3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway rear end....TL is totaled, it seems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 01:36 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Welcome to the club lol. My 3Gwas rear ended a couple months ago on a back road, causing me to fishtail between two barbed wired fences. Oh, and the driver who tapped me took off.

Still haven't decided on a replacement car, but am leaning towards a CPO Lexus GS350. The transmission issues in the TLX section have permanently scared me off, even though the deals too good to pass (got quoted 27.5k plus tax for new 2015 TLX 4cyl base). The 16 Accord also seems like the biggest bang for the buck with all the standard features, especially CarPlay and Android Auto. Been borrowing my parent's new MDX in the meantime which is fine with me.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by honda_nut
Welcome to the club lol. My 3Gwas rear ended a couple months ago on a back road, causing me to fishtail between two barbed wired fences. Oh, and the driver who tapped me took off.

Still haven't decided on a replacement car, but am leaning towards a CPO Lexus GS350. The transmission issues in the TLX section have permanently scared me off, even though the deals too good to pass (got quoted 27.5k plus tax for new 2015 TLX 4cyl base). The 16 Accord also seems like the biggest bang for the buck with all the standard features, especially CarPlay and Android Auto. Been borrowing my parent's new MDX in the meantime which is fine with me.

I should read up on the TLX transmission issues, I haven't heard of any, but then again I had no reason to research the car either...
Old 10-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
I should read up on the TLX transmission issues, I haven't heard of any, but then again I had no reason to research the car either...
Make sure you have LOTS OF TIME on your hand......

There are even class action lawsuits for the transmission issues
Old 10-20-2015, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Make sure you have LOTS OF TIME on your hand......

There are even class action lawsuits for the transmission issues
Wow it's that bad? Hmmm, that may be a dealbreaker then. That's a bummer, I really love the looks of the car and everything, just haven't gotten to drive one yet. I'll check it out and see what the warranty covers on the transmission.

Do the issues have to do with the 8spd or the 9spd? I'd be considering the 4cyl one
Old 10-20-2015, 02:32 PM
2016 Acura TLX

The worst are the V6 9spd, which I confirmed in my test drives. The 4cyl 8spd isn't as bad, but still is a hit or miss. Don't tell the TLX guys though; some of them will deny it and even question whether you test drove one lol. Like I have time to write fake posts about test drives.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

The worst are the V6 9spd, which I confirmed in my test drives. The 4cyl 8spd isn't as bad, but still is a hit or miss. Don't tell the TLX guys though; some of them will deny it and even question whether you test drove one lol. Like I have time to write fake posts about test drives.
Every review I've seen of the TLX, especially the 4cyl has been good, no one mentioned the transmission being a problem, but I did Google it and surprised to see. One thread I saw found a TSB for the 8spd so maybe that fixed it?

I'll go out and test drive sometime. I have some time today, but with how sore I feel today I'm not in the mood.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...issues-920749/

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...el-vcm-920442/

Honda Faces Class Action Over Acura TLX Transmission Defect
The following users liked this post:
dezymond (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 03:33 PM
2016 Acura TLX

If you do decide to get one, I highly recommend Robert Whitlow at Acura of Pleasanton.

Here is an email I got from them: "We can now offer you a brand new 2016 ILX for as low as $24,990 plus tax, fees, and $119 dealer charges. We have great deals on the TLX as well, starting at $27,526 Plus, tax, fees and dealer charges."

-Neil
Old 10-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you do decide to get one, I highly recommend Robert Whitlow at Acura of Pleasanton.

Here is an email I got from them: "We can now offer you a brand new 2016 ILX for as low as $24,990 plus tax, fees, and $119 dealer charges. We have great deals on the TLX as well, starting at $27,526 Plus, tax, fees and dealer charges."

-Neil
Oh wow, didn't even noticed you were located in NorCal. Good lookin out man! It's a bit further of a drive for me, but not too bad either. I'll be sure to check them out.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Glad you're safe man, but damn. Poor TL. Hope that person that rear ended you gets what's coming to him. Could have hurt a lot of people.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
Yeah. Those V6 TLX trannies, everyone is Bitchin about...
I'd definitely go with the GS350 too... I'm seriously considering one myself for 2016
Old 10-20-2015, 08:53 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by 96SC4
I'd definitely go with the GS350 too... I'm seriously considering one myself for 2016
Absolutely in love with those GS350's. Lexus did an awesome job with that car
96SC4 (10-21-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Safety Car

