Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home Link & Genie Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home Link & Genie Problems

I cannot get the home link in my 2005 TL to work with my garage door opener -- a genie intellicode. Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

This what I have done do far:

1. Followed instructions in Owners Manual and homelink site for Fixed Code and rolling Code openers.
2. Seached these board for other suggestions
3. Reviewed TSB issued Jan 2005. My home link unit passes the test, but still does not work.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Advanced

rolling codes are a bit tough... I've successfully programmed both of my genie remotes and I do remember the instructions being confusing. First step is telling the Homelink that it's a rolling code and the button sequence involves pressing the button on a remote, then you have to hit the "learn" button on the opener and something on the homelink. The first step is very important! actually, both are. Honestly though, the homelink has better range than ANY of my remotes I can open my garage door from around the corner and down the block! not sure why that's entirely necessary, but cool none-the-less.

My advice, try again, read carefully and make sure you're following ALL of the directions, be methodical, and it would be very useful to have another person standing by ready to punch the "learn" button.

Something you may want to think about... With rolling code systems, they can only have a limited number of remotes, I think Genie, 7 is max, but I'm not sure, could be as low as 4.

G-Luck
Old 04-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

First step is telling the Homelink that it's a rolling code and the button sequence involves pressing the button on a remote, then you have to hit the "learn" button on the opener and something on the homelink. The first step is very important!
I thinkI have followd the ionstruction for Roling codes to a "T"

1. Reset Home Link by pushing the outside 2 butttons for 20 sec -- lights start blinking fast.

2. press the Train Me button on the the garage door opener -- the led starts flashing. My car is parked inside the garage (right under the garade door opener)

3. Press one of the three Home Link buttons for 2-3 seconds 2 times (or three depends on the instructions). I have tried one, two and three. The Training light on the Genie is supposed to stop flashing. But it never does.

Help
Old 04-12-2005, 08:38 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by crvlvr
I thinkI have followd the ionstruction for Roling codes to a "T"

1. Reset Home Link by pushing the outside 2 butttons for 20 sec -- lights start blinking fast.

2. press the Train Me button on the the garage door opener -- the led starts flashing. My car is parked inside the garage (right under the garade door opener)

3. Press one of the three Home Link buttons for 2-3 seconds 2 times (or three depends on the instructions). I have tried one, two and three. The Training light on the Genie is supposed to stop flashing. But it never does.

Help
I had a similar problem with my Genie. You are following the directions for the TL Homelink correctly. But you need to reset the Genie rolling code before training your TL's Homelink. Right now your TL's Homelink is trying to break the Genie code...which is exactly what the rolling code prevents (otherwise hackers would be training remotes to match your openener and have a garage sale while you were at work! ) . So you have to baseline the rolling code on the Genie Head unit 1st, then adapt the Homelink. On the Genie head unit (usually inside the light housing) is a reset button. Press it until the light flashes, resetting the rolling code), then go train your TL's Homelink and you should be fine. I also have a remote opener keypad outside of the garage door, but that did not have to be retrained.

Try it & good luck!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Racer

I had this problem and it took forever. Trial and error. Are you doing this inside the garage? Took my wife and I about 4 tries. She was in car and i was holding the button on the garage door opener. Good Luck.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Advanced

Try programming the opener to the TL, then reset the Genie and press the TL Homelink button. I think that is how I programmed mine. Otherwise, you are teaching it the code from the genie remote during programming of the TL.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Intermediate

Thanks TampaMike. stocks2k and tfe691 for your reponses . I have tried both 1. training home link using the genie remote and 2. pressing the Train button on the GDO unit and training to the home Link to the GDO. Both these options were tried separately (with a Reset in between), and neither worked.

I just called Home Link and got an automated voice. Apparently as stocks2k states, I have to train thehome Link to the remote first and then train the Home Link to the GDO Unit in succession. I plan to try this tonight and will report.

Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:23 AM
Racer

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106070

This is the link I used the other day, it followed the directions to the T that are in the amnual and nothing.

