3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda/Acura quality not what it used to be?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not going to read all the responses in this thread, but I will say that you can have this happen with any car, including a Chevy:lol2:

However, having owned or leased an Acura over the last 12 years, I can say that their QC and attention to detail has diminished over the years. I think a large part of it (and it gives me no pleasure to say this) is the fact they are manufactured here in the US, as opposed to when they were assembled in Japan.

That said, your problem is hopefully an isolated incident.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:28 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Honda/Acura, Nissan,Toyota cars just arent built as good as they were in the late 80's to mid 90's they just arent. American cars seem to be getting a little better but still up to those MFG's standards, that just shows ya how much better built they are/were than American cars.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm not going to read all the responses in this thread, but I will say that you can have this happen with any car, including a Chevy
Of course it can, but it didn't for HER and that's all she cares about.

However, having owned or leased an Acura over the last 12 years, I can say that their QC and attention to detail has diminished over the years. I think a large part of it (and it gives me no pleasure to say this) is the fact they are manufactured here in the US, as opposed to when they were assembled in Japan.
Not sure what to say on this, my research didn't show this, in fact reviews have said the opposite so what can I say.

That said, your problem is hopefully an isolated incident.
Nope, as my next post will show....
Old 01-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, day two in the RSX saga, midnight last night I tell my wife I'm going to start her car just to make sure it's ok.
Go figure it cranks over and over but doesn't start, go figure. I took it out of park and tried putting it back in park in case it didn't engage properly, crap I tried everything, NADA, ZIP ZILCH.

Car has now been towed to Continental Acura where we bought it with instructions to fix it or keep it. We will not be picking it up until they have had it a few nights and it starts in the morning outside. If on Saturday it doesn't start we want the car replaced.

The wife is near her boiling point, we have now had her car towed twice in two days, this is twice more than any car combined in 20 years for either of us.

Not cool.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:45 AM
HMFIC

You broke the first law of a wife's car. Always let her choose what she wants. Now, any problem with the car is YOUR fault. Good luck getting the RSX fixed!

Don
Old 01-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Trust me, the choice was hers, I just begged her to keep an open mind and look at other cars besides the Chevy.

She made the final choice to buy because she fell in love with the RXS, but in the end even if this was the Chevy I would hear about it.....
Old 01-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Norse396

Not sure what to say on this, my research didn't show this, in fact reviews have said the opposite so what can I say.

What research/ reviews are you referring to? Are you trying to say that QC is better in American plants than their Japanese counterparts?

Also, I assume they are providing you with a loaner during the course of service?
Old 01-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

What research/ reviews are you referring to? Are you trying to say that QC is better in American plants than their Japanese counterparts?
Consumer reports was one of them, and I'm not saying either the Japanese or the US makes better cars. In this case it doesn't matter, this car should start, American, Korean, Swede German or American, it's only two weeks old and it's been towed twice. My mom's KIA Sephia has a better track record and it starts everyday.

Also, I assume they are providing you with a loaner during the course of service?
No need for a loaner yesterday because it was in and out very quickly, today she got a ride to work because Continental Acura is so far away. We'll see what happens, the car is still in the driveway, looks like Acura told them there wasn't a hurry (that's what the towing service says anyway) so we still have no idea what's going on. I think I'm keeping my cool pretty good considering....
Old 01-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Norse396
We'll see what happens, the car is still in the driveway, looks like Acura told them there wasn't a hurry (that's what the towing service says anyway) so we still have no idea what's going on. I think I'm keeping my cool pretty good considering....
Well don't trust what the towing company says, they are just contracted with Acura, but always CYA themselves. You should be entitled to a loaner, so ask for one.

I agree that you are keeping your cool well.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

They have offered a loaner, but we don't need it until Saturday. It's more of a pain to go the 30 miles to get the wife, drive 30 more to get the car then drive 30 more to go home. Too many miles being added to my car and she isn't in the mood to go. So Saturday it is.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:53 PM
Advanced

I've only owned 2 Acuras - my '04 TL and an '87 Integra LS that I drove right off the showroom floor in 1987. Maybe my memories are fuzzy but I remember that Integra being rock solid with zero rattles. Even at 50K miles.

Granted, my TL is a lot more complex but the amount of squeaks and rattles is unacceptable for a car in this price range - especially since it showcases 17 years of development for Acura.

Ed

P.S. Both of my Mustangs went right past their warranty expiration without a single visit to the dealer except for scheduled maintenance. Their build quality was crap but mechanically they were tough as nails.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

emendez,

Every Mustang I've ever owned were tough as nails, they lived at the track and took a beating. Says something about Ford I think, but I've always had good luck with Honda as well, until now.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Update, the dealer thinks the anti-theft system is faulty, it didn't start for them this morning but flashes the "key" light when you try to start the car, it's always done this since we bought it, the mechanic says it shouldn't.

This explains a few things! It should be fixed tomorrow.