The links I posted effect the 4 cyl tlx as well

Gs-f is where it's at. Love it in Orange

Lexus IS new Japanese bmw

Acura is grandpas Buick
The following 2 users liked this post by 2012wagon:
96SC4 (10-21-2015), TacoBello (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
^^^^lmfao..
Old 10-20-2015, 09:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rexflexall
Glad you're safe man, but damn. Poor TL. Hope that person that rear ended you gets what's coming to him. Could have hurt a lot of people.
Yeah, again, supposedly CHP said there was a reported speeder in the area, so maybe that was him/her. Maybe my TL saved some other people that night, but it sure as hell did its job in keeping me safe.

Definitely more sore today than past two days though.

My mom has a 2013 GS350 and it's a great car. Very comfortable, feels very light especially compared to a TL, and it just looks awesome. I drive it every now and then, and it would for sure make a great daily.
96SC4 (10-21-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts

My mom has a 2013 GS350 and it's a great car. Very comfortable, feels very light especially compared to a TL, and it just looks awesome. I drive it every now and then, and it would for sure make a great daily.
Buy hers and convince her to upgrade

Old 10-21-2015, 12:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Buy hers and convince her to upgrade

I tried. I said "you know alot of former 3G TL owners upgrade to the GS350...."

She's said "then you go buy your own GS350"

The GS350 is out my budget....I was very happy with my 3G TL. I just want to test drive the new Accord and TLX, see if I want to spend money on a new car. I wouldn't mind at all being in another 3G TL, I loved every minute of mine, but the technology of the other two are very good and what I want in my next car. Thought he driving experience of the 3G TL can be enough to overlook the other two.

I'm really in no rush though, get recovered, find out how much I get for my totaled TL, and then can really start looking at cars.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:29 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Very sorry to hear of your loss and I hope you recover quickly. The problem with our TLs is that as time goes on, they're worth less and therefore get totalled more easily in a collision (yours was especially bad, so it's likely it would never be the same even if repaired). I agree that an Accord (even if not a 2016, like a 2013-2015 is a very good car and can be had for not too much money, in something like EX-L trim)- I have a short list of cars that would replace my TL if I lost it in a collision, and the Accord is near the top of the list. I'm a bit older and don't want a high car payment, even if it means driving something more benign as my daily driver (love sports cars/ luxury cars but don't want the high associated payment).
Old 10-21-2015, 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by erdoc48
Very sorry to hear of your loss and I hope you recover quickly. The problem with our TLs is that as time goes on, they're worth less and therefore get totalled more easily in a collision (yours was especially bad, so it's likely it would never be the same even if repaired). I agree that an Accord (even if not a 2016, like a 2013-2015 is a very good car and can be had for not too much money, in something like EX-L trim)- I have a short list of cars that would replace my TL if I lost it in a collision, and the Accord is near the top of the list. I'm a bit older and don't want a high car payment, even if it means driving something more benign as my daily driver (love sports cars/ luxury cars but don't want the high associated payment).
Yeah and if I were to get an Accord it would be the 2016 EX-L trim. I've driven a few and they make for great DDs; comfy, quiet, practical, great mpg, etc. They're just pretty bland.

And that's what I loved about the TL, the steering feel. It was a very direct feeling car and reminded me quite a bit of my s2000, but instead with luxury, practicality, and comfort. It's the reason why I'm considering another TL. It was a very comfortable and quiet car (minus some rattles here and there), but when it came to the twisty roads, it was a joy to drive. Also there wouldn't be any car payments to worry about.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Personally, as nice as a new car is, I'd go the no-payments route also.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Glad your safe but your physical pain may come to an end soon. Now you get to deal with the pain of dealing with the insurance companies fighting for the value of your car as they will low ball you.

Good luck and speedy recovery.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012wagon
The links I posted effect the 4 cyl tlx as well

Gs-f is where it's at. Love it in Orange

Lexus IS new Japanese bmw

Acura is grandpas Buick
New GS-F starts around $85k. Lol

Yeah, again, supposedly CHP said there was a reported speeder in the area, so maybe that was him/her. Maybe my TL saved some other people that night, but it sure as hell did its job in keeping me safe.

Definitely more sore today than past two days though.

