Sponsored by:

Help Me!!! I Don't Know What To Do!!! Need A Type-S Owner Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:21 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me!!! I Don't Know What To Do!!! Need A Type-S Owner Guidance

Hi guys,

I have my 08 NBP Base TL for two months now & I'm feeling really disappointed cause I now want a 08 Type-S TL and I don't know what to do . The only reason I didn't get a Type-S in the first place was because my sister and brother-in-law went to the dealership with me and my parents to help look for a car for me. They wanted me to pretty much get the Basic of Base TL that was on the lot because if it was to break down it wouldn't cost as much to fix, if it had a Navi. its cost more to remove the Navi. and fix the car. ( That true but what the odds of a brand new 08 car break down seriously )

So yea pretty much because they did all the talking because my parent aren't really good at English and say that no Navi because it just cost more money. I didn't even look at a Type-S at the dealership because I would of being angry knowing I could never get it. At the moment I was just excited to even get a TL because all my friends drive a TL. But now I kinda want to trade my Base TL in for a Type-S but I don't know how much more I'll be paying for it?

I help my parents pay and we pay around $539.00 a month for 5 years term contract and we put down 5g for my 08 Base TL ok, so how much will it be for if I traded my 08 Base TL for a Type-S will I be losing money or what? I don't know I'm so confuse but I really want a Type-S so bad .

Can someone help me with the numbers, like how much I'll be paying more for a Type-S, to tell the truth if they had an 07 Type-S TL in the lot I could of most like got that instead but they didn't have any left since it was Christmas season when I went car shopping I'm so mad .

I'm so sorry for being such a loser guys but honestly why wouldn't you pay 3g to 5g more to get the top line of the car you want. I know I'm whine like a baby even though I didn't bought the car my parents did, I just help due payments cause the bought it for me. I should be thankful to them for getting me even TL, but man this site drive me crazy see all these nice Type-S in the gallery section.

But serious can someone lend me a shoulder and give a hand please with the numbers and I'll do the rest like sit and talk to my parent/sister about it, trying to convince them in trade it for a Type-S.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be unfair to your sister/parents and unwise financially to consider the Type S at this point. It is also unfair to blame them for making an unwise buying decision.
Maybe they know you better than you know yourself. You probably aren't skilled enough to make use of the added power of the TL-S yet.

Learn to appreciate what you have. It is certainly more than 95% of other 17 y/o's.
In a year or two, the '09's will have had first year problems minimized. If you are still in a position to make a move at that point, it would be better.

Save some money, and invest in a defensive driving school in your area. It will make you enjoy and appreciate what you have more.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:58 AM
71Q

Honestly, im on the same page as S PAW ,

Seriously, dont bother trading, you wont believe the things i regret from about 10 years ago. You have a nice, reliable, comfortable TL that has a warranty. Enjoy yourself, and apply that desire to more. If you belive me or not, a lot will change in the next 5-7 years for you, especially with money and driving, and i promise, you will lose money trading a car at that rate. It will most likely be an amount that it is not worth to get a Type S.

Honestly, to me, the Type S isnt enough more car to buy one. I love the looks and all, but an extra 20bhp and some other minor changes arent enough to make me turn my 05 into a type s. Enjoy the car, you wouldnt believe some of the crapboxes ive driven, so dont take the car for granted. I wish i did more of that before i turned 20.

good luck,
enjoy the TL
Mark
Old 03-18-2008, 06:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 722ish
Honestly, im on the same page as S PAW ,

Seriously, dont bother trading, you wont believe the things i regret from about 10 years ago. You have a nice, reliable, comfortable TL that has a warranty. Enjoy yourself, and apply that desire to more. If you belive me or not, a lot will change in the next 5-7 years for you, especially with money and driving, and i promise, you will lose money trading a car at that rate. It will most likely be an amount that it is not worth to get a Type S.

