rear if it isn't that bad. You could save some cash and remove the sides yourself and ask a pro about removing the rear.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Intermediate

Ultimate Rides
1520 North Nova Rd.
Holly Hill FL 32117
386-898-0080

tell em the people with the white 760 sent you.
Thanks man!!! I gotta find some time to get around there.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:11 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ATL06
386-673-2111 Brian Smith
Tom
Nice whips, thanks for the info, now I have some shopping to do.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
Spend whatever you want, but I got mine done for $150 in Ocala Florida over a year ago and it looks awesome. Rear quarter windows are perfect and he tinted behind the third brake light...
Yea, I told the guy to tint behind the third brake light, he got it done, but when I was driving at night I saw something I never saw before, bright red light. I went to the back and push the cover up towards the window, it was fine, now the problem is, it slowly creeps down as I drive, I so ticked at that, i think the tint guy broke it, any ideas, maybe i just aint putting it back right????
Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
officialTL I wish you had searched the forum about the topic, we have talked tints A LOT and what to look for in a tinter. Goes to show that 2 factors ALWAYS mean everything in your tint job 1) Your knowledgable and talented tinter and 2) the quality of the tint itself.

My car came out perfect. 30% Metallic 3M.....I just have a slight problem with radio reception...I should have done the CS film that Elegant is talking about but it doesn't come in 30%, only 20% and 35%. The 30% is the PERFECT shade for me and the reason I went with the HP Metallic. Keeps me closer to the lenient 35% law in CT. Oh well, it's all made by 3M. Quality stuff.
I know, I was kickin myself in the azz, i figured it was tint and it wouldnt be that big a deal, little did I know. From now on I will search before I make a move.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ducati748R
Sorry man about your bad tint experience. Having gone through that several years ago I know how you feel. You should post up some pics of the clowns work. The shop I use is located in Longwood, FL. Don't laugh, but the name of the shop is..."Flying Window Tinters". LOL They are in no way associated with the half ass shop on 436. One is, "Tint" the other is "Tinters". The owner explained it to me once but, I can't remember what the deal is on why their names are so close.

If you want, I can take a couple of pics for you to see the job they did on my TL. Rick and Barry are both good guys. Not sure if they still work there since it's been about 4 yrs since I've used them. BTW I'm very particular and OCD. Last time I was at the dealer for service the tech came out to tell me he's worked on several NSX's and never blinks. But he was scared to touch my TL because it was so clean.

Anyway, the only part I'm concerned about is the removal of your existing tint. The clown that did yours didn't want to remove your tint because it's a pain. Actually, It's a huge pain in the ass, especially the rear window because of the defroster. It can easily be damaged and it's very tedious work. Good idea you didn't have the clown do it. But, I'm afraid your defroster may get damaged even if the person removing it is very careful. You may want to leave the rear if it isn't that bad. You could save some cash and remove the sides yourself and ask a pro about removing the rear.
Where is this place in Longwood, is it off Ronald Reagon Blvd? I removed the tint 3 days after the horrible job, I used a tint remover solution I got from a llumar distributor here in town. I took everything off, and I am very OCD about the tint as well, so after I got the rear off I made sure the rear defrost worked, and it did so no worries there. I heard of the place in longwood but the names were so similar I figured I wasnt even going to try.

Quick Reply: Horrible Tint Experience, need a tinter for 3rd gen TL