Yeah. Definitely leaning toward a GS350 AWD next year. I just love them. Plus I could use some AWD for winter months...
Good luck with your car search.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:05 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Yeah and if I were to get an Accord it would be the 2016 EX-L trim. I've driven a few and they make for great DDs; comfy, quiet, practical, great mpg, etc. They're just pretty bland.

And that's what I loved about the TL, the steering feel. It was a very direct feeling car and reminded me quite a bit of my s2000, but instead with luxury, practicality, and comfort. It's the reason why I'm considering another TL. It was a very comfortable and quiet car (minus some rattles here and there), but when it came to the twisty roads, it was a joy to drive. Also there wouldn't be any car payments to worry about.

OP, consider a 3G Type-S if you decide to stay with the 3G. Steering is stiffer and more sporty than the base, since you mentioned you liked the feel of the 3g
Old 10-21-2015, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
Glad your safe but your physical pain may come to an end soon. Now you get to deal with the pain of dealing with the insurance companies fighting for the value of your car as they will low ball you.

Good luck and speedy recovery.
I feel way better than I did the past two days. Woke up not stiff at all, but still a bit sore, which is good considering my neck was strained. So far I haven't taken any of the pills I was prescribed so that's a great sign. I thought for sure I'd wake up feeling worse today.

Yeah the latter definitely doesn't sound like fun at all to deal with. If they don't get back to me about how much my car was appraised for then I'm contacting them tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by quanaman
OP, consider a 3G Type-S if you decide to stay with the 3G. Steering is stiffer and more sporty than the base, since you mentioned you liked the feel of the 3g
I found one fairly close by but they're asking $24k

I give them that it's clean and very low mileage, 40k mi, but c'mon you can't put a $6k markup due to the "rarity" of it. I'll send them an offer of about $18k see if they'll budge.

I know the suspension on the Type S is a bit more stiff. I think the balance of the regular 3G was great; sporty and comfortable. I have to admit I never drove or ridden in a type S before so I'll be sure to check it out. Just gotta find the right car.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:48 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
I found one fairly close by but they're asking $24k

I give them that it's clean and very low mileage, 40k mi, but c'mon you can't put a $6k markup due to the "rarity" of it. I'll send them an offer of about $18k see if they'll budge.

I know the suspension on the Type S is a bit more stiff. I think the balance of the regular 3G was great; sporty and comfortable. I have to admit I never drove or ridden in a type S before so I'll be sure to check it out. Just gotta find the right car.
Yeah, thats pretty ridiculous considering you can get a 4G for around that price, or a new accord haha.

I think the suspension is a little stiffer. I wouldn't say the suspension difference is that noticeable but then again I have almost always had coilovers on my type-S's which I set to be really stiff. The steering wheel itself on the Type-S is a little stiffer IIRC due to a different steering rack than the base. The steering wheel is a little harder to turn than the base's looser steering wheel (for lack of a better word). If you've ever driven a BMW you'll know what I mean, they have really heavy steering from what I'm told. It just makes the car feel tighter and a little sportier to me. I guess its hard to explain
Old 10-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Drove a friend 07 335i coupe, steering wheel is a bit heavier than my TL however the steering is precise (meaning a small movement on the wheel you can feel the car start changing direction). I test a base 07 TL back in 2012 and the car is softer than Type S, not much but you def will notice the differences, BTW OP you live in CA where the road is almost perfect except for couple highway like I-5 near LA.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by quanaman
Yeah, thats pretty ridiculous considering you can get a 4G for around that price, or a new accord haha.

I think the suspension is a little stiffer. I wouldn't say the suspension difference is that noticeable but then again I have almost always had coilovers on my type-S's which I set to be really stiff. The steering wheel itself on the Type-S is a little stiffer IIRC due to a different steering rack than the base. The steering wheel is a little harder to turn than the base's looser steering wheel (for lack of a better word). If you've ever driven a BMW you'll know what I mean, they have really heavy steering from what I'm told. It just makes the car feel tighter and a little sportier to me. I guess its hard to explain
I get what you're saying. I just don't know how big of a difference there is between a base and a type s. That's where I gotta get behind the wheel of a type S.

But yeah that seller of the Type S I doubt will budge, probably not even worth sending an offer.