Honestly, to me, the Type S isnt enough more car to buy one. I love the looks and all, but an extra 20bhp and some other minor changes arent enough to make me turn my 05 into a type s. Enjoy the car, you wouldnt believe some of the crapboxes ive driven, so dont take the car for granted. I wish i did more of that before i turned 20.

good luck,
enjoy the TL
Mark
well said and yea, I'm loving my base TL. I wouldn't trade it in and take a huge hit financially just for those few extras. I could careless about nav, minimal horsepower gain and those ugly rims.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
IMHO- be thankful for what you have and keep the 08. Spend some $$ on some mods like a RSB, Pro-Cats, Pulley, intake and an exhaust and you will have similar type performance #'s to an S and not take such a huge loss at the bank. You can also buy an aftermarket Navi as well.

You have a really nice car @ 17- be thankful and call it a day.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:47 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

rather than trade mod it up it will cancel out the 20 or so hp

type s tails + sidemarkers $200
atlp catback $1050
type s rear lip $250
in dash double din dvd nav custom install $1500 (something like that)
intake $150-$250
lightweight pulley $200
spacer kit $100
p2r tb spacer $120
wheels tires suspension
Old 03-18-2008, 07:30 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was in a similar situation. I saved up 5 grand and my parents matched me 5. We downed 10, and the situation is whether to get a TL or a TL-S. I started car searching when I was 15, and after a LONG time, when I turned 17, I seriously started searching. I went test driving over 20 dealerships. Then my brother got an 06 TL A-Spec... thats when my search ended. I started going to Acura dealers ( we have 4-5 around me within 100 miles) August 06, the 07 Type-S were coming out... and everybodys waiting. I got a deal with 2.9% APR on an 06 for 33000(before taxes and fees). I turned it down... more shopping around... considered a used GS300... but the I went back to the TL. It was Halloween, we went back to the same dealer for the 3rd time now.. negociating. Everytime we left, they would call me back in 3-4 days offering a lower price. Now... the Type-S was out by then, and I had a choice between forking up 39,999 for a Type-S or 31,000 for a TL.
Although I wanted the Type-S, I would rather save 8,000. Now I make payments and am almost done. I've sent every paycheck to my loaner, and its the best feeling I can ever have.

If I were you, I'd stick to that TL and just make payments yourself(if you can). It feels great to have something that is "yours" and you're paying for it.

Plus, wait til your car breaks in... under that hood sits a VERY strong engine.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
ok, so you are 17 and have a brand new TL...and you are not happy?!?!?!

enjoy what you have, it could be alot worse. when i was your age i drove a POS Chrysler Lebaron 4-banger, not cool, but it did the job.

save your money, buy a better aftermarket GPS that you can mod, and buy a few aftermarket items to make your TL all that it can be. i would love to have a TL-S, but i am more than happy with my modded base TL.

my last word of advice would be to get to know your car and do your own work. if you love red lights, switch them out. if you like ugly rims, go out and buy them. you like metal pedals, they are out there and waiting for you to install. you want some more hp, well, there are plenty of options to help improve that.

but whatever you do, dont trade!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Advanced

does it really matter? you should be grateful as long as you have a car and not taking public transportation.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
what a baby....get real kid
Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you got a base TL, eh? Some points to convince you that you got a great car for your purposes....

1. the fact that your 17, and basically a new driver, im sure your parents will be accompanying you on many of the rides that you go on, i.e store runs and the sort. Given that, do them the favor of allowing them to ride in comfort, on the softer, yet firm, TL-base suspension.
2. The Type-S comes with navi...but ask yourself, how often will you use it? To tell you the truth, my navi screen stays black 90% of the times. Also, at a young age, you need to hone your navigational skills.
3. In a few months, youll be like "screw the type s, i want the 09!!!!", so just hold up on those horses a bit, and enjoy what you got for the moment.
4. No matter how mature you may think you are, you probably are not, lol. Juss joking, but back to the point. The Base TL is already pretty peppy, and given your age and curiosity, im sure youre gonna want to punch it a few times, here and there. Not a big deal, but save your parents the extra worry of their child wanting to experiment with Type-S cuz the more hp will probably tempt your heart just a little bit more. Its like friggin candy!
5. Mannnnnnnnnnnn! I was bumming off my sister and parents till i was 22! lol. Finally then did i get my "first car". My busted ass was taking a school bus and walking all the time at 17! Dad always told "god gave your feet, walk."
6. Youre still the P.I.M.P in your school parking lot and Youre probably making your HS teachers jealous.
7. In the future, you always want to "upgrade" so if you start high now, its more difficult to "upgrade" in the future
8. Youre gonna loose money. A Vehicle is a dead investment (i believe this kind of talk is blasphamy on AZine....)

