Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hogs hair car wash brush

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hogs hair car wash brush

trying to figure out what type of brush is good for minimizing fine line scratches from washing. Is it reasonable to spend $40 for a brush made of hogs hair which is supposed to very delicate on paint finishes. I was hoping to use this with the mr.clean system. Mits are easier to use but are more likiely to leave behind scratches. any thoughts? thanks in advance
Old 06-08-2004, 09:21 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
use only 100% cotton towel or 100% cotton micro fiber cloth. No brush. No matter how fine it is, it will put scratches on the clear coat.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:22 PM
You touch my tra la la...

OMG I heart scratches it makes the car faster +10 hp.

:P
Old 06-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Safety Car

i use a microfiber wash mitt.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vtec_1994
trying to figure out what type of brush is good for minimizing fine line scratches from washing. Is it reasonable to spend $40 for a brush made of hogs hair which is supposed to very delicate on paint finishes. I was hoping to use this with the mr.clean system. Mits are easier to use but are more likiely to leave behind scratches. any thoughts? thanks in advance
That Mr. Clean De-ionizing filter works great! Never have to dry by hand and never leaves any spots! Less chance of scatching.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joganjani
use only 100% cotton towel or 100% cotton micro fiber cloth. No brush. No matter how fine it is, it will put scratches on the clear coat.

Boars hair is actually much safer for washing than cotton or micro fiber. Quite a few detailers that contract at Concours events (such as Pebble Beach) use boars hair exclusively on the exterior for washing. Boars hair has naturally split ends and quality wash brushes will be made of very young hair, they are normally physically "split" again to improve softness. The key is getting a quality brush, the price range for high quality seems to be somewhere in the $65 range for a wash brush.

Most of the negative boars hair issues are from fake boars hair which is usually stiffened horse hair, often containing polyester or other plastics.

Also micro-fiber by definition is NOT cotton, it is a type of polyester!

Vandy
Old 06-09-2004, 01:43 AM
Racer

I appreciate Savage TL's comments, but brushes make me VERY nervous around my paint. I have used a special car washing brush with finely split ends (not boars hair however) and it caused scratches. It wasn't the brush, I believe it is the dirt being dragged around by the brush.

I use only a natural lamb's wool glove for washing, rinsed frequently, and a separate sponge for wheels, tires and dirty lower parts of the car.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:56 AM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Its the notion of the traditional brush that scares you. When you first hear brush, you think bristles or those brillo pads. But the brushes that vtec 1994 is talking about is the boar brush that does not scratch the coat but actually washes the car better than most other things out there. Check it out, it feels so soft.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Intermediate

I have used a boars hair brush on my car for a few years and swear by it. Ifyou wash your car alot it works great. It is not very good at removing heavy grime. I purchased mine from Griot's Garage.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:31 AM
NBP - Public Relations

I never knew about microfiber before this car and now thats all I use. Who uses Mr. Clean? Is it worth it? Or is there no substitue for a hand wash and dry?
Old 06-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MikeyK
I never knew about microfiber before this car and now thats all I use. Who uses Mr. Clean? Is it worth it? Or is there no substitue for a hand wash and dry?
if you use any type of synthetic wax,(zaino, nxt) i would not go with it. there has been threads in other forums stating that they don't mix well together. both meguiars and zaino have made statements that the mr. clean system will not work with their products. the filtered water for the mr clean system is a good idea but that's about all i would use out of that product.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Micro-fiber wild Boars brush imported from Tasmania works best. If that is unavailable try using 100% genuine goose down. It works great once the water gets absorbed. When all else fails, use the packing that comes with the Zaino kit.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Advanced

I recently tried the Mr. Clean system.

-Voracious water-user and middling spray on unfiltered.
-"Suds" is water with a few bubbles. Not-very-dirty car used half a fill-up.
-Using as directed is cumbersome, and one still needs a bucket to rinse out the wash mitt/cloth.

Best use is to wash car using bucket, etc. and then re-rinse using filtered water. I have very hard water and the filtered setting left NO spots, though I did chamois-dry (damp weather). Worth $20 for that alone.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Pro

I use a microfiber coated sponge on both cars and have had very good luck with it. They are only $4 at Target, and I actually use a new one every time to minimize the possibility of dirt particles becoming stuck in it (maybe a little excessive, but it makes me feel better).

Incidentally, swirl marks/scratches probably have something to do with the applicator (sponge, mitt, cotton, boar's hair, etc.) but are at least partially related to overzealous scrubbing--in effect working tiny dirt paticles into the clear coat/paint. Lots of soapy water should be applied VERY lightly by the brush, sponge, etc. that you prefer. Except for stubborn sap, bugs, or tar, there is usually no need to scrub very hard.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:34 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by savageTL
Boars hair is actually much safer for washing than cotton or micro fiber. Quite a few detailers that contract at Concours events (such as Pebble Beach) use boars hair exclusively on the exterior for washing. Boars hair has naturally split ends and quality wash brushes will be made of very young hair, they are normally physically "split" again to improve softness. The key is getting a quality brush, the price range for high quality seems to be somewhere in the $65 range for a wash brush.

Most of the negative boars hair issues are from fake boars hair which is usually stiffened horse hair, often containing polyester or other plastics.

Vandy
I agree. However, this is only if you keep it clean. Cotton towel is more easy to keep clean than the brush. Once it gets dirts in to hairs, it will scratch the surface. Each their own.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

I dont care what you use sooner or later you will start to get those fine lines on the car. Darker color cars are more vulnerable then lighter colors.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by savageTL

Vandy

Excellent info. where can i safely buy the real thing on the internet or in person?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:49 AM
HMFIC

try http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=66073

Don