Then I found these instructions, Programmed both Genies in about 5 minutes!!!

Enjoy
Old 04-13-2005, 07:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
As a last resort if thegabrielles instuctions don't work, Homelink will upon request send you a transfomer that plugs into your opener allowing the TL to override the Genie's code. I did this for my opener (not a Genie however) and it did the trick. FWIW
Old 04-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crvlvr
Thanks TampaMike. stocks2k and tfe691 for your reponses . I have tried both 1. training home link using the genie remote and 2. pressing the Train button on the GDO unit and training to the home Link to the GDO. Both these options were tried separately (with a Reset in between), and neither worked.

I just called Home Link and got an automated voice. Apparently as stocks2k states, I have to train thehome Link to the remote first and then train the Home Link to the GDO Unit in succession. I plan to try this tonight and will report.

Thanks again.

There's your problem... no reset between. According to your previous post, it doesn't sound like you're doing it quite right. First off, don't use the quick start guide, that's completely wrong and the owner's manual is hard enough to follow. Here's what you need to do step by step:

1. Press and hold 2 outside buttons (1 and 3) for 20 seconds until the red indicator flashes. (This will reset anything you've done previously)
2. Unplug garage door opener
3. Hold garage door opener remote 2-5 inches from Homelink
4. Press and hold remote control button and one of the homelink bumttons at the same time
5. When the red indicator flashes rapidly, release both buttons.
6. Plug in the garage door opener
7. Press the training button on the garage door opener
8. Press and hold the button (same button as above) on Homelink for 3 to 4 seconds.
9. Press and hold the Homelink button again for 3 to 4 seconds. (The training light on your garage door opener should turn off).
10. Press Homelinke button one more time and garage door should open (or close).

As I mentioned in an above post, the first part (1-5) just tells the home link that you're training a rolling code transmitter, the second part (7-9) actually links homelink with the garage door opener.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by SilverQuartzTL
There's your problem... no reset between. According to your previous post, it doesn't sound like you're doing it quite right. First off, don't use the quick start guide, that's completely wrong and the owner's manual is hard enough to follow. Here's what you need to do step by step:

1. Press and hold 2 outside buttons (1 and 3) for 20 seconds until the red indicator flashes. (This will reset anything you've done previously)
4. Press and hold remote control button and one of the homelink bumttons at the same time
8. Press and hold the button (same button as above) on Homelink for 3 to 4 seconds.
9. Press and hold the Homelink button again for 3 to 4 seconds. (The training light on your garage door opener should turn off).
10. Press Homelinke button one more time and garage door should open (or close).

As I mentioned in an above post, the first part (1-5) just tells the home link that you're training a rolling code transmitter, the second part (7-9) actually links homelink with the garage door opener.

Perfect...thanks for the help! One less piece of clutter in my console!
Old 04-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Intermediate

SilverQuartz instructions are great. finally got my Home Link to work with the Genie. thanks
Old 04-14-2005, 01:40 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by SilverQuartzTL

Thank you so much SilverQuartzTL for these instructions. I pretty much had given up on programming the garage opener because I could never get it to work in the past. Your instructions worked the first time!!!! Thanks again!
Old 04-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Awesome... Glad I could help fellas. The instruction in he quick start guide are completely worthless and the ones in the owner's manual aren't the good either. You'd think with a technology that's so liberally distributed to auto manufacturers they'd be able to make it crystal clear!
Old 04-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a twist

I am able to successfully link my Homelink 1 button to my first garage door opener. After about 2 weeks of normal usage, it is opening/closing my second garage door opener as well. The result is both doors will move simultaneuosly when I press the Homelink 1 button.

This has happened three times now! Each time I go through the linkage process again and it works well for 1-2 weeks. Note that both openers are the same model.

This third time, I decided to not link Homelink 2 to garage door 2 to see if it made a difference. It did not. Other than a call to the Homelnik people, does anyone have a suggestion? Has this happened to you?