Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be honest

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Wink Be honest

Which one do you really believe that is the most fun-to-drive, TL or TSX? Car&Driver seems to think it is the TSX.

YMMV. Having driven both in manual and autom., I find the TSX more nimble even if my money goes to the TL, for its overall package.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:11 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
hahah, I guess no body wants to be honest ... I would have gave my opinion but I never test drove TSX
Old 01-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I think the TXS is more fun, if you define fun as nimble and tossable. The loaner I had felt very connected to me, similar to my old SVT Contour.

The TL is larger, more luxurious and quieter, though.

Mike
Old 01-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL all the way. I want power.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Instructor

TL is a good combination of Power & Handling. But in the end TL has power TSX has handling. It depends on taste.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:34 PM
Advanced

i've test driven the tsx. its a very nice car. i felt really relaxed when i drove it. it was quiet and the handling reacted to each and every one of my movents. i thought it was pretty fast.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:55 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,478 Posts
I've never driven the TSX, but something about "4 banger" cars... when you "gun it" off the light... it just seem like the whole car rattles... is it so with the TSX? Anybody?
Old 01-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

had the tsx for the past 5 days and definitely enjoy driving the TL more. that said, my RSX is still the most fun to drive
Old 01-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Advanced

i felt a slight rattle but wasn't anything noticable.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Instructor

I would have gotten the TSX if it wasn't that cramp. The TSX feels like you can easily toss it around. I like the turn signals on the side mirrors.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:39 PM
A.K.A. Karl Hungus

I would buy a TSX before a TL if it had the V6 the Accord did. It was hands down the best engineered car I have driven.

BUT it never ever will, because Acura knows I'll buy the TL if it doesn't put the good v6 in the TSX.

I also thought the TSX stereo was better. And on a petty note, I like the mirror mounted turn signals.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
To be honest, the car that I found to be the most fun ever to drive was a 2002 VW Bug, I don't own one, but very fun to drive.

If I was super-rich, I would have a new bug as a errand car.

Mike Smeezy

Antracite/Ebony/Navi/5AT
Old 01-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro

I test drove both, and I think the TL is better because of the power. The 4 cyl. engine seemed so weak compared to the 6. I was flooring the car to get going (might have been because it was and auto).

As for handling, I got HPTs and this car handles at a level that I will not use. So, if the TSX actually DOES handle better, it would be wasted. And believe me, I am not a granny type driver, I take corners at high speed. When I did a slolum (sp) move to show someone how the car handles, they were tossed around so much they almost lost thier lunch.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:18 PM
LGG
Advanced

Fun to drive? TSX--IF you drive it like you just stole it.

Otherwise, the TL is more satisfying. You don't have to work as hard to make it go. It's quieter. Roomier. Better appointed.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Racer

I have owned both... TL hands down
Old 01-24-2004, 07:24 AM
Advanced

The TSX is fun to drive in a sportier sort of way (throw that sucker around and kick small butt) and the TL is fun to drive in a more refined sort of way (but still kicks large ass). I'm proud to have both of them in my garage.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:28 AM
Racer

Don’t forget the TSX IS a European Accord. And typically the European cars are known for their handling so I'd say it’s fair to assume that the TSX may be a bit better in the handling dept.

I test drove one about 6 months ago. I was very impressed with it for a 4-banger. It seemed to have enough torque to pull the higher gears @ lower RPM very easily.

However, I was not impressed enough to take it over the TL. But to each his own...
Old 01-24-2004, 07:56 AM
Advanced

I have both so the truth is if you are driving on a VERY winding road the TSX would be more fun but the TL is much more powerful you can enjoy it at any other time
Old 01-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Racer

I got to drive the TSX when my TL was in the shop - 1 day. The car was easy to throw around, but basically felt like a four banger. I haven't driven my TL hard as I did with TSX on that day, so can't tell you which performs better, but my TL's comfortable and stable ride, sneeky quickness, and tight suspension is a ton better than the TSX. If you can afford it, and I can make up plenty of excuses if you can't, go with TL. Or else, you'll regret it everytime you see a TL on the road.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Pro

I have the 2004 TL but did test drive the TSX. I really liked the TSX, it felt so nimble and tossable. I also like it's small size for driving in the city. But, I love the power of the TL and couldn't bring myself to go back to a 4 banger after getting used to the 6 in the 2000 TL. The 04 TL handles great, much better than the 00 TL but if the TSX had a 6 cylinder option the decision would have been more difficult.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Racer

Accord Coupe?

I have a friend who likes the new TL but for financial reasons he won't be able to swing it.

So for the last year he just resigned himself to the fact that he would get an Accord V6 Coupe instead.

But now that he's about ready to buy I suggested that for the same money he could get a TSX, so he's now been reading up on them.

