Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with US TL exported to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:08 AM
05 TL -Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with US TL exported to Canada

Just thought I would post this to see if there are any people who work in an Acura Dealer who can help me. I recently purchased an 2005 TL from the US. In order for me to get my plates in Canada, I am required to get a "recall clearance letter from a US dealer.) I know that my vehicle does not have any outstanding recalls. Could someone perhaps help me out in getting a letter from a dealer somewhere in the US? By chance is there anyone? I will be willing to give you something for your time. Please PM me if you can help.
thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder why you couldn't get that from a Canadian dealer? Don't they access the same database? All Ford dealers access OASIS. I'll bet Acura is the same way.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:45 AM
05 TL -Anthracite

well according to the RIV site, it says that you must obtain it from an American Dealer.
Quote:

A recall clearance letter is a letter received from the manufacturer of your vehicle. It states whether or not there are any outstanding recalls/defects on your vehicle. Generally a defect is a problem that exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment that will pose a risk to motor vehicle safety.

The recall letter must come from either the manufacturers head office or an American dealer. If you obtain the letter from an American dealer, please ensure that they are an authorized dealer and not a re-seller. You can confirm this by calling the head office of the manufacturer and providing them with the location of the dealership in question.

The letter must be on company letterhead. If the manufacturer's logo is not on the letter the RIV will not accept it. If the letter is from an American dealership, the address of the dealership must be included as well as the manager's name and signature. The VIN (17 digit vehicle identification number) must be included in the letter.

If you are importing a Motor home, Bus, Truck, Conversion Van or Limousine, it is possible that you will require 2 recall letters. For example if you have a motor home where the manufacturer of the chassis is not the same as the manufacturer of the body, you will need 2 letters. In this case the recall letter from the manufacturer of the body will say "Please contact the chassis manufacturer for recall information". It is your responsibility to determine the number of recall letters that are necessary. The manufacturer of your vehicle can assist with this.

If your vehicle does not have any outstanding recalls then the letter should say "this vehicle has no outstanding recalls".

If the vehicle has an outstanding recall(s), then the letter must state what the recall is, along with the work order number so that the vehicle can be taken to an authorized dealer for repair. Once the repairs have been completed, the dealer will provide you with an invoice that contains the same work order number as your recall letter. You will then take the recall letter with the invoice from the dealer to your federal inspection as proof that the outstanding recall has been completed.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:49 PM
dre596

schaller acura of manchester ct

Originally Posted by musical1
Just thought I would post this to see if there are any people who work in an Acura Dealer who can help me. I recently purchased an 2005 TL from the US. In order for me to get my plates in Canada, I am required to get a "recall clearance letter from a US dealer.) I know that my vehicle does not have any outstanding recalls. Could someone perhaps help me out in getting a letter from a dealer somewhere in the US? By chance is there anyone? I will be willing to give you something for your time. Please PM me if you can help.
thanks
schaller acura should fax you a letter just email them schalleracura.com no i dont work for them
Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Are they not also concerned the TL your importing has no DRLs?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by musical1
thanks
why dont u try the acura dealership you got ur TL? Unless it was a non area dealer.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:28 AM
Acuuura

I bought my 06 TL in the US as well. (36k CDN, compared to 45k CDN here in Vancouver) I told the dealership i needed a recall letter and they got one from carfax on the spot, no letterhead either and RIV didn't care. They were impressed by the carfax printout and so was Canadian Tire when i did the inspections. The dealership got it for me free, but i just googled carfax and on www.carfax.com you can pay $19.99(U.S) for the report, download and print it and you're good to go.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:13 AM
05 TL -Anthracite

thanks for the suggestion with the carfax report. I do currently have it, so I will take it to the canadian tire and hopefully they will accept it.
I guess I need to get some DRL on this car asap, and take it in for the inspection.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Cruisin'

Carfax is the only way as I was exploring this option as well. I called Acura in America's head office and they said we don't give out recall letters.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by binjon
I bought my 06 TL in the US as well. (36k CDN, compared to 45k CDN here in Vancouver) I told the dealership i needed a recall letter and they got one from carfax on the spot, no letterhead either and RIV didn't care. They were impressed by the carfax printout and so was Canadian Tire when i did the inspections. The dealership got it for me free, but i just googled carfax and on www.carfax.com you can pay $19.99(U.S) for the report, download and print it and you're good to go.
Wow...You can just buy it in the states cheaper, and just import it/bring it back to vancouver, BC at nearly no extra cost? and they let you?
Old 08-08-2006, 03:59 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
This sounds suspiciously like a cannuck version of the nigerian scam!!

You sneaky evil Canadians!

"When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly — asking you for help – you help. His father ran the freaking country ok?" -The Office