Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID headlight question

So from reading in the forums, I have come up with a couple basic ideas about HID lights.

1) It is bad to flash your lights on and off as the on/off affects longevity more than actual usage does.

I'm not sure that anyone will actually be able to answer this - but has this actually been confirmed or tested? Or is this one of those theories that sounds good, and there really isn't any value for arguing the point?

2) Our Bi-Xenons do not actually have 2 filiments like standard high/low beam headlights. Our high-beams work by a reflector moving and allowing more light in a higher <is range the right word here?>

Does this mean that it's OK to flash high beams as long as your headlights are on? I do quite a bit of highway traveling, and am respectful towards semi's and such. It is generally a common practice to flash semi's for lane changes for those of you that may not be familiar with this. (It appears this really only happens outside of the city limits from what I can tell).

So if the above 2 statements are true - than it would be much better to flash your high beams in a situation like that (or like some asshole cut you off or something), rather than to do a reverse flash (instead of going low to high, go from low to off).

Anyone want to pipe in with their thoughts? It's a very slow day at work today so I thought I would throw this out there. I've thought about it a few times.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:01 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
1) Yes - ballasts don't like that

2) Yes... it's OK to flash

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
So from reading in the forums, I have come up with a couple basic ideas about HID lights.

1) It is bad to flash your lights on and off as the on/off affects longevity more than actual usage does.

I'm not sure that anyone will actually be able to answer this - but has this actually been confirmed or tested? Or is this one of those theories that sounds good, and there really isn't any value for arguing the point?

2) Our Bi-Xenons do not actually have 2 filiments like standard high/low beam headlights. Our high-beams work by a reflector moving and allowing more light in a higher <is range the right word here?>

Does this mean that it's OK to flash high beams as long as your headlights are on? I do quite a bit of highway traveling, and am respectful towards semi's and such. It is generally a common practice to flash semi's for lane changes for those of you that may not be familiar with this. (It appears this really only happens outside of the city limits from what I can tell).

So if the above 2 statements are true - than it would be much better to flash your high beams in a situation like that (or like some asshole cut you off or something), rather than to do a reverse flash (instead of going low to high, go from low to off).

Anyone want to pipe in with their thoughts? It's a very slow day at work today so I thought I would throw this out there. I've thought about it a few times.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Another well recognized signaling method by truckers- when they signal- if you turn YOUR same side signal on- thats an ALL CLEAR sign- that you will move over a lane, or not move up on them in the current lane. They see that and will make their move wthout question!

The flashing of hi beam is common- but depending on how its used, can indicate DO NOT come in my lane!!! as in- you are running up from a blind spot - up their side and will pass them quickly.
Always watch the onramps, and please give trucks and stupid people in cars some room.
Truckers are at work- I give them right of way based just on that~