Can anyone tell me how the Accord V6 Coupe fits into the TL vs. TSX mix?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Just great

Now I need to consider the TSX in my buying decision.
I got a product brochure from Acura in mail the other day and was amazed at the feature content that the TSX does have. The engine size doesn't really bother me since it will be the wifes car anyway. Besides, if I need a power surge I will just hope in the NSX and take it for a drive.
Guess I need to look closer and test drive the TSX now also.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Racer

As far as fun to drive, I would have to pick the TSX. Its smaller and seems more soild in turns.. But for the power and long term pleasure, definately the TL
Old 01-24-2004, 09:22 AM
Pro

I had TSX as a loaner for several days and took it on a 400 mile road trip. All I can say is that the lack of power and engine refinement is very significant compared to TL. I would NEVER consider buying TSX because of that.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by dulnev
I had TSX as a loaner for several days and took it on a 400 mile road trip. All I can say is that the lack of power and engine refinement is very significant compared to TL. I would NEVER consider buying TSX because of that.
So the TL is THAT much better than the TSX.
I went to the dealer today and looked at both and they were only about $3k difference in MSRP. Granted the TSX was loaded including nav and the TL didn't but for that little difference I guess the TL would be the better choice.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:51 PM
10th Gear

If u guys want a car for handling and power but would sacrifice luxory get an Mitsubishi Evolution VIII nuff said
Old 01-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Vtec1
If u guys want a car for handling and power but would sacrifice luxory get an Mitsubishi Evolution VIII nuff said
That is the advantage to having an Acura. You get the best of luxury and VERY good power all rolled into one.
No bones about it though, the Evo VIII is a mean beast but you do have to give up a lot to get it.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro

Re: Just great

Originally posted by 92NSX
Now I need to consider the TSX in my buying decision.
I got a product brochure from Acura in mail the other day and was amazed at the feature content that the TSX does have. The engine size doesn't really bother me since it will be the wifes car anyway. Besides, if I need a power surge I will just hope in the NSX and take it for a drive.
Guess I need to look closer and test drive the TSX now also.
I do not think it is that big of decision if you can swing the dough (and with an NSX, I think you can

The interior size of the TL is so much better than the TSX. Even though it is not for you, get in and out of the back seat a few times on both and let me know what you think. Also, the gas mileage is so close that the extra power comes as very little cost. And if you look at the Accord 4 vs 6, it cost about $3K more for the 6... So, you can think of buying a 6cyl TSX and get the bigger car thrown in for FREE...
Old 01-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

and with an NSX, I think you can
Why does everyone say that.
My wife just got an '01 Mustang and promised she would take care of it, unlike all her other cars in the past. She hasn't and won't. I have told her that I couldn't bear to see her get ANOTHER new car and do the same to it. Especially if it were something as nice as a TL or TSX.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Racer

Re: Accord Coupe?

Originally posted by Stewie
I have a friend who likes the new TL but for financial reasons he won't be able to swing it.

So for the last year he just resigned himself to the fact that he would get an Accord V6 Coupe instead.

But now that he's about ready to buy I suggested that for the same money he could get a TSX, so he's now been reading up on them.

Thanks!
In case you haven't seen it, here's a great video comparing TSX and Accord Coupe V6...

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=147731

They noted that the TSX handles significantly better, and was a hoot to drive.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Overall, I would take TL. Can't live without that V-6 power. I'm sure this is how V-8 owners feel. I test drove TSX before, very impressed. It was fun, nimble and agile, however it just lacked that punch I desired so much. On a twisty mount road, going down hill, TSX should be more fun, but on the up hill TL!
Old 01-24-2004, 08:06 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,478 Posts
Re: Accord Coupe?

Originally posted by Stewie

Thanks!
Accord Coupe MT, 0-60 in 5.9 seconds
Old 01-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Talking

I got loaner's car for TSX couple weeks ago. It feels like a "Luxry CIVIC". No power at all. and the engine sounds like CIVIC as well......
Old 01-25-2004, 12:27 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I have a TSX and I have test-driven the 04 TL too. I could afford either car and I had the hardest time choosing between them. I found that the TSX had better handling but the TL is smoother, more powerful and even more luxurious. However, I prefer the styling of the TSX, though both cars are great looking machines. In the end, I chose the TSX, simply for one really stupid fact - there is no rear folding seat in the TL!!! Now I am having second thoughts and am wondering if I should trade in my brand new TSX for a 04 TL... it probably won't happen because I probably will make a significant loss if I do that now.

Anyway, with regard to the comparison between these cars and the Accord V6, it is very true that on paper, the TSX looks so much worse because of the numbers (0-60 time etc.) but please don't ignore the fact that the handling is probably the best with the TSX. Of these 3 cars, its handling is the closest to that of the BMW 3 series.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:02 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to me fun is gadgets. and the 04 TL wins this time.