Hope these points help. You got a nice ride. Enjoy it.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:54 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Enjoy your ride.
At 17 I couldn't afford a $30K+ car (probably about $20K back then adjust for inflation).
I had the money to buy a used car, but my parents wouldn't even let me buy it.
Their answer was, you live in NYC, you don't need a car. They were right and they are right 98% of the time.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Intermediate

I bought a Base model 08 and I love it...
Man.......I have nothing to say........
I think it's different when you buy the car with your own hard earned money....can I get an Amen....
Old 03-18-2008, 09:24 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
amen
Old 03-18-2008, 09:40 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Sorry, but I agree with the above.

- Be thankful for what you have and learn to APPRECIATE it;
- Learn to handle and take car of the car you have; at your age (level of experience, not necessarily level of maturity) a Type-S is just an accident waiting to happen; Fact is, your age group is dangerous in ANY car. No need to up the ante.
- You (or your family) will be throwing away several thousand dollars on a trade;
- You can mod what you've got (and learn a lot about your car from it).

(If all this advice doesn't work for you, please reveiw the thread below, the video link and the similar videos. Then consider making a vidoe of your own, because you'll be right up there with the rest of the spoiled whiners:

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/girl-cries-over-getting-lexus-386821/ ).
Old 03-18-2008, 09:49 AM
SKW
Intermediate

Grass is always greener... I'm guessing this is your 1st car, not to jinx you but accidents happen. Best to get your experience now rather than on the car that you really want. Everyone here can prob atest to the fact that knowing how to drive and having experience driving are 2 completely different things. Only time teaches you how to be a good driver. If you trade now, that 5k you put down is only gonna benefit the dealer and the next owner getting an '08 w/ low miles for cheap. Let's not mention the extra payments you're now taking on. I know you've heard it time and time again but when I was your age I so wish I listened when ppl told me to INVEST!

BTW, there's alwarys gonna be another car you wanna trade for. When I was 17 I was handed down the family Volvo 740 wagon to drive to school but I wanted to trade it for a Volvo 850R. A year later i did trade for a base Mazda Millenia but soon wanted the Millenia S. Then my love for BMW's grew so when the Millenia got rear ended I got my 528 and of couse soon wanted to trade for a 540. So what I'm saying is that even if you did get a Type-S now, when the '09 comes out you'll like that, and then when the Type-S for that comes out... well you get the point.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I have a similar problem!

I don't want my Type-S, I want a Bugatti instead! Help!

We all strive to keep up with latest technological advances in cars and electronics. Fact is every few months something new and exciting comes out, and it is human nature to chase it.

To the OP, as many have mentioned above, you can mod the car, or start saving for another car, so in 5 years, you'll have want you really want. But first realize the difference between 'want' and 'need'.

All the best
Old 03-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Kid, I think the overall sentiment is that you are whining. You should be grateful that you have parents who bought you a brand new car. The TL is probably more car than what 70-80% of Americans drive. Sure everyone would love more amenities or power in their car but you're not the one buying. Your parents probably wanted to stay under a certain budget. You know that's what adults do to prevent themselves from spending frivolously.

There's no sympathy here from me for your "plight."
Old 03-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Drifting

Be happy with your brand new car kid...don't be a spoiled brat.....thank your parents for getting you a new car. There are plenty of people who would die to have a car like yours.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by knighthawk
but man this site drive me crazy see all these nice Type-S in the gallery section.

