Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Wear and Tear

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 04:05 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question HID Wear and Tear

With regard to maximizing HID life, which of the following actions shortens the life of the HIDs more:

1. Blinking the lights while they're off so they are only on for a quarter-second or so
2. Driving with them on all the time
3. Only turning them on when it's dark, but for longer than a few seconds at a time

I'm trying to figure out if it is the starting of the lights that damages them more or just burn time. I notice when I turn them on there is an initial "blink!" that is quite bright, followed by steady light that grows whiter over a couple of seconds until they are at full, stable brightness. Does shutting them off before they reach this steady state cause additional wear?
Old 02-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
When you turn on HIDs is when they fire up, for like a second or so it fades up high and then becomes steady. I dont know if shutting it off at that moment causes additional wear but I cant imagine that turning then on an off a lot would be good. I am just guessing on that. Driving with them all the time meaning during the day reduces the life definitely.

I think that turning them on and off a lot isnt good since it reaches 150Ws for the first few seconds and then settles at 40W or so.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:52 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Well, to answer my own questions, I found an interesting read about HID aircraft lights. Of note is the following paragraph:
A metal halide lamp does not like frequent starting, therefore pulsing landing light systems are not recommended. If used, lamp life expectancy is greatly reduced. Starting causes wear on the electrodes. Excessive evaporation of electrode material will deposit it onto the inner surface of the arc tube which results in darkening and overheating of the arc tube. In D1 and D2 and some other metal halide lamps, there is a halogen cycle which cleans deposited tungsten electrode material from the inner surface of the arc tube. Prolonged continuous operation at proper internal temperatures is required for the halogen cycle to work.
So, to maximize life, it looks like it is best to only use them when needed and leave them on long enough for the halogen cycle to work.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenoise
Well, to answer my own questions, I found an interesting read about HID aircraft lights. Of note is the following paragraph:

So, to maximize life, it looks like it is best to only use them when needed and leave them on long enough for the halogen cycle to work.
That's what I have been doing for a long time, and I told my Service Advisor to inform his techs of not flashing my HIDs...

Btw, as for life of HIDs, we have many threads discussing this topic but it's hard to reach the verdict about how long HIDs would last...
Old 02-24-2005, 05:50 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess what guys... if your factory alarm goes off, your HIDs blink. When I found out I was so annoyed!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
HID lamps (High Intensity Discharge) operate by electrically excited gas giving off a brilliant light. The metal halide lamps with the problem of electrode material adhering to the inner surfaces of the lamp is a condition found in all electric lamps with tungsten filaments. The condition is referred to as "tungsten boil-off" and is very noticable in flourescent lamps that have been operating for some time.

The major problem with rapid turning on and off of our HIDs is ballast wear. Actually, even basic incandescent lamps should not be turned on and off quickly because of tungsten boil off and shortened life.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
HID lamps (High Intensity Discharge) operate by electrically excited gas giving off a brilliant light. The metal halide lamps with the problem of electrode material adhering to the inner surfaces of the lamp is a condition found in all electric lamps with tungsten filaments. The condition is referred to as "tungsten boil-off" and is very noticable in flourescent lamps that have been operating for some time.

The major problem with rapid turning on and off of our HIDs is ballast wear. Actually, even basic incandescent lamps should not be turned on and off quickly because of tungsten boil off and shortened life.
I hope you're right about this... that's why I hate ppl to abuse my HIDs...

Thanks.
Originally Posted by rets
... I told my Service Advisor to inform his techs of not flashing my HIDs...
Old 02-24-2005, 10:20 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rets
I hope you're right about this... that's why I hate ppl to abuse my HIDs...

Thanks.
Make sure you don't inadvertently set off your car alarm either!
Old 02-25-2005, 02:45 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyone of you out there noticing your HID is changing more bluer as you wear them in???? Maybe it is just me!! However, don't you all notice the 2nd GEN TL's HID is very Purple???
Old 02-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ed99
Anyone of you out there noticing your HID is changing more bluer as you wear them in???? Maybe it is just me!! However, don't you all notice the 2nd GEN TL's HID is very Purple???
Like all incedescent bulbs, they will loose light output and dim with usage. HIDs are not immune. As they get dimmer with use, the light outputed will start to shift towards the bluer end of the spectrum which explains why Gen 2 TLs have white or bluer headlights and ours is a little yellow.

dsc888