Power is nice together with space to bring many friends with you!
Old 01-25-2004, 05:00 AM
Intermediate

I've test drove in the same day the following cars in order w/o sales people:
Auto TSX
Man TSX
Auto TL

Next day
Man Accord V6 cpe
Auto Accord v6 cpe

2 wks later
Auto Accord V6 cpe

one month later
Auto TSX
Auto TL

I bought a TL

I went to the dealer to buy a TSX (the dealer gave me the option to drive the TSX first and the TL second). I LOVE the TSX, but it is soo under powered. I don't know how anyone can call this car fast. It feels like you are driving a 4 cyl. It really labors to get up in speed. I'm comparing overall speed to my Volvo C70 Turbo cpe. The TSX is tossable and really fun. I felt connected to the car. I loved how the "cockpit" seemed to wrap around me. I enjoyed driving the manual version of the TSX (bad decision in DC) because it was somewhat quick. The TL turns are too wide and is not as nimble. A Mer ML (SUV) has a better turn radius that this car! In this car is would be hard to make a U turn while traffic is coming. You have to think about the turn (This is a HUGE disappointment). It is fast though. It begs to be a cruiser. I love the interior and gadgets of the TL. The radio in the TL does not have the power of the TSX's radio, but the TL's radio does the little things well. Wattage in a stereo means nothing if the bass is very distorted (i.e. the speakers in the TSX suck). The TL feels like a bigger car. It doesn't give me that "drive me hard" feeling that the TSX does. The TL reassures me that when I need the power, I'll get it (which is good because of all my sp tics). If the TSX had a 6, it would be the "ultimate driving machine". However, because it does not, the TL gets the nod. If the TSX had a V6 I could not justify the price difference (I like bluetooth, but it is not required and DVD-A might not be around next year).

ANYONE who thinks the Accord V6 "feels" luxurious is smoking crack or has not driving a true luxury car. I'm tired of people comparing the Accord to the TSX or TL. The Accord feels cheap. The Accord's interior does not even compare. Example: check out the back side arm rest (cheap plastic vs. leather) or the center console (notice how the TSX and TL's center console slowly go up) or how the plastic used in the Accord side center console is a cheaper version of the plastic used in Acura's line. The Accord has a great "looking" interior...but to make that leap that it is luxurious is just ignorant (bmw, mercedes, volvo is luxurious....accord and mazda is not!). The V6 manual is really really nice. It is really fast. I considered getting the V6 manual cpe, but I couldn't get past the interior's cheapness. The V6 auto cpe does not have a smooth power band. I drove the V6 Auto up a steep hill and was disappointed. I was expecting WAY more power (The TL ate this hill up). If you are concerned about money and want a V6...get the cpe. If you don't mind having a nimble semi-lux 4 cyl....get the TSX. The TL IMHO is the best choice, because it does more things well.

If I were to rank the cars by:
quickness: TL;Accord; TSX
interior: TL; TSX; Accord
overall: TL, tie (TSX ; Accord)
my ratings: TL; TSX; Accord (what I would buy)

My wish: V6 TSX!
Old 01-25-2004, 06:18 AM
Advanced

What about the RSX?
Old 01-25-2004, 07:42 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
mdplaya, you got it! If a TSX with V6 would have been a dream! Now, there is a rumor that a TSX with turbo and AWD might be coming out next year... if that's true, I wonder how many potential TL buyers would be tempted to get the TSX instead???

mitchdeerfield, the RSX is a really fun to drive little thing, but it is not in the same league as the TSX or TL at all. It does not feel luxurious and it is small. It's perfect for young kids but I think the TSX and TL aim at a more sophisticated crowd.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Racer

I went through the same decision process as many of you. I started with the 530 as my target, then due to cost limits, switched to the 330 and G35. Then I drove the TSX and was ready to buy, until I heard of the TL. I waited and was sold.
I am one of the few here who believe that the TL with HPT is a better handling car than the TSX. The comment that the TSX is more nimble, I think is only true when you compare a TSX with the TL with the Allseason turanza's. The Edmunds review with the 67.5 slalom and the recent TOV test point to a car that is quite nimble, and very fast in the twistes. If you like a smaller sized car and any of the other features of the TSX, it is a great car. If you want the best performance car, with more room and more luxury, get the TL. You won't regret it.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:37 AM
Pro

Originally posted by mitchdeerfield
What about the RSX?
I did not test drive a RSX, but it is not a choice if you need a back seat. I crawled in the back seat and it is TIGHT. The hatchback is raked down so fast that you have low headroom. In fact, the hinges were only an inch or so from your head. I would hate to be in an accident with friends (OR ME) in the backseat.

Quick Reply: Be honest