This worries me.....please dont be envious of what others have. Most Type-S owners are much older than you and much more established in life (meaning, their foundations for the furture have been set). Comparing what you have to what others have, will eventually lead you to financial and personal ruin. You must learn now, at your younger age, to be happy with what things you have. And not to be so materialistic.....I hope your parents dont fold to your persuasive methods.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks guy for your supports in all

I realize that I am really thankful to my parents for even getting me this car. I'm the youngest out of my friends and have the most expensive ride too. I'm happy with my 08 NBP Base TL of course but I guess I kinda wanted the Type-S because it was more sporty ness, I'm having a difficult with my whole family because they won't let me do any mods to my car, like I don't know a thing or two about cars. I been a good kid my who life, never got in trouble finish high school early, got a job, and I give up a lot just to be the son they wanted.

So yea I didn't really have much friends and go out as much, I stay home most of the time spending with the family, so now I'm at the age where boys teenager thinks all about modding their rides you know what I mean right. You guys where once my age, I guess really I wanted the Type-S for its sporty little upgrade than for a Base TL because they won't let me mod my car. I would say I'm whine I'll admit that like man but I don't think I'm spoil, I work hard and show them, making my friends parents wishing their kid was like me. But I would to thanks you all for wise comments and make me feel better about have my Base TL. So I guess your guys are right and I'll stick to my 08 Base TL, who know later in the future await me.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:07 PM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If I were you I would keep the base 08 and never mod it. You will never get anything for money you put into it.

I know that it seems like a "cool" thing to do but it is not a good investment for anyone let alone some who is 17.

I am guessing the reason why if your thinking of it as "only $ 40 more per month" which is the wrong way to think about it.

House down payment > TL type S
Old 03-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Racer

i would actually trade out for 07 TL-S for a base 08 and customize it any way I want. :-D
Old 03-18-2008, 12:19 PM
19UUA75577A

Mmmmmm Type-S 6MT is the only TL I can handle driving. But then, I can't handle any automatic, it always feels like the clutch is slipping.

So I say: Sell a kidney, you have two..
Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Registered speed offender

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
its not worth the money to trade,i had a car for 2 months and it was already breaking so i decided i will just get rid of it so i traded it in for my 06 nav tl,which only had test drive miles..

long story short,

i lost so much money on my trade in,unless i had 8,000 dollars to add on top of the trade i owed alot,and i only had half of that,came out owing

44,000$ for my TL
so now i have a
650$/mo car payment for 8 years.

be happy with what u have and dont waste the money,my parents wouldnt even let me get my LICENSE till i was 18,just kick your sister next time she wants to make your decisions for you.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Admiral Crunch

Originally Posted by vinnier6
what a baby....get real kid

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AGpvM4O5Ml4
Old 03-18-2008, 01:01 PM
2020 RDX A-Spec

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deltaboxxx
44,000$ for my TL
so now i have a
650$/mo car payment for 8 years.
8 yrs????

so the sales/finance guy comes back to you and says, "Here's what we can do....how does a payment of $640 a month for the next 8 years sound to you???" and then you said, "Sounds awesome, where do I sign??"...

is your interest rate about 9%??? after making 4 years of payments on that car, you will still owe nearly $26K...ouch...

That is great that you have the confidence to keep a job that will allow you to make that car payment for 8 years...good luck...
Old 03-18-2008, 05:29 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
^^ damnnnnn $$44k...650/mo for 8 years? so i am guessing you took negative equity on your old trade?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Acuras Only in

Dayammmm ... I was riding either a bicycle, #11 bus, or the public trans when I was 17 ...