Originally Posted by truonghthe
Drove a friend 07 335i coupe, steering wheel is a bit heavier than my TL however the steering is precise (meaning a small movement on the wheel you can feel the car start changing direction). I test a base 07 TL back in 2012 and the car is softer than Type S, not much but you def will notice the differences, BTW OP you live in CA where the road is almost perfect except for couple highway like I-5 near LA.
Hah! I assure you the roads here are not perfect. I live in the Bay Area and although there have been some improvements, it is far from perfect. Major freeways have patches of good road, but where there's alot of traffic, roads are terrible, and I really got to find out how bad when I had my s2000. The TL absorbed those imperfections quite nicely though.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:28 PM
2016 Acura TLX

I got a little over 13k for my 2005 TL w/ navi and 109k miles. I've looked for another 3G on craigslist and seems like I can get a similar one for much less and pocket the rest of the money. A 2007 or 2008 will probably be a little more though. Also the Type-S seems to be ridiculously priced from what I've seen. Anything over $18k doesn't make sense, since it's such an old car now imo.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Hah! I assure you the roads here are not perfect. I live in the Bay Area and although there have been some improvements, it is far from perfect. Major freeways have patches of good road, but where there's alot of traffic, roads are terrible, and I really got to find out how bad when I had my s2000. The TL absorbed those imperfections quite nicely though.

You want come to Houston southwest area and find out what bad road really like? Houston road already claimed my front struts.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

You want come to Houston southwest area and find out what bad road really like? Houston road already claimed my front struts.
Haha not really. Just like any other person raised in CA, our problems are really small in scale compared to other cities. We bitch when it rains a bit and that's nothing compared to how crazy weather gets in Houston
Old 10-21-2015, 02:59 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Haha not really. Just like any other person raised in CA, our problems are really small in scale compared to other cities. We bitch when it rains a bit and that's nothing compared to how crazy weather gets in Houston
Don't forget, we bitch when it rains, when its too hot, when its too cold, when there's too much cloud cover. We're just never satisfied
dezymond (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just got back from the dealer and test drove the Accord EX-L trim. Very nice, and the tech is great! Seats are comfy, leather is nice, visibility, and feels extremely light. My only and biggest gripe is the road noise. I understand our TLs are luxury brand, but an 8yr old car is quieter than a brand new Accord, cmon. Don't get me wrong it's quieter than my sister's 2013 Accord, but I was a bit underwhelmed.

Drove the 4cyl, and it has enough power for day to day use, and great on mpg which is why I'm considering the 4cyl because of my daily commuting. Maybe if I throw on a better set of tires it'll improve but it was just alot more road noise than I expected. That being said, I don't think road noise will be a dealbreaker for me, after all I did drive with the radio off during the test drive.

Next stop Acura sometime this week hopefully.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:27 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
I just got back from the dealer and test drove the Accord EX-L trim. Very nice, and the tech is great! Seats are comfy, leather is nice, visibility, and feels extremely light. My only and biggest gripe is the road noise. I understand our TLs are luxury brand, but an 8yr old car is quieter than a brand new Accord, cmon. Don't get me wrong it's quieter than my sister's 2013 Accord, but I was a bit underwhelmed.

Drove the 4cyl, and it has enough power for day to day use, and great on mpg which is why I'm considering the 4cyl because of my daily commuting. Maybe if I throw on a better set of tires it'll improve but it was just alot more road noise than I expected. That being said, I don't think road noise will be a dealbreaker for me, after all I did drive with the radio off during the test drive.

From my personal experience, a few Hondas that I sat in had that outrageous road noise. I don't know if its on every model, but I've heard it in the Accords and Civics mainly. That's just me though. My cousin's 98' 4Runner is quiet as hell compared to the modern day Hondas.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Honda vs Acura

I am confident you will leave the Acura dealership knowing the car you want, and it will be an Acura of course. The issue is always budget though when dealing with newish Acuras...

I just went ahead and built one for you

Last edited by Clint08TLNAV; 10-21-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Built
Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

I would wait for the 2017 MMC TLX, one more year and may be they will bring the Type S back lol.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
I would wait for the 2017 MMC TLX, one more year and may be they will bring the Type S back lol.
haha, they've been saying that since 2008. acura done messed up!
Old 10-22-2015, 12:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think I can wait that long tbh. Otherwise I'll be borrowing cars for a long time....
Old 10-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

I would just get a decent used one and run around until the new one come out, No car payment is better than making car payment and end up trade it in a year later or so for more debt imo. Your money man get the TLX now if it fit your bill.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
100% loss
Rear quarter panel is the most expensive to fix.. not that that's fixable.

Quick Reply: Highway rear end....TL is totaled, it seems.