It's not about getting what you want, rather wanting what you get ... so a base TL is good enough car for you now ... any plan for college?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by teomcdohl
exactly....that girl as well as the original poster would we walking....
Old 03-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Instructor

yeh you should cherish your base tl like i do with mine, i could of gotten a NBP type s but wasn't really feelin' the two tone interior so instead i got a base WDP w/ navi. mmm...mmm. i'm lovin' it.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:25 PM

yes lots of negative 8k. I told the guyif he gets my car payment no more than 650 I will buy so they did. I think my apr is 4% but I dont remember. Anyway my wife is in the military so our only bills are my car and normal bills. No rent no utilities and free medical/dental. Once I establish myself fully in my career I will be making upwards of 100k a year let alone my wifes income. so I am comfortable. She is getting a g37 coupe after her next deployment.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by knighthawk
Thanks guy for your supports in all

I realize that I am really thankful to my parents for even getting me this car. I'm the youngest out of my friends and have the most expensive ride too. I'm happy with my 08 NBP Base TL of course but I guess I kinda wanted the Type-S because it was more sporty ness, I'm having a difficult with my whole family because they won't let me do any mods to my car, like I don't know a thing or two about cars. I been a good kid my who life, never got in trouble finish high school early, got a job, and I give up a lot just to be the son they wanted.

So yea I didn't really have much friends and go out as much, I stay home most of the time spending with the family, so now I'm at the age where boys teenager thinks all about modding their rides you know what I mean right. You guys where once my age, I guess really I wanted the Type-S for its sporty little upgrade than for a Base TL because they won't let me mod my car. I would say I'm whine I'll admit that like man but I don't think I'm spoil, I work hard and show them, making my friends parents wishing their kid was like me. But I would to thanks you all for wise comments and make me feel better about have my Base TL. So I guess your guys are right and I'll stick to my 08 Base TL, who know later in the future await me.
here guys that what I wrote this morning before I left for work i get it
Old 03-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Safety Car

yes lots of negative 8k. I told the guyif he gets my car payment no more than 650 I will buy so they did. I think my apr is 4% but I dont remember. Anyway my wife is in the military so our only bills are my car and normal bills. No rent no utilities and free medical/dental. Once I establish myself fully in my career I will be making upwards of 100k a year let alone my wifes income. so I am comfortable. She is getting a g37 coupe after her next deployment.
i hope she gets a better deal than you did...you are soo going to regret this deal in a few years when you want to get rid of the car but cant....you are soo upside down in that thing its not even funny....but since its not me, it is funny...please be careful with your credit bro...
Old 03-18-2008, 08:57 PM

i knew when i bought this car i was stuck with it,
and its not my credit its daddys credit.
i have no regrets,i havent had any of the complaints u guys have about rattling squeeks or broken shit so i am content,
besides if i ever want to get rid of it i can just pay the difference,its not like i didnt know it was comming..
Old 03-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Advanced

I am not sure if I would tell the dealer the monthly payment that I want. I would negotiate for the purchase price of the car and then work out the monthly payment. If you tell them what you want to pay monthly, they will give you that monthly payment and they will stretch it out longer. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:32 PM

no,i did negotiate,they wanted much more because of my negative equity,but i told them if they couldnt get me under 650 i wasnt buying,they got under there pretty good but then i got the acura care and gap insurance and that added like 3K or something like that,its been a year so i dont remember exactly. but that brought me up to 651 dollars a month.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:16 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm 17 too and I have a Type-S. It's not the fastest car I've ever driven and it's definitely not too much power for me. Granted, I honestly do know what the hell I'm doing when I drive and don't take as many risks as others.

Bottom line, if you're parents can't afford it, you don't get it.

Just my .
Old 03-19-2008, 01:35 PM

I think all 17 yr olds "know what they are doing behind the wheel. " and that none of you everrrr do anything irresponsible in ur car.

Bottom line is....and I'm sure alot of people will agree,17yr olds aren't professional race car drivers no matter how much you guys think you are. And most of u dont appreciate shit your parents do for you (hence lexus girl video) but some of u do so props to any kid that DOES diserve and appreciate your TL
Old 03-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Intermediate

appreciate what you have is agreed and also make the best of it throw a SC in if your unhappy ..

Quick Reply: Help Me!!! I Don't Know What To Do!!! Need A Type-S Owner Guidance